Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age: after around 20 hours, I'm now sure I liked the original giant shared license board better than the job system. It's a pity they didn't make that at least an optional choice at the beginning. That worked for FFX, just the other way around, I suppose.

The common complaint is "everyone ends up the same", yeah well everyone ends up the same in FFX if you take them around the whole sphere grid or in FFV if you master every job or in FFVIII if you play the game, doesn't mean you have to sit down and grind that out. The advantage of the shared board was if you felt you hosed up someone's build late in the game you could still invest some points and take them in a different direction. Choosing a class in Zodiac Age is an uninformed decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Slime posted:

the real reason is that bethesda can't make an interesting apocalypse world and as for new vegas it's because they had to re-use fallout 3's assets

Eh I'm gonna be generous and say its because people expect a certain thing from Fallout. And because of how 2 was linked to 1 people now expect a continuity, so they cant just do these random unrelated stories.

The series is just as much at mercy of marketing as anything else and if you deviate too much from the formula you risk losing your audience, even if its done well by a competent studio (Bethesda is not, of course but obsidian is hampered by not being as much of a household name.)

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Aug 29, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Barudak posted:

20? Haha no its 210 years later.

That makes it seem even more likely that some else has used it since!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't give a poo poo about everything else looking like rear end in fallout 4, but why the hell can't I remove all the destroyed buildings in my settlements? I'm some sort of master architect/construction worker who can just slap up concrete towers so I should be able to renovate/remove these broken down houses.

Hell, just nailing up some plywood on the open frames would be nice.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lap-Lem posted:

The games main storyline is that all this stuff was used post war, the Institute just rolls through and wipes everyone out every x years.

Much like how the Bethesda haters roll through and ruin this thread every x pages am I right??? :nallears:

Speaking of safes and immersion, the fact that nobody has made a game where all the safe combinations are just combinations of 420 and 69 with a few left at the dlfactpry default 12344 is the most unbelievable thing. At least plenty of games have people using basic poo poo like "admin" as passwords and leaving their login info on a sticky note on their desk.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

The excuse in FO3 is that DC got turbofucked so it's way behind. In New Vegas it's that New Vegas in particular sucks, the rest of the world is moving on. In FO4 it's the Institute being shitheads for no obvious reason.

Not quite. 3 was turbofucked because it was DC, recently became habitable, and you'd be silly to not reintroduce a defunct game series as not hosed up. New Vegas was intentionally designed as being generally post-post-apocolypse, partially due to its closeness to F1/F2 Areas and partially for story reasons (House having defended most of it)*. 4's area was hosed up because it took a (Fallout world) nuke to the corner of the map.

* and the visually-most-entertaining DLC had a - wait for it - freshly nuked location...

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Aug 29, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Much like how the Bethesda haters roll through and ruin this thread every x pages am I right??? :nallears:

Well, no one wants to make Heavy Rain jokes anymore. Sadly, it's lost its luster.

So oh my god, I wish there was another gibberish language option in Hyrule Warriors Legends because Twili Midna sounds loving terrible. And the biggest kick in the pants about that is that she's also a really good character to use when going for A-ranks since she's great for fighting small mobs and you need 1200 kills for an A-rank.

I also wish there was a way to highlight multiple things in the upgrades menu so I didn't have to go to every single option one at a time to activate it. I've got 500 monster teeth, just let me give everyone who uses them tier-1 armor!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

This will always be the silliest thing about the Fallout series. It's been 200 years throw the skulls out of the bed you're sleeping in at least.

The excuse in FO3 is that DC got turbofucked so it's way behind. In New Vegas it's that New Vegas in particular sucks, the rest of the world is moving on. In FO4 it's the Institute being shitheads for no obvious reason.

That bugged me in the Far Harbour DLC. Right at the beginning you go to some family's house as their daughter is missing. It's implied that this family lived there for a while as they had a grandpa living with them at some point.

Inside the house it's filled with piles of dirt, broken windows and furniture, garbage everywhere.

You'd think they'd have swept up a bit in the amount of time they've been there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I rarely even notice crap like that, but what went too far even for me was this ghoul couple who said they were living in the same house as when the bombs fell. The house looks exactly like every other house (junk everywhere, falling apart, huge holes in the side, etc) and they're just sitting nonchalantly in this junk heap like "what, I'm not cleaning my room"

This would barely be believable if the apocalypse happened 1 year ago, except it happened literally 2 centuries ago and they're still sitting there

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, aside from the ridiculous name dragging it down, also doesn't remember your match preferences when playing alone so I have to tell it I want to play first person only between every match.

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
MGSV and asking Quiet to shoot people. Whenever I ask her to tranq a soldier wearing a helmet it's always the same: "Fire!" ... *clang*

In cutscenes she snipes a pilot out of a passing jet and shoots through the spinning rotor of a helicopter, yet god forbid I ask her to put a dart in the face or neck of a casually strolling soldier. I just assume it's passive aggression for every time she's watched me do the same thing with my crummy tranq pistol.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In Yakuza 0 I never feel like the stakes are particularly high because in the end I'm a videogame protagonist and can just punch/kick/clobber with a motorcycle my way out of whatever problems may arise. I know this is true for pretty much any videogame but for some reason it's really hitting me in Yakuza 0.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Never played the Yakuza series myself, so I'm being sincere & not a sarcastic shitlord when I ask: is that any less true of the previous games?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Moon Monster posted:

In Yakuza 0 I never feel like the stakes are particularly high because in the end I'm a videogame protagonist and can just punch/kick/clobber with a motorcycle my way out of whatever problems may arise. I know this is true for pretty much any videogame but for some reason it's really hitting me in Yakuza 0.

Have you gotten to the scene where Kiryu and Nishiki skip out of town and drive into the middle of nowhere? Because I think that's really where the narrative starts amping it up. Like, yeah, you're tough, but the consequences for failure are beyond grim

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Destiny 2's PC beta was really fun. Now I have to wait until the end of october for the game to come out. :negative: It's annoying to have to wait so long for something cool. I want it that instant gratification now.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sonic Mania

the gravity orbs from S & K's special stages are a thing you gotta use to travel in one of the later stages.

i don't like em.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sniper Party posted:

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, aside from the ridiculous name dragging it down, also doesn't remember your match preferences when playing alone so I have to tell it I want to play first person only between every match.

The game is called Plunkbat.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls 3: Oh god you're telling me that Cathedral Knight I killed, with the Great-weapon, Great-shield, Miracle-magic, tons of health; that wasn't a mini-boss but a common enemy.

NG+ is rather lame because the only new stuff you can find is +1 and +2 versions of the rings you have. But with the DLC you can get +3 rings on your first playthrough which negates any use the NG+ rings have.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nuebot posted:

Destiny 2's PC beta was really fun. Now I have to wait until the end of october for the game to come out. :negative: It's annoying to have to wait so long for something cool. I want it that instant gratification now.

No, you can play that one strike for the next couple of days, over and over again! THEN wait until the end of october.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Maxwell Lord posted:

I have the benefit of mostly talking about it in Finnish and PELAAJATUNTEMATTOMAN TAISTELUKENTÄT sounds ridiculous enough to be at least slightly amusing so far.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

No, you can play that one strike for the next couple of days, over and over again! THEN wait until the end of october.

That doesn't help, that doesn't help at all!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dark Souls 3: Oh god you're telling me that Cathedral Knight I killed, with the Great-weapon, Great-shield, Miracle-magic, tons of health; that wasn't a mini-boss but a common enemy.

NG+ is rather lame because the only new stuff you can find is +1 and +2 versions of the rings you have. But with the DLC you can get +3 rings on your first playthrough which negates any use the NG+ rings have.

Better yet, that cathedral knight you killed wasn't even the hardest form of the cathedral knight!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Dark Souls I finally gave it an honest try and strated to actually enjoy the game. But gently caress the camera. It was bad enough with the capra demon, but right now im in Anor Londo, the Fatguy/Lightning spear dude bossfight and the camera constantly fucks me over when im locked on because they jump around and swing my camera into a pillar or a wall and im looking at the back of my dumb helmet or someones giant gold plated crotch.

Is it better in later games?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vic posted:

Dark Souls I finally gave it an honest try and strated to actually enjoy the game. But gently caress the camera. It was bad enough with the capra demon, but right now im in Anor Londo, the Fatguy/Lightning spear dude bossfight and the camera constantly fucks me over when im locked on because they jump around and swing my camera into a pillar or a wall and im looking at the back of my dumb helmet or someones giant gold plated crotch.

No, it's not. Also don't lock on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vic posted:

Turn off Camera Auto Correct (or something that sounds like that) and it's way better.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The woods scene is great yeah but at the end of the day if you know who is going to make it out alive and breathing because it's a prequel to a 5 (6 now) game series.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Vic posted:

no.

don't lock on.

if it's too much, unhollow and look for a summon by the stairs leading to the giant blacksmith

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What happens when people finally get over DS and you can't summon? It's kinda busted that an important mechanic for new/bad players is just going to disappear with the game's audience. I know there's NPC summons, but they're bad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

well why not posted:

What happens when people finally get over DS and you can't summon? It's kinda busted that an important mechanic for new/bad players is just going to disappear with the game's audience. I know there's NPC summons, but they're bad.
there's still a fairly healthy population on all the games despite them being spread across a million platforms and, in the case of DS2, actually being two games on most of those. I don't think it'll be a concern for a while.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The NPC summons are also good enough for distracting the boss while you wail on them. I beat O&S by just having Solaire tank while I shredded Smough. He died a little ways into Super Ornstein, but by then I could handle the fight.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This was my favorite part of the Bloodborne DLC. Especially if you go in under-leveled and just barely manage to bring down the first Hunter you run into.

Well hey, Hunters don't respawn in the main game right? Clear sailing from here.

Ha.

Ha ha.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also the NPC summons are way more than enough help sometimes, Tarkus with zero help from you will more often than not blow the tower golem's rear end out.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tarkus is a true baller, but the Tower Golem isn't exactly the toughest that the game has to offer. Stuff like O&S or Fume Knight can be absolutely brutal if you don't know what you're doing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

well why not posted:

Tarkus is a true baller, but the Tower Golem isn't exactly the toughest that the game has to offer. Stuff like O&S or Fume Knight can be absolutely brutal if you don't know what you're doing.

Solaire is more than enough to help you with O&S.

Fume Knight is a DLC boss deep into the second game. Newbie players are unlikely to be stuck on him.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

it's pub-G

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
In Slime Rancher, you have to keep your slimes fed. How can you tell they're hungry? Well, they make this face:

For several hours of gameplay I thought it meant they're angry or sick. Eyes closed and mouth bleeding isn't really what I associate with hunger.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They got the anime drooly mouth going I suppose.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Thoughtless posted:

In Slime Rancher, you have to keep your slimes fed. How can you tell they're hungry? Well, they make this face:

For several hours of gameplay I thought it meant they're angry or sick. Eyes closed and mouth bleeding isn't really what I associate with hunger.

feed that hungry boy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fil5000 posted:

To be fair at least playing the same thing over and over and over again will get you prepared for doing just that when the game comes out.

kazil posted:

Solaire is more than enough to help you with O&S.

I beat O&S on my first try because of Solaire. I wasn't even aware they were considered a tough boss until I heard people complain about them.

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel the same way about Yakuza Kiwami right now. I just don't care about the story because I know exactly who makes it out and who doesn't. But then, the games have never really had particularly interesting storylines, it's about seeing Kiryu punch his way out of things then earning everybody's respect in the process because he's that much of a badass.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morpheus posted:

I feel the same way about Yakuza Kiwami right now. I just don't care about the story because I know exactly who makes it out and who doesn't. But then, the games have never really had particularly interesting storylines, it's about seeing Kiryu punch his way out of things then earning everybody's respect in the process because he's that much of a badass.

The stories are slow burns and it really does depend on how much time you focus on the main stuff versus the side activities.

Yakuza plots always involve the intricacies between mob politics and how people gently caress their own all the time and I don't think many people know that going in and expect older GTA-style missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I beat them without solaire and the best/worst thing was that each time I was so close but made a panic roll in the wrong direction every loving time