Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Also want to clarify something I said earlier about the new gear unlocking at prestige 7. You can get the new gear at 7, but it's at a relatively low rate and you won't start getting it commonly until you're at 9. Not sure how the percentages work out but it's probably best to save any boxes you have until you're at 9.

Holy poo poo. I'm at 20 overall, but it's hard to imagine getting a single character to 9.

Leveling is a fuckin slog because I'm bad at the game. I have been killed so many times by nothing but light spam from conquerors and berserkers because I just can't seem to block in time, even though it feels like I'm doing it right I get hit anyway. I bet that some of it is from playing on console, whenever I watch pc streams it seems like there's so much more time to react because everything is so much smoother.

Also I pretty much only play solo vs AI which provides less exp. I mostly do this because I do well enough against the other bottom-tier players and I don't want to get bumped up because then I couldn't do PVP at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I played for hours last night and only ran into one mid-game disconnect, though there's another bug now where it won't let you actually join a game if the lobby is full which I think is new. Not really an issue though, all you have to do is queue again and you'll lose maybe a minute of time.

No season pass for me, but both the new characters are fun to fight against at least. Highlander in particular has kind of the same feel as going up against a Kensei where you can tell that the times you get hit are your own fault. The tracking on their unblockable grab attack is a bit weird but it's probably just a need to get used to the dodge window. Gladiator has been a bit harder to figure out but still feels perfectly fair to fight against, the main thing is going to be getting used to when they'll side dodge and counter attack but that's the same as all the other assassins. Foot stab gets me a lot but every time it's happened it's something I should have seen coming.

Really happy with both of them and the new levels and interface changes are good as well. I still think Cent and Shinobi were mistakes for different reasons and made the game terrible to play, these new ones are a welcome addition. Shinobi has been nerfed since release and isn't much of an issue anymore, it's just Wardens and Cents now that I think could use some sort of nerf or redesign. Make it so Warden can't cancel their shoulder charge into a GB anymore and they would probably be fine, Cent has a whole host of problems and would he harder to address.

Also want to clarify something I said earlier about the new gear unlocking at prestige 7. You can get the new gear at 7, but it's at a relatively low rate and you won't start getting it commonly until you're at 9. Not sure how the percentages work out but it's probably best to save any boxes you have until you're at 9.

I'm at 8 and get all legendary gear, from levels 26-28 in all of my premium box slots.

titties posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm at 20 overall, but it's hard to imagine getting a single character to 9.

Leveling is a fuckin slog because I'm bad at the game. I have been killed so many times by nothing but light spam from conquerors and berserkers because I just can't seem to block in time, even though it feels like I'm doing it right I get hit anyway. I bet that some of it is from playing on console, whenever I watch pc streams it seems like there's so much more time to react because everything is so much smoother.

Also I pretty much only play solo vs AI which provides less exp. I mostly do this because I do well enough against the other bottom-tier players and I don't want to get bumped up because then I couldn't do PVP at all.

While performance doesn't actually impact levelling much, playing versus AI definitely does. Playing against other people is the only real way to get better though, you'll level up much much faster, and honestly I find it a lot more fun, though I wouldn't presume to know your playing preferences.

I really would encourage you to play more multiplayer though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm at 8 and get all legendary gear, from levels 26-28 in all of my premium box slots.

I specifically mean the new models. All the gear you get will be legendary quality, but some of it is just going to be the same stuff that was already in the game but with increased stats. I have my Shugo at rep 8 and LB at rep 12, buying boxes for Shugo still had me getting mostly old models with a few new ones while buying them for LB gives me new models much more frequently.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
When Absolver comes out at the end of this month, there going to be a new thread for that game? or are we just going to talk about it here until For Honor gets their For poo poo together and release some dedicated servers?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm curious about absolver and will keep tabs on it when it comes out but there is just as much of a chance that it ends up poo poo just the same as for honor had when it was being hyped.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
PC Gamer's retrospective on For Honor. Seems a bit premature. Ends on a hopeful note, I guess.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-for-honor/

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Is Valk still awful?
I hope so.
Might try this again when I get back home at the end of the month.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

PC Gamer's retrospective on For Honor. Seems a bit premature. Ends on a hopeful note, I guess.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-for-honor/

Weird that the article compares FH to Rainbow Six so much, I never got the impression that there was any significant parallel between them besides both being made by Ubisoft. Rainbow Six is a pretty typical shooter and will attract that audience, FH is completely different and a lot of its failures might be on account of it being the only thing in its field. Putting their player numbers side by side seems like an arbitrary way of judging their quality.

Interested in Absolver giving a real point of comparison once it's released, though I'm not sold on the game yet. The main thing is that Absolver doesn't seem to have attack indicators like FH, so it's going to be more like a typical fighting game where you have to recognize incoming attacks by their animations which is a lot more involved. I could never reliably block most things when I was playing the FH single player on realistic, I'm worried Absolver will be frustrating to play for similar reasons.

titties
May 10, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Seems a bit premature. Ends on a hopeful note, I guess.

Every article I've seen focuses exclusively on the Steam numbers and acts like there are only 3 or 4k total players. It makes sense in that we aren't given the console numbers or (I presume) the Uplay numbers, but I don't like being treated like I don't exist. I get enough of that from my family and friend and employers / potential employers

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you're about to start getting it from me too, bitch

titties
May 10, 2012

dangit

E: you main conqueror, right? What is the timing for the superior block on heavy? is it before or after the parry window? I can only do it on accident.

titties fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 19, 2017

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Really happy with both of them and the new levels and interface changes are good as well. I still think Cent and Shinobi were mistakes for different reasons and made the game terrible to play, these new ones are a welcome addition. Shinobi has been nerfed since release and isn't much of an issue anymore, it's just Wardens and Cents now that I think could use some sort of nerf or redesign. Make it so Warden can't cancel their shoulder charge into a GB anymore and they would probably be fine, Cent has a whole host of problems and would he harder to address.

Shinobi is literally trash tier right now since the developers do not know how to balance the game and will do several nerfs at a time. Warden isn't really that viable competitively either, shoulder bash isn't that much of an issue. The stamina game and w/e in general and how shoulder bash works with it can be annoying, I'll admit that much.

I mean, with Shinobi they:
1. Increased the time to hit from the kick 100 ms after the unblockable symbol appears
2. Increased stamina cost
3. Removed the guard break mix-up
4. Removed hyper armour

Don't get me wrong, shinobi's kick was ridiculous and the class was really one note, but removing the guard break mix-up *and* increasing the kick's hit time 100 ms means people can react to the double dodge instead of the kick itself even when the kick was just about reactable in duel situations before.

Honestly the season start has been incredibly depressing. Our group of friends who've been sticking with the game are incredibly tired of the game and I haven't seen them online in a while. We're getting more connectivity issues than before. Gladiator might actually be fine in duel even though on paper wrt frame times it's almost like a peacekeeper with unblockables and more mobility - but that impression is a little wrong. Whereas highlander is absolute garbage once you learn his mix-ups. But the real thing is that they've added yet another hero that has CC pretty much on demand (gladiator) and this is ruining the experience further in dominion since it's becoming impossible to react to several unblockables going off in group fight situations. To top this off their untested decision of adding immunity to CC during revenge has the effect of allowing conqueror doing his charge heavy or w/e and be immune to attack (at least without openers). This alone completely cost us a match because a conqueror could collect revenge and then hold a point and we couldn't do a thing to open him up before his friends came back.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
O boy this new map is horrible, it's like 90% of my games are on it and I am fed up with it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

On the plus side, I got to watch a friend push a dude into his allies ballistae. The downside is the map sucks.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The new viking map is pretty fun but there is no dominion version of it so.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kainser posted:

The new viking map is pretty fun but there is no dominion version of it so.

oh that's why i've never seen it

because lol skirmish and elimination are dead

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

First day thoughts on Highlander: the unblockable stance isn't worth it outside of dominion ganking ala Shugoki charge heavy. His standard stance is fun and could benefit from another 3 hit chain.

Anyone with a week's worth of play got any advice?

titties
May 10, 2012

Mambo No. 5 posted:

First day thoughts on Highlander: the unblockable stance isn't worth it outside of dominion ganking ala Shugoki charge heavy. His standard stance is fun and could benefit from another 3 hit chain.

Anyone with a week's worth of play got any advice?

Forward dash heavy cancels into a side heavy that is quicker than his other heavies.

Offensive stance is good if you chain it off of a superior block light and remember to use the grab, kick, or a feint instead of always going for the heavy.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011
Once people get wise to you trying to kick or grab them when you go into offensive stance, start cancelling the kick into the grab, it goes deceptively far.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just fired this up again after a few months. What's the current opinion on the Gladiator?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

10 Beers posted:

Just fired this up again after a few months. What's the current opinion on the Gladiator?

A better Valkyrie basically. She's a cool and good hero with some neat mixups that actually require talent to do well. Low skill floor and high skill roof which is basically exactly what you want from a hero.

titties
May 10, 2012

10 Beers posted:

Good

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
did they finally fix the

~defensive meta~

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Revenge got buffed again. Don't remember what all was changed but they made it not as worthless to pop now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Revenge got buffed again. Don't remember what all was changed but they made it not as worthless to pop now.

The biggest thing is immunity to knockdown attacks, so Centurions won't murderfuck you quite as hard in group fights. As for the meta as a whole, chip damage is now actually fairly noticeable, giving you a bit more incentive to actually attack even if you're liable to be blocked.

Also, I just met the most boring player in the world: 47 prestige ranks in total, and every single one of those in Warden. How do you have so little desire to ever try anything new? :psyduck:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Liu posted:

did they finally fix the

~defensive meta~

Yeah for the most part. Chip damage actually really helped in that regard, and all of the new heroes are very aggressive in a good way.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
A double experience weekend is starting in a few hours by the way.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

checking in to see if the OP needs anything added

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

rap music posted:

Add the new season heroes, with notes on pricing re: steel. Steel gain is actually quite generous these days, it probably only takes a week or so to get the 15,000 steel you need to buy the new heroes I'd you don't have the season pass.

Maybe get rid of the maps section since I rather doubt you want to include all of them. Also maybe some info on the various game modes? Can't think of much else to include.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah for the most part. Chip damage actually really helped in that regard, and all of the new heroes are very aggressive in a good way.

They fix that vortex poo poo yet

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

They fix that vortex poo poo yet

Like 4 patches ago

titties
May 10, 2012

rap music posted:

The owner of the PS4 group deleted the group at some point. The new PS4 group is Honoraburu leik Jeff K, post itt with your PSN name if you want an invite. I will ignore requests sent through the Community page, you gots to post in this thread.

Also PM me if you want an invite to my other PS4 groups

Yacht Rock and White Girls - GTA online
NO DAD IT'S CALLED ANIME - Neverwinter
Old Town Neighborhood Watch - Dying Light

titties
May 10, 2012

I just saw a rep 6 guy with all teal-rarity gear?

I'm rep 6 on PK and I've got epics equipped in all slots so I burned a crate to see if I could get some sweet teal gear like that guy had but I did not :smith:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

titties posted:

I just saw a rep 6 guy with all teal-rarity gear?

I'm rep 6 on PK and I've got epics equipped in all slots so I burned a crate to see if I could get some sweet teal gear like that guy had but I did not :smith:

Rep 8 I think is when you get all teal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
For Honor is $30 again. I missed the sale for the Free Weekend so decided to jump on that this time.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Add the new season heroes, with notes on pricing re: steel. Steel gain is actually quite generous these days, it probably only takes a week or so to get the 15,000 steel you need to buy the new heroes I'd you don't have the season pass.

Maybe get rid of the maps section since I rather doubt you want to include all of them. Also maybe some info on the various game modes? Can't think of much else to include.

titties posted:

The owner of the PS4 group deleted the group at some point. The new PS4 group is Honoraburu leik Jeff K, post itt with your PSN name if you want an invite. I will ignore requests sent through the Community page, you gots to post in this thread.

Also PM me if you want an invite to my other PS4 groups

Yacht Rock and White Girls - GTA online
NO DAD IT'S CALLED ANIME - Neverwinter
Old Town Neighborhood Watch - Dying Light

done and done

i spoil you goons

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Ranked mode is in. It's actually pretty fun! (until you run into a centurion or a megaturtle at which point the bad design decisions in this game becomes very obvious)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kainser posted:

Ranked mode is in. It's actually pretty fun! (until you run into a centurion or a megaturtle at which point the bad design decisions in this game becomes very obvious)

Eh, centurion actually isn't amazing in 1v1s. Great parry game, of course, but has a distinct lack of good openers. Still solidly high tier, of course, but I'd bet a good warlord or gladiator against a centurion any day.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
A great parry game is all you need in 1v1 though. Every cent I've met has just fished for light parries and then you get wallbanged 100-0

e; that's not to say that Centurion is the only thing that's wrong. Lawbringers who only turtle and then go block-shove-light attack and that's all they do :suicide:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Kainser posted:

e; that's not to say that Centurion is the only thing that's wrong. Lawbringers who only turtle and then go block-shove-light attack and that's all they do :suicide:

I try to play offensively whenever possible, but it's hard to crack open a defensive player with LB once you start facing opponents who know what they're doing. The only attack I can hit people with on its own is a top light most of the time, landing anything else usually has to come from mindgames like feints and parries. Even the side lights are telegraphed enough that I'll usually get parried if I try for one, and the bread and butter LB stuff like going for a dash-shove to open up your 50/50 is a problem when your opponent is good enough to actually dodge the shove and punish you for it. The more risky stuff like Long Arm can only be used defensively most of the time, usually on Cents who tend to dash forward to do their kick and you can catch them with it.

The main thing I end up doing against heavily defensive players at my level is just trying to make them guess wrong between dash-shove and dash-gb, but that's not much different from Cents trying to make you guess wrong between dash-kick and dash-gb. If they guess wrong and get hit by the shove they usually expect the gb followup so you have to settle for shove-light for the most part and chip them down with that. If they guess wrong about me shoving and side dodge they get the gb-heavy, either way I'm at least playing offensively because the defensive meta has always been obnoxious and I don't want to contribute to it. Chip damage has certainly been a welcome addition to the game.