Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
So while this door situation is certainly better from a plot and a sadism standpoint, i can't help but note that from a pure protect-your-gold standpoint, a door that DOESN'T have a way to open it before you're killed by the murderpriests would kinda be a better defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

RolandTower posted:

So while this door situation is certainly better from a plot and a sadism standpoint, i can't help but note that from a pure protect-your-gold standpoint, a door that DOESN'T have a way to open it before you're killed by the murderpriests would kinda be a better defense.

It's a long way from priest village

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean the best way would be that after you feed someone to the door it chews that person out and spits out a message that goes 'did you seriously think that would work?' and then it screams even louder.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

RolandTower posted:

I doubt the Grand Dragon worries too much about being killed by the murder priests. I assume if he ever actually needed to get through the door that he'd have his pick of sacrifices.

But correct me if I'm wrong, but Mammon is at the heart of this treasure vault, and he never leaves it?

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 29, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This is something of a wild guess, but I don't think the vault is as lethal as it is because it's hard to break in.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

RolandTower posted:

This isn't actually an anti-theft door, it's just a pest control system. See, inevitably you get mimics in a form that lets them get up the ledge - or there are just so many of them they pile up - and they start filling in the hall. As soon as they get in here, the alarm sounds and it lets the priests know that they need to send someone out to cull the numbers, or at least to shove them all back down into the mimicpits. Sure, occasionally you find that it was actually a lost accountant or maybe a wayward thief, in which case you can just shove them into the mimicpit as well. But the thing is, the mimics might turn into giant heads, but they're not going to stuff each other into the mouth, that isn't how they work.

So when someone opens the door and triggers the alarm on the other side, now you know you have an intruder. Because it might be possible that someone stumbled into the fractal fortress; maybe they were cleaning the sewers and came up in the wrong place, but no one shoves their compatriots into a giant screaming mouth by accident.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

RolandTower posted:

Any security system can be defeated, eliminating all the weak points you know about just means someone'll eventually figure out how to exploit one you don't. Give 'em a big obvious easy out that totally fucks them up later but solves all their problems right now, and you're designing for the kind of psychology that leads to burglarizing mafia gods.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 29, 2017

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Any security system can be defeated, eliminating all the weak points you know about just means someone'll eventually figure out how to exploit one you don't. Give 'em a big obvious easy out that totally fucks them up later but solves all their problems right now, and you're designing for the kind of psychology that leads to burglarizing mafia gods.

God, do I love the Demiurges.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I bring good news:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/902674649506471936

Also, double updates this week.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i hope after the door gets fed it starts to sing a happy tune

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

the old ceremony posted:

i hope after the door gets fed it starts to sing a happy tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SkrYF8lCU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I hope it's a rickroll

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RolandTower posted:

I wonder if the idea is that even regular entries require a sacrifice. The priests kill everyone who doesn't feed it a murder. Valid entries bring a sacrifice, feed it, and get to unlocking. Invalid ones don't know, and it shatters their group.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 30, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if the idea is that even regular entries require a sacrifice. The priests kill everyone who doesn't feed it a murder. Valid entries bring a sacrifice, feed it, and get to unlocking. Invalid ones don't know, and it shatters their group.

No need to complicate things beyond what Cio described. Idiots try to unlock it the regular way and get butchered by the priests. Proper thieves unlock it by feeding the door, and then the psychological damage of sacrificing one of their own to get chewed up by a not-entirely-decorative screaming head rattles them enough so that the labyrinth makes quick work of them afterward.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
what i want to know is who did cc sacrifice the first time around

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the old ceremony posted:

what i want to know is who did cc sacrifice the first time around

the first time she went alone, but had brought a pack of oreos for snacks

this time, she came prepared. never again will she share her oreos.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/902737274965655552

so is allison going with it because she knows it's necessary while hating it or is incubus overruling her

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Pink eyes tell me it's not a metaphor.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah he took her over. But i'm not sure if he's ready for some fuckin Royalty.

:f5: Good poo poo!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Although if Incubus gets back in the driver's seat, I can see the potential for all sorts of hilarious shenanigans.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm really curious to find out why he took control. He might have reasons to stop them feeding the door a stray cat even if they're going to be very different from Allison's.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The art on this one is seriously good...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

a kitten posted:

I'm really curious to find out why he took control. He might have reasons to stop them feeding the door a stray cat even if they're going to be very different from Allison's.

Or he is stopping Alison from loving up the feeding. At least that's my read of it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
so that's what happens when you shoot a devil

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The Left Eye

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like it's probably not devil-standard to take getting a couple holes punched through you and no-selling it

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
panel 7 has to be pretty close to the most complete crown allison has ever displayed right

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Here's my thought.

Allison specifically bought into this thing so she could get over herself to be stronger, more capable. Reliably present immediately in crisis. She's not there yet.

Incubus is interpreting that wording of the contract so he can take over here, jump in, and be that capable presence here and now. Moving her straight past the thinking stage, where her brain is all hung up, into doing.

In effect, streamlining the previously successful strategy of furious dumbassery.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

The art on this one is seriously good...
yeah i can't even draw a normal human face foreshortened without disaster, let alone a tengu

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yes

I like the lady earring Oscar has

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tollymain posted:

i feel like it's probably not devil-standard to take getting a couple holes punched through you and no-selling it

Actually I think that's one of the out of the box features of a Crimson devil.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It looks like Ally's manifesting the same facial scars Incubus has in his physical form in that last panel.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Or he is stopping Alison from loving up the feeding. At least that's my read of it.

Sure looks like

My guess is he really took control back when Allison made that bargain with him and this is the first time he's done something she couldn't rationalize as her decision

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I must say that from a narrative standpoint it seems to be very very quick for the Incubus deal to have gone south.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

He just wants to take a test drive

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Pureauthor posted:

I must say that from a narrative standpoint it seems to be very very quick for the Incubus deal to have gone south.

This story is actually rapidly paced rapid as gently caress, it just takes a long time to make comic pages. It's good that it moves along, cause we have an immense amount of ground to cover in 5 books. :D

This door is clearly designed to just hurt, not to keep people out. The fortress murders those on the way in. Those who make it through will run into Mammon and get murdered. The one person who got out (Yabalchoath) had her dick lopped off by a gang of pissed angels after Mammon bought off her servants and "friends." Stealing from Yre isn't impossible, but you cannot win.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just checked, and that's not the eye that's missing in the future that she's trapped in. So I don't think she's going to force an escape from this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

IUG posted:

I just checked, and that's not the eye that's missing in the future that she's trapped in. So I don't think she's going to force an escape from this.

Operant: "uhhhhhh" :f5::siren:<SPRITE FLIP>:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
the eyes are the mirror to the soul so she's seeing things backwards