Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Syd Midnight posted:

I read Excuse Me a few months ago and was tempted to paste some paragraphs here, but there are so many good ones I lost count.

It is a good read but the author grew more contemptible over time for some reason. Sort of a less charismatic Feynman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Adenoid Dan posted:

"Sense of impending doom" occurs with a number of poisonings. It's an interesting effect.

How you distinguish that from the quite rational sense of impending doom you get from being stung by a deadly jellyfish?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How you distinguish that from the quite rational sense of impending doom you get from being stung by a deadly jellyfish?

I've never experienced it personally, but everything I've read regarding "Sense of Impending Doom" as symptom states you'll know without a doubt when it happens (but not realize until after the fact). People who have experienced it say that in that moment they are absolutely convinced that there is no hope for their condition and they absolutely "know" they are going to die shortly. There's a resignation and acceptance and no amount of convincing will reduce that.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

IIRC isn't "sense of impending doom" also a side effect of the medication adenosine, because it stops the heart for a few seconds?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Yup, it's pretty nuts to see irl. Asthmatics can get it too occasionally if they have a bad crisis.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

I've never experienced it personally, but everything I've read regarding "Sense of Impending Doom" as symptom states you'll know without a doubt when it happens (but not realize until after the fact). People who have experienced it say that in that moment they are absolutely convinced that there is no hope for their condition and they absolutely "know" they are going to die shortly. There's a resignation and acceptance and no amount of convincing will reduce that.

It absolutely blows my mind how a substance can have such a significant yet well defined effect like that. Like, heroin stimulating pleasure receptors to bliss you out, that I can follow. But obviously we don't have doom receptors, so a venom that stimulates a cross section of the brain in just that right way feels so bizarre.

Imagine there was an opposite of that, that directly inhibits doom and apprehension (like a mega toxoplasmosis). It'd sound like a super soldier gimmick from bad scifi.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

But obviously we don't have doom receptors,
Isn’t there that one condition where the sufferer’s convinced they’re dead? Doom receptors sound reasonable compared to “I’m actually alive” receptors.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Isn’t there that one condition where the sufferer’s convinced they’re dead? Doom receptors sound reasonable compared to “I’m actually alive” receptors.

Cotard delusion

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It absolutely blows my mind how a substance can have such a significant yet well defined effect like that. Like, heroin stimulating pleasure receptors to bliss you out, that I can follow. But obviously we don't have doom receptors, so a venom that stimulates a cross section of the brain in just that right way feels so bizarre.

Imagine there was an opposite of that, that directly inhibits doom and apprehension (like a mega toxoplasmosis). It'd sound like a super soldier gimmick from bad scifi.

From my understanding benzodiazepines kind of do this. They are used to treat anxiety, they can have weird behavioral side effects (inhibition loss), especially if someone abuses this type of drug.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Un chien andalou posted:

From my understanding benzodiazepines kind of do this. They are used to treat anxiety, they can have weird behavioral side effects (inhibition loss), especially if someone abuses this type of drug.

Which gets fun when the benzos kick in and you get uninhibited and stupid. Then it's like, "Wait, did I take my *pam? I can't remember. Maybe I should take another one." Repeat until you wake up two days later to your co-worker banging on your door to see if you're dead, and apparently you not only played 5 hours into Borderlands while you were blacked out, but you sold all your good gear.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It absolutely blows my mind how a substance can have such a significant yet well defined effect like that. Like, heroin stimulating pleasure receptors to bliss you out, that I can follow. But obviously we don't have doom receptors,

You do, though. If you're feeling something, it's because there're neurotransmitters doing their thing, which means there are receptors for them. If you can feel a sense of doom, yeah, there are doom receptors. Obviously not a single receptor, but there's something there which adds up to doom receptor.

That's not really any different from heroin, which stimulates a number of different receptors; there's not just a single opioid receptor.

quote:

Sounds like MDMA.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Which gets fun when the benzos kick in and you get uninhibited and stupid. Then it's like, "Wait, did I take my *pam? I can't remember. Maybe I should take another one." Repeat until you wake up two days later to your co-worker banging on your door to see if you're dead, and apparently you not only played 5 hours into Borderlands while you were blacked out, but you sold all your good gear.

You and I have different qualities for fun.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Well, I'd think that stuff which fucks with the brain's monitoring of what is keeping you alive could produce a sense of doom. Something like "holy gently caress no response I'm dead in the next two minutes".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phanatic posted:

You do, though. If you're feeling something, it's because there're neurotransmitters doing their thing, which means there are receptors for them. If you can feel a sense of doom, yeah, there are doom receptors. Obviously not a single receptor, but there's something there which adds up to doom receptor.

That's not really any different from heroin, which stimulates a number of different receptors; there's not just a single opioid receptor.

Sounds like MDMA.
"But the brains just like all a bunch of chemical receptors man" seems common among chemists but it conveniently ignores the brain is an electrochemical state machine with a spectrum of inputs, outputs and internal processes. Which given the topic helps make it apparent: the brain state for on opiods is pretty well traceable to interaction with opioid receptors, even if we can't measure every chemical equilibria and electric potential across the CNS that describes getting high. The brain state for I'm poisondooomed seems more to do with a wider spectrum of the possible inputs like biofeedback from body processes directly affected by the toxin in addition to any chemical CNS effects.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a distinct fear sensation for drowning linked to CO2 receptors - distinct enough that people with brain damage that cancels all other forms of fear can still feel it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tunicate posted:

There's a distinct fear sensation for drowning linked to CO2 receptors - distinct enough that people with brain damage that cancels all other forms of fear can still feel it.

Oddly enough nitrogen does not do that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Oddly enough nitrogen does not do that.

If we had nitrogen sensitivity we'd never be able to breathe, or at the very least always feel like we were suffocating.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I wonder what other gases do not trigger the suffocation response.. noble gasses?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I think the only gas with a specific response is CO2. There is no low oxygen alarm, just a high CO2 alarm. What a great failure mode.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

I wonder what other gases do not trigger the suffocation response.. noble gasses?

I think that list is "everything but CO2".

efb.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's two types of suffocation - inability to get rid of CO2 and inability to get fresh O2. If you for example hold your breath both happen at once. If you breathe air with a high CO2 content the first happens but not the second. If you breathe gas with no CO2 but also no oxygen the second happens but not the first.

Only the first actually causes distress. The second will make you black out without ever knowing why.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

To be fair, there's other mechanisms to detect the murder gases we'd encounter naturally.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

The Arkema chemical plant in Texas lost its refrigerators, leading to an evacuation notice in case it explodes.

When grid electricity went down the backup generators came on, but those generators got flooded as well. Workers then moved the chilled chems into powered refrigerated containers, but those also got flooded.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
And here I was thinking New Jersey was the Exploding Chemical Plant State.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

C'mon, dude. everything is bigger in Texas.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Lone Badger posted:

There's two types of suffocation - inability to get rid of CO2 and inability to get fresh O2. If you for example hold your breath both happen at once. If you breathe air with a high CO2 content the first happens but not the second. If you breathe gas with no CO2 but also no oxygen the second happens but not the first.

Only the first actually causes distress. The second will make you black out without ever knowing why.

I stuck my head in my kegerator (modified chest freezer) to clean up some drips without thinking about how I had just dropped the kegs from carbonation pressure to serving pressure and it was basically a box full of CO2 at that point. Took a fraction of a breath and my GTFO sense was immediately at 11.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Isn't there a torture gas called carboxide or something, that has enough CO2 in it to trigger the suffocation panic response, but enough O2 in it to keep you alive indefinitely? Or did I just imagine that?

I've always thought that I would be able to deal with waterboarding, but that gas sounds like a bad time.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Luneshot posted:

IIRC isn't "sense of impending doom" also a side effect of the medication adenosine, because it stops the heart for a few seconds?

I was given adenosine 3 or 4 times as a teenager bc I had SVT that didn't respond to anything else, and knowing what that 'impending doom' feeling is like kinda fucks with me whenever I feel something similar, but not quite, like a weird hot flash or when the lights dim and I think it's my vision. :(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Automatic Retard posted:

I've always thought that I would be able to deal with waterboarding

Once water starts entering your lungs your body locks into MAXIMUM PANIC mode. About as unpleasant as it's possible to get.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

StandardVC10 posted:

Are you kidding? Business is booming in Texas!

(Drawn shortly after the West, Texas fertilizer plant explosion)

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

The Lone Badger posted:

Once water starts entering your lungs your body locks into MAXIMUM PANIC mode. About as unpleasant as it's possible to get.

I thought it was more like trying to breathe through a wet rag. Although I've found that it's pretty difficult to turn your face up and breathe while standing in the shower, but it can be done.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TTerrible posted:

I think the only gas with a specific response is CO2. There is no low oxygen alarm, just a high CO2 alarm. What a great failure mode.

IIRC this is how hyperventilating kills swimmers: it doesn't increase the O2 levels, just decrease the CO2 levels. So by the time the CO2 levels would trigger the body's alarms, whoops, you're already out of O2 and you're unconscious at the bottom of the pool.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Automatic Retard posted:

I thought it was more like trying to breathe through a wet rag. Although I've found that it's pretty difficult to turn your face up and breathe while standing in the shower, but it can be done.

Waterboarding involves stuffing your mouth with a wet rag while you lie on your back, then slowly pouring more water on it. Water slowly and continuously trickles down your throat, making it impossible to inhale without bringing some of that water into your lungs. Doing that makes your brain decide you are drowning and freak the gently caress out.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Aug 30, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's pretty much impossible to train your way around the drowning response of waterboarding. It's apparently just as awful every time if done correctly. Hell, if waterboarding is done long enough that the subject loses consciousness, you will kill them if you try to continue. It's not exactly so much a torture technique as a very slow way of killing someone that you can stop partway (which qualifies as a 'mock execution' and is also illegal).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kwyndig posted:

It's pretty much impossible to train your way around the drowning response of waterboarding. It's apparently just as awful every time if done correctly. Hell, if waterboarding is done long enough that the subject loses consciousness, you will kill them if you try to continue. It's not exactly so much a torture technique as a very slow way of killing someone that you can stop partway (which qualifies as a 'mock execution' and is also illegal).

Sean Hannity, real American hero, disagrees you commie.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's been over eight years and he still hasn't done it.

3,052 days specifically.

Keiya has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Aug 30, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is a right-wing hack that manned up and got water boarded. Not sure if he changed his tune permanently but he was pretty freaked out. The response kicks in within seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkj9pjx3H0

Here is another guy who used to support torture "For the right reasons" and he didn't do any better. He has what looks like pros doing it where they used very little water compared to the radio host. It pretty much broke him as he was still shaken in the interview after and he finally understood why you don't do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LPubUCJv58

The survival instinct is uncontrollable.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The Lone Badger posted:

wolrah posted:

I stuck my head in my kegerator (modified chest freezer) to clean up some drips without thinking about how I had just dropped the kegs from carbonation pressure to serving pressure and it was basically a box full of CO2 at that point. Took a fraction of a breath and my GTFO sense was immediately at 11.

I had something similar happen. At work we have soda fountains in our kitchen, with the syrup hookups and CO2 cylinder in a storage closet nearby. Sometimes if a box of syrup runs out, the CO2 canister basically vents itself trying to pressurize the line. I walked into the closet one morning after that happened and stepping into the enclosed space full of CO2 was like hitting a brick wall.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wasabi the J posted:

You and I have different qualities for fun.

Yeah, it wasn't actually fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

I had something similar happen. At work we have soda fountains in our kitchen, with the syrup hookups and CO2 cylinder in a storage closet nearby. Sometimes if a box of syrup runs out, the CO2 canister basically vents itself trying to pressurize the line. I walked into the closet one morning after that happened and stepping into the enclosed space full of CO2 was like hitting a brick wall.

Someone I think in this thread posted a harrowing example of the reverse - rusty chains in an enclosed space that suck all the oxygen out, but obviously don't touch the CO2 levels: http://maritimeaccident.org/library2/the-case-of-the-rusty-assassin/