Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There's plenty of breakfast options, Japan is just one of those countries that doesn't really have a distinct concept of breakfast foods. There's some stuff like tamago kake gohan but usually you just get noodles or something.

There was some restaurant at Roppongi Hills that specialized in pancakes, but didn't open until 11:00 in the morning. I didn't really understand that.

Not okonomiyaki but the stereotypical Western style pancakes that you'd eat at breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Phone posted:

Yeah, you're going super overboard. You can stay in a completely serviceable business hotel with breakfast for like $100/night per person that has washing machines on site. I've been in a room at the Ritz, and while it had an absolutely stunning view and the amenities were ridiculously nice, I couldn't tell someone that it was a Must Have Experience.

If you're super into food and do high end dining all of the time at home, sure go nuts; however, I would find it hard to believe that having train station yakisoba wouldn't be just as memorable.

100 is hard in Tokyo these days for biz hotels. Keep in mind that most people arent old ossans who are used to smoke everywhere and or are perfectly fine with Toyoko and or tiny rooms. But even Toyoko kinda charges more in Tokyo.

Then again I usually get twins.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Richard M Nixon posted:

I keep reading how stupid expensive Tokyo is and two weeks internationally for under $10k sounds cheap to me but I've never done Asia so I may be over planning. I'm not anticipating any shopping splurges just for the gently caress of it, but I know the gf will probably be grabbing clothing from time to time. She'll also want some kind of cool scrapbooking stuff and I found some store in Tokyo that lets you make your own ink so I know that's a win. My souvenirs will probably be kit kats, gross flavors of potato chips, etc.

If not #1, culture through food is at least a #2 priority and we're both big into high end dining in our daily lives, so that's where some of my planning is going. I'm not talking caviar lunches daily (though with sushi I guess it's true) but I do want to get a bad rear end kaseki, waygu, maybe the molecular gastronomy place at the mandarin, and one or two other best in class places.

We're not prissy socialites or anything (gently caress, we're from Texas), we just really like quality dining and it's the way we like to take in culture because we'll talk about a good meal more than we'll talk about seeing the eiffel tower or the coliseum.

This lady keeps a good list of top end Tokyo restaurants: http://www.luxeat.com/reviews/by-location/tokyo/
She's got a writeup of the three top ranked sushi places in Tokyo here: http://www.luxeat.com/blog/october-sushi-affair-saito-sugita-mitani/
To those I'd add Yoshitake, I went not too long ago and it was great: http://www.luxeat.com/blog/sushi-yoshitake/

Bit of advice, get a concierge or a contact here and start booking ASAP. Yoshitake is a bit of an outlier here because they only open booking on the first of the preceding month. So to book in September you have to call August 1st, and they do fill up in a day. I'd offer but I'm kinda busy with real life atm, and it's a fair amount of hassle.

Here's my foursquare: https://foursquare.com/user/53160958/list/restaurants It only really covers Shinjuku and Kanda and is short on Japanese food, but for what it's worth.

*edit*
Forgot, if you're coming for food probably worth checking out out the ramen adventures guy: http://www.ramenadventures.com/

Stringent fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 25, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The talk about michelin stars reminded me of the loving wacko English language reviews of places I went to in Japan.

When in Kyoto especially I was going to (fantastic) places goons had recommended, and while I was looking for where they are on google maps the reviews would pop up and I'd check em out and man were some of the English language ones ridic.

I remember one really good vegetarian place I went to in Kyoto had like a 7 paragraph screed on trip advisor about how ridiculous it was the reviewer's 8 person party had trouble sitting together in the like 40sqm Japanese restaurant and the waitstaff weren't in to scanning 8 different credit cards while splitting the bill in weirdly specific ways--like Jenny only ate 2 of the 5 fried pieces of fried tofu so charge her for 40% of that...

On accommodation, is AirBNB still weirdly not quite legal? I didn't know about it's precarious position in Japan until I'd been to and stayed in AirBNBs a bunch of time there. In Tokyo specifically they seemed like way more bang for you buck.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

On accommodation, is AirBNB still weirdly not quite legal? I didn't know about it's precarious position in Japan until I'd been to and stayed in AirBNBs a bunch of time there. In Tokyo specifically they seemed like way more bang for you buck.

As far as I can tell "weirdly not quite legal" describes about half of the Japanese economy so vOv. And yeah, AirBNB definitely the way to go in Tokyo at least.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm not a big cycling fan so the kaido course made the just just because it is apparently the one that Conde Nast loves to cover. I'll admit I've seen the cycling on the beach anime scenes that I want to recreate, but I know they beaches aren't really what I'm imagining in Japan. Sounds like Kyoto will have some cool chances to bike around too?

Shimanami Kaido is one of the best bike trails in the world, but if you don't love cycling, then please avoid it in mid-summer. (´;ω;`)
Kyoto is a flat grid city, perfect for biking, except all the drat people and buses...
You can still daytrip to the beach from Tokyo.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
So just random thoughts,

Basically, people outside of Japan are obsessed with *the best X* every single time, like the best Wagyu or the best Sushi or the best Kaiseki or the best Teppanyaki or the best Shabu.

First of all, the best shabu is probably in probably in Thailand or South America where the drug trade is wild. Second, Japan is already seriously one of the top foodiest countries in the world. So if you go into any decently fancy place, the food is going to be very very good. For example, in the bay area, when I go to a restaurant for a 20-60$ meal, 75% of the time I'm going to expect it to be OK, but not particularly spectacular. When I go to a restaurant in Japan, 75% of the time it's going to be very good. What this means is, a 40-80$ restaurant that focuses on Tempura is going to be, for lack of better words, incredible. You can get a very good Kaiseki at your ryokan. All Wagyu is good. You can get very solid sushi for 50-100$.

Also, 95% of the best food I've ever had in Japan never really came from a michelin star place. I had some of the best Snapper in a Minshuku in Shiretoko. I've had some of the best homemade Jam from some old lady in Furano. Uni? Well nothing compares to the stuff sold out at the market in Hakodate. Rice? some of the most amazing rice I've had came from Fukushima.

So basically, just explore and you're going to find good things. It's just a good way to travel.

PS: Japan does have a concept of breakfast food, but that is: Rice, Miso, Natto, and Raw Egg. Also maybe boiled sausage. Alternatively, konbini.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Even if you want to try the BEST sushi it's probably a waste if you like salmon sushi

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

don't go looking for places just tell Ned or stringent "I wanna get drunk" and follow them wherever they take you

Guaranteed great time. Love em

Fact. Ned's my boy!

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I've stayed in dozens of Airbnb spots in Japan, highly recommended over business hotels. In some smaller cities the Airbnbs might be slightly more expensive but I've only ran into that a few times.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

So just random thoughts,

Basically, people outside of Japan are obsessed with *the best X* every single time, like the best Wagyu or the best Sushi or the best Kaiseki or the best Teppanyaki or the best Shabu.

First of all, the best shabu is probably in probably in Thailand or South America where the drug trade is wild. Second, Japan is already seriously one of the top foodiest countries in the world. So if you go into any decently fancy place, the food is going to be very very good. For example, in the bay area, when I go to a restaurant for a 20-60$ meal, 75% of the time I'm going to expect it to be OK, but not particularly spectacular. When I go to a restaurant in Japan, 75% of the time it's going to be very good. What this means is, a 40-80$ restaurant that focuses on Tempura is going to be, for lack of better words, incredible. You can get a very good Kaiseki at your ryokan. All Wagyu is good. You can get very solid sushi for 50-100$.

Also, 95% of the best food I've ever had in Japan never really came from a michelin star place. I had some of the best Snapper in a Minshuku in Shiretoko. I've had some of the best homemade Jam from some old lady in Furano. Uni? Well nothing compares to the stuff sold out at the market in Hakodate. Rice? some of the most amazing rice I've had came from Fukushima.

So basically, just explore and you're going to find good things. It's just a good way to travel.

PS: Japan does have a concept of breakfast food, but that is: Rice, Miso, Natto, and Raw Egg. Also maybe boiled sausage. Alternatively, konbini.

I don't disagree with this, I've generally found that most places once you get past $100 you're mostly paying for service and ambience.

The exception to that is sushi. With starred sushi places your money's going into the ingredients to a much higher extent than most other kinds of dining. Those uni from Hakodate? They were flown down that morning. The rice from Fukushima? The chef knows an even better field two roads down and the farmer only sells to him.

So yeah, for sushi at least I think going spendy is well worth the money.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Not really disagreeing with you either since sushi is also my favorite food, and I totally understand as well, having been to a good number of > $200 places.

Strangely, sushi for me starts with the ambiance and the chef. Even outside of Japan, I like going for good sushi every other week. With a place that costs between $80-120, I can afford doing this, and building a relationship with the owner, and in return I get good conversation and a lot of random and uncommon appetizers that normally aren't served to others. With a place that is over $200, I can really only afford to go once or twice.

I'm sure the regulars who can afford it all of the time love it though.

PS: I actually dont recommend AirBNB in major cities. There is a bit of uncertainty even though things will usually go really well. But honestly, the main issue with them is that they're sometimes far away from stations. Instead, I recommend private rooms in swanky hostels. Usually they're like 40-50$ per person, and the amenities are actually pretty sweet. Tokyo has a lot of good hostels.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 25, 2017

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I forgot how hot Tokyo is Jesus gently caress

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Bet you can't wait to get back to Singapore huh?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

Bet you can't wait to get back to Singapore huh?

Singapore is straight up a fair bit less hot and humid than Tokyo summers.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do I survive Japan with a peanut and soy allergy? Visiting my brother and my partner is allergic. I'm thinking having a note is a good idea for restaurants?

How limited will we be with eating out and will the restaurants be accommodating?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Affi posted:

How do I survive Japan with a peanut and soy allergy? Visiting my brother and my partner is allergic. I'm thinking having a note is a good idea for restaurants?

How limited will we be with eating out and will the restaurants be accommodating?

Lol, restaurants. Your partner is gonna be eating rice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah with a soy allergy you might as well not bother with Japanese restaurants. If you're in a big city you have options, if you're going somewhere small uh. Microwaved conbini rice packages I guess.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You better get travel insurance.

And this is the time where I won't judge people for eating macdonalds everyday

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually Tokyo has a Lanzhou noodle shop in Kanda you

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
She can handle soy sauce for some reason just not y'know other soy products. Peanuts are the "help I'm dying + adrenaline injection" kind of allergies. Soy is more itchy.

So peanuts. That's cool right? I'd hate to bring her along to Japan and have her die on me.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
I think McDonalds uses soy products in Japan. I know a lot of food at the convenience stores do too. Good luck that's a tough one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Affi posted:

She can handle soy sauce for some reason just not y'know other soy products. Peanuts are the "help I'm dying + adrenaline injection" kind of allergies. Soy is more itchy.

So peanuts. That's cool right? I'd hate to bring her along to Japan and have her die on me.

If soy sauce is doable then it should be okay, that's the only completely unavoidable soy product in Japanese food. I am not sure how into peanut oil Japan is, that's the most likely place to encounter peanuts. Peanuts themselves aren't used as an ingredient much, only time I remember seeing them in Japanese restaurants are as their own side dish. There are allergy cards in Japanese you can download and print.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah I'd focus on the peanut allergy and just deal with soy itchiness and avoid obvious megasoy like edamame and whole tofu.
Soy sauce is fermented, that might break down whatever protein is the problem.

At my old job I replaced a vegan girl who had developed a soy intolerance. She was miserable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

peanut posted:

Yeah I'd focus on the peanut allergy

you would

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:nutshot:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i know a guy who has lived in asia for years with a peanut, soy and sesame allergy and I am literally amazed he is alive.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So are tattoos and baths still a thing or can we find any good places where tattooed cool people can enjoy like a nice hot spring?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Affi posted:

So are tattoos and baths still a thing or can we find any good places where tattooed cool people can enjoy like a nice hot spring?

Somewhat dependent on where you go. Most will theoretically not allow you, but some places nobody cares unless someone makes a stink of it even if they're technically banned. I've been to onsen with my fairly tatted rugby team any number of times and it's never been an issue where we go.

Downside is if you get called on it you're out the money. So if it's one that's cheaper go for it and don't make a stink it you get called on it.

If you're looking to go to a nice place overnight for a few hundred bucks a head, best not to risk it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Affi posted:

http://www.takaragawa.com/english.html

Mixed bathing and they don't care about tattoos.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Stringent posted:

http://www.takaragawa.com/english.html

Mixed bathing and they don't care about tattoos.

Looks pretty good. How filled up are the baths usually in the middle of a week? And how crowded is the area generally?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So castles! We'll be in and around Tokyo, live in Fujisawa with my brother for a period and visit Kyoto!

I want awesome castles with good guided tours in English if possible. Which ones are worth a visit?

My partner has a thing for castles with stories basically and since I'm dragging her allergic rear end halfway across the world I should probably plan stuff she likes to do too. (Big plus if there is some horrible torture equipment / execution methods on display)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Virtually every castle in Japan is fake and empty, but northeast of Kyoto about an hour is Hikone Castle, which has an actual old keep. It's still empty but it is very cool. There is no guided tour.

The Imperial Palace is also cool and wasn't bombed so it's on the older side. I believe they have tours? I just wandered around it on my own.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese castles aren't that huge on the inside and don't have basements but it sounds like you'll be planning a day trip to Himeji.

My first castle was Hiroshima and uhh it was s concrete reconstruction, can you guess why? Osaka and some others are, too. You can look at each one-by-one here https://www.100finecastles.com/castles-list/ Does anyone know a comprehensive English site like this? Everything I've found is Best 5 etc.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2296.html
Japan Guide lists Matsuyama twice and 4/12 on that list is in Shikoku :peanut:

In Kyoto Nijo-jo was cool but the Imperial Palace was bland. You can't go inside the pretty parts. I liked the tiny shrine across the street that was absolutely crammed with wild boar* figures.

*We went in the Year of the Boar.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There are two Matsuyama Castles. I've been to them both. One is in Okayama.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

"Bitchu Matsuyama" hehehe

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Don't bother with Osaka castle the inside sucks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Affi posted:

Looks pretty good. How filled up are the baths usually in the middle of a week? And how crowded is the area generally?

Not very. Mornings and nights when it's just guests at the ryokan are best. Access from Tokyo is a bit inconvenient, so except for three day weekends it is not crowded at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

prompt posted:

Don't bother with Osaka castle the inside sucks.

The grounds outside are pretty cool to wander around and check out, though. At least I thought so. And it's free if that matters at all.