Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
young whippersnappers with their githubs and good reliable libraries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
woah

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
im doing a lot of Java now. is intellij worth trying out? ive been using Eclipse just cuz that's what I always used in school but if another ide has better tools (e.g. better maven or git support, better refactoring etc) that'd be sweet.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
most everything I've heard about IntelliJ IDEA is that if you do Java at all, you want it

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

if I remember I'll do some request sniffing and post the full horror but I am not making any of that up

edit: idk if this is better or worse than the "workflow platform" that stored javascript in the db and would just append it to the page and run it to provide the actual "flow"

when backend developers try to build UIs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cis autodrag posted:

im doing a lot of Java now. is intellij worth trying out? ive been using Eclipse just cuz that's what I always used in school but if another ide has better tools (e.g. better maven or git support, better refactoring etc) that'd be sweet.

shaggar will be here shortly to tell you to stick with eclipse

I kind of do like intellij. it has good maven and git integration, although I think eclipse does maven better. I prefer intellij's refactoring, and its support for nullability management is great whereas last time I used eclipse it had no clue what was nullable in the standard library (maybe they finally fixed that?)

it also has some other neat things like name hints for positional parameters that are good if you're using bad libraries

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

I really really like IntelliJ and highly recommend it. I use it for Java, Rust, Python, and JavaScript.

it's easily the most useful software that I've ever paid for.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
does their multi-project support suck less now?

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

was it ever bad? I've been using it since 2012. it might be confusing to eclipse users, since an eclipse "project" is called a "module" in IntelliJ, and an eclipse "workspace" is called a "project"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

intellij is a lot better than eclipse

unfortunately all java is horrific though, rip u

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

cis autodrag posted:

IntelliJ is what I prefer using for Java and I'm sure the Git integration works great but I don't use it as I'm a heathen that always does everything with Git on the command line in MINGW64.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

you can use the git cli from intellijs built in terminal emulator :getin:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I keep thinking about checking out IntelliJ b/c a couple people in my group use it, but earlier this year, when trying to configure someone's IntelliJ environment for working on a project of mine, I found it a bit lacking in certain flexibility for some advanced corner cases:

• Its Maven integration isn't quite as smart as m2e. Yes, it'll auto-run some unit tests for you, but it ignores test exclusions specified in the POM and runs all tests anyway, so you have to manually add exclusions not only to your POM but also your IntelliJ project.
  • Unlike Eclipse, it didn't seem like you could commit a partially configured project in a way where you won't just clobber other people's classpath and other local settings (e.g. how you can commit a .project file and .externalToolBuilders directory without also committing .classpath and .settings). The .idea directory is all or nothing, which makes distributing custom IDE builder scripts/rules a pain.
  • A nitpick, but it was relevant for my use case: There's no way to pass the classpath as determined by the IDE to a custom build target (like how ${project_classpath} can be used as a variable in certain builder parameters), so I had to build a kludgey Python script to do the same.

So all in all it's probably better for the average user, but might be a pain for certain advanced flexibility when you start doing some fancy stuff with Maven plugins/runners.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ThePeavstenator posted:

IntelliJ is what I prefer using for Java and I'm sure the Git integration works great but I don't use it as I'm a heathen that always does everything with Git on the command line in MINGW64.
the only git stuff I do in my IDE is popping open the blame to see who did a thing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah intellij's maven integration is kind of poo poo because they seem to think gradle is something other than total garbage

and also the concept of adding an extra indentation level on continued lines is just completely alien to intellij which is absolutely infuriating

Java code:
public void goToTheCircus(
    Clown clown,
    Unicycle unicycle) throws CustardPie {
    clown.rideAroundOn(unicycle);
    throw new CustardPie();
}
mm yep that's totally readable

love the way the argument list seamlessly merges up visually with the statements

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sapozhnik posted:

and also the concept of adding an extra indentation level on continued lines is just completely alien to intellij which is absolutely infuriating

Java code:
public void goToTheCircus(
    Clown clown,
    Unicycle unicycle) throws CustardPie {
    clown.rideAroundOn(unicycle);
    throw new CustardPie();
}

im a total ide idiot and i figured out how to configure this within the first couple days of using intellij. the only gripe i have with the java formatting is that they treat all non-Javadoc comments as second-class. javadoc comments can be auto-formatted after editing (like so a paragraph uses the smallest number of lines possible). but i can't figure out any way to do this wirh regular old block comments, so you end up having to hand-janitor them or leave raggedy edges

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

intellij tooling is p much universally best in class

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Clion is also fantastic and keeps bugging me to do things the C++ way instead of the C way which make me happy.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

• Unlike Eclipse, it didn't seem like you could commit a partially configured project in a way where you won't just clobber other people's classpath and other local settings (e.g. how you can commit a .project file and .externalToolBuilders directory without also committing .classpath and .settings). The .idea directory is all or nothing, which makes distributing custom IDE builder scripts/rules a pain.

why tho

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Clion is also fantastic and keeps bugging me to do things the C++ way instead of the C way which make me happy.

is their home-rolled parser any better now? i liked the general feel of clion the last time i tried it but it flagged way too much valid code as wrong

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

InfrastructureWeek posted:

unfortunately all java is horrific though, rip u

nope it's really good, assuming your goal is to write solid maintainable code that does something useful

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
does intellij do something sensible wrt java compiler plugins these days because those are kind of important

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

i have a couple custom ant scripts to compile some files using a custom dsl and validate some xml resources above and beyond what xml schema can do. i wanted to rig them up in eclipse to automatically run when certain files are saved since i like to catch and test stuff up front without leaving the ide when i can, and sharing the .externalToolBuilders directory and .project file lets me set those up more quickly than building a fresh one on the fly every time the project is cloned

i mean i could have made separate maven, eclipse and intellij plugins to do the same but it's a lot of effort to do that for one specific project when triggering ant targets can pretty much do the same with less effort

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

:rip:

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
IdeaVim bugs the poo poo out of me. I would pay my own money to have Ctrl-o and Ctrl-I work properly between files.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The_Franz posted:

is their home-rolled parser any better now? i liked the general feel of clion the last time i tried it but it flagged way too much valid code as wrong

They use clang-tidy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ive tried to use a couple IDE's and i just can't get away from cli everything :/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’ve been defeated

https://twitter.com/bigendiansmalls/status/902700895745466368

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
this is bringing back memories of DB2 and IMS instances

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

JawnV6 posted:

ive tried to use a couple IDE's and i just can't get away from cli everything :/

try programming in java, especially with a framework like spring, and you'll get over that reaaaaaal quick

i use command line as often as possible, i find it very productive for manipulating files, but i don't care how heavily customized your vim/emacs is, you're insane if you write java in it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

intellij is not as good as eclipse, but i haven't used it in like 2 years so maybe its better now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

try programming in java, especially with a framework like spring, and you'll get over that reaaaaaal quick

i use command line as often as possible, i find it very productive for manipulating files, but i don't care how heavily customized your vim/emacs is, you're insane if you write java in it

if you find that you use the command line a lot it means your tools are bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

i have a couple custom ant scripts
:barf:

quote:

to compile some files using a custom dsl
:barf::barf:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

a conversative shaggar post

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

this is why I'd be interested in IntelliJ were I ever to touch Java again (been 14 years and counting) but won't touch it for anything else

I don't understand why they don't use libclang for C/C++/ObjC/ObjC++ and instead insist on using their own engine for everything, for those languages you absolutely must use the compiler to be able to safely refactor, anything else is too risky because of C's archaic compilation model

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

talk to your gp

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

we had a guy who refused to use eclipse or any ide for java dev and instead used vim while loudly complaining that ides "got in his way"

He got fired though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol anyone using cli to edit java is lost so deep in framework hell he's gone blind from the intensity of the flames and can't see where he is.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

The_Franz posted:

It is a lot better, but it still can get lost quite easily... At least it no longer goes completely off its rocker for C++14 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i had to write a couple of CROSS JOINs the other day. felt wrong

• Locked thread