Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

derp posted:

not my goodread account just so you know

Of course not, he finished it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
someone on the books subreddit posted a thread about lolita and it got locked within a few hours because redditors immediately started arguing about whether it's ok to gently caress a 15 year old

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
They didn't really get the book, huh?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

someone on the books subreddit posted a thread about lolita and it got locked within a few hours because redditors immediately started arguing about whether it's ok to gently caress a 15 year old

How did you not quote the OP:

quote:

I liked the word play in the book. I was not surprised with the paedophilia since I am on Reddit for over 4 years

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Just got a free copy of Barabbas by Par Lagerkvist #blessed

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

This sounds hilarious, please link

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I am proud, and also disturbed, when I realize this really is one of the best book discussion forums on the internet

I'm king of poo poo mountain

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

when the forums die in like four weeks we should take this show on the road

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

This sounds hilarious, please link

mods deleted a lot of the creepier posts but there are still a good bunch left

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 28, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I always like the ones who try to terminology lawyer it

" In my defense your honor, she was pubescent"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"I would like to invoke the 'grass on the field' rule"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Any last words?

"Its actually called Ephebophilia"

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am proud, and also disturbed, when I realize this really is one of the best book discussion forums on the internet

I'm king of poo poo mountain

Congratulations

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I am reading this book called My Year of Meats, by Ruth Ozeki. It is about a Japanese TV show called My American Wife!, which features American Families cooking various forms of meat on TV. It is reminding me a lot of Mark Leyner, actually.

I got it alongside The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende and Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel at a second hand store for $2 each. Pretty sweet deal!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thehoodie posted:

I am reading this book called My Year of Meats, by Ruth Ozeki. It is about a Japanese TV show called My American Wife!, which features American Families cooking various forms of meat on TV. It is reminding me a lot of Mark Leyner, actually.

I got it alongside The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende and Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel at a second hand store for $2 each. Pretty sweet deal!

That is a good deal. I read both the latter books as well as another book by Ozeki last year, and they were all really good.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
god i hate reddit

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Picked up Kafka on the Shore quickly because I needed to read something on the plane and my ereader broke. Murakami isn't my favorite writer but he sure is easy to read, I got to 150 pages in 2 hours or so.

My favorite line is when the retarded man asks the cat if sex is about your willy and the cat replies "with a serious face" that "yes, it's all about the willy"

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i finished for whom the bell tolls and it was pretty okay. made me feel things which is a good sign. probably i'll read another of his sometime.

started listening to persuasion and its not doing a very good job of persuading me to keep going

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

made me feel things which is a good sign

Glad to see derp and a quadriplegic have the same measurement of value

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

derp posted:

started listening to persuasion and its not doing a very good job of persuading me to keep going

At this point I don't think anything keeps you going. I don't even understand how you continue to post.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
many things keep me going. ive read probably close to 1000 books in my boring life

spending many many pages to tell me in so many flowery words ''they broke' is not very engaging, i would rather be shown it by having one of the many characters whos birthdays and spouses i got told, struggling with their finances in an interesting way.

it is a very difficult struggle to read my own sentences long enough to press submit tho you are right.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
keep posting never stop

also, reading Turgenev's Fathers and Sons now, should be good 200 pages of philosohical discussion with some sexy russian girls sighing thrown in

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i've never read a single book; i get all of my information about literature from oncle picsou comics

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fiction to inspire you to love and be in nature? Like Thoreau but narrative.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Fiction to inspire you to love and be in nature? Like Thoreau but narrative.

The Peregrine and Dharma Bums comes to mind.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i read dharma bums and can't remmeber anything about it other than i thought it was bad

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

i read dharma bums and can't remmeber anything about it other than i thought it was bad

The buddhism sections can be slow for people that don't really care for that stuff, and I can see the parts where everyone gets drunk and has an semi-orgy in front of Alan Watts not being to everyone's tastes, but I liked the sections about hiking and climbing the mountains and going into the woods, which is about half the book. It's a short read too, so it's not like anything has a chance to actually drag.

edit: unless you hate Kerouac or the Beats, which is understandable.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Franchescanado posted:

The buddhism sections can be slow for people that don't really care for that stuff, and I can see the parts where everyone gets drunk and has an semi-orgy in front of Alan Watts not being to everyone's tastes, but I liked the sections about hiking and climbing the mountains and going into the woods, which is about half the book. It's a short read too, so it's not like anything has a chance to actually drag.

i was really into Buddhism at the time so i was excited to read it but i think it didn't live up to my expectations. also i read it like right after On the Road and wasn't very impressed with that either

of course this was way back in high school before i really had a good appreciation for literature so a lot of stuff was probably lost on me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hey guys i am reading swann's way and i am not seeing a reason to continue like why doesn't he just eat the cookie already

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

i was really into Buddhism at the time so i was excited to read it but i think it didn't live up to my expectations. also i read it like right after On the Road and wasn't very impressed with that either

of course this was way back in high school before i really had a good appreciation for literature so a lot of stuff was probably lost on me

No, I agree, the Buddhism sections are lacking, especially compared to the great outdoors sections.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hey guys i am reading swann's way and i am not seeing a reason to continue like why doesn't he just eat the cookie already

Cookies are very bad for swans, like chocolate for dogs.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

At this point I don't think anything keeps you going. I don't even understand how you continue to post.

hate. hate keeps him going. hate is why he continues to post.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Desert Solitaire is a good nature book because Ed Abbey is a total dick.

Also anything by John Muir is cool mostly because of his insane religious fervor all over the place.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I've yet to try anything but Kerouac but long been curious.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

blue squares posted:

I've yet to try anything but Kerouac but long been curious.

Uh there are at least 7 authors who aren't Kerouac.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What books should I buy if I want to intimidate people with my literary prowess? They have to be recognizable to the average person yet inspire dread and awe at my erudition. Also gotta have a cliff notes available for free on their website.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I enjoyed Swann's Way so much in English that I started learning French just so one day I can read it in its original language. It also is the book that gave me the idea to use notecards as bookmarks and write down passages I like and I pretty easily filled the entire thing so that when I go back and read it again I can see which passages struck me on a first passthrough and now I do that with all of my books

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
computer, show me the least enticing article on the internet

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

What books should I buy if I want to intimidate people with my literary prowess? They have to be recognizable to the average person yet inspire dread and awe at my erudition. Also gotta have a cliff notes available for free on their website.

Try de Sade.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

On the subject, I'm looking to read as many books as possible in the vein of Lolita, American Psycho, Junkie, The 120 Days of Sodom, et cetera. Stuff about unrepentant transgressors who society allows to practice their poison. Preferably with good language like Nabokov, de Sade, and Burroughs. I'm not that great a fan of the BEE house style. I heard Tampa by Alissa Nutting was supposed to be decent, but I can't confirm. The vice itself doesn't matter so much to me, just that it is severe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Filth by Irvine Welsh maybe?