Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

10 Beers posted:

and Princess Bride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Barry Lyndon my man, but it comes with three and a half hours of non fencing related cinematic bliss.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Alatriste with Viggo Mortensen. Some of the personal duels are a bit fanciful but the warfare scenes are Saving Private Ryan level brutal/realistic (inasmuch as I can imagine of course).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395119/

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the 13th Warrior will own forever

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut only!) has some pretty good sword fights. The DC has a duel at the end that is particularly good. Also Ironclad- it's a bit cheesy but not bad. Worth it for James Purefoy wielding a zweihander.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Last Samurai is terrible.
- Hidden Fortress
- Samjuro
- Yojimbo
- Seven Samurai
- After the rain
-When the Last Sword Is Drawn
- Gohatto

Edit:
Hidden Blade

There's a couple more that I can't remember right now.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 28, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DandyLion posted:

Alatriste with Viggo Mortensen. Some of the personal duels are a bit fanciful but the warfare scenes are Saving Private Ryan level brutal/realistic (inasmuch as I can imagine of course).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395119/
it is not, the dudes are way too loving close together. It's supposed to be double-arms' length minimum so the musketeers can get between you.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HEY GAIL posted:

it is not, the dudes are way too loving close together. It's supposed to be double-arms' length minimum so the musketeers can get between you.

Are you talking about that last scene at the end? It didn't seem like they even had many (if any musketeers) in their little phalanx to warrant that gapping (also considering the force assaulting them). Question is out of pure curiosity, as I'll defer to your practical knowledge in this matter since you drill historic with pike formations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DandyLion posted:

Are you talking about that last scene at the end? It didn't seem like they even had many (if any musketeers) in their little phalanx to warrant that gapping (also considering the force assaulting them). Question is out of pure curiosity, as I'll defer to your practical knowledge in this matter since you drill historic with pike formations.
well pikemen with no muskets would just...i dunno what we'd do, stand there and get shot at without fighting back i assume.

but there is a tiny shot in that last battle scene where you see musketeers almost offscreen and the dudes playing the musketeers are legitimately struggling past the pikemen to get up to the front of the firing line. it's a very interesting thing to watch since the person who directed the shot obviously know what the musketeers are supposed to do (walk between the rows of pikemen and come up to fire) , they're just not sure how it works, which makes sense since the pikemen are too goddamn close together.

it's a legitimately difficult thing to get right, and it requires you to have one corporal for you and one corporal for the musketeers; the two bodies of infantry are being directed simultaneously.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Which is to say, people at the School of the Sword translated Alfieri's 1638 flag waving manual: http://sword.school/articles/la-bandiera/

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I really liked Alatriste. I'll probably watch it again soonish. It's a film I keep watching a chunk of and then having to do something else.

Kingdom of Heaven has a fight in the middle which I remember being quite odd. There's a couple of knights attacking the main character and he kills one with a rock.

The Duelists is already recommended.

People really like Rob Roy's fighting. I really don't, maybe it's because it makes out the broadsword to be a brutish weapon with little skill behind it. Or at least, that's the sense I got from the final fight scene I saw.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

People really like Rob Roy's fighting. I really don't, maybe it's because it makes out the broadsword to be a brutish weapon with little skill behind it. Or at least, that's the sense I got from the final fight scene I saw.
that's not the point, the point is to show the main character's debasement and exhaustion and eli roth's character's self-satisfaction. it's all in aid of moving the plot forward.

roth was fantastic in that show btw

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HEY GAIL posted:

well pikemen with no muskets would just...i dunno what we'd do, stand there and get shot at without fighting back i assume.

but there is a tiny shot in that last battle scene where you see musketeers almost offscreen and the dudes playing the musketeers are legitimately struggling past the pikemen to get up to the front of the firing line. it's a very interesting thing to watch since the person who directed the shot obviously know what the musketeers are supposed to do (walk between the rows of pikemen and come up to fire) , they're just not sure how it works, which makes sense since the pikemen are too goddamn close together.

it's a legitimately difficult thing to get right, and it requires you to have one corporal for you and one corporal for the musketeers; the two bodies of infantry are being directed simultaneously.

Fantastic, I had no idea! Very grateful for the insight.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

that's not the point, the point is to show the main character's debasement and exhaustion and eli roth's character's self-satisfaction. it's all in aid of moving the plot forward.

roth was fantastic in that show btw

Everything about that fight makes perfect sense not necessarily in a "here's how you'd fight with this weapon" way but in the sense of "this is exactly what you'd expect this character to do based on the previous two hours of the movie." The ending is dumb if you just watch the scene and you're all "why would he make such a dumb mistake" but if you watched the entire movie you know exactly why.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The best part of The Last Samurai are the costumes and set designs. The movie itself is fine but it suffers from having Tom Cruise as the lead, and also the fights are bad.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DandyLion posted:

Fantastic, I had no idea! Very grateful for the insight.
Thank you! Yeah, it's a complicated process, and you have to be constantly watching/listening for your own corporal, looking out for the musketeers and not obeying the commands given to them, etc. It's two systems that ideally mesh with each other and work together to attack and defend as a whole.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So, after a couple of training sessions of Bolognese I find it really interesting. Can't wait to get to do freeplay at some point. It's nice that the beginners course has about 20 participants so it isn't just a couple of people. Also, it was nice to note that the sword I bought for re-enactment is appropriate for training Bolognese, but I won't take it to actual matches as I don't want to totally destroy the blade.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

So, after a couple of training sessions of Bolognese I find it really interesting. Can't wait to get to do freeplay at some point. It's nice that the beginners course has about 20 participants so it isn't just a couple of people. Also, it was nice to note that the sword I bought for re-enactment is appropriate for training Bolognese, but I won't take it to actual matches as I don't want to totally destroy the blade.
you...don't want to put wear on...a reenactment sword?

brother, the wear is what makes it look more realistic, plus if the metal is strong and springy it should be fine

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

you...don't want to put wear on...a reenactment sword?

brother, the wear is what makes it look more realistic, plus if the metal is strong and springy it should be fine

I do, I just don't want it ending up looking like it was used in fencing practice by Wily E Coyote. Also, it doesn't have the finger-guarding loop (ricosso or something) that a Bolognese sword should, so I won't match with it as I don't want to shatter my fingers. With a slightly stiff leather glove it just feels so very right to the hand, compared to a plastic/rubber trainer I used in the first session.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the 13th Warrior will own forever

I'm ashamed that I forgot this and I'm watching it right now!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Is anyone familiar with Guy Windsor? Is he legit, or is he the Ashida Kim of European sword arts?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Is anyone familiar with Guy Windsor? Is he legit, or is he the Ashida Kim of European sword arts?

Speaking with Jess Finley now and she says he's great. Good guy, fantastic instructor.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
smh if you're not on his email mailing list

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm biased because I started out at his school, but A+ instructor and author, would recommend.

Can't sabre a bottle of champagne, tho.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay which one of you is the guy wearing baseball leg guards and no loving shoes? :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqeXLZgHdio

(I like Marsden's counterattacks. :shobon:)

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've never tried sabring champagne. But then again, buying a bunch of bottles of crappy bubbly is cheap, and it would be a really great party trick to know... I'm guessing a sport sabre doesn't have enough mass to cut a bottle open, though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can do it with a butter knife so you should be able to do it with the strong of your sabre as well. The trick is, the bottle is under pressure so if you hit just the right spot, the top of the neck shears itself clean off.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Any opinions on how good this : https://www.amazon.de/Polish-Saber-Richard-Marsden/dp/0984771654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504260608&sr=8-1&keywords=polish+saber is about its subject?
To my understanding Marsden is a not a fraud when writing about swords.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Taught 3 hours of classes last night and my throat really hurts today.

Good stuff though. Invited the newbs to join in on the intermediate class since it was so small.

Beginners class focused on stepping and cutting, namely making them two distinct motions. Step, then cut. Did oberhau and zwerchau with this. Did a drill where they would step towards a person in a mask, gauge distance, then strike softly at the head. Really tried to make them focus on technique and smooth movement rather than speed or power.

Intermediate class focused on flow drills and guard transitions. Started with a basic flow drill (I call it the ribbon drill since you make a cancer ribbon shape in the air with your sword) where you unterhau from your right, step, oberhau from your right, unterhau from your left, step, oberhau from your left, and repeat. The sword should transition smoothly to the appropriate transitional guard positions between cuts. So you start in shrankhut, then by cutting unterhau you end up in ochs, which transitions into vom tag (on the right), which when cutting oberhau transitions into pflug (on the left), which you then turn into shrankhut on the opposite side from where you started.

Then I spoke a bit about how using your hips to power the sword is important, [A] to keep your arms from getting tired, [B] to keep flow nice and smooth, and [C] to keep your sword moving at the appropriate speed. We did a little workshop of stepping with the hips by forcefully pushing your back hip forward and letting your back foot be pulled forward.

Then I had them work on those same transitional guards in a more direct way by thrusting from either pflug or ochs from either side, having them go back and forth across the hall by choosing a guard, closing the line with good form and structure, and then stepping into the thrust. Separated pflug and ochs at first, but then had them mix and match, see what transitions felt awkward on what footing.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Ataxerxes posted:

Any opinions on how good this : https://www.amazon.de/Polish-Saber-Richard-Marsden/dp/0984771654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504260608&sr=8-1&keywords=polish+saber is about its subject?
To my understanding Marsden is a not a fraud when writing about swords.

I don't do polish saber but Marsden is well regarded and a good guy.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Siivola posted:

You can do it with a butter knife so you should be able to do it with the strong of your sabre as well. The trick is, the bottle is under pressure so if you hit just the right spot, the top of the neck shears itself clean off.

I did it with a spoon once.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

smh if you're not on his email mailing list
Humorously enough, I am on that list. I'd just never really heard of him before.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

I don't do polish saber but Marsden is well regarded and a good guy.

I've heard mixed things about him and didn't find the video of him fighting on Skallagrim's channel that impressive. That could have just been because it's on video, watching fights live is always better than on video.

I met a Jerzy at Fightcamp who does Polish sabre and taught a class on it, which I couldn't attend. You can see him fight on Matt Easton's channel. He swings the sword around like a whirling shield of steel, but it used to be more aggressive.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

Video of people fencing with exposed skin in the target area
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
people who are worried about exposed skin for anything more than liability reasons are little bitches. my class does full speed rapier and people often just wear a t shirt. take your bruises like men

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
speaking of that vid i wish people making montages of their class wouldnt put in their students fighting with terrible technique, because nothing reflects worse on your credibility as a teacher than looking at one of your students not retreating from an attack or failing to correctly react to a beat and being like "yep this looks good to put online"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

your friend a dog posted:

people who are worried about exposed skin for anything more than liability reasons are little bitches. my class does full speed rapier and people often just wear a t shirt. take your bruises like men

What if some of the fencers are women?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

10 Beers posted:

What if some of the fencers are women?

just wear a chest protector? what does that have to do with anything? dont recall seeing anyone with their tits hanging out in that video

e: oh i see :grin:

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

your friend a dog fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

your friend a dog posted:

Yeah, why should I have to wear a plastron? It makes me sweaty!

*Literally dies during open bouting*