Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

You guys don't actually unmount/remount tires on the same wheels twice a year do you??

If they're on a second set of wheels changing them out is a 20 minute 1-man job.

And if you're an apartment-dweller, not confident enough in your mechanical skills to invest in tools, or value time more than money, you can get it done by professionals in about as much time (and they'll apparently store your tires for you in some places).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
AWD/4WD doesn't help you stop any faster though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

As my old man used to say "4WD? Just means you get bogged twice as quick"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KakerMix posted:

As a kid in VT I always enjoyed looking at all the dumb gently caress BMW SUV drivers with CT and NJ plates mashed in to some trees at the side of the road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

And if you're an apartment-dweller, not confident enough in your mechanical skills to invest in tools, or value time more than money, you can get it done by professionals in about as much time (and they'll apparently store your tires for you in some places).

I don't know. Any time I go to the tire shop it turns into a massive time sink.

Also lol at the tire guy being anything approaching a professional.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

You Am I posted:

As my old man used to say "4WD? Just means you get bogged twice as quick"

i live in the land of upside down 4x4 pickups on bald as gently caress tires. its magical, in its own terrible way.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Dodge RAM Van was even worse, TBH. It very obviously was a 70s holdover and by the end was embarrassingly out of date.

The 199x 12-passenger Ram Van I occasionally used for my job on an air force base is the worst vehicle I've ever driven by a vast, gaping margin. :itwaspoo:

Anyway, what's the deal with Australia getting all the Stinger news? Details on the V6 trim levels: http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/kia-stinger-details-revealed-65007.html

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry, insulation has weight so it's not getting added.

They added like 100 lbs of various sound deadening measures between 2016 and 2017 and now it's the quietest car in the segment.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is there any reason why there aren't more AWD minivans?

I feel like more electrification will lead to more AWD minivans coming back as you can run an electric rear motorset without a driveshaft heading up front.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're leaving out additional maintenance, repair, and fuel costs over the life of your vehicle in your little analysis

also the tire people keep my tires for $200/year and change them over twice for that price

Well you're right there. Having never owned an AWD car I had no idea they were mechanical nightmare money pits. I've also never owned a car past 132k miles so I've never even experienced the cost of transmission/drivetrain issues. Out of curiosity, what maintenance is involved in AWD ownership vs. FWD?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

davebo posted:

Well you're right there. Having never owned an AWD car I had no idea they were mechanical nightmare money pits. I've also never owned a car past 132k miles so I've never even experienced the cost of transmission/drivetrain issues. Out of curiosity, what maintenance is involved in AWD ownership vs. FWD?

AWD cars are not mechanical money pits, Kyoon is exaggerating as he often does. You will take a slight MPG hit (usually 1 or 2 MPG city/hwy) and there are other mechanical components, e.g. differential and driveshaft involved.

Differentials aren't wear items but they can have issues like any moving drivetrain component, and they are lubricated with gear oil. Often the gear oil has no replacement interval, so that's up to you.

There is virtually no difference in maintenance required. I suppose if one of your tires is really worn or screwed up you can damage the differential, but that's very rare and they're designed with a tolerance.

Quattro :love:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 30, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They added like 100 lbs of various sound deadening measures between 2016 and 2017 and now it's the quietest car in the segment.
Oh no my ligthness :qq:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

AWD cars are not mechanical money pits, Kyoon is exaggerating as he often does. You will take a slight MPG hit (usually 1 or 2 MPG city/hwy) and there are other mechanical components, e.g. differential and driveshaft involved.

Differentials aren't wear items but they can have issues like any moving drivetrain component, and they are lubricated with gear oil. Often the gear oil has no replacement interval, so that's up to you.

There is virtually no difference in maintenance required. I suppose if one of your tires is really worn or screwed up you can damage the differential, but that's very rare and they're designed with a tolerance.

Quattro :love:

they aren't money pits but in your dumb cost analysis to pretend that there is no additional cost involved is amateurish

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davebo posted:

they're not really nightmare money pits but there are more points of failure and in particular Subaru AWD drivetrains are a bit sensitive to tires

Usually when poo poo starts to go wrong with the center diff in a Subaru it's time to put her down

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Usually when poo poo starts to go wrong with the center diff in a Subaru it's time to put her down

Uh no not really, if I with my limited mechanical abilities can remove and reinstall the center diff in my driveway then there's no reason that a center diff problem is a death sentence dude

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Well I do it and it's absolutely no problem! Like a half-hour job twice a year what's the big deal?

*looks at stack of tires in corner that have nowhere else to sit that I've converted into a very lovely-looking lampstand*

it's good that those are there; I love it

Still less of a pain than going to a tire shop and having them do it I guess and I can abide the ... car-themed decor

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stevobob posted:

Uh no not really, if I with my limited mechanical abilities can remove and reinstall the center diff in my driveway then there's no reason that a center diff problem is a death sentence dude

on a car you like and care about

on a 200k mile stock Legacy, probably not

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
AWD is good at making bad drivers feel like good ones so i guess that's a good thing right

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I think a lot of people are succumbing to AI bias yet again. The AVERAGE CONSUMER is not going to keep a spare set of tires in their living room, nor are they going to swap a center differential on their Subaru. They'll take it to a dealer when it makes a funny noise, get some highball quote and either trade it in or take it to a cheaper mechanic who gives them a more reasonable quote. If there truly are places that'll store your winter tires for you that sounds like a great option, and if I'm totally incorrect and more people are actually putting winter tires on FWD vehicles than just buying awd and driving around on bald all-seasons like I see all the drat time then I'd love if consumer reports or something would do a study so I could see numbers on that. As for now my gut feeling is that consumers will continue to view awd as that magic option they absolutely need because they get a few inches of snow twice a year and it'll keep their precious children safe.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

davebo posted:

I think a lot of people are succumbing to AI bias yet again. The AVERAGE CONSUMER is not going to keep a spare set of tires in their living room, nor are they going to swap a center differential on their Subaru. They'll take it to a dealer when it makes a funny noise, get some highball quote and either trade it in or take it to a cheaper mechanic who gives them a more reasonable quote. If there truly are places that'll store your winter tires for you that sounds like a great option, and if I'm totally incorrect and more people are actually putting winter tires on FWD vehicles than just buying awd and driving around on bald all-seasons like I see all the drat time then I'd love if consumer reports or something would do a study so I could see numbers on that. As for now my gut feeling is that consumers will continue to view awd as that magic option they absolutely need because they get a few inches of snow twice a year and it'll keep their precious children safe.

If I lived somewhere RWD and summer tires didn't work year-round and enjoy caring about my car this would probably be me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

Kind of a shame as I think people putting snow tires on (don't some countries require it?) would prevent a hell of a lot more accidents than the AWD obsession. AWD won't save you if you go into a corner too fast, it won't help you stop. I think people really do think it's magic in general though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davebo posted:

I certainly agree that the average consumer feels that AWD is the solution but it's lamentably wasteful, that's all.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The average consumer also doesn't seem to understand drivetrain maintenance, at least judging by the people I know that went from Hondas to Subarus or Audis.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's why the term "lifetime fluid" exists.

when the fluid is worn, the transmission fails, and you buy a new car.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In unrelated news, Kia is bringing a new concept to Frankfurt.

:dong:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:crossarms:

Go on...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

What I don't understand is that this cool rear end wagon is supposed to be a wagon variant of the Cee'd? Which I really only know from the Top Gear star in a reasonably priced car segment, so I'm assuming it's FWD with fairly anemic power?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

davebo posted:

What I don't understand is that this cool rear end wagon is supposed to be a wagon variant of the Cee'd? Which I really only know from the Top Gear star in a reasonably priced car segment, so I'm assuming it's FWD with fairly anemic power?

Oh, that makes me considerably less excited about it. Once it gets bludgeoned by the bean counters and manufacturing engineers to look and cost like a Cee'd it'll be snoooooooze.

Too bad it's not a wagon variant of the Stinger.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

When you look that good you don't need to be fast.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Question: how can we, non-car people, be expected to understand drivetrain maintenance when it is literally not mentioned in the manual or service schedule in most cases?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Guinness posted:

Oh, that makes me considerably less excited about it. Once it gets bludgeoned by the bean counters and manufacturing engineers to look and cost like a Cee'd it'll be snoooooooze.

Too bad it's not a wagon variant of the Stinger.

That's what I assume will happen. I just don't know why they bother designing an awesome concept that's not going to look anything like the production model due to costs. That's one thing I really liked about the Camaro and Challenger is that they figured out what was doable beforehand and then all they had to do was put the concepts into production that way. Super cool ideas that just end up being poo poo are like the automotive equivalent of fan fiction.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Michael Scott posted:

Question: how can we, non-car people, be expected to understand drivetrain maintenance when it is literally not mentioned in the manual or service schedule in most cases?

It is? All of my cars owners manuals mention it and they are 2wd Manual cars.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I've owned like 4 cars and never seen it mentioned. What does that mean, lubricating seals etc.? Or do you mean inspecting struts and rubber bushings? I wasn't counting inspections.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Michael Scott posted:

The manufacturer's/dealer's ideal level of understanding for people to have of maintenance is something like:

1) Go to dealer.
2) Give them money
3) No, more than that
4) See you next year

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Cars are so ridiculously expensive compared to most goods that I'd think a manufacturer including solid details on maintenance (say, a free service manual in the glovebox) could be a selling point.

Even in today's disposal culture, I feel like cars are expensive enough that it would be marketable.

For my Audi in the manual under changing headlight bulbs it only says "Because of the complexity of this job, please bring the vehicle to the dealer service department." Not kidding. It doesn't require dropping the bumper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah cause you probably have to pull the stupid rear end bumper off to remove the headlight

a lot of wear items are going to be caught by regular inspection of the car as a whole, or you wait till something goes wrong.

most of the time these companies aren't going to know and maintain a list of comprehensive failure rates for things like seals, struts, bushings because it really depends on driving conditions and the fact that there are variances in how well parts are manufactured, assembled and maintained.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Michael Scott posted:

Cars are so ridiculously expensive compared to most goods that I'd think a manufacturer including solid details on maintenance (say, a free service manual in the glovebox) could be a selling point.

Even in today's disposal culture, I feel like cars are expensive enough that it would be marketable.

For my Audi in the manual under changing headlight bulbs it only says "Because of the complexity of this job, please bring the vehicle to the dealer service department." Not kidding. It doesn't require dropping the bumper.

I had a 2003 Nissan Altima and it said the same thing. It isn't new.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are there any new cars that don't tell you when maintenance is due?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fknlo posted:

Are there any new cars that don't tell you when maintenance is due?

There can't be if money is made on service. The car screaming that you have to go spend money at it at the dealership is probably at the top of the design requirements for a new model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davebo posted:

The Cee'd is a Golf, basically. I like the blatant ripoff of DS3 sharkfin.