Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

jokes posted:

The most useful skill I have in life is my ability to win equal or (most) disfavored matchups against the AI on VH/Legendary in Total War: Warhammer. Winning your first 3 or so engagements with relatively few casualties usually sets you up for a lot of success in a campaign, so getting good at fighting battles manually is really really helpful. PartyElite's videos are real helpful.

For the first few weeks or so that I played at release, I just could *not* manage that. It was hugely discouraging to realize that the auto-battle consistently got better results than I did. But I'm looking to refocus and really get deeper into it this time. The consensus seems to be that PE is the gold standard. If anyone knows of anything written that I can dig into while in the bathroom or at work on the phone, that'd be great also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

CA is doing a Skaven campaign stream today and it's an absolute trainwreck, got their asses whooped by High Elves, played terrible logistically, lost a Lord to low loyalty, all in all a very Skaven campaign. The game also crashed.

edit/ Now they're getting crushed by the Lizardmen and the game crashed again lmao

Maybe you should have given a link.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Memnaelar posted:

For the first few weeks or so that I played at release, I just could *not* manage that. It was hugely discouraging to realize that the auto-battle consistently got better results than I did. But I'm looking to refocus and really get deeper into it this time. The consensus seems to be that PE is the gold standard. If anyone knows of anything written that I can dig into while in the bathroom or at work on the phone, that'd be great also.

In my current VC playthrough my autoresolve values with monster heavy armies versus dwarves with Ironbreakers etc. are awful so I'm pretty much doing every battle as a matter of course (because I stomp them in battle) and it has been *really* satisfying. I thought taking on the dwarves would be a slog, but it's been amazing. Crypt horrors are my favorite vampire unit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I really don't understand how to play Empire in SFO. I followed the advice someone said in this thread, namely unify Reikland and then go take on the Vampire Counts. This worked out very well as Karl Franz just smashed everything in his way. However even with that I didn't have the time to build to up Reikland enough, Karl got all the RoR to help his conquest of Sylvania and I really can't build anything special. The entire order world has declared war on me for some reason, and Khazark One Eye is running around with invincible bestigors and some kind of super minotaurs called bullgors. He's also managing to get ambushes by running at me, which seems pretty bullshit. Reikland looks like it's totally hosed because aside from him there's also a super Bret stack and a dwarf stack coming for me.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Eimi posted:

He's also managing to get ambushes by running at me, which seems pretty bullshit.

This is the default Beastmen stance. You get a chance to ambush just by attacking someone normally.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Eimi posted:

I really don't understand how to play Empire in SFO. I followed the advice someone said in this thread, namely unify Reikland and then go take on the Vampire Counts. This worked out very well as Karl Franz just smashed everything in his way. However even with that I didn't have the time to build to up Reikland enough, Karl got all the RoR to help his conquest of Sylvania and I really can't build anything special. The entire order world has declared war on me for some reason, and Khazark One Eye is running around with invincible bestigors and some kind of super minotaurs called bullgors. He's also managing to get ambushes by running at me, which seems pretty bullshit. Reikland looks like it's totally hosed because aside from him there's also a super Bret stack and a dwarf stack coming for me.

We're you trespassing on everyone's lands or something?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

We're you trespassing on everyone's lands or something?

No they were attacking defensive allies and I didn't want to break those alliances. Which of course has left me stuck in forever wars as there's no way to peace out everyone in a war at once, attack and defender. Kislev at least isn't being overrun yet, but for some reason Bretonnia is focusing on me when Norsca has taken over all of Couronne. Mousillion has taken care of the rest of the Brets. I somehow maanged to cheese out Khazark by getting lucky on autoresolve as my lovely home defense army couldn't beat the drat Bullgors in a straight up fight. I also somehow won a long campaign victory on turn 48 by taking back Marienburg from the Brets. I guess Archaon counts as defeated if he's not spawned yet?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

No they were attacking defensive allies and I didn't want to break those alliances. Which of course has left me stuck in forever wars as there's no way to peace out everyone in a war at once, attack and defender. Kislev at least isn't being overrun yet, but for some reason Bretonnia is focusing on me when Norsca has taken over all of Couronne. Mousillion has taken care of the rest of the Brets. I somehow maanged to cheese out Khazark by getting lucky on autoresolve as my lovely home defense army couldn't beat the drat Bullgors in a straight up fight. I also somehow won a long campaign victory on turn 48 by taking back Marienburg from the Brets. I guess Archaon counts as defeated if he's not spawned yet?

The same thing happened to me in my first Empire file. I had gotten far enough in the game for chaos to spawn, but was able to beat them back to the wastes before Archaon spawned so with a united Empire I won the campaign.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ughhhh posted:

Does giving gold to AI factions do anything other than give a bonus to diplomacy? Like, would giving gold to some of the Empire factions like Nordland while I have Franz go to the badlands to stomp greenskins make them more likely to survive norscan raids?

It gives them more cash to spend.

I've propped up factions with the contributions i've donated. So it can be worth it depending on the situation.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ughhhh posted:

Does giving gold to AI factions do anything other than give a bonus to diplomacy? Like, would giving gold to some of the Empire factions like Nordland while I have Franz go to the badlands to stomp greenskins make them more likely to survive norscan raids?

The AI does earn and spend money like the player does, so yes.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eimi posted:

First tip for playing empire in SFO or vanilla: do not ally anyone

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't know why people keep saying to spread corruption before you invade anywhere, if you can't besiege a town within a turn of your borders with them just set up in raid stance if you want to avoid a turn of attrition, swarm the world with a unstoppable horde of trash units surrounding a handful of unkillable super combatants backed by the best healing magic.

Also in the campaign, lords as almost every faction are really strong and can beat up quite a few early units before getting exhausted, it doesn't hurt to have some solo lords follow your main army around to soak up experience and help deal with enemy lords, goes double for vampires who are practically a army by themselves and bring some more magic to the table.
Your armies are expensive and shouldn't be used to guard a settlement for ages until there's enough vampire corruption for it to not rebel. If you don't prepare the territory conquering a settlement will cause considerable public order penalties which means your armies are stiffled in their offensive.

Senor Dog posted:

First tip for playing empire in SFO or vanilla: do not ally anyone
This is the golden rule for any total war from the first total war to the last.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mans posted:

Your armies are expensive and shouldn't be used to guard a settlement for ages until there's enough vampire corruption for it to not rebel. If you don't prepare the territory conquering a settlement will cause considerable public order penalties which means your armies are stiffled in their offensive.
Embrace the public order penalties and start murdering rebels for more gold, experience, and possibly battle markers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What are greenskin army comps like in campaign? I took out the main dwarf faction already with just massed ork boyz and Grimgor sniping the leader. You've got boyz as line troops, big uns as anti-large, savage orks as anti-infantry, black orks as elites/AP, so it seems black orks as much as you can afford and then savages with big uns for anti cav support?

e: Also on the AI: The AI does play by all the same money rules you do, but they get a huge amount of flat income just for existing on higher difficulties. So economic pressure will hurt them, but they'll pretty much always be able to field at least one decent stack on hard and above

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the total war skaven stream was on twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/170963905

the guys playing are horrible to listen to and are really bad at playing

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, I would almost just avoid watching it because they're bad and it's not much we haven't seen before, but it's kind of a fun trainwreck at the same time. I was hoping they would lose the campaign before the stream ended.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
DarrenTW's resignation has brought CA to its knees I see

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Really I'd say the golden standard for CA streams was Joey/James last year, but they've both been promoted to better things as far as I can tell.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apparently Darren pulled his 2 hour long stream/rant off twitch and apologized for it.

I say apparently because twitch is down at the moment, heres a link to the video he posted:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/170800464

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Gejnor posted:

Apparently Darren pulled his 2 hour long stream/rant off twitch and apologized for it.

I say apparently because twitch is down at the moment, heres a link to the video he posted:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/170800464

All I get is that his channel has apparently been shut down due to service violations lol

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

StashAugustine posted:

What are greenskin army comps like in campaign? I took out the main dwarf faction already with just massed ork boyz and Grimgor sniping the leader. You've got boyz as line troops, big uns as anti-large, savage orks as anti-infantry, black orks as elites/AP, so it seems black orks as much as you can afford and then savages with big uns for anti cav support?

e: Also on the AI: The AI does play by all the same money rules you do, but they get a huge amount of flat income just for existing on higher difficulties. So economic pressure will hurt them, but they'll pretty much always be able to field at least one decent stack on hard and above

Goblin RoRs are amazing, the mangy wolf riders and rusty arrer archers are insanely good vs dwarf infantry as between them they have great armor piercing, armor sundering, and poison attacks

Goblin Doomdiver catapults are some of the strongest anti-infantry artillery in the whole game as they have insanely good accuracy and deal heavy splash damage

The giant spider RoR and default unit are also a very strong to have one or even two of in any army since they have so much damage and hit points. Their armor piercing is insanely high so they can kill lords and heroes very quickly as well

For your front line you will eventually want a core of black orcs but you absolutely want to pad them out with savage orcs or orc big'uns, and sneaky skulkers to get a very wide front line

Orc Boar Boy Big uns are also a must vs factions with any heavy cavalry or large armored monsters.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 31, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the answer for all greenskin armies is all night goblin fanatics

maybe some spiders or dogs

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

dead comedy forums posted:

Vermintide is the good game and mordheim is the one that sucks, right?

I liked the premise of Mordheim but holy poo poo the RNG was rage-inducing at times. Failing consecutive 90% success dice rolls sucks.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Can someone explain GCCM to me?

Half these maps still say custom battles only. Looking at a bunch of them, most look awesome, but a few look kind of not great ( that Mousillion map looks uh, pretty rough from the initial screenshots. ).

There is talk about how if you make a walled settlement you just get the basic map instead. But other posts saying no, there are now walled settlement versions of a lot of these mods.

So how does this all work.

If I download the mods individually, picking the ones I actually like, do they just load into the games map pool? Or do they have to be loaded by GCCM.

Does GCCM only load the actual race packs? Or if I did have GCCM/various maps would it instead just load the various maps.

How does it handle maps in general. I see a bunch of maps with loaded names ( Nuln, Middenland, etc ), but also a bunch of smaller mods/"Drakenhof Township". Will it just load the settlements semi randomly for the cities that don't have a mod city yet? Is every settlement covered? How does that work?

Is it still set up so that if the AI has built a t2 garrison you just get boring normal siege battle?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

so you install GCCM main, that is just needed

now if you want just greenskin cities to change, get that one map pack

but it doesn't change all dwarf/greenskin cities, just dwarf/greenskin settlements that greenskins own as listed on gccm greenskin workshop page

so you got two mods, GCCM main and GCCM greenskin

if you want any dwarf/greenskin settlement that dwarves change, get the dwarf map pack as well

all the maps are already included in each of these packs so you don't need to install individual maps and can't add to the map packs as far as I know

So some maps are done in a way that they have fortified and unfortified versions

Stonmine fortified owned by greenskins is this map
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=879445351

Stonemine unfortified owned by greenskins is this map
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=879441950

Not all maps have a fortified and unfortified version

if you use a conquer anywhere mod as well, this messes things up since there is no stonemine map for anyone but greenskins or dwarves. So an undead player who owned stonemine will have the normal maps instead.

edit: this should be up to date, maybe

that should be with all gccm maps packs installed

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 31, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Third World Reggin posted:

but it doesn't change all dwarf/greenskin cities, just dwarf/greenskin settlements that greenskins own as listed on gccm greenskin workshop page

if you want any dwarf/greenskin settlement that dwarves change, get the dwarf map pack as well

all the maps are already included in each of these packs so you don't need to install individual maps and can't add to the map packs as far as I know

So some maps are done in a way that they have fortified and unfortified versions

if you use a conquer anywhere mod as well, this messes things up since there is no stonemine map for anyone but greenskins or dwarves. So an undead player who owned stonemine will have the normal maps instead.

Cool, I'll have to check this out! I'm interested to see unique wall configurations in settlements. It also looks like they are working in bridge and river maps as well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If a unit of minotaurs is behind a wide thin unit of ungors are they going to be much use charging in or will they just get stuck behind the ungors and not achieve much?

At the moment I'm bracing my front line with shielded ungors, using spear ungors on the flank to defend against cavaly and running my Gors/Minotaurs behind them with Harpies harassing artillery, and using Chaos hounds to bog down cav so that either the spear ungors or razorgors can eat them, followed by trying to chase down archers with the hounds and flank/side charging with the razorgors.

Any suggestions for improvement on beastmen formations?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

hooman posted:

If a unit of minotaurs is behind a wide thin unit of ungors are they going to be much use charging in or will they just get stuck behind the ungors and not achieve much?

At the moment I'm bracing my front line with shielded ungors, using spear ungors on the flank to defend against cavaly and running my Gors/Minotaurs behind them with Harpies harassing artillery, and using Chaos hounds to bog down cav so that either the spear ungors or razorgors can eat them, followed by trying to chase down archers with the hounds and flank/side charging with the razorgors.

Any suggestions for improvement on beastmen formations?

I like to have my shielded minotaurs in front, with my great weapon minotaurs on the flanks. Back row is my minotaurs.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
As beastmen there are never enough minotaurs, unless you are playing as Chaos spawn dude then just replace the minotaurs with chaos spawn.

The exception to this is when you run into an army consisting entirely of halbrediers but I find that rare enough that going all minotaurs all the time is both an effective and fun strategy. Think of every other unit as support to the minotaurs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mans posted:

This is the golden rule for any total war from the first total war to the last.

Unless you are Wood Elves, arguably. The various Bretonnian factions seem to almost never declare war amongst each other, so you can safely ally with the lot of them for a big old chunk of amber without the risk of the whole thing falling apart due to stupid intra-alliance wars.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Unless you are Wood Elves, arguably. The various Bretonnian factions seem to almost never declare war amongst each other, so you can safely ally with the lot of them for a big old chunk of amber without the risk of the whole thing falling apart due to stupid intra-alliance wars.

I find that on VH Wood Elf campaigns the Brets won't ally with me for love nor money. I research the tech, attack their enemies and avoid trespassing where possible and the stubborn French pricks still won't share any of their sweet amber.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

So what happens if you attack one of the blue dots? Just old CA settlements? Or do you get just get one of the generic "township" maps.

How's the overall quality. Most of the Empire/VC/Dwarf/Greenskin maps look alright to great, but a lot of the Brett/Tila maps look not great. The Luccini, Tobaro, and Mousllion maps for example look like a little much with these massive open spaces, but that might just be the pictures on the workshop. Can the AI usually handle whats going on? Or rather, does the AI ever get super stuck on it. I realize it'll be easy to cheese them and that's fine.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I just realized La Maisontaal abbey = Mansion of Taal

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Most of the maps have a mediocre ai but some of them are so bad. I don't mind though because the ai isn't really a threat anymore so I just use them because they're pretty.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Third attempt got me to 115 before Chaos rolled in with a triple doomstack setup that was unstoppable. I think a combination of not enough early expansion, walling up everything instead of investing in tier 3 stables/war machines, and not enough killing all the Norsca kind of doomed me in the end. I could probably confederate the remaining Empire lands earlier and sign Defensive pacts pre-Norsca-war-declaration with everyone who will go for it too. A lot of the game was spent being afraid of a strong Goblin southern border that turned out to be wrecked hard by Dwarves.

I'm kind of confused by the campaign objective, though, since if you're strong enough to fight off Chaos you're just going to mop up the world, so I'm wondering if "beat Chaos" was the original and the rest of the goals were appended to make it race-specific later.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mailer posted:

Third attempt got me to 115 before Chaos rolled in with a triple doomstack setup that was unstoppable. I think a combination of not enough early expansion, walling up everything instead of investing in tier 3 stables/war machines, and not enough killing all the Norsca kind of doomed me in the end. I could probably confederate the remaining Empire lands earlier and sign Defensive pacts pre-Norsca-war-declaration with everyone who will go for it too. A lot of the game was spent being afraid of a strong Goblin southern border that turned out to be wrecked hard by Dwarves.

I'm kind of confused by the campaign objective, though, since if you're strong enough to fight off Chaos you're just going to mop up the world, so I'm wondering if "beat Chaos" was the original and the rest of the goals were appended to make it race-specific later.

Walling up everything is absolutely valid and even borderline necessary as Empire, at least for the minor settlements. If you leave even one of your settlements unwalled you can be certain that some rear end in a top hat Orc or Beastmen army will waltz in at the worst possible time and burn it down. Walls will generally force enemy armies to siege for a few turns, which gives you enough time to bring back an army to deal with them so you don't have to babysit your own territory all the time.

But yeah, better artillery and cavalry can be a great help against Chaos. Even the high-tier Empire Infantry like Greatswords is only decent and will struggle against Chaos infantry. Meanwhile, a cannonball to the face will take care of those just fine, and Demigryph Knights will blend just about anything you point them at.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

I just realized La Maisontaal abbey = Mansion of Taal

I think maison means home rather than mansion (in French).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I find that on VH Wood Elf campaigns the Brets won't ally with me for love nor money. I research the tech, attack their enemies and avoid trespassing where possible and the stubborn French pricks still won't share any of their sweet amber.

Very Hard adds in a bunch penalties that make certain niche playstyles like diplomacy impossible.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You can do diplomacy even on legendary but it becomes somewhat out of your control as a strong AI won't make good deals. You have to have a strong power rating on the diplomacy screen and it helps if they are a lot weaker and you offer to declare war on their enemy. Best time to get a deal is if they just lost an army. So on harder difficulties you generally attack the strong and negotiate with the weak. Helping the AI prior to getting deals is a mistake because that keeps them strong and then you don't get deals, so try to be fashionably late instead.

I hardly ever want more than just non-aggression, trade and military access deals, but that's a trio you can get loads of times from AI factions if you time your offers right (depending on your faction).

Mukip fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Most of the maps have a mediocre ai but some of them are so bad. I don't mind though because the ai isn't really a threat anymore so I just use them because they're pretty.

Some of the extremely large GCC maps have a navmesh in places that's only one unit wide, a group of 5-6 units will be forced into a narrow column despite the visual terrain being significantly wider. The bretonnia maps look very nice though, the city architecture is inspired by the same real life locations and castles that the Witcher 3 imitates for the city of Beauclair.

• Locked thread