Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

No but seriously guys, why is McLaren not asking for Mercedes engines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“1500quidporsche”" post="“475897358”"]
[/quote]

They did. Mercedes said no.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Schlesische posted:

So again, why isn't he pushing for a Mercedes-McLaren reunion?

Who do you think they went to first?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I think Alonso should go to WEC and have fun

A dead series for a dead driver. Phwoar what synergy :fap:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

A dead series for a dead driver. Phwoar what synergy :fap:

Ron get out

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Like I get the prestige of the ~~~triple crown~~~ but as all but one of the manufacturers have pulled out of LMP1, what is the future of WEC? Seems to be more sensible to leave for IndyCar.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The future is that LMP2 is the new LMP1

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The future is that LMP2 is the new LMP1

I can hear it on the team radio now, "LMP2 ENGINE!"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Zak Brown just said McLaren would be interested in joining LMP1 if the rules were revamped. Hard to see the rules not being revamped in the wake of its pretty much death.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

More like Hack Clown.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

More like Hack Clown.

I'll see you in 6 to 24 hours :smuggo:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confident in Brown's ability to get some sponsorship. He's smart enough to realize that nobody is going to pay $69 billion dollars to put their name on post-2008 McLaren. Unlike SOMEBODY.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm confident in Brown's ability to get some sponsorship. He's smart enough to realize that nobody is going to pay $69 billion dollars to put their name on post-2008 McLaren. Unlike SOMEBODY.

McLaren just hired one of his former employees at JMI to lead their new "Partner Strategy" team.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

I do think Alonso needs to calm down and re evaluate the situation. Maybe he knows something about next year's Renault engine that I don't but at most they're going to be fighting for 2-3 wins with a Renault engine.

instead of 0 wins with the honda deal

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's been 3 years and Honda has made zero actual improvements

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

It's been 3 years and Honda has made zero actual improvements

This is exactly what happened in the 80s and then in 1986 they blew everyone the gently caress away.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's kinda not true. The '83 engine was pretty poor and the '84 engine was powerful but undriveable. By mid-'85 they had the best engine. The '15-'17 motors have been horrendous by comparison.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

This is exactly what happened in the 80s and then in 1986 they blew everyone the gently caress away.

I'll buy you a years worth of new tires of they come in 2018 and blow everyone away

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The views of the posters in this thread regarding Honda have been exactly inverted since the beginning of the season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I'll buy you a years worth of new tires of they come in 2018 and blow everyone away

I swear to god Honda hire me. We'll make this happen.

wicka posted:

The views of the posters in this thread regarding Honda have been exactly inverted since the beginning of the season.

They hired Illien and moved away from the dumb single cylinder thing. It's tough to tell if there's been the necessary cultural shift yet but the initial signs is positive. Plus talking about moving to Renault in September is absolutely stupid as gently caress.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 30, 2017

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

1500quidporsche posted:

It would be very Alonso if after all this poo poo he gets a Renault engine that turns out to blow up at random times, while Kvyat zooms past him in a fairly well working toro honda.
I can already feel the anger in the radio messages.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Uhhh I've been saying Honda is and will be poo poo all year tyvm

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

mrfart posted:

It would be very Alonso if after all this poo poo he gets a Renault engine that turns out to blow up at random times, while Kvyat zooms past him in a fairly well working toro honda.
I can already feel the anger in the radio messages.

No matter which option Alonso chooses, it'll turn out to be the worst option.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Alonso cursed so what

:suicide:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

That's kinda not true. The '83 engine was pretty poor and the '84 engine was powerful but undriveable. By mid-'85 they had the best engine. The '15-'17 motors have been horrendous by comparison.

yeah and from what I remember the Spirit-Honda team was more or less a warmup for them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only thing I can compare this current Honda engine to is how awful Porsche's attempt at a F1 return was with Footwork. I think Jackie Oliver said his worst moment as a team owner was when they got their first engines from Porsche and found out how heavy they were.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The 85 engine only came good towards the end of the year from what I remember. Didn't Rosberg have a ton of retirements aside from winning in Detroit for the first two thirds of the season?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah and from what I remember the Spirit-Honda team was more or less a warmup for them.

The Spirit-Honda 201 wasn't actually that bad. I think the original intention was to support Spirit for a longer period of time but Williams came calling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh, it was Alan Jenkins, not Jackie Oliver

quote:

Porsche doesn't deserve to be mentioned among these failures but their 1991 V12 was really a big disappointment. The then Arrows designer Alan Jenkins most depressing moment came in late 1990 when the Porsche V12 engine was delivered to them. It was very bulky and massively overweight at 180kg. It didn't produce much power either so it failed utterly. The engine had a 80-degree vee-angle and had the power taken at centrally, similarly as used in their 917 flat-12 engines of 1970-71. Arrows did not even persevere for the whole season and the Porsche was unceremoniously dumped mid-season. The team installed Hart-tuned DFR V8 engines instead. Alboreto barely qualified four times while Johansson qualified the Porsche-powered FA12 just once. Caffi never even got the car onto the grid. After the 1991 debacle Porsche never returned to Formula 1.

Actually this entire article is cool.

http://8w.forix.com/engine-failures.html

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The only thing I can compare this current Honda engine to is how awful Porsche's attempt at a F1 return was with Footwork. I think Jackie Oliver said his worst moment as a team owner was when they got their first engines from Porsche and found out how heavy they were.

The loving thing was 418lbs. or something insane like that. By comparison the Honda V12 was 352lbs.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

The 85 engine only came good towards the end of the year from what I remember. Didn't Rosberg have a ton of retirements aside from winning in Detroit for the first two thirds of the season?

Yeah it was powerful but unreliable.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Was talking to someone a while back that mentioned that the PTO being in the middle traces back to their old flat 12s having lovely crankshafts so that eased the stress on them. That V12 must've been absolute balls.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I also gotta say that the entire design process for the FA12 was a huge clusterfuck. So much so that they actually had to drag out the A11C and shoehorn in the V12 for the first few races of 1991.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Human Grand Prix posted:

Yeah it was powerful but unreliable.

Which was 80s motorsport in a nutshell and i guess early 90s

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There were two big jumps in F1 engine reliability IIRC, one was 1996 when the no-hope teams were effectively tossed from the sport by the 107 rule (resulting in the grid going from 26 to 20), and another one in 2003, for some reason.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

the 03 stuff was probably because of Ferrari being so drat reliable at the time. Newey Mclarens were usually the fastest but always went pop.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

toto say nono

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alonso's McLaren-Honda woes are the price he's paying for signing whatever deal with the devil he had to for Schumacher's 2006 Japanese grand prix engine failure.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. goons. more deals from Sky unlock code

May I just say that Sky are complete fuckers for doing all this bullshit, law now says they have to offer old customers deals as well as new ones, but not that they have to advertise them, or contact the old customers to tell them what they can have.

top of the range broadband for £11.01 a month deal

If you have been with them for a "I'm sorry I can't tell you that" amount of time, but I would guess it's over 5 years, then you qualify for something called Sky VIP. You have to call up and ask a question about it as in "a friend told me". This unlocks unlimited high speed fibre broadband for £11.01 a month, new router, no installation fee, and the Sky VIP channel which gives you popular shows a day before everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Just watch streams for free online, OP.

• Locked thread