Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I always thought pennywises whole "horrors greatest hits" schtick was dumb. You have a creepy rear end clown then you sideline it for a plastic skeleton and a guy with a crappy wolfman mask...or a freddy mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Ready Player One looks totally lame, I can't believe anybody would fall for such shallow nostalgia pandering. Anyways, how kickin' rad would it be if Pennywise turned into the loving Xenomorph and instead of silver bullets they use the sword from Thundercats???

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
According to pictures that were posted back when they were converting that Canadian town into "Derry" for the filming, the Derry movie theater lists Batman and Lethal Weapon 2 on the marquee. If they wanted to have the kids watch a Freddy movie, they could have gone with Nightmare on Elm Street 5 which came out that summer.

Maybe Pennywise disguises himself as Mel Gibson. That's pretty frightening.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

banned from Starbucks posted:

I always thought pennywises whole "horrors greatest hits" schtick was dumb. You have a creepy rear end clown then you sideline it for a plastic skeleton and a guy with a crappy wolfman mask...or a freddy mask?

It's whole thing is that It's what you're most afraid of. Pennywise the Dancing Clown is supposed to be the bait. Of course, in the new movie Pennywise looks super creepy, but I like to think it's because It is so alien and inhuman that even Its attempts to look harmless and appealing are horrific and unsettling.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
If the movie takes place in 1989 the kids likely won't have seen the R-rated movies because the methods to see r-rated movies was limited. You could sneak into a movie, and you might have a vcr, but that's about it. The kids are 9-10 years old. Their knowledge of 80s monsters would be more from pop culture osmosis than a direct viewing. They could still do a Freddy or a Jason, but it would be a Halloween costume version of the two.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If the movie takes place in 1989 the kids likely won't have seen the R-rated movies because the methods to see r-rated movies was limited. You could sneak into a movie, and you might have a vcr, but that's about it. The kids are 9-10 years old. Their knowledge of 80s monsters would be more from pop culture osmosis than a direct viewing. They could still do a Freddy or a Jason, but it would be a Halloween costume version of the two.

Man, I was a ten-year-old slasher aficionado by '89. Video rentals were a thing.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Maybe they have HBO.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Sneaking into movies is a rite of passage, so it's totally appropriate for It.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Phylodox posted:

Man, I was a ten-year-old slasher aficionado by '89. Video rentals were a thing.

Lucky. I could never get my parents to rent horror movies, unless it was more comedic stuff like Ghostbusters or the Monster Squad.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
oop, wrong thread

an owls casket fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 30, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Lucky. I could never get my parents to rent horror movies, unless it was more comedic stuff like Ghostbusters or the Monster Squad.

If you had to get your parents to rent horror movies for you, you were going to the wrong rental place. I remember renting Phantasm II and the clerk not even batting an eye.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Phylodox posted:

If you had to get your parents to rent horror movies for you, you were going to the wrong rental place. I remember renting Phantasm II and the clerk not even batting an eye.

I never had money. :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Sneaking into movies is a rite of passage, so it's totally appropriate for It.

It's this.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Just thinking about it though, you could still do a werewolf. It wouldn't be based off the old 50s version, but probably more along the lines of An American Werewolf or the Thriller video.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Just thinking about it though, you could still do a werewolf. It wouldn't be based off the old 50s version, but probably more along the lines of [...] the Thriller video.

The Thriller werewolf was pretty obviously an homage to I Was a Teenage Werewolf, which was the werewolf that appeared in It, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Phylodox posted:

The Thriller werewolf was pretty obviously an homage to I Was a Teenage Werewolf, which was the werewolf that appeared in It, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

poo poo. I didn't even make that connection.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Phylodox posted:

They mention it during the adult portion:

Michael Fassbender dressed as a clown.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll do the fingering. Honk honk.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

The movie monsters should all be from Stephen King movies. The werewolf from Silver Bullet, Cujo, Pascow from Pet Sematary, etc

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kevyn posted:

The movie monsters should all be from Stephen King movies. The werewolf from Silver Bullet, Cujo, Pascow from Pet Sematary, etc

The truck from Maximum Overdrive ...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A hysterical Bronson Pinchot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The blowjob furry from The Shining.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A coked-out Stephen King ...

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There should be a scene where they just walk in on Pennywise recreating that loving Tom Petty video with one of the kids he's killed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

banned from Starbucks posted:

He's tapping into the primal fears of children, dude. Maybe this film is not for you. Did you read the book?

EDIT: using a few King tropes is actually a really clever idea. Someone else brought it up before and I like IT.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 30, 2017

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Kevyn posted:

The movie monsters should all be from Stephen King movies

"Bevvie? Come on over here sugarbuns! This machine just called me an rear end in a top hat!"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Origami Dali posted:

A hysterical Bronson Pinchot.

*Italian finger kiss*

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why did IT just rip off Georgie's arm? Did he fill up on breadsticks or something?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My father (at my request) hired me Dawn of the dead when I was 8. gently caress me backwards that was a mistake.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Panfilo posted:

Why did IT just rip off Georgie's arm? Did he fill up on breadsticks or something?

I haven't read the book in forever but I always had the impression that IT kills and satiates itself by draining its prey in some weird psychic/spiritual/emotional kind of way in addition to physically eating a meal.

But I think it was also just to have that gnawing in the characters' heads of obviously this kid didn't drown and something beyond awful was done to him by something awful ( :haw: ) but we're just going to forget that and say he drowned. The town being a poo poo town with a lot of poo poo people in it plays a huge part in the story so that makes sense to me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 30, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neo Rasa posted:

I haven't read the book in forever but I always had the impression that IT kills and satiates itself by draining its prey in some weird psychic/spiritual/emotional kind of way in addition to physically eating a meal.

But I think it was also just to have that gnawing in the characters' heads of obviously this kid didn't drown and something beyond awful was done to him by something awful ( :haw: ) but we're just going to forget that and say he drowned. The town being a poo poo town with a lot of poo poo people in it plays a huge part in the story so that makes sense to me.

Yeah, IT for some reason got a lot out of just loving with people, doing or causing incredibly gruesome things to happen throughout history that it wouldn't have really been able to directly physically feed on. One reason I was concerned with the adaptation having georgie go completely missing as a big part of Bills pain and motivation wasn't just him being dead but how gruesome and monstrous it made everything. It looks they're going to be filling that motivation hole with "georgie" talking to bill on a walkie talkie after his disappearance, egging him on and blaming him.

One thing I hope they don't lose is how blunt IT was so often. The previews so far make IT seem a lot more distant and quiet, and I always liked in the book how IT was often talking directly to them like "hey you four eyed fuckface, what if I turn your tongue into pus? I can do it you know.".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite part about reading a book is casting characters for my mind's eye. Since the new movie already got half, imma try and throw down my new list while I'm reading now.

Bill- Bill Hader
Richie- Seth Green with black hair(I like the idea of it and I can kind of see it.)
Mike - Jason Mitchell
Bev - Lizzie Caplan
Ben - Chris Pratt

Here's my crazy pick

Eddie - Fred Savage

Kid looks just like Fred Savage.

I don't really care about Stan since uh... you know.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Panfilo posted:

An adult runs up in the middle of it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Thanks for the explanation. Yeah it seems like IT feeds off fear, apparently that's why it preys on children; their fears are tangible and stark, while adults fears are more rooted in reality.

But apparently in the book IT could also somehow manipulate adults? Hypnotizing them with its Dead Lights? Did they every explain why a grown adult would want to listen to some Fear Monster? Is IT manifesting itself as an overgrown weedy lawn and threatening to report them to their HOA or something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah it seems like IT feeds off fear, apparently that's why it preys on children; their fears are tangible and stark, while adults fears are more rooted in reality.

But apparently in the book IT could also somehow manipulate adults? Hypnotizing them with its Dead Lights? Did they every explain why a grown adult would want to listen to some Fear Monster? Is IT manifesting itself as an overgrown weedy lawn and threatening to report them to their HOA or something?

It has the ability to influence and manipulate people of any age, it's just that fear is the thing that it feeds on. So someone like Bev's husband is not a good meal for It, he's a complete shithead that probably doesn't fear much, certainly not something that It could easily manifest as. Adults fear situations more than literal monsters, which makes things tough for It. But I think you're right that what happens to the adults like Bowers or Bev's husband is something along the lines of hypnotism.

It refers to scaring children as "salting the meat", so eating an adult who is not afraid would be like eating a completely unseasoned hamburger with no bun or condiments whatsoever. And when you have a lifetime that spans eons, why settle?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

In terms of how It feeds, there's a character named Dandelo that shows up in the last volume of The Dark Tower that seems to be from the same race as Pennywise, but feeds on laughter instead of fear, literally sucking the life force out of a character as they choke to death while cackling. If I remember King played it cagey when asked if the two creatures were related, but it's very heavily implied, with Dandelo even taking on a clown-like visage near the end of its attack.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
For adults, IT manifests as a mortgage bill or a pregnancy test in your daughter's bathroom so its not quite as punchy.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There are empty raincoats with IT balloons on drat near every corner in downtown Toronto today.

https://twitter.com/bronektdw/status/902900078955945984

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
It's because It IS Derry. He crash landed millions of years ago and when people settled they were tainted by his powers. Everyone there is slowly being brainwashed or something to that effect- they're all hosed up in base ways that don't require active intervention from IT to take over/convince them to turn a blind eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The Berzerker posted:

There are empty raincoats with IT balloons on drat near every corner in downtown Toronto today.

https://twitter.com/bronektdw/status/902900078955945984

Amazing

• Locked thread