Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finished SC. That's a nice ending and all, but if I didn't know there was an entire third game to serve as a pseudo-epilogue/sendoff to the non-Joshua/Estelle characters I'd probably be a little disappointed.

A question about Ouroboros, CS2 spoilers: So are the Enforcers besides Lowee and McBurn supposed to be weaker than the Anguis?

Also holy Aidios, Kevin, that was beyond brutal. :stare: So I guess all this time he's been a Grail Knight elite or something?

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

A question about Ouroboros, CS2 spoilers: So are the Enforcers besides Lowee and McBurn supposed to be weaker than the Anguis?

I don't think Ouroboros is organized by power level. The Anguis seem to be chosen based on other capabilities that can help carry out the master plan. This is supported by the fact that the Enforcers aren't exactly subordinates of the Anguis, they just have another role in the organization.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Zaggitz posted:

Ys demo was fun but if the dialogue in it is indicative of the loc for the rest of the game then fuckin oof. Here I was thinking Persona 5 was gonna snatch worst loc of the year.

>Effin'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least I can listen to the Japanese dub and make up what they're saying in my head

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Last Celebration posted:

Finished SC. That's a nice ending and all, but if I didn't know there was an entire third game to serve as a pseudo-epilogue/sendoff to the non-Joshua/Estelle characters I'd probably be a little disappointed.

It's not that clear. Enforcers are kinda like the muscule behind operations while the Anguis are the supervisors. Anguis put plans together that Enforcers usually help carry out, together with the grunts. So Anguis are not necessarily picked for their battle or assassination prowess. Weissmann wasn't particularly powerful, his biggest assets being his intelligence, planning skills and knowledge of artifacts. (among other things) One Anguis (Duvalie's master/girlcrush) DOES have combat prowess that surpasses the enforcers)

Last Celebration posted:

Also holy Aidios, Kevin, that was beyond brutal. :stare: So I guess all this time he's been a Grail Knight elite or something?

He's a Dominion. (the 5th one, as Campanella calls him) If you've played a certain New Game+ only quest in Cold Steel II, you'll have met a Dominion and one of his squires already. Trails in the Sky the 3rd explains what the Dominion are, but Grail Knight Elite isn't exactly wrong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

It's not that clear. Enforcers are kinda like the muscule behind operations while the Anguis are the supervisors. Anguis put plans together that Enforcers usually help carry out, together with the grunts. So Anguis are not necessarily picked for their battle or assassination prowess. Weissmann wasn't particularly powerful, his biggest assets being his intelligence, planning skills and knowledge of artifacts. (among other things) One Anguis (Duvalie's master/girlcrush) DOES have combat prowess that surpasses the enforcers)

Yeah, I haven't played Crossbell obviously but remember hearing that Duvalie's boss was supposed to be stronger than the Enforcers, and Lowee was saying before the fight something along the lines of "not even the Anguis can best me in single combat" which is why I was wondering.

Also I went back to Cold Steel 2 after getting burnt out at the finally for real last dungeon since I'm done with Sky, and I feel real dumb since there was literally two back to back boss fights and ten minutes of story left. Time to replay CS1 NG+ for all the bonding events and see all the little connections!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Zaggitz posted:

Ys demo was fun but if the dialogue in it is indicative of the loc for the rest of the game then fuckin oof. Here I was thinking Persona 5 was gonna snatch worst loc of the year.

This doesn't surprise me but it's really unfortunate either way, especially since this Ys is supposed to actually have a plot worth caring about.

Oh well, Ys Seven is out on PC today so I'll just play that instead I guess.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ys demo is really fun. I played Oath in Felghana and Origins but wasn't really sure how I would feel about this different gameplay style. I actually really like it!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Looks like Ys Seven unlocked on both Steam and GOG. On GOG, the other Ys games got some pretty nice discounts, so if you still need Ys Chronicles, Oath, Origin or Napishtim, this is a good chance.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
played 40 minutes of the ys seven pc port and it's pretty solid. i'm not sure they missed any areas it could be improved, and the little things like the higher framerate make a big difference. it's also better than playing the psp version with a 60fps hack cause i'm pretty sure they fixed the timing on rush when you're fighting bosses so you can actually cancel them out of it instead of the timer going too fast for it to be physically possible.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I haven't played Crossbell obviously but remember hearing that Duvalie's boss was supposed to be stronger than the Enforcers, and Lowee was saying before the fight something along the lines of "not even the Anguis can best me in single combat" which is why I was wondering.

Also I went back to Cold Steel 2 after getting burnt out at the finally for real last dungeon since I'm done with Sky, and I feel real dumb since there was literally two back to back boss fights and ten minutes of story left. Time to replay CS1 NG+ for all the bonding events and see all the little connections!

I think the line went "Few can match me, among S-rank bracers, other enforcers and even the Anguis." implying there are those who can match Loewe, like Cassius, McBurn, and Arianrhod

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm glad that's settled

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/902974481618018304

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
This is good.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The Colonel posted:

played 40 minutes of the ys seven pc port and it's pretty solid. i'm not sure they missed any areas it could be improved, and the little things like the higher framerate make a big difference. it's also better than playing the psp version with a 60fps hack cause i'm pretty sure they fixed the timing on rush when you're fighting bosses so you can actually cancel them out of it instead of the timer going too fast for it to be physically possible.

Can confirm, it runs perfectly at a smooth 60fps. Graphically you can tell it's a straight port of a PSP game, but whatever, game's still fun.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
neat thing i just noticed is that aside from the launcher, there's an in-game options menu where you change all the graphical settings and remap your controller, and switch between xbox, dualshock and keyboard button icons. surprisingly nifty, not a thing i'd expect from a port of a psp game

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I believe they were also kind enough to make it possible to map special moves and flash guard to specific keyboard keys instead of being forced to hold one button and press one of the four primary keys, which is redundant on a keyboard since it doesn't deal with the button limits the PSP has.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Well crap I guess I need to replay the end of Chapter 2 so I can experience this performance.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
He was in chapter 1 too I think, voicing a different generic officer.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Inferno Chester 2 is absolutely monstrous

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

He was in chapter 1 too I think, voicing a different generic officer.

I thought it was supposed to be the same guy, but either way that dude owns

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Hivac posted:

Inferno Chester 2 is absolutely monstrous

As a general rule, screw Chester.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Chester is tough, but i died less to him that to the drat first mummy boss fight. Probably the boss i died the most to in a row.

Tho i admit, i started Felghana on hard for my first play through, because i thought "hey i played an Ys game before (it was Seven) so i have experience, how hard can it really be"

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Chester 1 wasn't too bad on Inferno given the multiple windows for vastly outstatting him

Chester 2 doesn't have that. Instead you get move cancelling and shields that last way longer than you think they do

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way, I remember reading about something in the Japanese versions of the games.

Apparently, in those versions, certain words have a switch on the dual character reading that Japanese usually has: Kanji on top, katakana on bottom, rather than the other way around. Can anyone clarify if this is true? I think the example given was the incantations for Vita's spells, but I think archaisms's names are also subject to it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Regulus – Significantly increases the STR and DEF of the user. In addition to enabling use fire attribute arts such as “Forte,” the amount of CP (Craft Points) you obtain when taking damage will increase. By increasing your level, you can also cut the cool-down period for using an “S Craft” in half.

Uh did we know this. If we did I forgot about it.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-details-arcus-ii-battle-orbment

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

I see Sirius is going to be permanently equipped to an evasion tank.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh I haven't heard anyone say 'animu' since YCS died

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm gonna stream some Ys8 since I never completely finished it. Post-game dungeon? But first I have to get a feel for the game again.

https://www.twitch.tv/fail_snail/

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

I imagine it's meant to be "by increasing the level of regulus" rather than the character level and "cut cooldown in half" is probably the max level version, which if they keep delay the same would make it the same cost as a basic attack. Nifty and kind of like an opposite version of CS1 Tauros, which gave basic attacks the delay of an s-craft.

It will still see 0 play though if they don't balance out enemy speed and your ability to delay better.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Finally brought down Chester 2 on Inferno

my hands can't stop shaking lmao

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
How long are the scripts for the Crossbell games compared to Sky? Longer than SC? How long would translating them take?

Hivac posted:

Finally brought down Chester 2 on Inferno

my hands can't stop shaking lmao

Chester 2 might be the hardest fight in the whole series. The last boss in Oath is laughable compared to him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terminally Bored posted:

How long are the scripts for the Crossbell games compared to Sky? Longer than SC? How long would translating them take?

iirc they're roughly as long as the whole sky trilogy put together

they're trails games so it takes a hell of a long time guaranteed

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SORA Count:
Scenes: 1.073.597 / Books & Items: 77.436

SORA II Count:
Scenes: 1.255.486 / Book & Items: 158.360

SORA III Count:
Scenes: 509.939

ZERO count:
Scenes: 1.253.845 / Books & Items: 107.885 / Misc: 12.048

AO count:
Scenes: 1.443.094 / Books & Items: 159.745 / Misc: 18.291

SEN I Count:
Book: 79.215 / Scenea: 1.116.935 / Talk: 174.419 / Misc: 143.307

SEN II Count:
Book: 121.404 / Scenea: 952.225 / Talk: 168.359 / Misc: 173.

TX Count:
Total: 890.481

---

these which i did not get myself are ripped from the games themselves in millions of japanese characters.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I put about 75 hours into Ao, and that's without talking to most NPCs. I think I had about 50 for Zero, but ~8 hours was just the leadup to the final dungeon and the dungeon itself.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thanks!

I'd swear 3rd felt much longer than that. But then it doesn't really have NPCs to talk to, right?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sky 3rd was 40 hours for me, about the same length as sky 1. but yeah, i think a lot of that is spent on gameplay stuff, which thankfully it's the game where i started caring about trails combat

really i'm kind of impressed that cold steel's been going for five hours longer than i spent beating sky sc and i've still got like fifteen more hours left and pretty much the entire game up to this point has felt consistently strong

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 1, 2017

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
How did y'all go about fighting the optional Glacia Shrine boss in CS2? Because it's clear that my usual strategies aren't going to cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

use Laura

More specifically, Laura with a Zemurian Ore sword, Tauros, Domination, every possible STR boost, and level 7 combat link. Give her some 50% STR food, go into OVADRYVE, use Radiant Lion, have Rean feed her a Zeram Capsule and then Radiant Lion again. No muss, no fuss, no messy clean-up.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 1, 2017