Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

And More posted:

Thank you, btw. Makes me feel less weird for writing all of that. :3:

I''ll add in that that was the kind of post you save and reference when prepping for rewatch. Kate Chopin would be not that unlikely a source of inspiration, The Awakening, etc... really thoughtful stuff (even the yellow packaging for her style of American Spirits with the southwestern decals have a sort of hieroglyphic quality).

e: as I joke I'll add that as an american spirit black fan, yellows are seriously the most terrible of american spirits. My girlfriend pointed out that was her first sign Diane had something wrong with her.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't really see Cooper staying with the Joneses after being with them for such a short time as ~the right thing to do~

They don't even know each other. I'm sure Cooper would do whatever he can to help them out, but I don't think settling down and pretending to be someone he isn't is very Coop-like. He's not afraid of disappointing people.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Feels right to me, but what people want a beloved character to do is a personal thing. I just dig it, the whole Dougie thing, it works. And since the Dougie we've been watching this whole series is Coop, even though it's been a short time, it was like having your formative years over again or something, very in the moment and real, I could see it changing what Coop wants to do with the rest of his life.

In general, everything about how he acted in the last episode to me felt like it was handled really well, and felt inspired.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peacoffee posted:

I''ll add in that that was the kind of post you save and reference when prepping for rewatch. Kate Chopin would be not that unlikely a source of inspiration, The Awakening, etc... really thoughtful stuff (even the yellow packaging for her style of American Spirits with the southwestern decals have a sort of hieroglyphic quality).

e: as I joke I'll add that as an american spirit black fan, yellows are seriously the most terrible of american spirits. My girlfriend pointed out that was her first sign Diane had something wrong with her.

everybody should read the awakening. what a perfectly depressing read it is.

unrelated-ish but speaking of feminist classics, i think Lynch's metaphysical motifs are more than a little like the yellow wallpaper. real objects begin to adopt strange and otherworldly behaviors until you can't distinguish what's reality and what's an illusion/magic/psychosis.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't really see Cooper staying with the Joneses after being with them for such a short time as ~the right thing to do~

They don't even know each other. I'm sure Cooper would do whatever he can to help them out, but I don't think settling down and pretending to be someone he isn't is very Coop-like. He's not afraid of disappointing people.

It's more than the right thing to do it's his responsibility to take care of these people because they're only in that situation because of his actions. Cooper is in part responsible for everything Booper does and Coop's not the kind of guy to leave his wrongs unsettled.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

It's more than the right thing to do it's his responsibility to take care of these people because they're only in that situation because of his actions. Cooper is in part responsible for everything Booper does and Coop's not the kind of guy to leave his wrongs unsettled.

Oh yeah, I remember earlier when people were pinning booper's actions on Cooper.

nah

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Peacoffee posted:

:cheers:

Funnily enough, the cigarette box in the short story is actually covered in yellow paper. :tinfoil:

cis autodrag posted:

everybody should read the awakening. what a perfectly depressing read it is.

unrelated-ish but speaking of feminist classics, i think Lynch's metaphysical motifs are more than a little like the yellow wallpaper. real objects begin to adopt strange and otherworldly behaviors until you can't distinguish what's reality and what's an illusion/magic/psychosis.

One interesting thing about the Awakening is that some people think it's depressing, and others find it uplifting. Kind of like Lynch's work. Sad but also heart warming.

Realist horror fiction is some of the most unsettling stuff I think I've ever read. The Yellow Wallpaper is definitely up there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And More's Diane/Asian-inspired outfits post is good as hell, but I admit I am now wondering if it's actually another hint towards Diane being Naido, as previously mentioned

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just wanna say that it would be totally creepy and hosed up if Cooper was planning on sending some creepy Lodge creation to live with Janey-E and Sonny Jim. I absolutely agree that it's just a totally hosed up thing.

Like Esco said - you're all welcome to believe what you want, but you're 100% wrong if you think Cooper gave that hair to Mike to deceive his family. Just the urgency with which he did it seems to contradict this idea. He even asks Mike twice if he still has "the seed". Him making any sort of false Dougie/Cooper to send back and "be the dad" to that family and lying to them about it is... well... the sort of weird and hosed up thing that someone like Bad Coop would do. In fact, I'm fairly sure it WAS a weird and hosed-up thing that Bad Coop did.

And yeah I loved the post about 'The Egyptian Cigarette' on the previous page. That's the kinda cool stuff we need more of. As opposed to snarky trolling. *looks up* poo poo

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 31, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Also, regarding Diane 2's apparent suffering and her tendency to drown this in drugs/cigarettes (plus the blonde hair).... look at both Laura and Sarah. Both characters smoke and drink and/or do drugs, like Diane. Both characters are also long-suffering, like Diane. And both characters are victims of BOB in a direct way, like Diane.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

kaworu posted:

I just wanna say that it would be totally creepy and hosed up if Cooper was planning on sending some creepy Lodge creation to live with Janey-E and Sonny Jim. I absolutely agree that it's just a totally hosed up thing.

Is it still hosed up if Coop knows of his own impending demise?

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
wasn't one of the synopsis descriptions for the last two eps dougie returns to janey-e or something like that? that plus coop's slip up would be pretty conclusive imo

e: also i refuse to believe that coop is going to die. he's coop dammit. long live coop.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cooper reconjures Dougie in the lodge, but only lets him back out after giving one hell of an inspiring speech on how to be a good dude. Maybe he tells Dougie that "we'll have our eyes on you" and motions significantly to his badge.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

Cooper reconjures Dougie in the lodge, but only lets him back out after giving one hell of an inspiring speech on how to be a good dude. Maybe he tells Dougie that "we'll have our eyes on you" and motions significantly to his badge.

he is the fbi afterall

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

kaworu posted:

Like Esco said - you're all welcome to believe what you want, but you're 100% wrong if you think Cooper gave that hair to make to deceive his family. Just the urgency with which he did it seems to contradict this idea. He even asks Mike twice if he still has "the seed". Him making any sort of false Dougie/Cooper to send back and "be the dad" to that family and lying to them about it is... well... the sort of weird and hosed up thing that someone like Bad Coop would do. In fact, I'm fairly sure it WAS a weird and hosed-up thing that Bad Coop did.

It seems like they're actually alive, so it'd be akin to, "Whoops, you married a full AI and it was lost. I'll send in another iteration of the same construct -- but nicer."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Coop making a new Dougie to take care of the Jones only makes sense to me if he, for some reason, knows he is going to die, which I really hope is not the case :(

Otherwise, I'm with kaworu: it seems kinda hosed up

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Coop making a new Dougie to take care of the Jones only makes sense to me if he, for some reason, knows he is going to die, which I really hope is not the case :(

Otherwise, I'm with kaworu: it seems kinda hosed up

He makes the tulpa Dougie, kills booper, then Cooper goes back to live in LV, and Dougie follows Albert all around the FBI offices and requires help pissing, etc

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Peacoffee posted:

He makes the tulpa Dougie, kills booper, then Cooper goes back to live in LV, and Dougie follows Albert all around the FBI offices and requires help pissing, etc

I would watch a full season of this

Just imagine the conversations between Dougie and Gordon

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
So, something about FWWM that's puzzling to me. There's a scene where Laura sees a dead girl telling her that "Good Cooper in still in the Black Lodge", which seems to be confirmed by Jeffries pointing at him and saying "Who do you think that is?"

However if that's true that would mean that Twin Peaks S1&2 is entirely Booper which is ridiculous. Has this been resolved already?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Jefferies is unstuck in time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Kawabata posted:

So, something about FWWM that's puzzling to me. There's a scene where Laura sees a dead girl telling her that "Good Cooper in still in the Black Lodge", which seems to be confirmed by Jeffries pointing at him and saying "Who do you think that is?"

However if that's true that would mean that Twin Peaks S1&2 is entirely Booper which is ridiculous. Has this been resolved already?

The idea was that Jeffries had transported to Philadelphia from some indeterminate number of months/years into the future. When Gordon is saying "MAYDAY! MAYDAY!" into his faulty device, Jeffries looks up at the calendar confused muttering "May...?" and seeing that it's February in this FBI office, then he vanishes. This, combined with seeming to think that Coop was host to BOB already, would indicate he transported through time as well as space

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kawabata posted:

Annie is time traveling from the end of S2, when evil Coop has already come out, and god only knows where Jeffries has been.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Kawabata posted:

I think Coop was still Coop in the original series. The message to Laura was meant for future investigators to read once Laura was dead and Coop was trapped.

It's fun to think about whether Coop really died at the end of season 1 but i don't think that's what happened.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I just had a major moment -- are we never going to find out how Annie is?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I can't really see Cooper settling down with Janey-E, I'm sure he's creating a new, better Dougie for them. Dougie was "manufactured for a purpose", that purpose probably being "gently caress off somewhere so I don't have to go back to the lodge" assuming Bad Coop did it. If it wasn't in his programming to be decent then yeah Dougie would be a lovely dude who doesn't really care about much. I think Cooper's purpose for creating another (be a good dad) would probably have some influence on its behaviour and Janey-E and Sonny Jim would get a husband/dad who actually gives a poo poo. I don't really think it's that creepy for Cooper to want to do that considering she married a gold bead in the first place

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I bet by the end, we won't know which is Cooper and which is his tulpa and it'll be left ambiguous as to what his intention was involving the tulpa he commissioned.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Papa John Misty posted:

Lynch wanted Audrey for that plot anyway so I doubt it. Died in Donna's freak plastic surgery accident no doubt

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kawabata posted:

So, something about FWWM that's puzzling to me. There's a scene where Laura sees a dead girl telling her that "Good Cooper in still in the Black Lodge",

This is similar to how Coop "met" Laura in a dream in S1E3 and when Coop tells Laura in a dream "don't take the ring" despite never meeting while she's alive. This suggests that the time is not constant in dreams or the Lodges. Annie (the dead girl) giving Laura info from the future through her dreams is the same way. Which brings me to:

quote:

which seems to be confirmed by Jeffries pointing at him and saying "Who do you think that is?"

When Jeffries appears in the Philly offices of the FBI he has no concept of what time he's in. He refers to Coop as being someone else, which suggests that Jeffries has seen/met Coop's doppel beforehand. Since they look identical, and Jeffries is unaware of "when" he is, he mistook Coop for the doppel.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It seems pretty clear that Coop himself is going back to live with them. I think he's grown to love them and he clearly enjoys sex with Janey-E. Saying he'll send a new tulpa to live with them would be completely against his character. It ain't happening.

Coop is the husband and father the Joneses deserve and he knows that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looking forward to the inevitable moment sometime Sunday evening when a line of Coop's dialogue begins "Diane,"

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Maybe Cooper just gave the hair in case he got killed during the battle with his doppelganger.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Papa John Misty posted:

Yeah, that's gotta be one of the main things Coop finds out about when he gets back to Twin Peaks, right? Along with Harry's debilitating sickness, Audrey being stuck in a lodge-coma, and how Donna was banished to the Shadow Realm

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Why would Cooper say goodbye to Bushnell for good ("I will not soon forget your kindness") if he wanted to keep working for him?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

skasion posted:

Lynch wanted Audrey for that plot anyway so I doubt it. Died in Donna's freak plastic surgery accident no doubt

That bank explosion ended up being the perfect way to say Audrey is in a coma, or w/e is going on with her, and idk maybe just continue the Lodge aspects of the Annie story with its originally intended character. Whatever is happening to her certainly seems to imply she's somehow trapped between two worlds.

That weird ringing noise when Coop was still comatose has me wondering if Audrey is bedridden in The Great Northern, wasn't it the same sound Ben and James heard there?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Everyone is talking about Dougie as if he has always been vacant, but he seemed chatty to Jade and even Mike. I know he previously had 'episodes' but it seems to imply he hasn't always been completely catatonic.

So there's hope they will have a semi functional dad/husband with Dougie 2.0

Besson fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 31, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way Bushnell just wanders aimlessly out of Cooper's hospital room following the noise is hilarious. They could have had him just, y'know, nod solemnly, give Agent Coma a pat on the shoulder or something, and then leave. But no, that would've been way too normal.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CJacobs posted:

The way Bushnell just wanders aimlessly out of Cooper's hospital room following the noise is hilarious. They could have had him just, y'know, nod solemnly, give Agent Coma a pat on the shoulder or something, and then leave. But no, that would've been way too normal.

Probably because they wanted to make it clear that he's being led away by MIKE somehow in order for he and Coop to have a chat alone.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
re: which roadhouse scenes are "real", someone in a podcast (I think it was twin peaks rewatch) noted that some of the roadhouse scenes are introduced through the reflection of the neon sign in a puddle on the ground and could be a reference to being the "other" bang bang bar. it sounds like it has merit but someone would have to go back through the episodes and see if it seems to line up

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheMaestroso posted:

Probably because they wanted to make it clear that he's being led away by MIKE somehow in order for he and Coop to have a chat alone.

Yeah but my point is they didn't really have to do that, but they did anyway because hey why the hell not, and that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

strap on revenge posted:

re: which roadhouse scenes are "real", someone in a podcast (I think it was twin peaks rewatch) noted that some of the roadhouse scenes are introduced through the reflection of the neon sign in a puddle on the ground and could be a reference to being the "other" bang bang bar. it sounds like it has merit but someone would have to go back through the episodes and see if it seems to line up

That's a shot that goes all the way back to the original series.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 31, 2017