Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In the movie Cars, there's an Army Jeep character who is a veteran of World War 2.

What the gently caress did World War 2 look like in the Cars universe?

I imagine Car Hitler must have been a VW Beetle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bates posted:

The Alien prequels would work better as their own franchise. It's just some alien killing people because the universe is big and scary - we don't need to know its backstory and motivations. It's like taking Die Hard and explaining how Hans Gruber became a dick, why he chose Nakatomi Corp and where he met Gunther. Of course it would turn out that Mclanes and Gruber's dads actually had an epic fight 40 years ago that put Gruber on that track and then Nakatomi hosed up his moms pension plan or something. It doesn't matter. Bruce Willis is crawling around in the vents occasionally popping out to shoot and mock Germans. Done! All you need.
Please don't give them ideas for Die Hard 6. It sounds bad enough already.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

But VW was established by Hitler. I cannot allow this paradox

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aleph Null posted:

My father-in-law had a car in which you could remove the key from the ignition while the car was running and it would continue to run without issue.

So did I, my old '82 Supra had an ignition lock like that. You still needed the key inserted in order to turn it from one position to another and to start it or turn it off, but once it was started you could just pull the key out.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Everybody knows [Car Hitler] was good at the beginning, but he just went too far."

for reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marge_Schott#1990s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

But VW was established by Hitler. I cannot allow this paradox

So maybe he was a Porsche with a custom interior by Hugo Boss. A vinyl player with a stack of Wagner.

Absolutely worthless in the winter though and he didn't quite get that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, perhaps Car Hitler was a red Mercedes with a swastika on the roof.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Okay, perhaps Car Hitler was a red Mercedes with a swastika on the roof.

And that bad mother jumped the Seine so many times them League of Nations didn't know where to look

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can't watch the cars movies because of the whole eyes not being the headlights thing. It's fundamentally disturbing! I know I'm not alone!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't watch the cars movies because of the whole eyes not being the headlights thing. It's fundamentally disturbing! I know I'm not alone!

When you drive a car you look out of the windshield not the headlights. Headlights simply allow you to see easier and even then only at night. If the eyes were headlights the anthropomorphic cars would be blind during the day, an obviously ridiculous conclusion. I'm sorry but I'm taking Pixar's side on this. The eye placement in Cars is well-thought far more so than their indirect allusion to the existence of Car Hitler.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Canonically, the headlights in Cars are the cars' tits.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The extreme detail in the iris and pupil of the Cars (and one would assume, Planes) is also incredibly disconcerting. I think the pupils dilate and expand on top of them having a sonic the hedgehog thing going on (no visor)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently Pixar artists found the headlights-as-eyes idea disturbing, to the point where they had a body horror joke in Cars 2 with a car whose eyes were their headlights instead of their windshield.

A little odd given The Brave Little Toaster did it with few complaints. The 'Worthless' musical sequence was 'shot' with that in mind, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Windshields are bigger, which means the eyes are bigger, which means they require less fine detail, which means the toys are cheaper to manufacture, which means more profit.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In the movie Cars, there's an Army Jeep character who is a veteran of World War 2.

I always wanted someone to do a creepy Cars prequel short movie where you see how they killed all the humans and bulldozed us into shallow graves somewhere. I mean, they don't make sense unless people were around at some point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never watched any of the Cars movies. Why do they tend to be Pixar's least favourably-reviewed movies? I remember when Cars 2 came out there was a bit of chat about how it was the "first bad Pixar movie".

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can get into the myriad rational things I hated about Alien: Covenant, but I'll just mention the irrational one:
A character says he's going to go take a leak (god what a tired cliche) but all he does is sit down and have a cigarette. Now I'm imagining Ridley Scott originally wanted to have the spore go up the guy's dick.

He wanted to get away from the scientist for a quiet smoke but didn't wan't to tell her because they were exploring an alien planet and he was supposed to protect her so its like the worst time and place for a smoke break. He made up an excuse that she couldn't object to.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never watched any of the Cars movies. Why do they tend to be Pixar's least favourably-reviewed movies? I remember when Cars 2 came out there was a bit of chat about how it was the "first bad Pixar movie".

The first one is pretty much the plot of Doc Hollywood but with cars, and while it's ok it's somehow not as much fun as the other Pixar films - the characters aren't as interesting or endearing. Cars 2 takes the characters and dumps them into a spy movie. Like, there's no real sense, like there is with the Toy Story movies of "well because of what happened in the first movie, this makes sense in terms of where the characters go next", it's just "Here's your favourite car people, only now they're in a spy movie". Also it manages to be pretty dull. I've not seen the third one so can't really comment on that.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I agree with your position, but here's what Pixar did in response to all of the headlight complaints:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTTsP_US-kk

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I can see why other cars in that universe find it creepy because without the windshield being eyes they can see right inside the head

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Guys, they're not creatures, they're CGI toons. They don't have to be rational.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

starkebn posted:

Guys, they're not creatures, they're CGI toons. They don't have to be rational.

Neither do complaints in this thread.

Voltron: Legendary Defender: For something called the most powerful weapon in the Galaxy [Or something along those lines], Voltron kinda blows. It'd be a lot more interesting if everyone's bumbling around trying to figure out how it works was dangerous since it could wipe out entire fleets easily instead of being stonewalled by a single new robot every week. I dunno, it being a phenomenal powerhouse even while being piloted badly seems more interesting than getting its rear end kicked by a robot who's gimmick is 'tractor beam'

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Tanks are a warrior class and are not permitted to vote or hold office.

Slime posted:

I can see why other cars in that universe find it creepy because without the windshield being eyes they can see right inside the head

Do cars ever get weirded out that they can see through the side windows into each other's heads, and they're filled with tiny controls that can make them do things against their wills?

I've never seen Cars so I have no idea if humans or even animals or present, or in fact if you can see through the other windows.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rough Lobster posted:

Tanks are a warrior class and are not permitted to vote or hold office.

Do cars ever get weirded out that they can see through the side windows into each other's heads, and they're filled with tiny controls that can make them do things against their wills?

I've never seen Cars so I have no idea if humans or even animals or present, or in fact if you can see through the other windows.

The animals are cars.

It's like that "on a cobb" planet from Rick and Morty only cars.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

In Cars 2, the characters use guns, go to the bathroom, use the computer. At one point a car in a captain's hat is piloting an anthropomorphic boat as he chases another car. The writer of the movie was very clearly angry at being forced to make all of the characters in his James Bond spec script cars.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Cars 2 is the only Pixar movie I haven't seen. 2Fast2Mater Tokyo Explosion Machine

Cars 3 was pretty good.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Neither do complaints in this thread.

Voltron: Legendary Defender: For something called the most powerful weapon in the Galaxy [Or something along those lines], Voltron kinda blows. It'd be a lot more interesting if everyone's bumbling around trying to figure out how it works was dangerous since it could wipe out entire fleets easily instead of being stonewalled by a single new robot every week. I dunno, it being a phenomenal powerhouse even while being piloted badly seems more interesting than getting its rear end kicked by a robot who's gimmick is 'tractor beam'

My kid loves this show, and the old one too, and I totally get this complaint. Every single episode they're losing and then "Oh, I think my lion is trying to tell me something!"

Or they struggle for a while with a new villain and then they form Voltron, get the sword out and it's over. Why not try that first?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Or they struggle for a while with a new villain and then they form Voltron, get the sword out and it's over. Why not try that first?

The new Power Rangers movie finally did a good job addressing this with it's rules of engagement including Don't Escalate the Battle unless they do it first.

Otherwise yeah, go full megazord/voltron/ultimate sailor sayan while the baddy is still small.

It's just tropey kids TV. Kids enjoy predictable repetition in a way that adults simply don't.

I do still love Voltron, though, as a concept - goofy as it is

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like, why did He-Man need a secret identity if Skeletor already wanted to kill Prince Adam anyway?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The problem with the Cars movies is that they never justify then being Cars. As mentioned above, it's just Doc Hollywood and James Bond, but they're cars so that Disney can sell toys.

In Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Wall-E, Finding Nemo, Bugs Life, etc. the characters had to be what they were for the story to work. I mean sure, they sold a shitload of merchandise, but the films themselves had artistic integrity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's interviews where John Lasseter talks about it and he seems really passionate about cars, so maybe Cars is just about cars because the people at Pixar like cars. :shrug:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That's fine, but if you want to make a movie about Cars make a movie about Cars, not a movie about people who you then replace with Cars without changing anything about the plot.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's like, why did He-Man need a secret identity if Skeletor already wanted to kill Prince Adam anyway?

To keep his fabulous magical powers secret from his parents.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The problem with Cars is that when people talk about it they always call the cast in it characters instead of the proper term: "caracters".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

If nothing else we know that the Popemobile takes the place of the Pope.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Jesus was a hotrod.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm Pol Pothole and all the Smart Cars have to die.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Imagined posted:

My kid loves this show, and the old one too, and I totally get this complaint. Every single episode they're losing and then "Oh, I think my lion is trying to tell me something!"

The only true Voltron, Vehicle Voltron, addressed this by saying that, yes, the sword is incredibly powerful, but it takes a huge amount of energy to form and can only be maintained for a short duration.

If you have a powerful enemy and go straight for the sword and it doesn't kill them outright, you're hosed.

So they slog it out as individual units as well as while being merged to wear the enemy down to the point where they either know the sword will destroy them or are desperate enough that they have no other choice than to pull it out.

tldr: lion voltron = bitch Voltron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Brofessor Slayton posted:

If nothing else we know that the Popemobile takes the place of the Pope.

Except that the Cars Popemobile has his own Pobemobile