Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got some more done.

Supervisor was on-site today.

First, started by getting the rails installed.

With that done, it was time to start laying the pickets.

Almost done.

I screwed up my measurements on one of the rails so I had to buy another one, and the remaining panel isn't a even number of pickets (of course). I'm going to take some of the pickets up to my dad's on Friday and use his saw to make sure I get straight cuts, then I'll head back home and finish it up. Then all I have to do is cut the tops of the pickets so they're flush and trim the posts where appropriate, and eventually mount some post covers. The last one is going to have to wait until I've got another contract and am bringing in some actual income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Went up to my dad's yesterday and used his table saw to trim 4 boards so I could finish up.

Still ended up about a 1/4" off on the bottom though, so I had to carefully cut the bottom of one of the boards a bit more to get it to fit.

Aaand done!

Well, mostly. I still need to trim the tops of the pickets, then cut the posts so they're at an even height, then I need to get and install some post caps. And I still need to fix the broken post on the side.

But we're pretty good for now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

While I still have my dad's air compressor around and had the miter saw out, I decided to go ahead and cut some of the moulding I've got and install it framing the bathroom entrance.

So, let's break out the new toy!

And let's hook it up to air!

Umm,....

Errrr,....

Welp. That ain't gonna work. Let's make a trip to a store that sells air tools and parts,...

And build ourselves an adapter.

Much bettah. With that done, I can now hook up the tool to air, and do this:

Going to put in some more nails to secure it, and still need to paint (but need to paint some tester portions first to make sure the colors will work) but at least the cats can't look in now when you pee.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did a few random things around the house:

Got tired of insects getting in through here,

So a few self-tapping screws and the drill later and I've got the bottom of the door back on.

Also decided that I wanted some kind of latch on the front gate. A conventional gate latch just isn't going to work with the way it is right now, so I picked up a hook and eye, grabbed a scrap block of wood and some of my screws, and threw this together.

So far it seems to work just fine.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Trying to do some small things around the house to try to stave off the depression coming from the fact that I'm out of work.

First off, it looks like the tea shelf has exceeded the max weight rating for the shelf mounts.

Put another mount in the center.

That's better.

Next, MY GIRLFRIEND got a nice bonus, so we decided to spend a little of it to get some bookshelves so we can start getting things out of boxes and put away. IKEA of course.

Starting assembly.

One up.

Two up.

And now populated with some books. I'm missing at least one box, since several of my Neil Gaiman hardcovers haven't turned up yet; hopefully I'll track those down in the next few days.

Probably going to move the small one to the corner and then measure the space to the window to see what we can put there. Debating if I want to do a display case on this side, or have one side for say, books and the other side of the room for collectibles and stuff.

Also started working on testing paint for my moulding, here's a first attempt:

In this case, I started by doing a base coat on the whole thing, then re-painted the accents in the other color. It works okay, but I need to put multiple coats to cover the leaves without bleed-through, which is causing a bit of loss of detail. I'm going to try another piece and use a smaller brush so I can paint around the accents and see if that makes it look a bit better with less work.

Here's an example of what it'll look like on the wall.

What do you guys think? I think it looks pretty nifty myself.

My father has a suggestion on what I should get with my birthday gift card. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The molding looks pretty nice, but I personally wouldn't have the patience to paint in all the leaves manually like that. Not that I have any advice for an easier way to do it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Those look like Billy, in which case you can get hardware to make a corner unit. This is a "model" that shows what that looks like:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29020470/

You get a 15 inc wide Billy plus this bracket kit and you've got yourself a corner unit. Put some glass doors on the cabinet along the wall if you want that to be a display case rather than a simple bookcase.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Those look like Billy, in which case you can get hardware to make a corner unit. This is a "model" that shows what that looks like:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29020470/

You get a 15 inc wide Billy plus this bracket kit and you've got yourself a corner unit. Put some glass doors on the cabinet along the wall if you want that to be a display case rather than a simple bookcase.

Yes, that's what the one is that's close to the corner now. And I'll probably just buy the cabinet that comes with the glass since I need to buy more anyway.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Brewing with the Tea of Hearts? You know it ain't really smart.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I like the molding and the detail in it, but the colors look really dark in the room. Personally, I would go with a white or a cream for the molding and paint the leaves.....something else. A darker blue maybe? I'm picturing it in my mind and it looks alright, but I don't know how it would look in your room.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

I like the molding and the detail in it, but the colors look really dark in the room. Personally, I would go with a white or a cream for the molding and paint the leaves.....something else. A darker blue maybe? I'm picturing it in my mind and it looks alright, but I don't know how it would look in your room.

The plan is that it should be close to a match for what I'm doing for the outlet plates and such (oil-rubbed bronze). Each room is at least one different color (the Master Bedroom has 3, actually), so I want to do a trim color that matches what I want for the plates (and eventually the fixtures and such), and accent with the color of the wall that it's on.

Keep in mind too that the testers I'm using are rustoleum, which,... isn't great paint really. Once I use something higher quality it should look a bit better.

I've got two more samples I'm working on where I'm trying a few different things and I should have those posted later tonight or tomorrow once the base coat dries and I can do the contrast stuff.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Some new samples:

And here's how all three look finished on the wall:

So, I've now got one where I painted the entire outside piece of the moulding, and one where I just painted the inside gap. I probably need a non-lovely paint to go further at this point, but until then I can try to decide which I want to go with.

Next, I have two uncovered outlets outside; one had broken and fallen off, and I guess they never installed one on the other because it's under the back patio roof and is a GFI outlet.

So, put a cover on it.

Happy birthday to me.

Next, decided I'm going to start painting again. First though, I need to pressure wash the house, so did that.

Here's a good reason why:

I've started painting the front entryway, I'll try to post pictures of that (and whatever other progress I make) tomorrow.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Some painting:

Got most of the front done. Of course now it's started raining.

Still need to do the rest of these, it's about half done though.

A more expansive view:

It's going to be raining until next week, so I'll be stalled until then.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Meantime, I am enjoying Jokerhaus.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Right, updates.

Since the last, we decided to borrow purple truck again and try to clear out the rest of the crap that was sitting next to the house; mainly old moulding, carpeting and pad, flooring, that sort of thing.

Got about half of it out:

Riiight, this thing was sitting in there. Welp. I don't have a metal blade for my saws-all, so this will have to sit a bit longer until I can break it down.

Truck load for the dump.

Found a tarp too!

Subtracting the slider chair in the above shot, this is the last of what we couldn't fit. This is probably small enough that I can just sprinkle it in with the bi-weekly trash collection.

Whoops. Noticed this when I was dicking around in the back yard, went and grabbed one of my mallets and hammered it back in. Should hopefully keep it in place; I'm thinking I may replace my gutters and the wood they mount to in the spring.

Some new additions for the household.

Thinking I might move the doctors here on the right so they can be in the "proper" location.

I decided to finally replace the toilet seat in the guest bathroom with the one I've had sitting in the closet for a while. First I had to remove the old one which wasn't fun; I had to take vice-grips to the bottom portion, then when that didn't work I had to take a crowbar to the top lid to pop it off then pound the rail out so I could pull the bottom seat out which finally allowed me to unscrew them.

Got it off, and did some cleaning around areas that probably haven't seen it in 20+ years.

Installed the quick-release mounts for the new seat. I prefer this since it makes cleaning and replacement a lot easier.

Right, accidentally bought one with an integrated child seat. Well, never going to use this, so I'll just toss it out.

And the new one just pops on. It's also a "slo-close" lid, so you can just tap the rim a bit and it'll close on its own without slamming.

Old one for comparison.

Also got some more painting done outside. This has been a challenge since we're finally getting in to "fall" weather here and I've been having some problems with the paint guns.

Started with the side. On this particular day my higher end gun wasn't working (was spattering instead of spraying), so I had to use the cheaper one I've got. Still did okay.

I'll mention again that I HATE this loving siding. Those gaps are a real bitch to get any good paint coverage in.

Then got a weekend with a day of non-crappy weather, so got some more done. On this day I got the better one of my guns working, but then the cheaper one was spattering. Can't win, I guess. I also ended up having problems where the the one that was working was getting paint starting to set in the sprayer, so I had to take it apart twice over the course of painting to unblock it. Still, got some stuff done.

Having one of the paint guns down really slowed things down so I didn't get everything done. Still need to do finish work on the painted sections and finish the back patio, then I've got one wall left and I need to go up and spray one of the other high peaks. Then I can paint the trim. There might be a day next week where it'll be dry and warm enough that I can get some more done, we'll see.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

yoooooo that is a huge mess and you're doing well fixing it up

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did a thing.

This was a tri-fold, I dismounted one of them then attached the remaining two to the doorway with hinges.

Put an eyelet on each side so it can be latched closed from either side of the room.

Also put an eyelet on this side so we can latch it open.

This will keep animals from engaging in unauthorized entry while also being a lot more convenient to open when we need to get in there.

We also found most of the drawer fronts, so I'm getting those put back together so I can get them reinstalled. I also noticed that the shelving was originally screwed together (makes sense for stability), so I found a match at Home Depot and got those bolted back together.

Still need to figure out how to fix the one table, and I'll need to take a closer look at the other ones to see if there was a way they were fastened, I'm concerned that the long one might tip or slide if weight is put on the end.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

New project! Take your guesses as to what I'm doing!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
It appears you might be playing with your wood friend.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Buying warped wood?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Those are, what, 1x2s? Furring strips? Stickers for drying lumber?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Saloon doors and/or toilet paper rack.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Drywalling part of a basement wall?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

The Dave posted:

Buying warped wood?

:drat:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

The Dave posted:

Buying warped wood?

Hey, you never know, it could be straight but rough on one side and a quarter inch under nominal size!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are building one of those head in a box magic trick setups?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I suck at measuring apparently, so I'll need to re-cut some wood. Probably do that tomorrow after I can get a pair of sawhorses.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

My father has continued his quest to personally outfit me with every tool ever.

Also got a gift card for Christmas, so spent a bit of that on these.

Okay, let's continue with the "mystery" project.

Another side on,...

And another,...

It's,... a BOX!

Do you see?

DO YOU SEE?

Pictured: the reason for this little project.

Houndini here has been very effective in finding ways to get in to the trash and strew it all over the floor, which is not optimal for several reasons. I've tried several methods to prevent him from getting in there, but he'd just keep upping his trash hound game and figure out how to pull bags out. This so far has been rather effective in doing him a thwart.

As a bonus, I was able to pull these out of the bottom of the cans.

I did cut a piece of wood to go over the top and will probably install with some hinges at some point to finish it, but being able to come home and not have the trash all over the kitchen every time I leave the house has already been nice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a fine and sturdy trashcancan. Do we get to vote on how to paint it, or will you go with GLITTER GLITTER GLITTER

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

peanut posted:

That's a fine and sturdy trashcancan. Do we get to vote on how to paint it, or will you go with GLITTER GLITTER GLITTER

I vote for...uh, vote.

But glitter works, too.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

VOTE FOR PICTURES MADE WITH DRIED FOOD IN 2018!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/90564642480678280/

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, I could've let Mr. Dicer take a crack at it, but since he's now avoiding my state,....

In reality I'll probably just leave it be for now. Maybe if I end up with enough extra paint after another project I might do something with it.

Next thing is probably going to be re-working under the kitchen sink so I can repair/replace my instant hot dispenser and get the disposal installed or replacing the faucet in the guest bathroom (hot side leaks when turned on, cold side leaks always so I had to turn off the feed to that side).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, my estimate of what my next project would be was not entirely accurate.

Compared to the old one.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ACQUIRE

Gained for grand total of,.... $0! All I had to do was go pick them up.

In Monroe.

On a mountain.

So, a story. Got in the car after work (Redmond), drove to the theater in Monroe to pick up MY GIRLFRIEND's father's truck, drive up to the loving boondock mountain, where the phones don't work. Fortunately I'd loaded up the map, but I still got lost twice and ended up at some guy's house that had a trachea ring and referred to the guy as "Rob the Neighbor". Finally got over there and had a very nice pair of gay mountain men help me load them up and even loaned me a pair of ratchet straps to tie them in. Got back down the mountain, then:

- Drive to Renton
- Unload washer/dryer. Get smacked in the head with the washer because it slips out of MY GIRLFRIEND's hands when it was an inch or so off the ground.
- Drive back up to Monroe to drop off the truck and get the car.
- Drive back to Renton.

Here's an idea of the routes:

So. Out with the old!

And in with the,...

With the,...

Well, poo poo.

Gonna go pick up a new cord tomorrow, then I should be able to get this done and tested.

Next project!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Gotta say, it's REAL nice to have dry clothes without having to run them through a dryer like 3 times.

Also, of COURSE I dropped a loving screw in the dryer body when I was hooking up the new cord. Fortunately it's the same as the one that holds the back piece on for the cable door, so that's just off until I can get another screw.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Nice work!

When we moved I had to change the plug on my dryer too. Accidentally reversed the neutral and ground. Turns out everything worked fine except the metal case started to leak electricity.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, I've been radio silent for a bit because I'm dealing with rather a few too many stress situations right now. I'll probably talk about it a bit once at least one or two of them have calmed down a bit.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
stay safe handy ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

It's looking really good, I'm digging the color scheme.

I hope everything turns out ok. Good luck.