Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

please do not disparage me, an ordained minister of service dog blessing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh you're right service dogs actually aren't federally regulated and in fact you're not legally allowed to ask for proof that they're "valid" service animals

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

horses suck

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

emotional support animals are also a real actual thing that helps real actual people with real actual problems so don't assume that everyone's just some weird rear end in a top hat who wants to bring their Pomeranian into wal mart or whatever

"emotional support animals" were literally not a thing 10 years ago, they're called pets

requiring your dog to be with you where ever you go and imposing it on others in public spaces is a modern rear end in a top hat phenomenon and should never be tolerated or accommodated

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
*looks at fellow shoppers shopping cart and sees Ben & Jerrys and a Pomeranian*

YOU PIECE OF loving poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fits my needs posted:

*looks at fellow shoppers shopping cart and sees Ben & Jerrys and a Pomeranian*

YOU PIECE OF loving poo poo

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Cerv posted:

Then at least mention him in your exit interview later

Yeah that's pretty much the best I'm going to be able to do. This company is filled with elderly mechanical engineers with...opinions... so even if HR made him sign the formal apology paperwork and promise to be a good boy I would be the one getting punished my last few weeks here.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

"emotional support animals" were literally not a thing 10 years ago, they're called pets

requiring your dog to be with you where ever you go and imposing it on others in public spaces is a modern rear end in a top hat phenomenon and should never be tolerated or accommodated

they've been a thing at least since the 90's, i remember hearing about them growing up. and the idea of a therapeutic dog has been around much longer (taking dogs to meet old people at nursing homes, for example) :shrug:

if the dog is being disruptive or making GBS threads everywhere you're allowed to kick it out of your business according to the ADA, and a dog just being quiet and minding its own business doesn't really seem to be that much of an rear end in a top hat phenomenon to me

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
california specifically has dumb state laws that make it harder to boot all sorts of claimed needed animals.

federal law says the service animal, which is defined as a dog or miniature horse incidentally, so you can't demand access for say a cat or whatev, has to be under the person's control at all times and the person and animal can be booted if the animal is not kept under control.

also though the business can't demand credentials at the time the person attempts to enter with a animal, they're usually good to block access if they don't believe it's a valid service animal, and then the customer would have to sue over it and successfully prove their dumb yappy dog was a valid service animal in court, which they wouldn't be able to do because it's not trained to do anything.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

In Europe you can usually take your dog into restaurants as long as it's muzzled but the dogs over there seemed to be much more well-behaved on average.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

everyone takes their dogs everywhere in Seattle. Its fine, stop being a loving baby

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ADINSX posted:

everyone takes their dogs everywhere in Seattle. Its fine, stop being a loving baby

same except southern california

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

is telling a celebrity or some rich rear end in a top hat no worth your service job

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

except none of these rear end in a top hat have them on leashes so just run into the street whenever they want

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I have massive dog allergies to the point where I swell up bad and have respiratory problems with certain kinds of dogs in proximity to me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

"Don't be a loving baby," I yell toughly at a child as his peanut allergy kills him.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

they've been a thing at least since the 90's, i remember hearing about them growing up. and the idea of a therapeutic dog has been around much longer (taking dogs to meet old people at nursing homes, for example) :shrug:

if the dog is being disruptive or making GBS threads everywhere you're allowed to kick it out of your business according to the ADA, and a dog just being quiet and minding its own business doesn't really seem to be that much of an rear end in a top hat phenomenon to me

yes let's burden the minimum wage workers to now police everyone's making GBS threads pets to determine whether or not they're "real" service animals instead of just not allowing them unless they're for the blind, etc like what went without saying before people starting being terrible

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure a lot of this can be blamed on california; they have stronger healthy and safety codes wrt to restaurants and not allowing any animals in them unless they're service animals

so of course people got into ~hacking~ that right away; same with disabled placards -- tons of them in SF are issued to people with no disabilities

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

yes let's burden the minimum wage workers to now police everyone's making GBS threads pets to determine whether or not they're "real" service animals instead of just not allowing them unless they're for the blind, etc like what went without saying before people starting being terrible

this is definitely the intended message of that post

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

idk what policing you're talking about here, the previous setup was already policing and is still how things work in most of the country,

lancemantis posted:

i'm pretty sure a lot of this can be blamed on california; they have stronger healthy and safety codes wrt to restaurants and not allowing any animals in them unless they're service animals

uh no, california specifically has laws that give way more leeway to allow animals in all over the place. just like california specifically has laws that gently caress up property taxes entirely.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have massive dog allergies

"Don't be a loving baby," I yell toughly at a child as his peanut allergy kills him.

same and same :hfive:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fishmech posted:

idk what policing you're talking about here, the previous setup was already policing and is still how things work in most of the country,

before very recently, people didn't even bother to try to bring their pets with them into stores/restaurants because it was both socially unacceptable, and just not allow except if you're loving blind

now people feel emboldened to try to bring their dogs where ever they want because there's enough critical mass of people always doing it that the burden has shifted to having to police it on a case by case basis instead of people not trying to begin with

even if it's loving unsanitary as hell and possibly against health codes, the overworked waiter trying to serve 50 people in the outdoor section of a restaurant probably doesn't want to have his 10th fight of the day with some jackass trying to eat with their dog in a public setting and lets it slide

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

before very recently, people didn't even bother to try to bring their pets with them into stores/restaurants because it was both socially unacceptable, and just not allow except if you're loving blind

now people feel emboldened to try to bring their dogs where ever they want because there's enough critical mass of people always doing it that the burden has shifted to having to police it on a case by case basis instead of people not trying to begin with

even if it's loving unsanitary as hell and possibly against health codes, the overworked waiter trying to serve 50 people in the outdoor section of a restaurant probably doesn't want to have his 10th fight of the day with some jackass trying to eat with their dog in a public setting and lets it slide

no, there were seizure dogs and dogs for people who were in wheelchairs and other dogs like that. they were usually pretty easy to figure out they were legit, because the dog was actually trained and not a freaked out bark machine

this is not a trend that's all over the place, and is biggest in california. you hardly ever see this poo poo happening in like boston or nyc or philly. california has specific laws that make it harder for businesses to refuse service.

again, just as in the past the waiter can just say "hey get that dog out of here" unless the place they're in specifically passed laws making that harder, and it works out fine. just like they tell someone who shows up without a shirt or shoes on to get out of the store. its simple and easy.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

SFO has a therapy pig and she's very nice.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fishmech posted:

this is not a trend that's all over the place, and is biggest in california.

ive seen people walk or push toy breed dogs in their own carriage in the grocery store on multiple occasions in the dc area

my friend who saw the person getting rejected from boarding a flight with a tiny dog was at DCA

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ive seen people walk or push toy breed dogs in their own carriage in the grocery store on multiple occasions in the dc area

my friend who saw the person getting rejected from boarding a flight with a tiny dog was at DCA

it's kind of the point of those tiny dogs that they get dragged around like that. if they're in some carriage or something they're not running around causing havoc.

dog was rejected, problem solved

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

maybe you should get some kind of therapy dog to deal with the stress of seeing people bring their dogs into stores

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ADINSX posted:

counterpoint: gently caress you and gently caress your dog, if i wanted to eat around a filthy loving mongrel i'd have lunch with your mom.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fishmech posted:

it's kind of the point of those tiny dogs that they get dragged around like that. if they're in some carriage or something they're not running around causing havoc.

dog was rejected, problem solved

lol

this is my favorite fishmech take yet

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
here's a pro-tip we use. we call the restaurant and ask if they have a patio and is it okay to bring a dog?

and they tell us on the phone if it's okay. it works out pretty well. a lot of places are like "heck yeah bring your dog" and then the dog gets a little takeout container filled with ice water if it's hot.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

muckswirler posted:

SFO has a therapy pig and she's very nice.

the sj airport has therapy robots, i guess

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

here's a pro-tip we use. we call the restaurant and ask if they have a patio and is it okay to bring a dog?

and they tell us on the phone if it's okay. it works out pretty well. a lot of places are like "heck yeah bring your dog" and then the dog gets a little takeout container filled with ice water if it's hot.

i gotta remember to walk mine to shake shack when the weather cools down

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

An ex of mine had roommates that they had fake-certified as emotional support animals for their apartment

They would leave them alone for weeks at a time and pick them up by the tail :(

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

emotional support animals are also a real actual thing that helps real actual people with real actual problems so don't assume that everyone's just some weird rear end in a top hat who wants to bring their Pomeranian into wal mart or whatever

i mean most probably are but still

they are ruining it for everyone else and it is apparently real easy to get a totally bs 'certification' from the internet

small dogs are generally garbo anyway

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Not a Children posted:

An ex of mine had roommates that they had fake-certified as emotional support animals for their apartment

They would leave them alone for weeks at a time and pick them up by the tail :(

It really seems up to the roommates if they're going to put up with that sort of thing from your ex. Maybe they were lifestyle subs?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

I have massive dog allergies to the point where I swell up bad and have respiratory problems with certain kinds of dogs in proximity to me.

some people just werent meant for this world

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dislike button posted:

small dogs are generally garbo anyway

Except for beagles, corgis, english bulldogs, dachshunds, and mixed-breed smalls substantially consisting of one or more of these these breed-components, IAWTP.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 30, 2017

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ParisHilton/status/901082063922769921

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Full Communism Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster