Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Rinkles posted:

That's what I was thinking.

(isn't the latest consensus that the T-Rex didn't have feathers or barely any?)

Latest prevaling opinion (but not a full consensus) is that yes, if the really large Theropod dinosaurs had feathers there probably weren't too too many of them. Like maybe a big flamboyant crest of feathers and on some joints, but scaly or smooth-skinned otherwise. How we imagine T-Rex is still likely completely wrong, though, because very few artistic depictions of it fail to take into account things like body fat. It coulda been a giant scaly pigeon, as far as we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Abrupt Decay is a card that exists, and having the type Merfolk in a Merfolk deck is incredibly relevant.

1-mana removal is multiple cards, each existing in larger numbers than abrupt decay. I also don't give a poo poo that it's a merfolk because I can just ignore it and kill your lords.

I understand it maybe as a hedge against uninteractive decks where you just want the extra damage, but the card is much worse than kira in the matchups where you actually want it

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Autism Sneaks posted:

e: lol if loving smoothbrain TheKingofSprings thinks he can dunk on someone else's card eval I know I walk the righteous path, now where's mcmagic to disagree with me too

Okay, there is one card it can interact with that Kira can't, but AD for 4 isn't back-breaking coming from a 3-drop, and still isn't as broadly useful as a free counter for any of your creatures that includes triggered abilities. Having creature type Merfolk doesn't push it above the Kira threshold either because you're trading built-in flying for just the possibility of Islandwalk and a small P/T buff, or even more marginally a Reejerey trigger.

Also, who cares because EDH is the only format worth playing, and Kira's awesome in that and Merfolk are decidedly not awesome in EDH.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

OgreNoah posted:

Also, who cares because EDH is the only format worth playing

I said some dumb things willingly and in jest as a gimmick poster but holy poo poo this is the wrongest post I've ever seen

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm told from everyone that Temur is great vs Mono Red... However I playtested around 15 games of Temur vs Red and got my head smashed in.... Weird.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The only thing worse than EDH is fog effects.

Draft is the only true format.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I've won more than a handful of games against affinity on the fact that Kira was able to block the Lethal/2 ornithopter. Flying is good.

That said, being able to cast the new guy off of Cavern of Souls is pretty clutch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like this is a card that requires playing and testing before totally dismissing it. :iiam:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Tainen posted:

I'm about to trigger

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Hmm yes, the 2/2 legendary with no flying and worse ability, but same CMC is totally better than Kira because sometimes it's a 3/3 or even a 4/4 :jerkbag: Any time you would want to use Kopala, the only reason you shouldn't be using Kira is because you're too poor to. This set is going to have zero worthwhile Merfolk for Modern and it's going to make me loving miserable until the next set

Can you Vapor Snag your dudes with Kira out? Is Kira unblockable 90% of the time? This guy is a good alternative.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Balon posted:

Can you Vapor Snag your dudes with Kira out? Is Kira unblockable 90% of the time? This guy is a good alternative.

While you got me on the first, I just haven't run snags in months and didn't consider it, just :laffo: to your second point. Against the majority of decks, you have to jump through hoops to bring your Islandwalk to bear, whereas Flying is more often unchallenged in Modern. Not that you usually bring Kira for the Flying, but it's there.

I'm not saying that the Merfolk dude is unplayable, but it just isn't competing for spots with Kira.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tainen posted:

Angus Mackenzie is nearly a hundo but he combines both of those into one card.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Angus Mackenzie is nearly a hundo but he combines both of those into one card.

There is a guy at my LGS playing this deck every week. It's so dumb.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Tainen posted:

There is a guy at my LGS playing this deck every week. It's so dumb.

Why is it any dumber than any of the grognard EDH decks that rush to their infinite combo wincon on turn 6?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

Why is it any dumber than any of the grognard EDH decks that rush to their infinite combo wincon on turn 6?

Oh don't get me wrong. EDH is a bad format for bad people.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

I've said it before and I'll say it again, EDH is the best format if and only if you have a dedicated play group

I have 4 buddies who I've known for years and we design all our decks at once to be roughly level in power, no stupid infinite combos and heavy restrictions on tutors and extra turn shenanigans and it is extremely baller

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I feel like this is a card that requires playing and testing before totally dismissing it. :iiam:

Get out of here with your reasonable opinion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Because it plays a lot of fogs, duh.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, EDH is the best format if and only if you have a dedicated play group

I have 4 buddies who I've known for years and we design all our decks at once to be roughly level in power, no stupid infinite combos and heavy restrictions on tutors and extra turn shenanigans and it is extremely baller

If you're relying on house rules to fix a format, it's not a good format. :colbert:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The alternative is often a completely stalled board state with 3 players top decking on turn 17.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TVsVeryOwn posted:

If you're relying on house rules to fix a format, it's not a good format. :colbert:

Counterpoint- if you're not relying on house rules to craft a finely tuned "sit around drinking beer and bullshitting while playing a game with the boxes full of cards you haven't touched in a decade" format, you're doing it wrong

no rules no masters

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

But then you should just be cubing.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My group I play edh with sometimes all play pretty high power levels and no one gets upset when someone combos and wins so maybe the problem is the people you're playing with.

If someone shows a combo we just scoop em up and start another game, and it's still somehow fun and a good excuse to sit around chatting with friends?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I guess I shouldn't be shocked I ended up on Twin and my opponent literally doesn't know what Twin is, so I have to manually combo off.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

TVsVeryOwn posted:

True, but bad format + house rules is a format in itself that can be good.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

My group I play edh with sometimes all play pretty high power levels and no one gets upset when someone combos and wins so maybe the problem is the people you're playing with.

If someone shows a combo we just scoop em up and start another game, and it's still somehow fun and a good excuse to sit around chatting with friends?

My experience with playing edh at a store is that edh players is that they want to have their cake and eat it to. They want to play their casual home brew deck with a bunch of fun cards in it and they also want to win and get upset when they lose. Disrupting my combo is "anti-fun". Going off with your own combo first is "non-interactive." One of the problems with edh is that its players are generally people who tried to play standard and fell out, and decided that the issue was that people are too "competitive." Except "competitive" means "the deck which is presently beating me" and "casual" means "my deck," so they're constantly on the lookout for competitive players infiltrating their casual game and blame them for why they're not having fun anymore.

The best way to play edh with a stranger is to borrow their deck. That way, they either win, or see their own deck win. They can't get salty that way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My opinion of EDH is "just play a board game"

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Dr. Stab posted:

My experience with playing edh at a store is that edh players is that they want to have their cake and eat it to. They want to play their casual home brew deck with a bunch of fun cards in it and they also want to win and get upset when they lose. Disrupting my combo is "anti-fun". Going off with your own combo first is "non-interactive." One of the problems with edh is that its players are generally people who tried to play standard and fell out, and decided that the issue was that people are too "competitive." Except "competitive" means "the deck which is presently beating me" and "casual" means "my deck," so they're constantly on the lookout for competitive players infiltrating their casual game and blame them for why they're not having fun anymore.

The best way to play edh with a stranger is to borrow their deck. That way, they either win, or see their own deck win. They can't get salty that way.

Yeah I rarely play with random people. I will sometimes but usually only if at least one other person playing is someone I'm friends with. I've had mixed experiences playing with random people for the reasons you listed, someone always wants to complain about something. As a format to play with friends who all understand where each other is at in terms of expectations though, it's a lot of fun.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Sorry you fools don't like the best constructed format

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ZeroCount posted:

Sorry you fools don't like the best constructed format

None of them mentioned Mental Magic.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

None of them mentioned Mental Magic.

There's ways to play mental magic other than "stack of random cards"?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Momir Basic or bust

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Dr. Stab posted:

House rules are never, ever, ever good. They are always something that people think makes the game better but actually completely ruin it because they have no idea how game design works. The reason everyone hates playing Monopoly is because no one plays it right and makes up house rules like Free Parking which keeps all of the money in the game and it never ends.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GonSmithe posted:

House rules are never, ever, ever good. They are always something that people think makes the game better but actually completely ruin it because they have no idea how game design works. The reason everyone hates playing Monopoly is because no one plays it right and makes up house rules like Free Parking which keeps all of the money in the game and it never ends.

Monopoly is bad even if you play by the actual rules, it just ends faster

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Six? Why not two? EDH is a good palette cleanser to play in between heavy euro games, since it perfectly fits in the 15-30min time slot, but many other tiny games also fill that role.

The really confusing thing is that many of the complaints of EDH players wanting to build their multiplayer-solitaire engine with nobody attacking them and win can easily be alleviated by playing something like Caverna.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GonSmithe posted:

House rules can be good if the motivation isn't "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if-", but "This game is great except this one aspect of the game is really broken, if we put a rules band-aid on that then the game works perfectly."

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Six? Why not two? EDH is a good palette cleanser to play in between heavy euro games, since it perfectly fits in the 15-30min time slot, but many other tiny games also fill that role.

The really confusing thing is that many of the complaints of EDH players wanting to build their multiplayer-solitaire engine with nobody attacking them and win can easily be alleviated by playing something like Caverna.

Caverna's the loving worst. I'd rather play standard than Caverna ever again, and I really don't want to play standard.

House Rules can be good. I've got no EDH house rules, but we play Splendor to 21 instead of 15, which makes it was more interesting and makes people actually buy top row properties. That's the only house rule I can think of.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

This sounds awesome and I'm jealous and I can't believe people are giving you poo poo for having fun playing magic, as if it's against the rules or something.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

OgreNoah posted:

Caverna's the loving worst. I'd rather play standard than Caverna ever again, and I really don't want to play standard.

It is what it is and it's basically what group hug EDH players want. I love Caverna which is weird because all the other WP games I have are vicious things like Caylus and Argent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My favorite way to play Magic is reminiscing about my life when Magic wasn't a part of it.