Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

They better sign Jinny before half the people on the 50/50 and lower tiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I don't see Toni Storm signing, because she still has a ton of stardom dates advertised, and is holding onto one of their titles.

^^Potential MYC spoilers above

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

international people will always take months longer to be roster-ready so that's not really disqualifying imo. jinny is, like, fine.

https://twitter.com/SHIMMERwomen/status/902331097874395137

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

I don't see Toni Storm signing, because she still has a ton of stardom dates advertised, and is holding onto one of their titles.

^^Potential MYC spoilers above

if the money's right, none of that other stuff matters.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

I really don't expect more than a small handful of signings from this.

It is very hard to get their thinking sometimes. You'll drive yourself crazy.

But Jazzy and Shayna are pretty academic at this point. Heard positive things about Mercedes and Deeb possibly being coaches.

Of the younger people, Miranda Salinas is the main person with signing buzz.

Wish I knew more about the indie darling type competitors. But I've heard little if anything they seem to have been just brought in for buzz and are kind of being overlooked from my perspective.

rovert fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 29, 2017

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I watched the first two episodes and was a bit underwhelmed. The field of 32 wasn't deep so there were some clunky matches in there. JR and Lita are not good together (neither could call a move to save their lives) and the crowd is oddly dead. I guess it is just the typical Full Sail crowd that easily tuckers out and probably isn't as familiar with women's wrestling. I could see round 2 really picking up with the talent there, so I'm optimistic.

More detailed thoughts:

Episode 1

They couldn't find a better match of the 16 to open the tournament with? Sugehit and Kay Lee Ray were like oil and water and the finish fell totally flat.

Zeda was green as hell but there's potential. Having her talk about being bullied and then get soundly trounced by a bully was a bad look. Shayna probably gave too much even in this squash so I'm looking forward to her really getting to mix it up next round. Props to the dude who took a picture of Ronda's rear end while on camera for letting us all know he is a piece of poo poo.

Jazzy Gabert rules

Episode 2

Bless Mercedes Martinez for trying to walk Xia through that match. It looked very much like someone who can do cool kicks was given a vague idea of wresting and told to go.

What was that mentioned about Evers winning on an audible? That match was rough.

Rhea Ripley is going to be a star. She's mad charismatic and also tall as hell. Salinas had good character work but "tiny, arrogant rear end in a top hat" is a niche already filled in WWE.

Yim/Logan was the first match that seemed to live up to the tournament's potential. Sucks that one woman had to lose because they both looked good here. I hope Sarah Logan somehow morphs into a country shield maiden.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Toni Storm is GOOD for as young as she is. I hope WWE doesn't ruin her.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

rovert posted:

Of the younger people, Miranda Salinas is the main person with signing buzz.

That's really funny because i thought she was one of the worst people there.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Caught up tonight

Episode 3

Toni Storm is so awesome and she oozes confidence. Kavita really only knew how to do a couple of things but she and Dakota probably had the best match possible with that limitation. The difference in how more experienced wrestlers lay in their strikes is really apparent in the first four episodes. Dakota's yakuza kick was brutal. Pretty surprised that Bianca Belair got the win but I'm not complaining. The hair attack rules. Piper Niven is the biggest winner of the first round for me. She looked awesome.

Episode 4

Candice has a great finisher with a great name and I'm glad she got to advance to face a better opponent in the second round. For those who have read all the spoilers, is Nicole Savoy's injury legit? I was concerned for her during the official announcement. Taynara Conti looks to have potential but if Ronda actual gets into wrestling, Conti is hosed because there won't be two judoka. Lacey Evans has a terrible gimmick but at least she uses the Dudebuster. Kairi/Tessa will likely be the Ibushi/Alexander of this tournament where it should have happened later. Hell of a start for Sane's WWE run though. The crowd went nuts when she signaled for the elbow. Everything about her presentation from her gear to her Ni No Kuni traveling music is just perfect.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I really wanted to yell at basically all of them to work faster and stiffer. I guess it doesn't really help that these are people who are working together for the first time but a lot of time all the striking and power moves just looks slow and tentative.

I will be happy if German Nia Jax is signed though. Other than Kairi she was the only one to really connect with the crowd.

I like Rhea Ripley, but I don't know if being basically Australian Charlotte is a good or bad thing for her chances in WWE.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

MrBling posted:

I will be happy if German Nia Jax is signed though. Other than Kairi she was the only one to really connect with the crowd.

Possibly good news on that front? Posted to YouTube yesterday, and it probably falls outside of spoiler realm because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DB7Ji6qoSk

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay I laughed really hard at (episode 4): "PRETEND SHE'S TOMASSO!"

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

skaboomizzy posted:

My general opinion is that 32 was right at the upper limit for this kind of thing; there were a few more obvious projects here than in the CWC. 24 with some byes would've maybe been better watching, but I'm glad all of them got some exposure and know what style WWE wants if they decide to go that direction in their careers. Everyone who's gone can hopefully earn some more on the indies or know what they need to do to get to the PC. Overall I'm pretty pleased and I really hope it picks up from now like the CWC.[/spoiler]

The level of competitors is entirely down to the WWE. They could have easily had 32 wrestlers of a decent level and experience but they filled the brackets with PC trainees, including at least one having her first match anywhere, as well as just bad choices like Marti Belle and Renee Michelle.

As far as the level of matches it's important to look at the previous tournaments and see how they have done them. Both the CWC and the UK tournament used the first round to introduce the competitors and sow the seeds for the storylines. Match quality was heavily throttled back in both cases until the last match where they were allowed to do more. They did the same here, but even more pronounced because of the level of most of the losers. Match quality should make a huge leap for the rest of the tournament.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The level of competitors is entirely down to the WWE. They could have easily had 32 wrestlers of a decent level and experience but they filled the brackets with PC trainees, including at least one having her first match anywhere, as well as just bad choices like Marti Belle and Renee Michelle.

Nixon Newell was set for it before her injury. She would have been a huge plus in the MYC. I guess Marti and Renee were there for Corporate reasons. Which is a shame as there some really good wrestlers part of the alternates which WWE flew in:

Barbi Hayden, Deonna Purrazzo, Jessica James, Lei'D Tapa and Nicole Matthews.

I will say I've always liked Marti's schtick and she can be used productively when put on the right spot on the card. Renee Michelle's more recent matches that I've seen have been quite good at an indie level. Improved a lot after an extended tour of Japan.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Jazzy Gabert thing is interesting in so much as even up to the day of the taping they didn't really think much of her, but her performance and the way she connected with the crowd caught them off by surprise. She's a good worker and I'm kind of glad to see things working out for her purely because of how she got dicked over by TNA.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jazzy Gabert AKA Alpha Female really shined when she did her Stardom tour. I didn't think too much of her until I saw those matches. They're up on Stardom World now if you have access.

here she is against Nane Takahashi:
https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/login.aspx?clientid=1732&msid=1217&episodeid=2012_10_21_06

and against the even smaller Yuhi:
https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/login.aspx?clientid=1732&msid=1217&episodeid=2013_10_06_02

Alpha Female vs Yoshiko(yes that Yoshihiko) vs Act Yasukawa
https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/login.aspx?clientid=1732&msid=1217&episodeid=2013_10_14_01

vs Viper! Monster fight!
https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/login.aspx?clientid=1732&msid=1217&episodeid=2016_03_21_09

vs Io Shirai. For the Stardom Title.
https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/login.aspx?clientid=1732&msid=1217&episodeid=2016_03_26_07

and finally, a personal fave, vs Jungle Kyona!
https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/login.aspx?clientid=1732&msid=1217&episodeid=2016_04_02_04

BONUS CONTENT: Alpha Female wrecks Azumi, Hiromi Mimura & Starlight Kid

https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/login.aspx?clientid=1732&msid=1217&episodeid=2016_05_03_01

coconono fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 30, 2017

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
If they were only able to sign 4 people it should be Jazzy, Mia, Candice, and Shayna. Toni, Santana and Piper should get looked at because Toni is probably the 2nd best wrestler in the whole tournament and i thought Piper vs Santana was the best match of the first round.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just watched the first four episodes of the MYC. I'm glad they've started doing these kinds of specialty tournaments.

I'd never seen a full match from any of these women, so it was fun. Obviously I loved Kairi Sane, but I had a lot of other favorites: Abbey Laith, Toni Storm, Rhea Ripley, Princesa Sugehit, Candice LeRae, Santana Garrett, Lacey Evans, Tessa Blanchard, and New Zealand Bayley Dakota Kai were all great.

I was pretty disappointed by Piper Nevins, Shayna Bazzler, Mercedes Martinez, Bianca Belair, and Mia Yim. I was expecting to like them a lot, but meh.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
The first minute of Abbey vs Jazzy was so great. The fighting spirit of Abbey combined with the crowd going apeshit for her comebacks was so good.

All the green PC rookies kinda dragged the match quality down but at least they all had a cool entrance and/or look. Xia Li just looks really badass.

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice
I'm glad Sarah Logan is signed, because she's got a personality/gimmick (Country Girl) that could be interesting when tuned up to 11. I haven't really seen that kind of character before, so I'm curious how it would be received.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

jred250 posted:

I'm glad Sarah Logan is signed, because she's got a personality/gimmick (Country Girl) that could be interesting when tuned up to 11. I haven't really seen that kind of character before, so I'm curious how it would be received.

I've read from some reliable internet sources that she should slim it down, but I think she was pretty good.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I really like Sarah, but her country bumpkin gimmick doesn't really work IMO. It's very GLOW/Wrestlelicious. Plus, Sarah had some really nice gear she stopped using because she had to switch to the country look.

Crazy Mary was a cooler gimmick, but they basically gave it to Nikki Cross. I am hoping it morphs into something a bit more subtle like Hardcore Country Mickie James or whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trying to catch up on the first four episodes now that I finally have a spare minute to do so, random thoughts:

Episode 1
- Good choice for the first match, would have been happy with either Princess Sugehit or Kay Lee Ray going over and it sucks that one had to drop out. I have a feeling that'll be a recurring theme, would have been cool if this had been a round robin tournament but that probably would have been too much of a time/money investment for WWE.
- It's still weird to me seeing Serena Deeb with hair, even if she was bald for such a tiny proportion of her career. Vanessa Borne has cool entrance music and reminds me vaguely of Layla, but nothing else about her really stood out.
- Shayna Baszler vs Zeda was cool, partly because it was so short. The crowd seemed fully into everything both did and Shayna seems like a natural heel.
- I wish Jazzy Gabert came to the ring holding a giant energizer battery over her shoulders. Loved the crowd at the start but this match went too long, it should have been a squash. Surprised that Abbey Laith won, she mostly just got her rear end kicked and only seemed to have a couple of (neat) tricks in her repertoire, like the splits escape/dodge. Dug Jazzy raising her arm at the end though.

JR and Lita were fine if unremarkable on commentary, I think Shayna vs Zeda should have closed the show though.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 31, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I really don't understand why they got JR in to do commentary for this, unless its just a favour from WWE so he doesn't drink himself to death while sitting at home.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode 2
- Mercedes Martinez is a son of bitch, it owns. Xia Li isn't bad for this being her first wrestling match but I'm glad that Martinez almost completely dominated her. I really dig Martinez after this match but I also don't want Princess Sugehit to lose their next match.
- Marti Belle vs Rachel Evers sure was a professional wrestling match, eh? That's about the highest praise I could give it. Just dreadfully boring and unimpressive.
- Rhea Ripley vs Miranda Salinas wasn't great either but much better than the previous. Didn't really grasp the story of the match though, which seemed to be Salinas saying,"Don't discount me because I'm tiny!" and then getting the poo poo kicked out of her and losing.
- Oh my God this pre-match package for Yim, please tell me she is winning. On the other hand, Sarah Logan seems to have a ton of charisma, can they both win? Yay Mia won! But boo Sarah lost. This was the best match of the night and exactly the right one to close it, it saved an otherwise lackluster episode whose only saving grace up to this point was Mercedes Martinez.
- Fuccccck Mia Yim vs Shayna Baszler? I don't want either one to lose!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Dias posted:

I've read from some reliable internet sources that she should slim it down, but I think she was pretty good.

Why would she need to slim down? She's in great shape. Logan always has a great frame to be Pro Wrestler.

A 1 year ago or so after all the stuff about Sasha getting injured a lot or being perceived to be. They seemed to make a conscious choice to hire more robust looking wrestlers than the more diminutive ones they signed before.

rovert fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 31, 2017

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I'd heard of many but never actually seen any of the 32 actually wrestle before (other than Lacey and Tessa when they've jobbed in NXT) but after the first three episodes I'm definitely going to spend some time looking some of them up. The two Australians seem pretty great and both ready for weekly NXT at the very least. (Though Toni Storm's particular tiny hat and kooky gawping brand of 'rockstar' is a touch too close to Adam Rose/Russell Brand for my liking.)
Jazzy Gabert is my new favourite everything; why the hell is she in a Network-only Full Sail show while Tamina is on broadcast TV?

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

rovert posted:

Why would she need to slim down? She's in great shape. Logan always has a great frame to be Pro Wrestler.

A 1 year ago or so after all the stuff about Sasha getting injured a lot or being perceived to be. They seemed to make a conscious choice to hire more robust looking wrestlers than the more diminutive ones they signed before.

I think they meant to slim down the gimmick. like tone it down, not her weight

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Just read VOW's tweet. I see it now. If he said tone it down I would have got it.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
It's nice to see Piper Niven get to bust out some Rhonda Sing style moves, minus a depressing Bertha Faye facsimile gimmick.

Demi / Rhea has a bigger upside than Paige at the same age and ticks all of Vince and Bucky Beaver's tv prerequisites. Also nice to have a non east-coaster representing AU for a change.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
This tournament is hella fun, tournaments are fun. It's especially great that now in round 2, so many of the weaker elements have been weeded out. Adelaide scene seems to create some great wrestlers, and Rhea seems great. Plus she's 6 feet tall, so a giant in the world of women's wrestling.

Plus I have no idea how they're going to book it, so it's sometimes surprising who wins, and that's only going to increase as the tournament keeps going! I'm just sad they passed on Io :(

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 31, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They only passed on Io because she's hurt IIRC. When not if type situation.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
I really like the aesthetic of the MYC. The legit-sports like presentation and the pre-match promo vids to get invested in each competitor is really cool. I like that the whole thing is geared towards sportsmanship so heels don't have to do anything over the top to get over as heels.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Sarah Logan's accent, which is definitely played up, is pretty normal around here for the more country people(and children from all parts of the state).

Her look, aside from the gimmick animal furs and braids, is basically spot on. She literally looks like dozens of women I've met in my life.

I think she'll do pretty well in WWE.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's not really from Kentucky, but it looks like she's from literally across the river from Louisville.

I thought it was odd they just made her be a country girl from Kentucky but that makes more sense now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe she'll get thrown into the Wyatt family and continually lose pointless feuds.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Saint Freak posted:

Maybe she'll get thrown into the Wyatt family and continually lose pointless feuds.

she could bench press Bray while he shouts nonsense

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Giant Murderbaby posted:

I really like the aesthetic of the MYC. The legit-sports like presentation and the pre-match promo vids to get invested in each competitor is really cool. I like that the whole thing is geared towards sportsmanship so heels don't have to do anything over the top to get over as heels.

I loved this about the CWC as well. Relatively unknown wrestler refuses pre-match handshake, boom, he's over as a heel.

Main roster WWE could do to take a few lessons from Hunter's tournaments.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I haven't watched but Evie needs her gear and hair to not look like she's trying to come off 10 years younger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/tim00/status/903262677228761088

So you should be.