Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Chrpno posted:

I fixed the SG

I'm kinda drawing a blank on what happened here. Somebody tried to put in a Strat pickup in the laziest and least effective way possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Anime Reference posted:

I'm kinda drawing a blank on what happened here. Somebody tried to put in a Strat pickup in the laziest and least effective way possible?

I took the pickups out and pickguard off, got a mystery single coil from the bottom of the pickup box and stuck it in with wood screws. Problem?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Chrpno posted:

I took the pickups out and pickguard off, got a mystery single coil from the bottom of the pickup box and stuck it in with wood screws. Problem?

Tune it down to A# and play sludge with it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

At least with the pickup that far away you won't have to worry about magnetic drag sucking away your sustain.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Reference posted:

At least with the pickup that far away you won't have to worry about magnetic drag sucking away your sustain.

Is this a real thing? Because intuitively it sounds like it might be a real issue, but I'm so used to hearing guitar tone bullshit that I'm sceptical.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sout posted:

Is this a real thing? Because intuitively it sounds like it might be a real issue, but I'm so used to hearing guitar tone bullshit that I'm sceptical.

it is but the effect isn't as drastic as some make it out to be

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

sout posted:

It's widely accepted as a real thing, although I've never seen it objectively proven.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's probably measurable but only with really high precision instruments, not ears.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I love Bruce Egnater but I didn't know Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper were known for their guitar tones. Maybe they meant Ron Asheton and Bob Kulick? Hi, I'm a pedant.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I love Bruce Egnater but I didn't know Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper were known for their guitar tones. Maybe they meant Ron Asheton and Bob Kulick? Hi, I'm a pedant.

It's an important distinction and popular music (and...all other music in the Western tradition?) has a proud history of shafting the actual performers in whatever way humanly possible and it's horrible and fight against it at all opportunities

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Well I think "egnater" is a stupid name for a product, especially a kickass guitar amp, what is it an egg?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chrpno posted:

Well I think "egnater" is a stupid name for a product, especially a kickass guitar amp, what is it an egg?

lol

edit: lol I completely blew past Bruce's love for the Motor City Madman. <3

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Chrpno posted:

You're totally right. A lot of amp builders can't get past their own egos enough to give cool sounding names to their gear. The biggest example I think was back when the company formerly known as VHT's owner renamed the company to his own last name, "Fryette." They went from building amps that looked mean and goddamn spectacular just from the logo alone to slapping a giant logo on their stuff that evokes nothing but images of an effeminate frenchman.

The company went from making monsters like this:

To this:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 29, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It's more a case of they are engineers who would rather spend time making poo poo than dreaming up badass names. I don't know who the gently caress Fryette is but I guarantee Bruce was like "Egnater's good enough now back to tweaking this circuit."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Both names are fine really

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so the retrogaming thread tipped me off that there's a marathon of the early 80s video game game show starcade on twitch and watching it produced some great stupid music poo poo

like this portable record player the size of a man's shoe

this keyboard that is also a calculator

and this less-than-optimal ad for a limo service that I don't have a better thread to post in

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Gah!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't mind the emgs but LPs with trems ewwwwwww

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

how do they get it high enough? must be a mile off the body

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Okay Fryette is not a great name for an amp but it could be much worse:

https://wangs-amps-usa.myshopify.com/collections/amps

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Actuary X posted:

that first one is a pretty tiny wang

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Chrpno posted:

how do they get it high enough? must be a mile off the body

Floyd's don't really have a break angle and are routed into the body anyway so shouldn't be an issue. I've got an LP with a maestro vibrola that's got a slight route towards the tailpiece to accommodate and the angle is fine for sustain and tuning (or as fine as a vibrola is ever gonna be).

Allen Wren posted:

]

The venerable VL1! Made it on to a lot of records amazingly. I like the early Casio stuff in a cheesy way - I have one of the Casiotone 101s which is an incredibly basic analog synth with the all important 'Frog' preset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqk0jwNs2Ew

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

You're totally right. A lot of amp builders can't get past their own egos enough to give cool sounding names to their gear. The biggest example I think was back when the company formerly known as VHT's owner renamed the company to his own last name, "Fryette." They went from building amps that looked mean and goddamn spectacular just from the logo alone to slapping a giant logo on their stuff that evokes nothing but images of an effeminate frenchman.

pretty sure it's more that it's fairly common bordering on convention to just name your company after yourself e.g. jim marshall, leo fender, hartley peavey, randy mesa/boogie, etc

Kilometers Davis posted:

nah they're cool

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 29, 2017

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

The venerable VL1! Made it on to a lot of records amazingly. I like the early Casio stuff in a cheesy way - I have one of the Casiotone 101s which is an incredibly basic analog synth with the all important 'Frog' preset.

It's on this song too.... until they get told to "turn that bloody blimey space invader off!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XvdgeXuyPs

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Not forgetting Reginald Orange and Jeff Diezel.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Not forgetting Reginald Orange and Jeff Diezel.

peter diezel is a real guy

mike engl on the other hand...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

It'd be remiss not to include M. Pignose in our list of high quality amplification builders.

butros fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 29, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ok any time Pignose gets mentioned I will always follow it by saying the Pignose circuit is one of the best ever ok bye.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

butros posted:

It'd be remiss not to include M. Pignose in our list of high quality amplification builders.
It's Italian, it's pronounced Pee-NYO-say.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Me: gently caress gibson, les pauls are badly designed clunky 12 lb boat anchors with poo poo playability

Gibson:

Me: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Actuary X posted:

I still think "tone fanciers" is the perfect gang tag for this thread

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
never would've guessed lena dunham was a bc rich owner or a tone fancier

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
When you bought an 18 string but the only song you know is Basket Case by Green Day

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That kid probably plays some face-melting Boris covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_5MEME6UU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

FYI I bought one of these new and played it a lot (a little). Never used it as a calculator. I could be wrong, but I want to say I bought it at a Radio Shack. Or maybe a KB Toys store.
Either way, I had one, and for all I know it's still in my parents' attic.

It did stuff.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

VHT's owner renamed the company to his own last name, "Fryette." They went from building amps that looked mean and goddamn spectacular just from the logo alone to slapping a giant logo on their stuff that evokes nothing but images of an effeminate frenchman.

It's a dumb rebranding move, but i feel like this kinda says more about you than anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wasn't the deal with VHT/Fryette that he had financial troubles, put the VHT name up for cash and then couldn't pay it off and therefore lost the VHT brand name? I think I recall that happening. Can't really blame a guy for a new name when he lost the rights to the old one.

• Locked thread