Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

How can I shoot 5 feet to the left of someone, and then complain about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

Holo is The Cursed. Do not touch The Cursed.

What's with the holo lens hate? Did I miss something, or is this just bad opinion?

I'd take holo over iron sights on some guns any day, it works nice on the s12k presonally

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

VulgarandStupid posted:

Watch my stream and I'll show you. It's easy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mistle posted:

What's with the holo lens hate? Did I miss something, or is this just bad opinion?

I'd take holo over iron sights on some guns any day, it works nice on the s12k presonally

you see more with red dot and you're almost guaranteed to come across one at some point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mistle posted:

Holo is the worst sight. No magnification, but also it doesn't give you a wide fov like the red dot.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I want to play with yall

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
The thing I like about the holo v the red dot is the center dot on the holo is smaller and doesn't have the glare so it's easier to take distance headshots with. Niche though I guess.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
So in the absence of coherency on the discord, and in addition to my newness to the game, im just ogin to leave my steam name here

Neukoln19

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My gripe with the holo is that it's bulky and takes up a lot of screen space, and while the very center dot is smaller, the sight in general is just in the way. Irons feel much better on almost every gun.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Black Griffon posted:

My gripe with the holo is that it's bulky and takes up a lot of screen space, and while the very center dot is smaller, the sight in general is just in the way. Irons feel much better on almost every gun.

Holo is great because you can just use the outer edges of the circle to line up, roughly, the chest and if you have your tac stock and compensator just hold LMB and go hog wild. Might not be great for precision at a distance, or scouting/spotting people at a distance (which is really the only time that the bulkiness of it hinders anything), but it's the best for full auto.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RizieN posted:

Holo is great because you can just use the outer edges of the circle to line up, roughly, the chest and if you have your tac stock and compensator just hold LMB and go hog wild. Might not be great for precision at a distance, or scouting/spotting people at a distance (which is really the only time that the bulkiness of it hinders anything), but it's the best for full auto.

Correct. I like reticles with a ring around the dot for this reason.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
A dude in a squad game I was in ambushed me and immediately double-tapped me through my level 2 helmet with a pistol before I could get off one shot with my M4

he then proceeded to miss every single one of two magazines worth of shots against my teammate and died when my teammate found a shotgun

my man used up all his John Wick points on me :(

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've punched people to death during initial drop and had them get on mic yelling about lag before because they went down while reloading instead of trying to punch back, it's great.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 31, 2017

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
So in solo games--where do you all suggest I parachute?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Neukoln19 posted:

Depends.

I used to drop in the country a lot, towards the interior. There are less people, maybe one or two, if any. You can usually win a small cluster of houses for yourself easy peasy, then move wherever. Sometimes you win the loot lotto, sometimes you loot 5 houses and come up with a shotgun, an uzi, no vest, no helmet, no boosties. If the circle spawns on the other side of the map, you have no loot, no mobility, and you're going to have to run. You will probably die bored and miserable in a field, killed by someone who actually found a rifle.

Now I drop in the cities. This is a bit dicier, especially if you can't load reliably, but it is a lot more fun. You don't have to drop in the biggest city in the plane's path, but more houses increases your chance of finding loot, people to shoot, and a vehicle in which to scoot. Worst case scenario: you die fast.

If you really don't want to drop somewhere with a lot of combat for whatever reason, drop on a city or on a named location close to the coast and a major road. The coastline roads have the most vehicles, and boats spawn on the beach. Do not drop on some bullshit cluster of shacks in the middle of nowhere because that poo poo sucks. It doesn't even help you learn anything.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Depends.

I used to drop in the country a lot, towards the interior. There are less people, maybe one or two, if any. You can usually win a small cluster of houses for yourself easy peasy, then move wherever. Sometimes you win the loot lotto, sometimes you loot 5 houses and come up with a shotgun, an uzi, no vest, no helmet, no boosties. If the circle spawns on the other side of the map, you have no loot, no mobility, and you're going to have to run. You will probably die bored and miserable in a field, killed by someone who actually found a rifle.

Now I drop in the cities. This is a bit dicier, especially if you can't load reliably, but it is a lot more fun. You don't have to drop in the biggest city in the plane's path, but more houses increases your chance of finding loot, people to shoot, and a vehicle in which to scoot. Worst case scenario: you die fast.

If you really don't want to drop somewhere with a lot of combat for whatever reason, drop on a city or on a named location close to the coast and a major road. The coastline roads have the most vehicles, and boats spawn on the beach. Do not drop on some bullshit cluster of shacks in the middle of nowhere because that poo poo sucks. It doesn't even help you learn anything.

Exxxxtremely helpful post-ty

What you said abt houses--would it make sense to post up for the "long game"?

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
yo are the servers borked?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Neukoln19 posted:

Let me preface this by saying that I am bad.

I used to post up a lot where I thought the circle would shrink. I didn't get many kills, I didn't see many fights. I did not get any practice. I often lost most of my fights that I didn't start. It was extremely boring and honestly kind of frustrating.

Yeah, if you wait, you will absolutely waste some rear end in a top hat that walks into your house if you're standing there with your shotgun on the only door. Then you'll probably die, either because the border shrank too fast for you to outrun, or because someone killed you as you were running through an open field. You are more likely to die exiting your house than you are driving deeper into the circle with a vehicle.

I only start to seriously think about a place to hole up when it gets down to the final 30 and the circle's about the size of a silver dollar, because I have played too many games where I died because I played too passively.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Plus, every person you kill in a city increases your loot speed exponentially. You drop and start looting. You run into a guy. You win that fight. Guess what? You've just looted twice as fast, because you got all of your buildings plus what he cleared. Kill another guy? That's times four. Winning just 2 fights in a city will just about finish your loadout. Contrast with running around Stalber or the Ruins by yourself, praying you back into an AR looting at 1/4th the speed (relative to the example above).

There'll always be cause to mix it up, but if I had to play one game for all the marbles, I'd think you just drop Pochinki and figure it out from there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I actually had fun playing the pubg lite mode in GTA 5. Played a few rounds and it definitely depends on how retarded your teammates are, but I got in a couple wins by being smart and grouping up and getting a good vehicle. The vehicle based combat is definitely where it shines so really it's kind of a whole different thing from PUBG but it was kind of cool to see a similar format in a good engine with fun physics. Reinforced the idea that I would really like to see what a PUBG game made with a AAA budget and resources would look like.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Neukoln19 posted:

So in the absence of coherency on the discord, and in addition to my newness to the game, im just ogin to leave my steam name here

Neukoln19

Just join a channel and ask people to play

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah folks were a little crusty at the SA PUBG discord chat :rolleyes:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Neukoln19 posted:

well you sound like a little bitch rear end baby here so maybe the problem is you

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just be obscene to everyone in the discord then people will play with you

i pop in every once in a while just to tell everyone to go gently caress themselves

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Neukoln19 posted:

you want to land in populated areas but far enough away that you don't get one-pumped like a chump due to RNG. This takes a little practice but some examples are:

- Military docks, but land in the town itself instead of the crates. There are a couple of good buildings with roofs that will let you at least get a gun on the drop.
- South Georgopol, but land on the row of 6 red double-stories near the bridge
- Rozhok but land on the south side of the road opposite the diner/restaurant thingy

Once you get real good at clicking on heads if you're going for ~max wins~ dropping miles away from anyone makes good sense because you can take whatever trash you get and turn it into good stuff by killing people in the midgame. At a certain level dropping into school or military base becomes a crapshoot where it's basically 90% luck whether you live more than 2 minutes.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i just realized i'm running 2x4gb of RAM for some stupid reason

i hate myself from three years ago

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I gave FPP solo another shot today, and did much, much better than I normally do in TPP. It is just so much easier to get the drop on people and move around.

Then I decided to try solo'ing in squads.

This is the most fun I have ever had in this game, by far. Huge clusters of people, lots of fighting, lots of movement, it is so much easier to find a group of people to shoot at than one guy sitting in a bush on a hill. When you die, you are annihilated in force. When you succeed, you feel smug beyond words. You sure get a lot of combat and spotting practice in a hurry.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i love dr disrespect tbh

he reminds me of ben stiller in dodgeball

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Neukoln19 posted:

You got mad about a response saying this game has a lot of variables so there is no single great place to drop.

Next you'll ask if there's a singular config option you can change to make your game both beautiful and run well, while ignoring the last decade of hardware improvements.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 31, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

VulgarandStupid posted:

You got mad about a response saying this game has a lot of variables so there is no single great place to drop.

what are you talking about? are you having a stroke?

edit: i see you quoted the wrong post, no biggie my friend :)

Zo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 31, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

They need to make the best weapon more available, the motorcycle, which does incredible violence via sick flips and gyrations

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chard posted:

They need to make the best weapon more available, the motorcycle, which does incredible violence via sick flips and gyrations

100% mortality rate for all riders.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

100% mortality rate for all riders.

Yes but also you get Ben Hur wheel blades :black101:

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Chard posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/171107828

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Chacotaco playing solo vs squads, some accidents happen as squadmates come to save their downed teammates.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DeterminedCoweringLocustEleGiggle

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Neukoln19 posted:

what happened

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i wish fpp had stats so it could record me and my buddy getting our first duo win, followed immediately by our second

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Anyone have the patch notes for the 900m update that just went up?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else having problems connecting???

Ahhh a patch. Nevermind.

Nope still can't connect.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
They fixed the motorcycle physics, and there is now a new way to get a chicken dinner. You have to fly the motorcycle back up to a C-130.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZEELIMeyOk

• Locked thread