Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

E: huffing vapor out of a big rear end plastic bag is inarguably the least cool looking way to get stoned
I actually think that's cooler looking than doing it out of an actual vaporizer. No one will ever see me use this thing in public, I look like an idiot. Like I'm sucking on an old Nokia flip phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I got an arizer and I can at least use the whip and pretend Im in some kind of cyberpunk hookah bar I can't imagine running around with a huge puffed up pouch tucked under my arm like some kind of stoner bagpipes

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Tendai posted:

I actually think that's cooler looking than doing it out of an actual vaporizer. No one will ever see me use this thing in public, I look like an idiot. Like I'm sucking on an old Nokia flip phone.

you look like you're using an e-cigarette which is worse

i prefer to just roll a joint and get the vapour that way, i don't think these machines are going to turn out to be as safe as people think they are in the long run

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
The Pax is the coolest looking vaporizer because you can hold it upsidedown between your fore and middle fingers just like a... a cigarette maybe? I'm not sure, I don't smoke. Anyway it just feels right.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

number one pta fan posted:

i prefer to just roll a joint and get the vapour that way, i don't think these machines are going to turn out to be as safe as people think they are in the long run

well you are getting smoke not vapor from a joint

what exactly do you think is unsafe about them? they just heat up liquid to a specific temperature

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Earwicker posted:

what exactly do you think is unsafe about them? they just heat up liquid to a specific temperature

somebody's never been waterboarded or drowned, inhaling liquid has never gone well for me

on a serious note i really think vaping in all forms is going to end up being more destructive than smoking long term

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Earwicker posted:

Is that popcorn lung thing I heard about from nicotine vapes a thing for weed vapes? I know it comes from the liquid, but I don't know how weed vapes work.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
there's so much brown stuff in the stem of my vape i'm surprised any even gets through, that cannot be good for my lungs

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The chemical associated with popcorn lung is a byproduct of the flavorings added to e-cig juice. The same chemical is present in much higher quantities in cigarette smoke, so you'd have to be a human fog machine for that to be a thing. Nevertheless, weed vaping is done by either heating bud to sub-combustion temperatures or boiling pure concentrates, so the flavoring stuff wouldn't be present.

If you've got honey gathering in the glass or metal parts of your vaporizer, congratulations! Scrape it and smoke/vape/eat it, it's basically heat distilled rosin :D

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

on a serious note i really think vaping in all forms is going to end up being more destructive than smoking long term

i do both so i dont really have a dog in the fight but I dont see how vaping thc is going to be "more destructive than smoking". Im not pretending its good for you or anything but ive been vaporizing weed for a long time and it certainly feels like it has less physical impact than smoking and dont seem to have done anything terrible to me yet

most of the bad poo poo you hear about vaping has to do with e-cigarettes not weed

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i do both so i dont really have a dog in the fight but I dont see how vaping thc is going to be "more destructive than smoking". Im not pretending its good for you or anything but ive been vaporizing weed for a long time and it certainly feels like it has less physical impact than smoking and dont seem to have done anything terrible to me yet

poo poo, if nothing else, it's way easier on my lungs. And it's so drat efficient, the nerd in me also delights in doing things in the most efficient manner. It's like optimizing a city builder, but for putting weed into my body.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also i just watched an episode of Chopped with a contestant who was clearly extremely high. he lost first round with some burned rear end chocolate covered cinnamon rolls, which did indeed look p gross, but i admired his attitude

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

To add to that popcorn lung thing: the specific chemical is diacetyl, and people who actually get popcorn lung are factory workers who are inhaling high concentrations of it all day. Regardless, when the info came out, there was a massive backlash against any company using diacetyl, and now no juice companies use it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

most of the bad poo poo you hear about vaping has to do with e-cigarettes not weed

also I'm not trying to turn this into an ecig thread or anything, god forbid, but all short-term info says that vaping is basically 100% safe from a physiological standpoint. It's totally possible that in 20 years it'll turn out that we all die of some crazy vape-lung disease, but up till now it's been all good news.

Most of the negativity comes from the vape bro stereotype thing, and idiots who leave unprotected batteries in their pockets with keys and spare change.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Vaping irritates my throat more than smoking

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

purple death ray posted:

I wish I was ok with tobacco just because blunts look so freaking cool

E: huffing vapor out of a big rear end plastic bag is inarguably the least cool looking way to get stoned

There are companies that sell blunt wraps made of hemp instead of tobacco.

Dispensaries around here have "patient appreciation days", which are days that vendors set up booths inside the dispensary and give away free samples / tell you about their products. The most recent one I went to had a young black guy at a booth giving away samples of hemp blunt wraps. When I came up to his booth, he raised an eyebrow at me a little bit and said "You smoke blunts?" (This is where I out myself to the thread as being a white, late-30's, minivan-driving mom, and I guess I probably look like it.) I said "There's a first time for everything" got a sample of said blunt wraps, then went home and had to watch Youtube videos to figure out how to roll a blunt with them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

We Know Catheters posted:

but how does it compare to sucking dick?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Depends on the dick I imagine

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

We Know Catheters posted:

this. makes me wheeze like crazy. i usually vape on the highest setting but even on medium it makes me cough for 10-15 seconds each time. i don't know how people think inhaling scalding hot air through a narcotic is going to be good for them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Had the arizer for a week or so and still feel like I must be doing something wrong. There's rarely much visible vapor and the high is usually about half as intense, sometimes less than half, as smoking. Even with kief in the chamber. The elbow pack method works a little better and I guess I have a jar of crunchy brown weed to cook with. Getting two uses out of the weed is nice but I don't know if it's worth only getting half as high each time

Still trying to give it a decent chance though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What temp are you using? I get giant clouds from my Solo/Air.

The high is less intense, overall, but it's more pleasant, at least to me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Usually 230 c, have tried it briefly as low as 190 and as high as 260. Everything I read is raving about how great it is and I just feel like a dumb shithead who can't figure out how to breathe the right way to make it not suck.

Definitely an improvement over the handheld though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If the Arizer unit is a V Tower or an Extreme Q, then google "elbow packing" :keke:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh, I meant "what color" lol, who knows what the actual temp is? I usually do green, then yellow to kill it off.

there's tutorial videos on YouTube in case you are missing something obvious, like "grind your weed" or "let it warm up first"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnwEBYDUTmg

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yeah grinding as finely as possible makes the biggest difference for getting a thick cloud of vapor. Also make sure you don't overfill the bowl and check all your connection points to make sure you aren't leaking vapor. 210c tends to work the best for me. Oh and another good tip is to replace the bag with a turkey oven bag. More vapor in one sitting and a better air/vapor ratio to make it a little less harsh on your lungs.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
carry me home dr. grim spoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCqEADYRg8g&t=29s

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
How finely ground should I be going for? I keep wondering if that's part of my problem. Are we talking kief-fine or like, one time through a normal grinder like this?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Here are some simple instructions for using your vapor-thingy:

1) Remove the weed from the vapor-thingy
2) Put weed into your (preferably) glass pipe
3) Smoke the weed
4) Laugh at vapor-thingy users for going through any process more complicated than this

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

purple death ray posted:

Had the arizer for a week or so and still feel like I must be doing something wrong. There's rarely much visible vapor and the high is usually about half as intense, sometimes less than half, as smoking. Even with kief in the chamber. The elbow pack method works a little better and I guess I have a jar of crunchy brown weed to cook with. Getting two uses out of the weed is nice but I don't know if it's worth only getting half as high each time

Arizer air? put it on white or green, and don't try to hit it like a pipe with one big drag, instead inhale slowly for 20 seconds or so. Like just see how long you can take a nice easy drag off of it. I just sorta clicked into the method one day

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

RFC2324 posted:

but how does it compare to sucking dick?

That doesn't bother me 😉

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Tendai posted:

How finely ground should I be going for? I keep wondering if that's part of my problem. Are we talking kief-fine or like, one time through a normal grinder like this?

I have the kind of grinder where it falls through into another chamber below (on top of the kief screen), and I have found that if I use it in a vaporizer like that, it's not quite finely ground enough. When grinding for the vaporizer, I turn the whole thing upside down and keep grinding so that it can't fall through the holes.

I don't try to turn it into powder or anything, but finer than I would grind for non-vape purposes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Its an extreme Q, it doesnt have colors. I dont think.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i don't know how people think inhaling scalding hot air through a narcotic is going to be good for them.

it's not good for you, but it seems reasonable to think that it is less bad for you than inhaling scalding hot air that also contains a bunch of tar and other tiny burning particles

though personally I find vaping wax and oil is less harsh than vaping weed, not sure why

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

btw I am in the Bay Area suburbs for a few days visiting family please let me know if there are any good new South Bay/Peninsula recreational stores I should be checking out

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Earwicker posted:

though personally I find vaping wax and oil is less harsh than vaping weed, not sure why

I think it's a temperature issue. A lot of dry herb vaporizers have a really short air path, or have the heating element up near the mouthpiece, and the vapor comes out pretty warm. My Pax has 4 heat settings and going one setting hotter or one cooler makes a really noticeable difference in how harsh it is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just use an adapter and a water tube, doing like a mini-vapebong thing. It lessens the harshness a lot.

Also I drink a lot of water, which has a bonus of making me healthier!

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
i had the desktop arizer 5-6 years ago, now i have the air. elbow packing is definitely the way to go for the desktop. i pretty much ramp the air straight to red whenever i use it. why gently caress about with anything less than full intensity?

if you inhale as if you're taking big lungfuls of air, exhale fully and then repeat that will do the trick better than if you're sucking on it like a joint. i think partially it's oxygen deprivation but once again, go big or go home.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

why does some weed just not vape? the last two batches i bought give me like two average clouds from my pax 2 on full heat and then that's it. the weed is dense and smells super potent, doesn't seem like poor quality

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Kelp Me! posted:

A full-size blunt with like 2 grams in it, sure. .5 g in a blunt is basically smoking the empty blunt wrapper.

*Repeatedly taps finger on printed picture entitled "Exhibit A"*

purple death ray posted:

I'm sorry to hear this but your experience only re-enforces my vape apprehension. And this is before the cheap skate in me has anything to say about the matter..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I'm sorry to hear this but your experience only re-enforces my vape apprehension. And this is before the cheap skate in me has anything to say about the matter..

Smoking is 27 times more satisfying anyway.