Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Tribal is the kind of thing that needs to either always be done or never be done. Doing it just sometimes is super weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Star Man posted:

Collect twenty treasure tokens for a surprise.

Mechanized Production :)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

LordAbaddon posted:

I still don't get why they got rid of it

Compulsive need to change the rules every year and confuse my casual playing friends.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Human Crouton posted:

Compulsive need to change the rules every year and confuse my casual playing friends.

poo poo, I play kitchen table Magic with someone that thinks Ezuri, Renegade Leader is useless because I had to get in a ten minute argument with him about how regeneration can't get around effects that sacrifice a creature. He insisted that the way he'd been playing it was the way it always was, except that it never was.

Just presume Magic players have reading skills worse than a preschooler.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I played a casual game with a guy who insisted that my tapped blockers didn't deal combat damage.

To be fair, that's how the rules worked...in 1996. This was in 2013.

Same guy also told me that he didn't think Skullclamp was a very good card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

poo poo, I play kitchen table Magic with someone that thinks Ezuri, Renegade Leader is useless because I had to get in a ten minute argument with him about how regeneration can't get around effects that sacrifice a creature. He insisted that the way he'd been playing it was the way it always was, except that it never was.

Just presume Magic players have reading skills worse than a preschooler.

When my friend was first teaching me the game in the mid-90s he insisted that if I didn't physically untap something during my untap phase, I missed out and it stayed tapped until my next turn.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheetah7071 posted:

Tribal is the kind of thing that needs to either always be done or never be done. Doing it just sometimes is super weird

The problem is that they hosed up implementing it and ended up with a confusing solution that players thought was dumb (It really freaked people's beans that Tribal is a type and not a supertype and they didn't really get why it need to be on the card at all) so they chickened out.

I still don't quite get what would have been so terrible and game-breaking about just saying "oh yeah, other card types can have creature sub-types now".

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The flavor text is always clunky no matter what, unless it's A Love Song of Night and Day or someone's last words.

This clunky flavor text means I get to use my m13 dragonskull summits, and remember that that art is actually metal as all hell.

And I get to use this metal as hell thing to cast pirates.

I just hope that with core sets coming back, they'll reprint the allied painlands soon, so I can break out my Foglio Sulfurous Springs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

When my friend was first teaching me the game in the mid-90s he insisted that if I didn't physically untap something during my untap phase, I missed out and it stayed tapped until my next turn.

Oh man. The folks I play with casually also tap their cards by turning them maybe ten degrees so it can be hard to tell if something is tapped or not. They also never use +1/+1 counters in the appropriate way and instead use spindowns and place them over the creature's printed P/T and add up what the whole thing would be. Then any buffs like anthem or lord buffs get added to that as well. It's usually not an issue, though sometimes I will get confused about where an increase in states are coming from when there's multiples of them. They also attach instant cards that are combat tricks to their creatures like auras and leave sorceries in play like Overrun and then you have to hope they remember to put them in their graveyards at the end of the turn.

The guy that also insisted regeneration can get around sacrifice also tried to tell me that the foreign signed Defense of the Heart he had was German. It was Portuguese. I can't read either language, but I know enough about either of them that they don't look like each other at all. I also learned that Rebecca Guay has a very uninspiring artist's signature.

Then we get people at the store I play at that have to ask the judge if a planeswalker is a creature so they can use their Magma Spray or Murder against it (which is probably influenced by Gideon becoming a creature for a turn) or try to use cards that can only deal damage to an opponent on a creature.

Seriously, it's always best to assume that your opponent in Magic is the dumbest loving human being on the planet and their ability to speak and read is a miracle in and of itself.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 30, 2017

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I played a casual game with a guy who insisted that my tapped blockers didn't deal combat damage.

To be fair, that's how the rules worked...in 1996. This was in 2013.

Same guy also told me that he didn't think Skullclamp was a very good card.

Uhh is it bad that until this post I thought you had to tap to block?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ybrik posted:

A creature has to be untapped to be able to block, and blocking does not tap it, and you can tap it for an ability or whatever after it's been declared as a blocker without affecting anything.

E.g. you can block with an Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs, then tap it for its ability before combat damage, and it still counts as blocking and combat damage will happen normally.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Entropic posted:

A creature has to be untapped to be able to block, and blocking does not tap it, and you can tap it for an ability or whatever after it's been declared as a blocker without affecting anything.

E.g. you can block with an Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs, then tap it for its ability before combat damage, and it still counts as blocking and combat damage will happen normally.

I knew both of those things i just always assumed that you had to tap them to show who's blocking or something. I'm dumb.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ybrik posted:

I knew both of those things i just always assumed that you had to tap them to show who's blocking or something. I'm dumb.

That would have made Royal Assassin even more OP back in the day.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Goons posted:

Casual Magic stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPDOgycPcus

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

EDH.mov

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

Oh man. The folks I play with casually also tap their cards by turning them maybe ten degrees so it can be hard to tell if something is tapped or not. They also never use +1/+1 counters in the appropriate way and instead use spindowns and place them over the creature's printed P/T and add up what the whole thing would be. Then any buffs like anthem or lord buffs get added to that as well. It's usually not an issue, though sometimes I will get confused about where an increase in states are coming from when there's multiples of them. They also attach instant cards that are combat tricks to their creatures like auras and leave sorceries in play like Overrun and then you have to hope they remember to put them in their graveyards at the end of the turn.

The guy that also insisted regeneration can get around sacrifice also tried to tell me that the foreign signed Defense of the Heart he had was German. It was Portuguese. I can't read either language, but I know enough about either of them that they don't look like each other at all. I also learned that Rebecca Guay has a very uninspiring artist's signature.

Then we get people at the store I play at that have to ask the judge if a planeswalker is a creature so they can use their Magma Spray or Murder against it (which is probably influenced by Gideon becoming a creature for a turn) or try to use cards that can only deal damage to an opponent on a creature.

Seriously, it's always best to assume that your opponent in Magic is the dumbest loving human being on the planet and their ability to speak and read is a miracle in and of itself.

I don't think my friend was dumb w/r/t Magic, just being a lovely kid trying to hustle a dumb kid.

Also your post reminded me that I need to buy a set of different-colored d6 for use as -1/-1 counters.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ybrik posted:

Honestly it's not a big deal unless you're playing multiplayer or Theros block limited.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

Entropic posted:

(It really freaked people's beans that Tribal is a type and not a supertype and they didn't really get why it need to be on the card at all) so they chickened out.

I still don't quite get what would have been so terrible and game-breaking about just saying "oh yeah, other card types can have creature sub-types now".

Yeah, Star Man's theory checks out.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I once played with a guy that defended to this degree that I was not allowed to tap his planeswalker, maybe enchantment, idk, with my ral zarek.

Basically this video hurts me physically and humans are self-entitled monsters.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/902852284660539392
Pillar of Genesis 2
Artifact
As Pillar of Genesis enters the battlefield, choose a creature type. (T):Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 30, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is this the first time in the mythic era we've had a 2 drop mana rock?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There was Corrupted Grafstone.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jabor posted:

There was Corrupted Grafstone.

That's almost as restrictive as springleaf drum i'd say.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mehall posted:

That's almost as restrictive as springleaf drum i'd say.

(Specific) creature only acceleration doesn't seem incredible to me either, outside some particular context.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Procrastinator posted:

I once played with a guy that defended to this degree that I was not allowed to tap his planeswalker, maybe enchantment, idk, with my ral zarek.

Basically this video hurts me physically and humans are self-entitled monsters.

What is he even defending? The video quality is so bad.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Card Name 5W
Creature - Dinosaur
Enrage - Whenever ~ is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
3/5

Twilight Legion Battleship 5
Artifact - Vehicle
Vigilance
Crew 2
4/6

Tainen fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 30, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The size of the butts on these cards is a bit disconcerting

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Enrage is my favorite new mechanic. I can't wait to abuse something with Walking Ballista.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Ballista + White Dinosaur seems broken right?

Tainen fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 30, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If the Dino says other you'll get 6 triggers so not particularly

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Twilight Legion Battleship is an incredibly cool name for such a boring card

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

With two Walking Ballistas out, you can deal infinite damage to someone if you can make the dino indestructible.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I'm thinking even just playing the dinosaur and immediately turning it into 5 +1/+1 counters for your whole team is pretty crazy.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I was really hoping the dinosaurs would be pushed to be quite powerful. I just wanted some eternal playable dinos.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

Twilight Legion Battleship is an incredibly cool name for such a boring card

magic players: vehicles are cool but we dislike how some of the vehicles are so blatantly pushed, both for limited and constructed

wotc, listening and thinking really hard: our customers had a positive reaction to bad vehicles, so we should make more of them

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Tainen posted:

Not broken, but still pretty sweet

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

With two Walking Ballistas out, you can deal infinite damage to someone if you can make the dino indestructible.

Giving a bystander +4/+4 for no mana isn't tiny either, though that requires three creatures, one of which you are going to bring to the brink of death yourself.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
The cool thing is that it doesn't have to be done all in one turn.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Obviously with these big butts, we're getting lightning bolt back... Right?

:smithicide:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

Obviously with these big butts, we're getting lightning bolt back... Right?

:smithicide:

They're giving us a 4 damage to a creature or player instant for 4R in this set, that's just as good! (Flame Lash is still Standard legal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aranan posted:

I was really hoping the dinosaurs would be pushed to be quite powerful. I just wanted some eternal playable dinos.

I don't think there's a creature that costs more than 3 and isn't an artifact, colorless, or intended to be cheated out that is playable in Vintage or Legacy. Modern is less restrictive, but it's still difficult. Your best bet is some sort of 4 mana guy on par with borderline playable siege rhino.