Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Every missile launched at North Korea is at least a +1 to ratings, right?

....right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

Sweet Jesus, Houston is STILL UNDERWATER AND HE'S TWEETING ABOUT NORTH loving KOREA?

Hey, he went to (the vague vacinity of) the flooding (for a photo op) , what more do you want?

Edit:

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 30, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Brine posted:

I have mainly lurked this thread, but I can contribute something to grandpa-chat. My grandfather flew for Germany. He died before I was born, but according to my mom he was conscripted after Austria was annexed and flew cargo planes for a bit until getting shot down over Russia fairly early in the war and spending the rest of the war in a prison camp.

This might be family revisionist history, but my mother always said he hated Hitler because of the whole Austrian invasion and wasn't really given a choice about serving. Even so, I think I might just leave out this bit of history if my daughters ever ask about anyone in our family serving in WW2 since it's something I feel vaguely ashamed about.

Don't cover up the story of your grandfather serving in the German army. I mean, it's probably bullshit that he didn't like Hitler so you can leave that part out if that's what you mean (there were amazingly few Nazis in Germany in 1946). But never cover up the fact that he served, because it is important to remember that being a Nazi can happen to ordinary people. Burying it out of shame just makes people falsely confident that it could never happen again.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
On gradpa was a Captain then Major who was Eisenhower's secretary (small s) basically. Got to witness a lot on the European theater side. The other grandpa spent time in Japan because he was Korean.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can see the BUH BUH BUH Lend Lease revisionism brigade is already out in force.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
One grandpa was sent up to Brisbane and served administratively. Was about to be deployed when the war ended.

The other grandpa was in the merchant marines and his rear end ended up sunk. He lived, but came home with a brain injury. The family doesn't go into the details.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My grandpa was in the Pacific in WWII. A few years ago we found the journal he kept during the war (apparently someone in the army wanted his unit to write down their experiences, so he had to keep it), and it was kind of an amazing and horrifying read.

The last sentence is "That's all, and to hell with the Army."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Inferior Third Season posted:

How can Hitler be your great-grandfather when he didn't have any children? :thunk:

my absolute favorite fact is that the whole hitler family decided to let the hitler name die out in a loose pact of people just naturally not having kids and people intentionally deciding to end the family name. It is the absolute most hilarious thing, because it's like, the hitler family didn't actually reject eugenics to the end, they just went with some misguided and sweet "but it turns out the bad genes were ours all along".

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
My grandpa was on a destroyer which sank with 3/4 of its crew after getting hit by a kamikaze, then after escaping he got transferred to an aircraft carrier which entered Tokyo Bay 4 days after the surrender. I never knew much more than that - to me he was a cheerful guy who drove a gas truck and worked on his vegetable garden, and I don't think he liked to talk about it. The point was made at his funeral when a couple soldiers showed up to drape a flag on the coffin and play Taps though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

My grandfather fought in WWI, actually, for the Canadians. The other one was younger but had flat feet so he ran the civil defense around Monroe, MI instead.

ETA: Also had an uncle who was at Anzio.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 30, 2017

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

My great Grandpa drove a tank and took home a couple of ceremonial Nazi daggers after the war. They are still on display in my Grandma's China cabinet.

She said he never talked much about the war. He passed away when I was 3 so I never got the chance to ask.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

my absolute favorite fact is that the whole hitler family decided to let the hitler name die out in a loose pact of people just naturally not having kids and people intentionally deciding to end the family name. It is the absolute most hilarious thing, because it's like, the hitler family didn't actually reject eugenics to the end, they just went with some misguided and sweet "but it turns out the bad genes were ours all along".

I recall reading that someone in the line was surprised to hear that and said he just hadn't found the right woman or something like that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My Grandfather was up the beaches on D-Day... and got shot in the head, luckily my family has thick skulls so the bullet bounced off after drilling through his helmet and he lived. He went on to build bridges while being shot and and killed at least 10 people, because he took a sidearm from each person he knew he had killed and kept it as a reminder of the terrors of war.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dejawesp posted:

I recall reading that someone in the line was surprised to hear that and said he just hadn't found the reich woman or something like that.

ftfy

The first incel.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Eh how many of y'all had a grandparent involved in WW2?
My paternal grandpa served in the merchant marines and went around the world three times on four ships. According to one story, a Maori-crewed captured Japanese ship accidentally sank one of the vessels he was working on.

My maternal grandpa served in Patton's Third Army and helped liberate KZ Ebensee, which he took photos of but never told anyone about while he was alive. We've since found them and donated them to a museum.

My maternal grandma served as a navy nurse onboard a ship, then came back to the states and tried to be a model postwar housewife for two decades before hanging herself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My grandfather didn't get sent to Japan til after the bombs dropped and my father was on an aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean during Vietnam. I like to imagine my family going back thousands of years always served in the military but never in the actual war.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So what's the general perception of Donald Trump's handling of this hurricane so far?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Covok posted:

So what's the general perception of Donald Trump's handling of this hurricane so far?

Better than "Heck of a job" but worse than "standing in a puddle. Give me a break"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My grandfather was a Italian-American prisoner of war for much of the war, he got captured early on. Like, within a few months of America joining the war.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Covok posted:

So far the general perception is that he has handled it a lot better than Obama handled Katrina.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dejawesp posted:

So far the general perception is that he has handled it a lot better than Obama handled Katrina.

I really hate how loving stupid conservatives are.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I never knew my grandad on my mother's side; he had served in the Navy, had been in WWII and died before I was born of smoking related lung cancer. I knew that he'd lost a thumb to a ship door slamming on it, that he was good to his family and that he spoke with a soft Scottish accent. My mother hardly ever talks about him as she lost both her sister and him in the same month and it upsets her too much. My other grandfather, the one on my father's side, served in the army and died when I must've been about 5 or 6. He'd taken a bullet through the neck in Italy during some nightmarish uphill conflict, again during WWII. He rarely spoke about the war to my grandmother or anyone else. According to her, it took her most of their time together to uncover what happened to him the day he took a bullet in the neck, with some extremely grisly details about blacking out and regaining consciousness multiple times as he dragged his way onto a stretcher. I didn't know him that well save for that he seemed like a very frail old man who had to use an electric razor so his shaking hands wouldn't cut his face up (he'd developed Parkinsons at this point), that he was fond of smoking pipes and that I can remember him having a blue pill with his cereal every morning. He was also really dashing back in the day if the photo on my grandma's mantlepiece is anything to go by.

Both my grandads seemed very representative of the British stiff upper lip but were clearly both horribly affected by the war. I'm fortunate enough to still chill with my grandma once a month or so and never ceases to amaze me how she's still amazingly with it considering she's 95. She occasionally tells me stories about the war, Pops, my dad and my uncles and aunts and I make jokes about her taking up karate or something childish because she's basically always been a big kid like me and likes to wind up the other members of the nursing home when they're moaning about being old. When it's a good story about Pops - like when she talks about how they met - she smiles a lot.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Covok posted:

It's not even over yet. There's not much for the Feds or Donnie to do at this point.

The cleanup and recovery is what matters. It will be probably a month or so before we can judge how that's going.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dejawesp posted:

Obama did nothing while the levies failed.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Covok posted:

My grandfather was a Italian-American prisoner of war for much of the war, he got captured early on. Like, within a few months of America joining the war.

Whoa. Was his name Rosario?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

Granddad chat: one of my grandfathers was too old, but the other served on a minesweeper in the Pacific. My great-grandfather was a German WWI vet who emigrated to the US after the first war, told the Nazis to gently caress off when they tried to recruit him back, and built Liberty ships during WWII (along with his daughter, my grandmother).

This is cool; because if you and your family had been Japanese, they'd be have been living in a concentration camp.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/902885560552960000
This may be the most honest statement I've ever seen from Trump, he honestly cannot even conceptualize why anyone doesn't love him like he does.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Covok posted:

Doesn't really feel like there's that strong a narrative about his specific handling of the hurricane. Some grousing about his visit yesterday being the transparent photo op that it was, but FEMA's handling of the situation doesn't appear to be terrible thus far either. Not heroic, obviously, we've still got a city underwater and tons of people displaced or worse, but there's no reports of any egregious cock-ups - which is honestly for the best, of course. In general the media narrative seems to be coalescing around average people and their struggles or triumphs moreso than a broader political angle.

I'd say it's a push right now in terms of poll numbers.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ZobarStyl posted:

This may be the most honest statement I've ever seen from Trump, he honestly cannot even conceptualize why anyone doesn't love him like he does.
I know he's old and fat and unhealthy, but it's a bit macabre that he's reading magazines about dying.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

One of my grandfathers was in both European and Pacific theaters and the Korean war. He was an aircraft mechanic so he played a role in bombing many things.

Really though sounds like a lot of us have boomer parents. My old man's a union guy and retired miner so he's cool except for the occasional racism.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dejawesp posted:

I recall reading that someone in the line was surprised to hear that and said he just hadn't found the right woman or something like that.

multiple people in the hitler family, not everyone did it as some intentional pact, some were just incels or whatever, and some decided "eh, no more hitlers"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ZobarStyl posted:

WHY DOES THIS MAGAZINE I BERATE HATE ME SO MUCH!?!?!?!?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I had three grandparents serve in the Great Patriotic War and remember Willennium so that's my age.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Koalas March posted:

Whoa. Was his name Rosario?

I don't get the reference, he was a Guerrero.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Doesn't really feel like there's that strong a narrative about his specific handling of the hurricane. Some grousing about his visit yesterday being the transparent photo op that it was, but FEMA's handling of the situation doesn't appear to be terrible thus far either. Not heroic, obviously, we've still got a city underwater and tons of people displaced or worse, but there's no reports of any egregious cock-ups - which is honestly for the best, of course. In general the media narrative seems to be coalescing around average people and their struggles or triumphs moreso than a broader political angle.

I'd say it's a push right now in terms of poll numbers.

So you mean a push up?

Inferior Third Season posted:

I know he's old and fat and unhealthy, but it's a bit macabre that he's reading magazines about dying.

I mean, he's in a physical shape where he should have been considering hospice care, so it's not shocking.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My grandfather volunteered early in the war and flew B-17s over Africa and Europe. He somehow survived two full tours of duty while seeing planes around him getting shot down and didn't even get seriously injured at all. Post war he did some work with the Test Pilots group which eventually spawned NASA. I guess he met with Werner Von Braun a few times according to what he told me. After that he flew as a commercial airline pilot for Eastern Airlines until that company went out of business.

Also had a great uncle on my father's side who flew with the RAF during the war but was killed when his bomber got shot down

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My WWII grandfather died when I was 6, but I'm told his unit or whatever were the first allies inside one of the concentration camps and he was never quite the same after he came back.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pence is the guy actually handling it so I don't really know.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

[quote="Covok" post=""475896866"]
So you mean a push up?
[/quote]

I mean a push as in no meaningful change either way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ZobarStyl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTcHpPDCu8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Looking forward to busting that out in 2024

• Locked thread