Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SMP posted:

What should I read to help understand the whole new gods / apokalips mythos? I don't really know much about DC's cosmos. Ideally not Kirby's like, 50 issue run across 5 titles. I don't have the best patience with old comics' purple prose.

There's just one thing you need to know....

DARKSEID IS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Darkseid is.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

A really cool guy posted:

I. Am. The. New. God. All is one in Darkseid. This mighty body is my church. When I command your surrender, I speak with three billion voices. When I make a fist to crush your resistance. It is with three billion hands. When I stare into your eyes and shatter your dreams. And break your heart. It is with six billion eyes! Nothing like Darkseid has ever come among you: Nothing will again. I will take you to a hell without exit or end. And there I will murder your souls! And make you crawl and beg! And die! Die! Die for Darkseid!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
New Genesis/Apokolips is pretty much analogue to Space Heaven and Space Hell, with the leaders representing the prophet Isaiah (High Father's real name is Izaya) and Darkseid being analogous to Satan/Evil incarnate in general.

If you're into cosmic weirdness then New Gods is there for you. If you don't care about that though, it may not have much for you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are also three New Gods special Kirby anniversary one-shots out this month (New Gods out now and Black Racer and Darkseid this coming week.)
They come with Kirby story backups and they've been pretty good so far, but it's no substitute.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Are there any collected editions of the New Gods stuff so I can read it in order?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can try and find all four out of print omnibuses https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-Fourth-World-Omnibus/dp/1401232418

Or wait for the complete 1500+ page monster in december.
https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-World-Jack-Kirby-Omnibus/dp/1401274757

SMP
May 5, 2009

I guess I'll take a stab at reading the old Kirby stuff, reading wikis just ain't the same. I'm a huge fan of Marvel's Cosmic stuff so...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SMP posted:

I guess I'll take a stab at reading the old Kirby stuff, reading wikis just ain't the same. I'm a huge fan of Marvel's Cosmic stuff so...

It's worth it. I know you said you have an issue with older comics' prose stylings, but it's Kirby; his art has an energy to it that can carry the weight of the purplest of prose.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can try and find all four out of print omnibuses https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Kirbys-Fourth-World-Omnibus/dp/1401232418

Or wait for the complete 1500+ page monster in december.
https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-World-Jack-Kirby-Omnibus/dp/1401274757

Snap! I did not know that Omnibus was coming. That will indeed be my jam. Thanks for the link!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Superman: The Animated Series, where Darkseid is set up as Superman's greatest nemesis in the DCAU, only rivaled by maybe Brainiac or Luthor. The Fourth World is briefly introduced in S1E12, though you don't really hear about it again until S2E25-26 "Apokolips... Now", which ends on a touching eulogy to Jack Kirby, and then the next two episodes are another Apokolips two-parter. The last two episodes of the series are also Fourth World-related, but it's okay, they come back in the first episode of season 2 of Justice League, and you finally get to see Supertown! Then for JLU, S2E02 is centered around Mister Miracle and Big Barda, S3E03 has Orion (and Batman) tagging along with Flash, and then the last two episodes of the series are, once again, an Apokoliptic two-parter.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Superman: The Animated Series, where Darkseid is set up as Superman's greatest nemesis in the DCAU, only rivaled by maybe Brainiac or Luthor. The Fourth World is briefly introduced in S1E12, though you don't really hear about it again until S2E25-26 "Apokolips... Now", which ends on a touching eulogy to Jack Kirby, and then the next two episodes are another Apokolips two-parter. The last two episodes of the series are also Fourth World-related, but it's okay, they come back in the first episode of season 2 of Justice League, and you finally get to see Supertown! Then for JLU, S2E02 is centered around Mister Miracle and Big Barda, S3E03 has Orion (and Batman) tagging along with Flash, and then the last two episodes of the series are, once again, an Apokoliptic two-parter.

One thing the Timverse did well was to show the complete hatred and contempt Superman has for Darkseid. I always got the impression that Supes doesn't hate Luthor or Braniac or any of his villains, but with Darkseid there is pure contempt.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Speaking of DC animated, is the correct pronunciation of Lex’s last name Loo-thor? I have always pronounced it Loo-thurr and seems like that is how the live action movies have pronounced it as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Speaking of DC animated, is the correct pronunciation of Lex’s last name Loo-thor? I have always pronounced it Loo-thurr and seems like that is how the live action movies have pronounced it as well.

It's pronounced the same as the L in MLK.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Skwirl posted:

That's what I thought but the cartoons throw me off pronouncing it the other way.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Skwirl posted:

It's been pronounced both ways in TV and movies, though actual comic book people like Busiek insist it's Loo-thor, like how it's y'know, spelt. As someone with two eyes and not possessed of one of the US's degenerate regional dialects I'm inclined to agree with the latter

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Timm cartoons pronounced both Luthor and Ra's Al Ghul wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

The Timm cartoons pronounced both Luthor and Ra's Al Ghul wrong.

My favorite thing about Arrow is how different characters just randomly pronounced Ra's Al Ghul, I'd have to rewatch those two seasons to figure out if there was even consistency among the characters, but I'm pretty sure Stephen Amel said both "Roz" and "Raish" at different points.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

My favorite thing about Arrow is how different characters just randomly pronounced Ra's Al Ghul, I'd have to rewatch those two seasons to figure out if there was even consistency among the characters, but I'm pretty sure Stephen Amel said both "Roz" and "Raish" at different points.

I thought the intent was that League people would say Raysh and other people would say Raaz, but I'm not sure if they were consistent about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the intent was that League people would say Raysh and other people would say Raaz, but I'm not sure if they were consistent about it.

If I ever rewatch that season I'm watching it with pen and paper in hand and I'll make loving charts about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Young comics sale, including Gotham Academy trades.
https://www.comixology.com/DCs-Back-to-School-Sale/page/16075

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Really weird to see New 52 Superboy getting grouped in with all those regular All-Ages books, but I've been wanting to read Second-Semester for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey remember how Geoff Johns hates J'onn J'onzz? And how Mr Oz suddenly has an eye blast that could be heat vision or a similar power?

What if Mr Oz is J'onn?????

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Hey remember how Geoff Johns hates J'onn J'onzz? And how Mr Oz suddenly has an eye blast that could be heat vision or a similar power?

Noooooooooooooo

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

(User was banned for this post)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna hate myself if I'm right.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna hate myself if I'm right.

I'm coming for you if you are.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Wait why does he hate j'onn

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hup posted:

Wait why does he hate j'onn

Who knows. He has said in a few interviews that he doesn't "get" the character. And a big part of his JL run was erasing J'onn from the team.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if I buy that. He brought him back from space for the first N52 JLA.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
They made him leader of the Canadian Justice League. What worse fate is there?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
You know, it occurs to me, reading this week's Red Hood and the Outlaws annual: Jason is probably the character best served by the New 52, because it means you can easily say "Oh, yeah, his more 'psychotic villain' phase never happened, like him ruining Dick's reputation and going around as murder-Nightwing."

Now he's just that annoying little brother who sometimes goes too far, but has sort of come around.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KaosMachina posted:

You know, it occurs to me, reading this week's Red Hood and the Outlaws annual: Jason is probably the character best served by the New 52, because it means you can easily say "Oh, yeah, his more 'psychotic villain' phase never happened, like him ruining Dick's reputation and going around as murder-Nightwing."

Now he's just that annoying little brother who sometimes goes too far, but has sort of come around.

The relationship with Dick was pretty heavy handed and come off like showing once again how loving amazing Dick is. Completely unnecessary and a disservice to Jason's character.

Anyways

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/902942595478732800

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The relationship with Dick was pretty heavy handed and come off like showing once again how loving amazing Dick is. Completely unnecessary and a disservice to Jason's character.

Anyways

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/902942595478732800

Am I interpreting this right? Their bringing Watchmen into the main DC universe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Am I interpreting this right? Their bringing Watchmen into the main DC universe?

Yes?

I mean the plot is literally "Dr. Manhattan stole 10 years from the DC universe."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think technically they're bringing the main DC universe into Watchmen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes?

I mean the plot is literally "Dr. Manhattan stole 10 years from the DC universe."

I wasn't keeping up with things so I didn't even know they were still making Watchman comics. I thought they did one miniseries and then never touched it again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

I wasn't keeping up with things so I didn't even know they were still making Watchman comics. I thought they did one miniseries and then never touched it again.

They aren't really. It was a one and done for 20 years until DC did their Before Watchmen event that was almost entirely terrible. Alan Moore called out Geoff Johns for basing his entire career on scraps Moore left behind so this is Johns getting even. Look for V for Vendetta to be folded into the DCU by 2020.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean I like the dynamic of "Dick Grayson basically has his life together and he's cool and Jason looks up to him, because Jason knows he's been kind of a gently caress-up through his life" better than "Actually Jason is amazing and awesome and the best and totally should be the head of the league of assassins, and now they're super-wizards and he is the best because he has the magic power of swords and"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KaosMachina posted:

I mean I like the dynamic of "Dick Grayson basically has his life together and he's cool and Jason looks up to him, because Jason knows he's been kind of a gently caress-up through his life" better than "Actually Jason is amazing and awesome and the best and totally should be the head of the league of assassins, and now they're super-wizards and he is the best because he has the magic power of swords and"

That bit in particular is Tynion's fault.

Rhyno posted:

They aren't really. It was a one and done for 20 years until DC did their Before Watchmen event that was almost entirely terrible. Alan Moore called out Geoff Johns for basing his entire career on scraps Moore left behind so this is Johns getting even. Look for V for Vendetta to be folded into the DCU by 2020.

Well, Anarky is explicitly based on V so they're halfway there.