Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, but searching a data devices is not always unreasonable. Warrantless searches of a device are bullshit, but if law enforcement obtains a lawful warrant to search a phone, then so be it. :shrug:

Anyone who doesn't want to unlock their phone for warrant-holding law enforcement is doing so under the 5th amendment. If they're just taking your phone at a traffic stop to look for recent bar selfies and you refuse, then you're objecting under the 4th amendment.

Germane to the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calibanibal posted:

my grandpa wrote a diary too but if I posted it I would probably be disappeared by the CIA because of its contents, so yeah

My grandfather who spent the war getting drunk and laid in the Caribbean and South America throughout the war kept a diary that I got a chance to read through after his funeral. Apparently, Miami was the best place to get drunk and Rio de Janeiro had the prettiest hookers.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I have a strange question Slo-Tek, pm me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

computer yes, iphone no

on iphone, the user has to explicitly agree to download and install all updates

i believe this is new and was implemented specifically because the FBI tried to force apple to install a custom-made backdoor using the automatic updates when this first came back into the public eye, the san bernadino shooter iphone issue (that they later mooted by using a physical hack to get at the data iirc)

basically, to make sure they couldn't be required to do it in the future apple made it so they couldn't do it in the future to begin with and patched that backdoor. and what the government basically wants to force them to do is get that ability back.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I love how all of Trumps supposed enemies of which there are many like Mexico and Venezuela are selflessly offering money and aid to Texas. Says a gently caress ton honestly. Like he's absolutely poo poo on these countries for years but they don't equate him with the innocent people in Texas whatsoever which I doubt would be the same if the situation were reversed.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
For Grandpa chat one was a radar station operator in the Pacific, the other was a paratrooper who made dozens of jumps, most into the Phillipines. He took home a rifle, pistol and katana from a Japanese officer who surrendered to him; we still have those - we're thinking of selling the rifle and pistol, but my dad's thought about trying to return the katana to the officer's family, if there are still any.

If you want a bigger one, my great-great-great-(maybe add on another great)-grandpa got the medal of honor for leading a successful assault against a Confederate troop train during the Civil War.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Slo-Tek posted:

Bonus great uncle George with his war loot. Apparently he didn't win it all in cardgames, was a radio operator for the Railsplitters at the Bulge.

Did he ever tell you what it was like losing all his brothers on the same day before Tom Hanks came to save him?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

I have a strange question Slo-Tek, pm me.

Please tell me you're not trying to gently caress his grampa

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kale posted:

I love how all of Trumps supposed enemies of which there are many like Mexico and Venezuela are selflessly offering money and aid to Texas. Says a gently caress ton honestly. Like he's absolutely poo poo on these countries for years but they don't equate him with the innocent people in Texas whatsoever which I doubt would be the same if the situation were reversed.

Mexico is probably coming from actual selflessness, but I doubt Maduro has as good intentions.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

evilweasel posted:

your iphone and computer already have very significant backdoors - automatic updates signed by the company

backdooring encryption is never going to happen, encryption is too well understood by everyone at this point and people will just use non-backdoored encryption but backdooring devices and requiring companies to cooperate in the use and exploitation of their existing backdoors is a different issue. also never going to happen for long, it will just make updates more of a pain in the rear end, but it's a different issue.

Thus far Apple and Microsoft have been shown to be reliable allies in not caving to government pressure while in the case of microsoft being decent global citizens in tak ing down the less desirable parts of the internet. I don't explicitly trust any corporation but I think it's a bit hyperbolic to say backdoors are just one compromised patch away. It may be true but when it's discovered, and it will be, the damage done to the responsible party is enormous unless we're already in a defacto police state anyway.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I'm not at all active in this thread and nobody cares but as long as we're doing grandpa chat one of mine taught hand to hand combat at an Army Infantry training camp. He had a knee injury that kept him from being deployed to Europe even though he really, really, really, really wanted to punch Nazi's.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

i believe this is new and was implemented specifically because the FBI tried to force apple to install a custom-made backdoor using the automatic updates when this first came back into the public eye, the san bernadino shooter iphone issue (that they later mooted by using a physical hack to get at the data iirc)

basically, to make sure they couldn't be required to do it in the future apple made it so they couldn't do it in the future to begin with and patched that backdoor. and what the government basically wants to force them to do is get that ability back.

They also added a new "cop mode" in iOS 11 to turn off TouchID and call for help.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My grandpa yelled at some french lady and made her make his whole group breakfast illegally and that was about it for bad stuff in the diary.

What is an illegal breakfast like?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Nazzadan posted:

My grandpa killed giant boars in the mountain ranges of Montana.

And I clapped

Nazzadan's 'Grampa Shrugged'

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
My family has served in every war going back to the siege of Troy, all with distinction.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Cythereal posted:

My grandfather who spent the war getting drunk and laid in the Caribbean and South America throughout the war kept a diary that I got a chance to read through after his funeral. Apparently, Miami was the best place to get drunk and Rio de Janeiro had the prettiest hookers.

nice, wish my gpa had done that instead of fought in the shadow war

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/902583839335358464

In other news, didn't see this though this thread moves fast.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Reik posted:

War is just the least efficient form of diplomacy.

But one of the most profitable forms of capitalism.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arglebargle III posted:

It's military jargon for DVDA

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

American soldiers aren't supposed to go yell at french ladies and take all their food to make the army breakfast.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

My paternal grandfather fought in the European Front, I'm not sure of the specifics.

One of his brothers fought in the Battle of the Bulge, another one lost his thumb in Germany (I remember asking him about it).
My great Aunt was one of the codebreakers, and apparently she did an interview about it not too long ago. She was a bit surprised to learn all that stuff is declassified now.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Please tell me you're not trying to gently caress his grampa

lmao it's for a documentary

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Is there any case law on this before the advent of digital encryption like with ciphers and such that could be used as precedent?

I don't really disagree with you on the free speech thing, but I feel like it could be easily argued that hidden communication isn't particularly protected.

I seem to recall from high school (late 90's), when PGP came out, the US Gov't tried to prevent its export (as a 'weapons system'), until the creators published the source code as text on paper - and the courts agreed that it's protected speech.

Could be wrong though, IANAL

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Koalas March posted:

Around here we call "loving his grampa for a documentary" an "adult film"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All the grandpa chat makes me sad, mine died in a camp so I never met him. I really wish occupational safety was taken more seriously then, the tower really should've had solid handrails.

Was that the most obvious joke? Yeah, gently caress you. Anyway, my other grandpa was too young to serve but later was a sapper the the soviet army and spent the early 50s in bum-gently caress central Asia. He has some stories but mostly routine poo poo daily living conditions.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Slo-Tek posted:

Grampchat incoming:

One of my gramps was a photographer with a PBY unit doing mapping work in Greenland and South America. Was also a plankholder on the Midway.

Other of my gramps was a doctor, but since he was ROTC through college, they commissioned him as an infantry officer, and he ended up doing some poo poo as a liaison officer with a British commando unit that dropped into Sicily ahead of Operation Husky. Had battle dreams till he died.

Bonus great uncle George with his war loot. Apparently he didn't win it all in cardgames, was a radio operator for the Railsplitters at the Bulge.

My pop did his share of making southeast asia safe for democracy as well:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Calibanibal posted:

nice, wish my gpa had done that instead of fought in the shadow war

Yeah, my grandpa was a farmboy who'd never seen the ocean who enlisted in the navy two days after Pearl Harbor. Lo and behold spent the war on a destroyer patrolling harbors and convoy routes looking for u-boats, and his ship was broken up for scrap after the war having never fired a shot in anger.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Koalas March posted:

you are going to gently caress his grandpa for a documentary?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kelly posted:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/902583839335358464

In other news, didn't see this though this thread moves fast.

Trump doesn't understand that "how well the government responds" is more about the next few weeks, not during the storm itself.

If it sucks real hard, this will be his "heck of a job, Brownie"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Azhais posted:

Around here we call "loving his grampa for a documentary" an "adult film"

goddamn it goons what me and my next sugar daddy do is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKLhxjC3bNg

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013
One of my grandpas drove a desk in Washington for the motor pool. The other one had a construction firm and built aircraft hangers in Louisville, KY.

My girlfriend's grandfathers, on the other hand, were (a) a Seabee on Iwo Jima, and (b) a Polish Jew who escaped with the help of some Romanian partisans.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
We probably need a cut off point for gramps chat at some point

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My great grand fathers...and grand fathers...and father and all my uncles who didn't marry into the family all pretty much have ties and do dubious things for the mafia so I guess I'm the horrible offspring of Italian criminals and have no stories I can tell that would be wise to share like cool WWII grandpas :sigh:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

sounds cool

:ninja:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
speaking of half remembered memories from childhood important only to ourselves, what were your favorite childhood toys from the 80's? i'll start

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This isn't about grandpas but some Trump voters in Pittsburgh are coming around

https://www.yahoo.com/news/outrageous-off-scale-trump-voters-083735661.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RuanGacho posted:

Thus far Apple and Microsoft have been shown to be reliable allies in not caving to government pressure while in the case of microsoft being decent global citizens in tak ing down the less desirable parts of the internet. I don't explicitly trust any corporation but I think it's a bit hyperbolic to say backdoors are just one compromised patch away. It may be true but when it's discovered, and it will be, the damage done to the responsible party is enormous unless we're already in a defacto police state anyway.

i'm not saying they've been untrustworthy, i'm saying that the fbi has a much easier time in getting the backdoors it wants right now than it did in the 90s when it wanted to backdoor all encryption so this is an actual thing to worry about

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

goddamn it goons what me and my next sugar daddy do is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKLhxjC3bNg

Please do not bring back horrible memories. My grandfather died in the Shoop Offensive.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koalas March posted:

That's one adult oriented documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

We probably need a cut off point for gramps chat at some point

Agreed.

So what did everyone's Grandmothers do?

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/902943581442371585

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/902951465836261381

• Locked thread