Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

shyduck posted:

Anybody know how to tactfully quit a team that relies somewhat heavily on you for another team out of the same rink? I've been my current team for a few years now, but we lose a lot of games and the team isn't very social. I've been playing with another team this summer, and they've been an awesome group.

This should be an easier decision but I can't afford the time or money to play on two teams this winter, and I do consider my current teammates to be friends. I'm torn.

Just be honest with your captain. Say that a buddy on the other team said they had an opening and you really want to play with your friend. Its just beer league hockey.

Then you show up to play your old team and completely curb stomp their asses with a 6 point game while jerking off towards their bench after every goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

shyduck posted:

Anybody know how to tactfully quit a team that relies somewhat heavily on you for another team out of the same rink? I've been my current team for a few years now, but we lose a lot of games and the team isn't very social. I've been playing with another team this summer, and they've been an awesome group.

This should be an easier decision but I can't afford the time or money to play on two teams this winter, and I do consider my current teammates to be friends. I'm torn.

You'll have babies on your team be pissed off (probably) no matter what you say. So I'd tell the captain before hand, giving him a heads up then ask to tell the team yourself, then tell the team afterwards in the locker room after your next game if you're playing. If you're not then their message board, Facebook group, email list, whatever. Second part to try and ensure the goodbye is first hand rather than hearsay.

Say you liked playing with them and whatnot but want to go with another team. Thank them for the good times and keep in touch.

I say this because a guy on our team hum-hawed for a while then didn't play for us for one season. A number of people gave him poo poo even though it's beer league. Everything we heard as to why he left was 2nd hand.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

I was on a team for a few years helping them out in a league lower than where I should be playing. I just told them this season I didn't have time. Felt a little bad because I like the guys but they'll get over it. It just wasn't much fun for me any more playing with players below my skill level.

On an unrelated note summer league just ended. We lost 3-0 in the finals despite out shooting the other team like 40-22. :negative:. Just could not bury one.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ginette Reno posted:

We lost 3-0 in the finals despite out shooting the other team like 40-22

It's "funny" how often this happens in hockey from pros down to poo poo beer league. It usually happens to us in the playoffs as well: all scoring dries up.

Hopefully not this Sunday when we play for our division championship against the team we haven't beaten all drat season. :argh:
we goin' loooooooooose they got 3 really good D playing down + decent goalie + best GF + best GA and we lost by 2 in every game against them

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

shyduck posted:

The team I play for sucks pretty bad so we have lost every good player that has played with us for the most part. We get over it. Every team in our league has at least 2 players that joined the league through our team and then the next season was just like, oh I got a call from so and so to play for them soooo...well see you out there! I don't think anybody really holds a grudge against those guys except when we have to play a playoff game, like we did this week, with only 7 guys and you realize if we had everybody that had joined other teams we would have 2 lines of really good players and probably won a couple championships instead of giving up 4 goals in the last 5 minutes and losing 8-2 because you're gassed as hell and 7 years older than the oldest guy on the other team, that used to play for you. I know that sounds bitter but I actually really don't care. I kind of like playing against friends because it is usually a more civilized game.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I currently have a pair of Supreme 170 that I bought several years ago. The boot is starting to break down a few eyelets are almost ripping out. How big of a difference in quality is there if I picked up a pair of the new 180s? They definitely feel higher in quality for sure but not sure about the jump up. Figure I'll get them before the season starts so I can use that as an excuse instead of not having played in 3 months and being lazy over the summer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Duke Chin posted:

It's "funny" how often this happens in hockey from pros down to poo poo beer league. It usually happens to us in the playoffs as well: all scoring dries up.

Hopefully not this Sunday when we play for our division championship against the team we haven't beaten all drat season. :argh:
we goin' loooooooooose they got 3 really good D playing down + decent goalie + best GF + best GA and we lost by 2 in every game against them

I bet that team with players playing down acts all cocky and takes it super serious too. It's usually that way.

I've actually had decent luck in our playoffs the past year or two. Woulda been really fun to win our A league though because we were the only team without a D1 or other type of ex pro on it. Well our captain was, but he's a goalie who was playing out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had a bonafide ringer this summer, dad wanted to play a season with his just turned 18 son so they let him in. Halfway through we were told he had to leave after this season or we get bumped up a division.

Anyways, it's pretty hilarious how snotty teams that shelled us to 10-1 losses in our first season get when suddenly it's a 5-5 game they might lose. It's "just beer league" when their sandbagging douches get 6 goals but when our guy does it it's time to cry at the commissioner!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

do any of you so cal never evers skate in that Tuesday skate at Bay Harbor? I've done it the past 3-4 weeks and haven't seen anyone but Wooty and Nick (whatever your SA name is)

I haven't played with that group since I moved to inglewood 2 years ago, I was low on cash and time. I should probably ask to get back on the email list since I now have some time and a little money and definitely need the practice since I skipped this season too.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Ginette Reno posted:

I bet that team with players playing down acts all cocky and takes it super serious too. It's usually that way.

I've actually had decent luck in our playoffs the past year or two. Woulda been really fun to win our A league though because we were the only team without a D1 or other type of ex pro on it. Well our captain was, but he's a goalie who was playing out.

Meh they're mostly okay actually. We have a dearth of speed on our team which their 3 D do not so we get worked on our breakouts and breakaways against em, but those dudes are pretty chill. The one who super sucks on that team is the tiny 5'-nothing girl who slashes constantly and crosschecks people in the back all the time but yells at the refs if anyone so much at looks her wrong and tries to slide her out of our crease.

Like, she slashes all the time hah

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
About to go play my 5th shinny in 48 hours, this weekend owns

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just played our first playoff game. We won 4-2 with an empty net goal at the end. I had an assist playing defense, had 2 slapshots from the point, one of which finally exploded my $7 Amazon fischer in beautiful fashion. The guy going to block my shot ended up catching my broken blade to the face.

I got my teams mvp of the game stick due to excellent defensive play and a rousing third period speech (after the other team started coming back scoring 2 goals making it 3-2).

RIP $7 Amazon Fischer. You lasted 3+ years of solid use. Incredible.

We play for the championship against the third place team on Tuesday.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Look, I'm not saying the refs cost us our division finals game; they certainly didn't...

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

all refs are bad

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

all refs are bad

As a beer league ref myself, this is true. Though to be fair it's really a lovely job a majority of the time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I went to a pickup session this weekend and there was only one other kid there, so I farted around by myself for a while. After a while the kid came over to talk to me, turns out he's playing in juniors this fall and is terrified as this is a new level for him and etc. So, I worked with him for a while. Now, I was still better than he was...but not because I was any faster or quicker or stronger than he was, and not by much. As we were playing, I was thinking, if we did this next summer...this kid would absolutely kill me. He's only going to get better, and I'm going to continue my consistent gradual decline. That said it was really cool to work with him and coach him a bit. I suppose what I'm saying is circle of hockey life and all that.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

Look, I'm not saying the refs cost us our division finals game; they certainly didn't...

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

all refs are bad

So out of the six goals against, how many did the refs cost you? :v:

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I went on vacation with my family to Orange County the other week, and decided to pack my small hockey bag with some roller equipment. Then I shipped a wood stick from icewarehouse to the house I was staying at, which arrived in 1 day. Best decision as I got to play a pick-up game at Heritage Park one weekend. One of the highlights of my trip out there. Also the hockey bag was great for packing non-fragile items that wouldn't fit in my luggage on the way back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lost in the semis last night by 1. Championship would have been on my birthday. Bummer.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We have a championship game tonight.

Carb loading with cold pizza at 10am. Thats how it works right?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Last week our rink had a special camp, so no Rat Hockey or Open Skate. The week before that, I was out of town. Today was the first time skating in 3 weeks, and in that time I've apparently forgotten how to do a proper hockey stop on my right side and I've also forgotten how to not get tired after 10 minutes of skating. I knew hockey was keeping me in great shape, but I didn't realize how quickly it'd atrophy. :negative:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Last week our rink had a special camp, so no Rat Hockey or Open Skate. The week before that, I was out of town. Today was the first time skating in 3 weeks, and in that time I've apparently forgotten how to do a proper hockey stop on my right side and I've also forgotten how to not get tired after 10 minutes of skating. I knew hockey was keeping me in great shape, but I didn't realize how quickly it'd atrophy. :negative:

When I was in college I stopped playing and then I graduated and started playing again and my entire body was just wrecked the first few times. It's amazing how many different muscles hockey uses.

Nowadays I only feel it cardio-wise if I take a week or two off but the rest of my body is usually fine. But whenever I take long extended breaks it's brutal.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ginette Reno posted:

Nowadays I only feel it cardio-wise if I take a week or two off but the rest of my body is usually fine. But whenever I take long extended breaks it's brutal.

I rarely get body soreness from hockey. Same as you just cardio when it's been a while.

I should asterisk my back gets sore sometimes but thats just because my back is screwed.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Thanks for the update

Alright, the camp.

As a goalie... I think it could use some work at the upper levels. I had a great coach, but there wasn't any program set for improvement. And a lot of the shooting drills were just being a obstacle for the shooter rather than a goalie. There was one drill I've taken away from it though that I'll give to the coaches down here.

As a skater, I think the camp's pretty good at all levels. Lot of good concepts and drills to implement good habits. Emphasis was on offense, there weren't any defensive concepts taught, fuckton of cross-crease stuff that league play would pick up but the camp didn't address defensively.

Jensen stayed with the lower level folk, all the coaches in the upper level were pretty good.

Get the upgrades for an apartment or cabin though, the dorm mattresses are pretty much random wood planks with toilet paper packed under a tarp.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

So out of the six goals against, how many did the refs cost you? :v:

3 out of 6 :ssh:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Lost in the championships last night in the 7th round of the shootout. I shot fourth and didn't score, fun game though! In my league they go all out for the championship, every lines up at center ice and they read off player names, and then they play the national anthem, it's pretty funny.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We won our championship game Tuesday night.
We were playing a team that we normally defeat pretty easily but they really came to play this week. They jumped ahead with a greasy goal from a rebound in front of the net. We eventually got another in. They went ahead yet again. We played catch up until the score was 2-3 with a few minutes left in the 3rd period when we finally tied it up. God our offense/wings were playing such terrible defense that it was one odd man rush after another just about every time the other team had possession. Everybody had a full tank of gas and pedal to the metal when we had the puck but coasted as slow as one could possibly go on the back check. It killed us. We went into overtime where neither team had great chances. We go into a shootout. We chose to shoot last. I really wanted to shoot and was chosen to shoot last. I could tell my teammate really wanted it and he has a lethal shot so I told him to go number 5, I would take 6 if it keeps going.

Round 1 - Nobody scores
Round 2 - They miss, we score
Round 3 - Nobody scores
Round 4 - They Score, we miss

Round 5 comes up and we're watching the other team shoot. They miss. A goal from us wins the game. I tell him to go 5 hole and not overhandle the puck because all of our skaters were having trouble with the condition of the ice. All of our shooters also tried to out deke the goalie and went high on him. He has a great glove and good side to side but was leaving his 5 hole wide open. Our skater takes off, goes a little wide and comes back in to get the goalie to slide and he slams it 5 hole for the win. It was pretty epic.

It was cool but it felt a whole lot less fun than the first time I won a championship years ago. Our captain brought on a few ringers this season and it cheapened it a bit. They are really cool guys and great in the locker room but they simply shouldn't have been in our division.
We got some glass mugs that I will likely never use. After the game, it sounds like myself and 2 of my closest teammates will be jumping ship to another team. We all want to play div 4 and be on a team with a tighter group of skill and a captain who isn't completely clueless as to the fundamentals of hockey.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

Alright, the camp.

As a goalie... I think it could use some work at the upper levels. I had a great coach, but there wasn't any program set for improvement. And a lot of the shooting drills were just being a obstacle for the shooter rather than a goalie. There was one drill I've taken away from it though that I'll give to the coaches down here.

As a skater, I think the camp's pretty good at all levels. Lot of good concepts and drills to implement good habits. Emphasis was on offense, there weren't any defensive concepts taught, fuckton of cross-crease stuff that league play would pick up but the camp didn't address defensively.

Jensen stayed with the lower level folk, all the coaches in the upper level were pretty good.

Get the upgrades for an apartment or cabin though, the dorm mattresses are pretty much random wood planks with toilet paper packed under a tarp.

After a week's wait, this is all we get?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No specifics of drills or anything that could help anyone. A fart in the wind.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If anyone would like to join me in minute gear details chat: I've been skating on a 5/8 hollow for a while now, but forgot to ask for it last night and so I'm back on a 1/2. Almost wiped on my first weak-side stop but after that it feels much better, I can stop faster, my blades don't slip out on crossovers as easily, transitions feel a bit easier.

I also switched from an E7 curve to an E3 (my wife ordered it but they sent her the wrong hand so I snagged it) and it's pretty good. Easier to get shots up high in close and I feel like I have a bit more control of the puck on my stick. Made a couple nice moves at shinny last night to get around guys and scored a nice goal up high short side.

I've played 8 games since last Friday and I think I need a break.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

No specifics of drills or anything that could help anyone. A fart in the wind.

Team drills are illegal in beer league, sorry.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

prom candy posted:

every lines up at center ice and they read off player names, and then they play the national anthem, it's pretty funny.

This is incredible.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah it owns. If the game goes to shoot out they also don't have time to drag it out so both teams are shooting at once, it's a sight to behold and even more fun/crazy to take part in. Especially because we're all so, so bad at hockey.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

One similar drill I've had coaches run on the 40+ never-ever crowd is similar to this, but done in open ice and really seemed to help a lot of people. Get in a low position with both skates parallel, squat even lower, and lift one foot, turn it 180 degrees, and place it behind the other skate like you're doing a mohawk. Hold that for a few seconds then bring the second foot around to complete the transition. It'll start to get easy fast, but do it for a few minutes.

Then once you think you got it, do the exact same thing while moving slowly. Just keep in mind that it's three distinct motions.. flip a foot and put it behind you, glide briefly, lift the second foot and finish the transition.

As you get faster that middle glide will start to disappear and it turns into a clean (and most importantly, silent) hop from one foot to the other. Ice scraping noise means you're losing speed, so being quiet means you're getting faster.

It took an entire Summer of hugging the wall and doing these, but I think I've finally got the transition down. :toot:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

prom candy posted:

Yeah it owns. If the game goes to shoot out they also don't have time to drag it out so both teams are shooting at once, it's a sight to behold and even more fun/crazy to take part in. Especially because we're all so, so bad at hockey.

I played in a league in Northern Colorado that did this. It's crazy. I didn't know anyone else did this.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Bradf0rd posted:

I played in a league in Northern Colorado that did this. It's crazy. I didn't know anyone else did this.

We did that for a few late games this summer.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hockey monkey has good clearance sale on right now. i managed to get BLACK gloves for the first time in about 10 years and a new stick for under $200.

also why the gently caress is there a $350 hockey helmet

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It'd be a shame if you got a concussion from not spending $350 on a helmet.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Fell backward on the ice in a sub $350 player helmet. I'm pretty sure I had a concussion. Dizzy, headache, etc. Scared the poo poo out of me.
I wish I had spent (closer to) $350 on it.
Alternatively, took a puck straight to the face in my $350+ goalie bucket. Felt nothing.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

A helmet is one of the few pieces of gear where the uptick in price is worth it. That said, I embrace the void by rocking a $50 piece of garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Jonathan Fisk posted:

A helmet is one of the few pieces of gear where the uptick in price is worth it. That said, I embrace the void by rocking a $50 piece of garbage

In what capacity? Comfort?