Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

yeah, YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love DSA Anchorage.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

apropos to nothing posted:

I really don't understand all the hate for democratic centralism. I see it all the time in this thread and when I meet DSA people irl they treat it like some weird boogie man. Democratic centralism is literally just democracy. We all vote on something, make a decision based on that vote, and then do the thing we voted on. if you disagree with the decision, you still have to abide by it but can continue to voice your displeasure and attempt to reverse the decision at another vote. The reason its a big deal that people abide by the decision even if they disagree is because if you're actively engaging in disruptive activity like civil disobedience, you need to have a group that you know won't have someone go against the decision of the group by punching a cop or throwing a brick through a window and potentially risk getting all of you arrested. It also means you can have faith that your comrades in other areas are operating in about the same fashion so there's no worry that an individual or a whole branch in somewhere like, oh who knows let's just say Austin Texas, is making your org look bad by doing stuff that the rest of the org would never do and finds reprehensible. like it's fine if you dont like the idea of democratic centralism, nobody is forcing you to use it or like it, but its not This One Weird Trick to Summon the Ghost of Stalin.

I don't think centralization is bad as much as I think coastal petit bougiouse are bad regardless of how much class conciouseness they may or may not have

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

Have you considered that if you don't like the idea of rewriting the rules to purge the same person over and over you hate black people???

you're posting is malfeasant

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

It's not a matter of faith, though, as the party members don't have a choice to act differently. To have faith in someone requires that you trust the person, so requiring party members to abide by decisions betrays a lack of it. And it's a recipe for a system in which no one trusts anybody else, which is also the general strategy of totalitarian systems.

That's the first problem. It's fine if a party votes a certain way and that's the platform, but the second problem is that requiring party members to abide by decisions doesn't bother with the question of what they're asking to abide by.

Trust is built through discussion and mutual goals and understanding. I don't have faith in other branches falling in line because they're forced to by some arbitrary system, I have faith in them acting in unison because I've talked to the leadership and talked to other local members and know we share the same values and tactics. after the violence in Charlottesville for example our community was faced with a potbetial visit by Richard spencer. we immediately began working towards building a community defense coalition with other left and even liberal groups locally. after we started this process we had a conference call with national and regional leadership where we discussed our national strategy going forward and we and other branches which had been forced to act quickly owing to local challenges had all been acting in the same way without having communicated prior to and with thousand of miles between us. our national decisions then came about because of the consensus our regional branches had found worked best with on the ground conditions, not some enforced directive from leadership arbitrarily deciding whatever they wanted.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

love too watch anarchists grapple with the concept of democracy

extremely my poo poo

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

TrilliontonNixon posted:

You know what this person is actually right on the money. We are pants shittingly incompetent. I mean christ if this has got us at each other's throats what gently caress are we gonna do when a real crisis hits?

Marx and Bakunin couldn't keep the IWA together and I guess we're doomed to repeat their fate forever.

I know this is late, but as a counterpoint, no one gets good at dealing with problems except by dealing with problems. So think about this less as an indication of a fundamental weakness and more as a learning experience. If we learn from this and make the needed changes, we might be better able to deal with something bigger.

For all that I am Mad Online about this, the idea of quitting never crossed my mind. I am just not looking forward to 2+ years of explaining this horseshit away to other actual leftists. It's a black eye but it doesn't actually prevent anyone on the ground from getting things done.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

YDSA should have all the votes. Dictatorship of the Teen. Also anyone that was in DSA before like, February needs to be purged pronto.

Agreed. Expel anyone older than... let's say 35.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's better that the DSA has a crisis like this now, with both procedural failures and failures in leadership, than later when you're already too big to go back and correct these sorts of institutional problems.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's better that the DSA has a crisis like this now, with both procedural failures and failures in leadership, than later when you're already too big to go back and correct these sorts of institutional problems.

agreed. Next convention should see hella bylaw changes

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/DSAAccntability/status/902756947111411712

okay

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Can't believe these Twitter trolls hate the process so much they're using the DSA constitution's rules for calling a special convention.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Centralism seems a great way to cause splits. Right now you can just ignore national for the most part if you don't like what's going on, but under centralism that's not possible. I mean poo poo imagine if this whole debacle had happened in a centralist org.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Centralism seems a great way to cause splits. Right now you can just ignore national for the most part if you don't like what's going on, but under centralism that's not possible. I mean poo poo imagine if this whole debacle had happened in a centralist org.

Well, we could ignore the national in this case under centralism because the national isn't actually asking us to do anything as a result of this decision.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GunnerJ posted:

Agreed. Expel anyone older than... let's say 35.

Wait, can we make it 47? Oh crap, birthday next week... can we make it 48? Or how about, just "anyone Danny's age or older"?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TrilliontonNixon posted:

It'd split.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lumpy posted:

Wait, can we make it 47? Oh crap, birthday next week... can we make it 48? Or how about, just "anyone Danny's age or older"?

anybody who remembers the 90s deserves to die, imo

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also centralism is antithetical to a big tent org. "We welcome anyone! But actually here's the party line and if you go against it then :getout:"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Also centralism is antithetical to a big tent org. "We welcome anyone! But actually here's the party line and if you go against it then :getout:"

yeah the DSA was formed inherently not centralist. like that was the point. and DSA has almost 30k members and PSL doesn't release their membership

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

it begins

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
schism in less than a year, new record

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
welcome 2 da left :c00l:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What's the problem, Process Respecters? When you don't like how the organization functions structurally and want to make a change, this is the process for that. Or does it only matter when it gets the outcomes you want...?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

rule 1: no cops

you had one job

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Seriously, just force Fetonte to produce a timeline of his actual participation in what events/aspects he organized and weigh based on merit of what was attempted, and not the merit of the controversial union in of itself. For all we know 100% Fetonte touched within the union was good stuff unrelated to the bad stuff the union does.

Then force Fetonte to vote for things in the capacity of his NPC position.

If you don't have enough evidence of his contribution against the cause after that then maybe it's all hysteria.

Granted I duno what exactly a special convention would produce, but if it produces the above result then I'd be satisfied with any action based off from a logical conclusion of facts. Somehow I doubt it would and it would just be an avenue of reactionaryism and schism

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

can someone explain to me the difference between being in the military and working with a police union in these types of situations?

this is not in bad faith, i'm actually curious

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Karl Barks posted:

can someone explain to me the difference between being in the military and working with a police union in these types of situations?

idk but the veterans said they're sorry?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE
never forget

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
it appears leftists can’t help but shoot themselves in the foot when organizing. maybe I am reading this situation wrong?

also, why is DSA using twitter to bitch? don’t they have email lists where they can sort this out?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The DSA is doomed because it's structurally incapable of handling a little crisis like this, and also doomed when its members attempt to change the structure to address the problem.

:sad:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

it appears leftists can’t help but shoot themselves in the foot when organizing. maybe I am reading this situation wrong?

also, why is DSA using twitter to bitch? don’t they have email lists where they can sort this out?

Thats the thing, the most heat has been online, its done pretty much nothing to stop actual irl activities as far as i know.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

because 90% of the members of DSA are in their early 20s and have no idea how to manage communications for an organization this size

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GunnerJ posted:

The DSA is doomed because it's structurally incapable of handling a little crisis like this, and also doomed when its members attempt to change the structure to address the problem.

:sad:

is that your twitter account?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Karl Barks posted:

current or former members of the military are often sympathetic to leftism while cops are not

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the bitcoin of weed posted:

current or former members of the military are often sympathetic to leftism while cops are not

doesn't this apply to fetonte? he is sympathetic to leftism, right?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

It's cool how the old white people on the NPC ignored the black and brown people on the NPC and voted to keep the cop organizer despite them being told it was already directly affecting coalition work

citation needed bithc

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Jaffe4Congress/status/902900151072591873

🤔🤔🤔

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

apropos to nothing posted:

I really don't understand all the hate for democratic centralism.

because Trotskyists

edit:

lol

Slanderer has issued a correction as of 16:39 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

was gonna call this a good respoinse till i saw the emojies