Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HIJK posted:

Every time we talk about style someone just recommends The Elements of Style and then the conversation collapses. No one wants to talk about the tiny author foibles, or how different people have different sentence construction habits, or the kind of plot elements different authors gravitate to.

:frogon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

"Read Hemingway."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

For example: I use a lot of commas to use sub clauses that extend sentences past their due date. I also tend to use the word "tend" and other similar weasel words because I "prefer" to "imply" "concepts" instead of outright stating facts or certainties. I also have wordy sentences as opposed to short and simple declarations. This is useful to pad college essays but it's a chore to read in prose.

I also use "I" a lot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HIJK posted:

For example: I use a lot of commas to use sub clauses that extend sentences past their due date. I also tend to use the word "tend" and other similar weasel words because I "prefer" to "imply" "concepts" instead of outright stating facts or certainties. I also have wordy sentences as opposed to short and simple declarations. This is useful to pad college essays but it's a chore to read in prose.

I also use "I" a lot.

Yeah it's tricky because all of those things I'd call out as flaws, while acknowledging that they can be a feature of excellent prose. And talking about it in the abstract isn't always that helpful so you tend to land on truisms like 'removing unnecessary words makes prose better' whcih is as the dock implies is a straight route to Ernest H.

Personally I tend to over metaphor - when I have a sweet rear end image or simile I need to go back and pare down the language around it so it lands properly. I like to make my movement verbs as vivid as reasonably possible to create excitement and movement in the prose. I sometimes have a particular mode of speaking in my head when writing (e.g. old kiwi guy, and vaguely east european person) and I think I assume that the reader can hear that voice too, which isn't a given. I like a well chosen adverb for all I rag on them.

Ultimately style 'rules' are there to follow until you choose not to, at which point you doff them like a smoke-blackened frock coat.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I was talking with a fellow writer last month about style and prose, and we got in an interesting discussion concerning how in some cases, more descriptive language (as long as it's precise and not totally superfluous) can actually make prose "flow" faster for a reader. I can't remember the exact book my friend used as an example (I think it was a horror novel), but he was basically pointing out how some book was pretty sparse in descriptive language until a really tense and fast-moving scene, where subtly amping up the sensory details increased how "fast" the scene felt while actually being quite a bit longer than you'd think while reading it. Wish I could remember what he used as an example.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
thank you for the advice. i agree i am probably overthinking things especially as i haven't yet put pen to paper and once i start to get some words down hopefully things will flow more organically

i didn't mean to start a whole debate about genre fiction its just to me most genre fiction is written in a generic style though i don't mean this in a derogatory manner (a lot of literary fiction is written this way too). i was hoping to use style as a means of complementing and reinforcing the themes discussed in my novel in such a way that maybe a painter would use a certain style of brushwork to create their work. i think writing a genre novel in a dense or abstract style would be a bad choice if your primary aim to to tell a story

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I guess I'm just a simple country writer without any of that fancy city book lernin' on account of I don't quite get what you mean there. Can you give me a more concrete example?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yes, please describe in detail the generic style that straddles mystery, science fiction, fantasy, romance, and any other genres included in genre fiction.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Yes, please describe in detail the generic style that straddles mystery, science fiction, fantasy, romance, and any other genres included in genre fiction.

its got nouns and verbs

hosed up, imo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

anime was right posted:

its got nouns and verbs

hosed up, imo

if literary fiction has transcended nouns and verbs I gotta read more of it

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

it's just all articles, adjectives, adverbs and prepositions now.

"A happily, cheery polkadotted around. Red, blue. The godly ghostly underneath."

-a famous book, probably

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ketchup vs catsup posted:

literary fiction is a genre just like all those other genres you listed. in fact none of them are really genres at all, they're more like marketing terms

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

when i say generic style i mean in the usual descriptive narrative sense. sentences and paragraphs are used to describe the action, what things look like, character motivations and emotions. the text creates a space for the action to take place and then describes it. but the emotional response of the reader is always drawn from what the text is describing. i was hoping to write the text in such a way that the text itself could help illicit that emotional response

to give an example: krasznahorkai's the melancholy of resistance deals with an apocalyptic scenario that puts the novels characters in dangerous situations beyond their control. the build up is slow but unrelenting and krasznahorkai's prose is written in a similarly brutal and unrelenting stream of consciousness style. like the events in the novel, the text has a continuous momentum with sentences that run for pages and paragraphs for entire chapters helping to instill a sense of panic and paranoia as the reader is not given any chance to stop or slow down or even pause for breath being dragged along by text and left just as helpless and vulnerable to malicious forces as the characters themselves

it's not my intention to write something so obviously dense and obtuse, but i at least wanted to attempt to recreate the effect somewhat

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah, the thing you're describing is just like good writing, which isn't something that's specific to literary fiction. There is a lot of poorly written genre fiction, but there is plenty of well-written genre fiction too.

Anyway my advice there is still the same, style is something to worry about once you're going back and editing your drafts so don't let it be the thing that stops you from putting words on the page.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

crabrock posted:

"A happily, cheery polkadotted around. Red, blue. The godly ghostly underneath."

-a famous book, probably

Jesus Christ, somebody get this man a Nobel Prize for Style

fridge corn posted:

it's not my intention to write something so obviously dense and obtuse

then maybe reconsider your posting style hahahahahahah

Extremely good jokes aside, I do see your point. I think it's fair to say that you do come across less experimental prose in genre than you do in 'literary' fiction, but only because people have a tendency to put anything that seems experimental in the literary bucket even if it has elements that would put it under genre. For example, some people think of The Metamorphosis as literary fiction, but it's still a story about a man turning into a bug. A lot of this stuff comes down to both the perspective of the reader and the perspective of the current generation in the publishing community.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 30, 2017

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Yeah, I was wondering how Lovecraft's style, love it or hate it, was generic.

You don't develop a style without writing. Even the breakneck, breathless, stream-of-consciousness style you referenced wasn't pulled out of thin air. The guy practiced and honed that, likely through multiple drafts. Stop making excuses and get writing.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

crabrock posted:

-a famous book, probably

this is the most literary of fiction.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

thanks for the replies. i am eager to get writing its just difficult now cuz i don't even own a computer atm, we're in the middle of moving house and everything got completely hosed up and im stuck at my aunts place with my things all packed away in boxes for god knows how long. its frustrating 😤

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
See what you can do with the back of a receipt. Surprisingly versatile those little receipts.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
There's a lot of back-to-school stuff on sale. Go pick up a notebook from the dollar store for cheap.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've written about six or seven short (3-6k word, hard to tell for sure) stories in notebooks. I think it's actually valuable to try that every once in a while. Sometimes the restrictions of writing stuff out by hand will slow you down enough that it'll change how you think through prose as you're writing it.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I wrote the first few pages of my first book on a pad of paper from the office. I've also typed out chapters on my phone. Neither method is exactly fun, but both are better than not writing at all.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I've typed many-a-page on my phone's note function before. Technically a computer!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there are professional writers that type slower than you use a phone

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Carve your stylistic magnum opus into the side of a historic building using a swiss army knife.

Or don't, just don't use not having a computer as an excuse not to write. There is literally nothing that is as helpful as writing. Speaking as someone who has had false-starts on multiple books, I'm finally just forcing myself to finish a novel and not give a poo poo about quality or prose or structure and it's kind of amazing. Painful, I admit, but I can literally see my writing improving over time. Not to mention I'm learning what questions to ask myself, and being more aware of how published writers approach the problems I'm having.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean if I didn't have a computer I wouldn't be able to write, but that's more of a physical thing.

Hypotonia and rheumatoid arthritis for the win!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I write nearly all my first drafts by hand, including 40+ short stories and 1.5 novels so far. Writing by hand has the added benefit of providing a natural editing step as I type up my notes.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
I don't tend to write stories by hand because I press too hard with the pen/cil and my hand cramps up, but I will write notes. I carry around a notebook explicitly for this purpose. It's really handy for when I take a walk to clear my head and come up with some interesting idea or thoughts I want to pursue later in my writing or stories.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

okay i started scribbling things in a notebook. this is fun

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Started writing the second book

And oh God it's going to be so much longer than the first book Oh God

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
you all write like shitass balls and one day your novels will float out to sea and be lost

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

the old ceremony posted:

you all write like shitass balls and one day your novels will float out to sea and be lost

In that case I will lend you my "shift," "spacebar," and "period" keys since they'll be wasted on me and surely you are in need of them.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

the old ceremony posted:

Hell, that's honestly better than I was expecting.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

the old ceremony posted:

so what you're saying is that I'm going to finish several novels

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

neongrey posted:

so what you're saying is that I'm going to finish several novels

...and have a very creative marketing team.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lost stories are better than the ones you can actively read anyways

Anything could happen in a lost story

More mythic that way

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Burkion posted:

Lost stories are better than the ones you can actively read anyways

Anything could happen in a lost story

More mythic that way

Anything can happen in a story that's written like shitass balls

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Balls so big my rear end shittin on em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my God my second book is going to be so long

loving Christ I'm 30 pages in and I haven't even reached sentence five of my five page outline

I am so excited let's go