Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I think I want to see this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If they were to make a live action OPM, it'd be criminal if serious Saitama and regular Saitama weren't played by two different people. Karl Pilkington for normal would do, The Rock for serious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

But both voiced by Karl.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Kanye West was cast this morning to play "Saitama", the japanese superhero who can punch very hard

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Captain Quack posted:

Yes, it's him!

The next greatest hero!
I hope he is not not skipping a day.

I shouldn't be surprised at the attention to detail, but :allears:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Impressions matter. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if there are people who've never heard of the original version and think this whole series is 100% serious. (these are also the same people who think Dragonaball Z is 100% serious)

I've never really thought DBZ was entirely serious, but I'm watching through the original DB for the first time in a while, and I forgot just how much of a gag show it was. It's almost stupid.

But yeah, despite Murata's art, it's usually pretty easy to tell that this is a comedy manga, even if it wasn't sold to me that way when I was first told about it by a friend.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dragon Ball is much better than Dragon Ball Z.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One Punch is undeniably a comedy but that doesn't mean there can't also be some level of intrigue and compelling drama going on.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Al Borland Corp. posted:

One Punch is undeniably a comedy but that doesn't mean there can't also be some level of intrigue and compelling drama going on.

Yeah but its inter-character drama
not bullshit fake power level nerd drama

The story is less about saitama (especially the murata version) and more about how the world reacts to him and his actions.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The characters with intrigue and "compelling drama" are the characters that also get flatly ignored or otherwise completely dunked on by Saitama. His powers coming from anything more than him wanting it and working for it make him pretty much exactly the same as every hero but King, who is a separate joke entirely.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Not really a spoiler, but with this past arc being a redraw original, it's worth noting that the monster cells thing is also original content.

Not sure if that's gonna be the setup for another joke or what

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If they were to make a live action OPM, it'd be criminal if serious Saitama and regular Saitama weren't played by two different people. Karl Pilkington for normal would do, The Rock for serious.

You wouldn't need two actors. Flattering and unflattering camera angles and lighting would accomplish just as much.

Two different suits might be good, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Schwarzwald posted:

You wouldn't need two actors. Flattering and unflattering camera angles and lighting would accomplish just as much.

Show me a flattering picture of Karl Pilkington, or an unflattering picture of The Rock.

e: I'm actually going to say that Vin Diesel, as pictured above, could probably pull this off decently well by himself, but it wouldn't be as funny has having 2 separate actors. Having The Rock in a movie for less than, like, 5 minutes for a single, drawn-out punch sounds pretty funny to me.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

you get two actors and you outright refuse to acknowledge it being a thing

you don't get two because you'd need two

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wow the suit quality really went down between ASM and Civil War

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

thats the tobey maguire suit

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

edit: fixed

Captain Quack fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 30, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have no idea how I'm meant to read this. The last panel suggests right-to-left, but it's answering the panel to its left, so it should be left-to-right. So weird.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lol

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Adam West was clearly the strongest Batman anyways.

I typed "is" in that sentence at first and then had to correct myself. :smith:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SpacePig posted:

Show me a flattering picture of Karl Pilkington, or an unflattering picture of The Rock.

Both of those people have a lot vested in their image, so flattering pictures of Pilkington and unflattering pictures of the Rock are understandably hard to find.

But that's not to say that such images couldn't be made. Consider Captain Quack's great image:

What's the physical difference between Adam West and Ben Affleck? Affleck is two inches taller and twelve pounds heavier.
And Christian Bale?

Two inches shorter than West, a full twenty pounds lighter.

West is directly between the other two actors in height (but closer to Affleck in weight) but he still looks the least threatening, the most goofy, of the three. This is partly because his suit is less flattering, but also because his appearances were lit and shot like a campy 60's show for a young audience, while Bale and Affleck's movies were shot like blockbuster films.

The way you light and frame an image can make an average man look puny or athletic, and can make an athletic man look scrawny or super buff.

Which is exactly the way Murata handles Saitama in the comics. His proportions don't change, merely the amount of detail shown.

The difference between the left and the right:

is (illustrative) lighting and camera.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SpacePig posted:

I've never really thought DBZ was entirely serious, but I'm watching through the original DB for the first time in a while, and I forgot just how much of a gag show it was. It's almost stupid.

But yeah, despite Murata's art, it's usually pretty easy to tell that this is a comedy manga, even if it wasn't sold to me that way when I was first told about it by a friend.
the turn from goofy Red Ribbon Army times and Goku seeing his grandpa again to Tien beating the poo poo out of this child and Krillin being literally murdered is fuckin wild

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

woah two spidermans?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Schwarzwald posted:

Which is exactly the way Murata handles Saitama in the comics. His proportions don't change, merely the amount of detail shown.

The difference between the left and the right:

is (illustrative) lighting and camera.

:crossarms: Um, they have different proportions. Look at the shape of the head.

Also, both Batfleck and Bale are ripped as gently caress while Adam West is just kinda normal to shlubby. Bryan Cranston wouldn't look threatening in skin tight spandax no matter how you filmed him. Good lighting can only do so much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

And More posted:

Also, both Batfleck and Bale are ripped as gently caress while Adam West is just kinda normal to shlubby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

:shrug: Like, he looks okay, I guess. Those are some nicely positioned pants.

Here is the most unflattering image I could find of the Rock:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I don't think The Rock could look goofy enough to play One Saitama, and I don't think all of the lighting and costuming in the world could make Karl look like Murata Saitama. Schwarzwald's 1 man 2 costume idea would need someone who could do both, and I do actually think Vin Diesel could pull it off with lighting and costume tricks. He's not quite The Rock buff, but he's pretty built, and putting him in a slightly baggy costume (like Schwarzwald's Adam West example) could work pretty well.

All of that being said, I hope they never even think about doing a US live action adaptation of OPM, because they will almost certainly get it incredibly wrong.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would want it directed by David Wain

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

And More posted:

Here is the most unflattering image I could find of the Rock:

Well, no poo poo? The man who makes his living from marketing his image doesn't have many unflattering images.

SpacePig posted:

All of that being said, I hope they never even think about doing a US live action adaptation of OPM, because they will almost certainly get it incredibly wrong.

No one wants this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I would want it directed by David Wain

I think Edgar Wright could also do something with it, but it probably still wouldn't be good, and would be full of licensed music.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There already is live action One Punch Man, it's just contained within the new Twin Peaks season for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wCAczP5Qng

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Saitama is always ripped

Even when he is in serious mode he just looks a bit different he doesn't gain a foot in height and double in width. Also the Rock and Vin Diesel are just awful actors and this is how we get Netflix Death Note.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has OPM been out long enough that a deranged fan could actually have tried Saitama's training regimen for three years? Has anyone documented this?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Two people tried it but one skipped a day and the other used a heater for two days over christmas

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I forgot about not using the heater

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

Also the Rock and Vin Diesel are just awful actors and this is how we get Netflix Death Note.
If you haven't seen Boiler Room you should give it a shot, Vin Diesel was actually a better actor at some point and just did schlock so much I think it fried his brain.

I don't even think the actor would be an issue for OPM so much as I think the director and studio wouldn't get it. It really relies on timing and tone to a level that modern editing would just butcher. To the point where I'd rather they go whole hog and cast someone terrible then have it directed by michael bay so there's no doubts and no pretending.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Even when he is in serious mode he just looks a bit different he doesn't gain a foot in height and double in width. Also the Rock and Vin Diesel are just awful actors and this is how we get Netflix Death Note.

I'd argue that the Rock is actually pretty good, though I agree he wouldn't be a good fit for OPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I'd argue that the Rock is actually pretty good, though I agree he wouldn't be a good fit for OPM.

He has a very narrow range that is basically just "The Rock" and that's it.

Spiderdrake posted:

If you haven't seen Boiler Room you should give it a shot, Vin Diesel was actually a better actor at some point and just did schlock so much I think it fried his brain.

I don't even think the actor would be an issue for OPM so much as I think the director and studio wouldn't get it. It really relies on timing and tone to a level that modern editing would just butcher. To the point where I'd rather they go whole hog and cast someone terrible then have it directed by michael bay so there's no doubts and no pretending.

Yeah I've seen it and agree he's good in it. I just don't think any form of Saitama fits a classic Western muscly action star.