Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Mario characters are all stage actors (see the SMB3 title screen) performing their roles in a show for our entertainment. They take their roles very seriously. After the show, they unwind by playing sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

creationist believer posted:

Mario characters are all stage actors (see the SMB3 title screen) performing their roles in a show for our entertainment. They take their roles very seriously. After the show, they unwind by playing sports.

What's that make Waluigi? The stage hand/athlete who really wants to be an actor?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Jade Mage posted:

What's that make Waluigi? The stage hand/athlete who really wants to be an actor?

Luigi's perpetual gently caress-up older cousin that Luigi's family guilted into giving a menial job on-set

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Jade Mage posted:

I got Splatoon 2 yesterday and haven't played it yet. I decided I wanted it much more than Mario XCOM, mostly because I read the OP of the Splatoon 2 thread and it sounded like a blast

You made the correct decision; welcome to the Switch's best game, past and future. Welcome to Squidhalla.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

This is headcanon for me now

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Jade Mage posted:

One of the actor's brothers who got invited to hang out backstage ONE loving TIME and now thinks he's "part of the gang"

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I can't tell, but is that NOT Robin Atkin Downes voicing Travis? I'll be so sad if that's the case.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Drunk Tomato posted:

I submit to you that the princess is the real monster, as she constantly teases Mario without putting out, and furthermore

dude, she makes mario lotsta spaghetti and cake. thats all a loving plumber can ask for. don't believe me? just look at the man.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Yestermoment posted:

I can't tell, but is that NOT Robin Atkin Downes voicing Travis? I'll be so sad if that's the case.

Pretty sure it is, if not it's someone who sounds remarkably like him

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

mostly just the RPG villains

The Shadow Queen is a full on Kirby-esque cosmic horror, the Shroobs are g-rated alien conquerers, and Cackletta and Fawful are supervillains.

The X-Nauts from TTYD are somewhere in the middle between Cackletta and Fawful and Team Rocket, while Dimentio is the closest thing the Mario franchise has to an absolute monster.

Reminder that Dimentio's end game was killing Luigi to posses his body and destroy reality itself

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Count Black was a more fun villain since he took to constantly narrating his tragic back story in the third person.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bleck

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sonic Mania is dang glitchy on the Switch. The home button is just completely unresponsive a lot of the time. Occasionally I can hold the home button to pull up the quick-sleep menu, but I can't actually interact with it, or even dismiss.

Who knew a 16 bit nostalgia game could be so difficult to port.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Lakbay posted:

I don't think video game rental really exists anymore for the most part and your only options are Red Box (don't have switch games) or Gamefly (glacial shipping/receiving times, competing with other customers who want the latest video games so you might not get it quickly) at least in the US

I literally have a video rental place that I can rent games from. Note I said "mine." I for sure recognize how rare this is though. Family Video is what it's called. https://www.familyvideo.com/ They have stores all over Illinois. I feel very lucky to even have the option. Videos there are $1 to rent. Kid's stuff is free. Games are less than $3 to rent for the entire week for me right now since I made a new account after they purged my old one. I made an account there just to rent Switch Games to try out Lego City Undercover, 1-2 Switch, and Splatoon 2. It lets you scratch an itch and you know right away which games you should really just go buy.

In fact, I'm gonna go rent it right now before they close so I have the game for the weekend.

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 31, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

rogue wave posted:

I literally have a video rental place that I can rent games from. Note I said "mine." I for sure recognize how rare this is though. Family Video is what it's called. https://www.familyvideo.com/ They have stores all over Illinois.

Does yours have a Marco's Pizza? The one in my hometown has one and it's awesome that they will bring you a movie and a pizza.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Beastie posted:

Does yours have a Marco's Pizza? The one in my hometown has one and it's awesome that they will bring you a movie and a pizza.
Mine does as well and it's right down the block from me and I always include the message "hey sorry I made you get in your car and drive 30 feet to deliver my pizza" in the note box. Their garlic crust is the bomb.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I was rewatching the NMH trailer and I noticed Travis's "Flick of the Switch" shirt.

And I started to remember how rad the clothing design of NMH 1 and 2 were.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

eddiewalker posted:

Sonic Mania is dang glitchy on the Switch. The home button is just completely unresponsive a lot of the time. Occasionally I can hold the home button to pull up the quick-sleep menu, but I can't actually interact with it, or even dismiss.

Who knew a 16 bit nostalgia game could be so difficult to port.

Yep I get this too. Wonder when it'll get fixed

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Beastie posted:

It does actually. High Five.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Theta Zero posted:

I was rewatching the NMH trailer and I noticed Travis's "Flick of the Switch" shirt.

And I started to remember how rad the clothing design of NMH 1 and 2 were.

One of the things I'm most excited for nmh are the extremely rad t-shirts that are gonna be a part of the wardrobe

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morphies Law looks interesting but how do you maintain an active player base and have good matchmaking when you need eight players for a match, and you are an indie title on the console with the lowest install base, and there's no cross play because it's exclusive.

Splatoon can get away with it because it's Splatoon, everyone will buy it.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 31, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Morphies Law looks interesting but how do you maintain an active player base and have good matchmaking when you need right players for a match, and you are an indie title on the console with the lowest install base, and there's no cross play because it's exclusive.

Splatoon can get away with it because it's Splatoon, everyone will buy it.

poo poo even ARMS can because it's Nintendo. I doubt Morphies can

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
God I love the main theme of NMH and how they've adapted it to sound like many different genres but oh how I wish I could've heard a single goddamn thing anyone said in that trailer
I sorta understood that beer belt guy is what'sherface last boss from NMH1's dad and that was pretty much it and now Travis gets an anime eye scar which I guess he'd be ok with

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And I guess the thing now is that the levels will essentially be based on indie games which is good I guess and because maybe it'll happen that Stardew Valley never comes out on the switch but there's a stardew valley level where you kill starhugh o'malley the main character

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Calaveron posted:

God I love the main theme of NMH and how they've adapted it to sound like many different genres but oh how I wish I could've heard a single goddamn thing anyone said in that trailer
I sorta understood that beer belt guy is what'sherface last boss from NMH1's dad and that was pretty much it and now Travis gets an anime eye scar which I guess he'd be ok with

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Bad Girl's dad, since the final boss on NMH1 killed her parents or something and Bad Girl was also a drunkard with a bat and bondage getup.

After watching it three times, I can sort of make out what they're saying in the trailer. Travis says something along the lines of "There's a whole new generation of gamers, I'll have to reintroduce myself," and the rest is just them yelling at each other.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Reminder that Dimentio's end game was killing Luigi to posses his body and destroy reality itself
Smithy wanted to wipe out all life on Mario's world (just like he had done on his own homeworld) and replace it with sentient weapons :black101:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

"as he feels that direct hostility is unfitting for Mario's villains"

I mean this is as true as it gets. Are any of Mario's villains ever really shown as irredeemable monsters? I mean hell the main villain of the series is a single dad raising his kid and he's good at it??? That kind of thing extends to like, all of Mario's villains.

Meanwhile Kirby is fighting loving universe ending cosmic horrors

Raising his biological son and he adopted seven other wayward teens too and he was a good enough adoptive father they're willing to die for him

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Koopalings are honestly kind of lovely to Bowser Jr., at least in Paper Jam. I wonder how they get away with bullying the boss's son.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Koopalings are honestly kind of lovely to Bowser Jr., at least in Paper Jam. I wonder how they get away with bullying the boss's son.

They are the closest things to friends he has. :smith:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if you really take a deep dive into the lore you'll see that waluigi sucks rear end

or any dive at all

just wade into the shallow end, oops, he's still extremely lame

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

They are the closest things to friends he has. :smith:

which, considering they're awful to him, makes Junior a rather sad character in general.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Junior is also an rear end in a top hat and a prick, so it's well deserved.

The Koopalings are just way better at being assholes.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://nintendoeverything.com/several-pieces-of-new-art-for-travis-strikes-again-no-more-heroes/

Travis Strikes Again art posted. Some of it is alright but it's mostly stuff from the trailer. Such as the uh, trailer.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Sadly the koopalings don't get that with Bowser blood don't matter and are jealous of Junior

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Sadly the koopalings don't get that with Bowser blood don't matter and are jealous of Junior

Bowser insults them pretty regularly and other games imply they're scared of him in the usual "minions are scared of the boss" sort of way

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dizz posted:

Junior is also an rear end in a top hat and a prick, so it's well deserved.

The Koopalings are just way better at being assholes.

all of this because Bowser is a single dad who can't handle his constantly misbehaving wards. try as he might to create a stable family, some rear end in a top hat plumber is always loving it up

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

TheHoosier posted:

all of this because Bowser is a single dad who can't handle his constantly misbehaving wards. try as he might to create a stable family, some rear end in a top hat plumber is always loving it up

What is he doing that he's never there for his kid[s]? And is he such a bitch that the Koopalings aren't terrified of mistreating his son?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
golf story looks amazeballs but there seems to be less golf and more story, which is frankly, ok with me, since we already have the best golf game of all time

neo turf masters

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bowser is pretty awful to Kamek too, and that guy's more or less his adopted father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dizz posted:

What is he doing that he's never there for his kid[s]? And is he such a bitch that the Koopalings aren't terrified of mistreating his son?

maybe he thinks it'll toughen little junior baby son of a bitch up. tough love from ol' Papa B.

• Locked thread