Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

anilEhilated posted:

Everything with a sense of humor isn't necessarily parody. These stories are still fantastic, though, and unlike Conan they aged extremely well.
Some of them have aged extremely well. Some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I'm locked out of Baru 2 til my editor finishes his pass so I started Baru 3 :toot:

Anybody here read The Orphan Master's Son? North Korea is so weird that it's practically science fictional.

I'm taking a blind guess at where you're taking this series and predicting you're calling it The Hero Baru Cormorant.

Or you'll go the opposite direction, The Total Shithead Baru Cormorant.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Perhaps the third book will focus on propaganda and information warfare specifically...

The Poster Baru Cormorant.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm taking a blind guess at where you're taking this series and predicting you're calling it The Hero Baru Cormorant.

Or you'll go the opposite direction, The Total Shithead Baru Cormorant.

The Abominable Baru Cormorant

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Or she becomes a shapeshifter, The Cormorant Baru Cormorant.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IMO read Pratchett books in publication order, once you've made the decision that you're going to read all of them ever.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I am assuming that the world goes off the rails in book 2 and she becomes a magic wizard.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Cromulent Baru Cormorant, in which she embiggens the Empire of Masks

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Person Who Actually Goes To Space Because It Really Is A Space Empire Baru Cormorant.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
The Aunt Beru Coruscant, wheren Beru messes up a totally different Empire.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Actual Cannibal Baru Cormorant

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
The Shag Beru a slash fanfic (cw: age-play, colonialism, food) by papa horny michael

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You're planning a rebellion. There's no one you trust and your money is gone. Out of the corner of your mask you spot her.

MockingQuantum posted:

See it's charts like this that make people like myself and my friends not want to read Discworld at all, as someone who hasn't read any of the books before this makes it look like some kind of complex series, but from what everybody is saying, it's not that deeply interwoven and doesn't really matter much. It took a friend just handing me a copy of The Colour of Magic and telling me to start there before I actually considered reading any Pratchett because to date I'd just had people sending me instruction manuals on how to read them.

Yeah this is a general problem not just with book recommendations but open-source software and game mods and longrunning series of all kinds. When people ask for a recommendation they don't want to be given a series of options! People are cognitive misers, they don't want to work it out, they want to be sucked in and enter narrative flow.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I'm locked out of Baru 2 til my editor finishes his pass so I started Baru 3 :toot:

Anybody here read The Orphan Master's Son? North Korea is so weird that it's practically science fictional.

To answer your second question, I have not but I want to, because yeah, NK is a fascinating/terrifying place. What I have read is The Aquariums of Pyongyang, which is a non-fiction account of a guy's experiences living in a NK work camp/gulag and is about as horrific as you can expect. Highly recommended, though obviously far from the topic of this thread.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

See it's charts like this that make people like myself and my friends not want to read Discworld at all, as someone who hasn't read any of the books before this makes it look like some kind of complex series, but from what everybody is saying, it's not that deeply interwoven and doesn't really matter much. It took a friend just handing me a copy of The Colour of Magic and telling me to start there before I actually considered reading any Pratchett because to date I'd just had people sending me instruction manuals on how to read them.

Yeah I'm just gonna read whichever ones I come across, but Guards, Guards comes up often enough when talking to people about Discworld that it seems sensible to seek that one out. The friend who lent me The Colour of Magic has all of them, I believe, so maybe I'll bug him for that one next.

I think the easiest way to avoid this problem would be to think of all of the Discworld character groupings as separate series.

So we shouldn't tell people "read Discworld", we should tell people "read the Night Watch books" or "read the Tiffany Acheing books". This, admittedly, would be easier if publishers would get aboard.

This may also apply to other similarly long and anachronic series. Which may be a moot point, as Discworld doesn't have many rivals for sheer ~number of volumes, barring Xanth (which nobody should want to read anyway), comic books, and old serials that have been running for 60 years.

But anyway, just give people a small digestible chunk of whatever it is you're trying to turn them onto, and trust that, if they like it enough, they'll find more on their own. Don't worry about whether they'll Do It Wrong and bounce off.

Kesper North posted:

The Poster Baru Cormorant.

the POTUS baru cormorant

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 30, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The first Discworld book I read was Night Watch, I couldn't tell you what the second one I read was because I spent most of the next few years swapping out one library book in the series for another. There's no required reading order for the series, continuity is more episodic than serial and most books you can appreciate on their own. I'd just recommend people skip the first five or so until they're invested enough in the series.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

To answer your second question, I have not but I want to, because yeah, NK is a fascinating/terrifying place. What I have read is The Aquariums of Pyongyang, which is a non-fiction account of a guy's experiences living in a NK work camp/gulag and is about as horrific as you can expect. Highly recommended, though obviously far from the topic of this thread.

North Korea is essentially the Imperium of Man made real, but with less 10 foot tall space marines and so on.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

General Battuta posted:

You're planning a rebellion. There's no one you trust and your money is gone. Out of the corner of your mask you spot her.

Yeah this is a general problem not just with book recommendations but open-source software and game mods and longrunning series of all kinds. When people ask for a recommendation they don't want to be given a series of options! People are cognitive misers, they don't want to work it out, they want to be sucked in and enter narrative flow.

Yep, and it's just a mark of people who are really into anything that they really want someone uninitiated to get the best of everything so they can share in that enjoyment. It's hard to distill something you've spent a lot of time with down to just a pat recommendation, so I totally get it. I've become "the horror guy" for a book club I'm part of purely because I've read more horror than anybody else in the group, not because I'm at all an expert, and I still struggle to come up with a single recommendation when people ask for a good horror novel. Admittedly, that's trying to boil down a genre to one book, but it's a similar idea.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Some of them have aged extremely well. Some of them.
As compared to what exactly? Solomon Caine?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Career change: The DJ Baru Cormorant.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I thought there were only supposed to be two books so now I'm even more excited.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Everyone knows he's going to tie this in with the new car release: The Subaru Cormorant.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Late Baru Cormorant

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pratchett reading order:
Pick a book at random ( save Shepherds crown for last though), read it, enjoy it, pick a new book and then read them all.

It is simple as that.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
One thing that bothers me about SF/F audiobooks is vocabulary, I guess I need to read a word I'm not familiar with to make sense of it sometimes. I'm listening to The Peripheral right now and one word is driving me crazy. It's only in Wilf's POV and it refers to these automatons that are fairly ubiquitous. Flynne refers to the same things as girl robots. I keep hearing the narrator say "mitchykoid" and I cannot figure out what it's supposed to be. Can somebody post the word? I only have the audiobook and can't check the text.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Looks like it is "michikoid" and is based on a common Japanese women's name, "Michiko."

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

occamsnailfile posted:

I read Color of Magic not too long ago after bouncing off it previously. It wasn't bad, but I've also read Guards! Guards! and Reaper Man and they were definitely better. I mean Pratchett has never wowed me like he does so many others, but he very much evolved his style over time, and reading the books out of order doesn't affect much.

With Color at least I got a lot of the references and I can see how it might have been pretty hilarious to someone who grew up on those things specifically, and taking the disc aspect of the world as literally as he did helped elevate even that early attempt.

Also I once tried to buy Equal Rites and every single copy in the store was missing pages 30-50 or something like that. Quality control man.

Equal Rites is the worst discworld book anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

IYKK posted:

You say that when Color of Magic exists :colbert:

(...also er I haven't read it so I mean, someone convince me that it's actually bad)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Pratchett reading order:
Pick a book at random ( save Shepherds crown for last though), read it, enjoy it, pick a new book and then read them all.

It is simple as that.

Absolutely save Shepherd's Crown for last.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IYKK posted:

No, just the most tonally dissonant. It treats witchcraft like wizardry, which is the reverse of the point.

It is, however, mildly important to have read it before Maskerade and it gets a nice payoff in I Shall Wear Midnight.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Proteus Jones posted:

Absolutely save Shepherd's Crown for last.

I'm still saving it for last. The Discworld series has been a fixture in my life since the 1980s and once I read that one there will be no more. :smith:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Groke posted:

I'm still saving it for last. The Discworld series has been a fixture in my life since the 1980s and once I read that one there will be no more. :smith:

:same:

Although I read the Bromeliad after Shepherds Crown just to go full circle of his writing.
And it was good since I got to pretend Pratchett was still alive.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

andrew smash posted:

One thing that bothers me about SF/F audiobooks is vocabulary, I guess I need to read a word I'm not familiar with to make sense of it sometimes.

I have the same problem. I grabbed City of Stairs from the library just because I have trouble with names in that book. Even though the pronunciation of the names stays pretty consistent, it's hard for me to keep characters (and gods, especially) straight without some visual memory of their names and which one is which.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IMO the worst Discworld book was whichever one was second to last. Just looked it up. Raising Steam.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chairchucker posted:

IMO the worst Discworld book was whichever one was second to last. Just looked it up. Raising Steam.
Same here. I'd love to blame it on his disease but Shepherd's Crown was pretty enjoyable so that won't be it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Pratchett, False Idols came out yesterday (by Jon Hollins). It's sort of like Pratchett if he had Tourette's and wrote a novel about a group of people that kind of actively annoy each other. I liked the first one, but I gotta wait a week or so to get the sequel.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Plot wise it was pretty poo poo, but the scenes of young dwarves being radicalised were Angry Terry at his best.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just finished The Colo(u)r of Magic and it was great fun. Definitely not the most groundbreaking book, though I'm not sure if that's because it never was, or if he kind of inspired a lot of tropes that have been reused in a lot of parody fantasy that's followed. Overall it feels like a fun and vivid world and Pratchett's got a good sense of humor, which is enough for me to pick up more Discworld books in the near future.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Okay another peripheral question; this may also be due to audiobook listening in the car (not the best place in terms of attention I can pay to the book); what did Conner's cube actually do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

andrew smash posted:

Okay another peripheral question; this may also be due to audiobook listening in the car (not the best place in terms of attention I can pay to the book); what did Conner's cube actually do?

I think it's just a brute mechanical object of ingenious design. It rolls around smashing stuff.