Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

anyway:

the film's absolutely well shot but the script is terrible and while the cast gives it their all there's only so much they can do to elevate the material, and taking a thing that was mostly interesting for the high-stakes plotting and overdramtic counter-counter-counter strategies and turning it into final destination but less interesting is bad. 'well shot gore' isn't exactly enough to make me think something's really good

these are basically my thoughts

it was kind of funny how pissed off my brother got watching it though just cause he hated the poo poo out of the script so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it would have been a good movie if they just adapted the manga panel where ryuk asks light to buy him a silver game boy advance sp

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I enjoyed the subtle social commentary that in this American remake, the police at large immediately support Kira's extrajudicial slaughter of suspected criminals.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Too bad it wasn't the bourgeoisie... :sigh:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My thoughts: I'm glad you all watched it so I don't have to.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

The Colonel posted:

it would have been a good movie if they just adapted the manga panel where ryuk asks light to buy him a silver game boy advance sp

https://twitter.com/billion_maiden/status/901832588159057920

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/ActionZacku/status/902562519956414465

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Holy crap the Darkside Blues guy writes some good stuff. Reminds me of Clive Barker with some action mixed in. 90s sexy gory horror at its finest.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Death Note has always been overrated.

Except for OP 2. OP 2 has always been underrated. "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!"

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

anyway:

the film's absolutely well shot

counterpoint: dutch angles everywhere

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i just think its dumb that guys name was really just watari

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

i just think its dumb that guys name was really just watari

What about L

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

What about L

in the movie he controls/kills watari with the death note, based solely on just the name watari. even if it's not a fake name its not even a full name! cant do the same for L though apparently

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Death Note has always been overrated.

Except for OP 2. OP 2 has always been underrated. "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!"

HEY HEY NINGEN SUCKER
YA NINGEN NINGEN FUCKER

Also god dammit, I pulled up Netflix to see if I wanted to watch anything and it's right there staring me in the face.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 31, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Watari was a loving alias in the anime lol. His real name was Walter or something

e: It was actually something incredibly stupid. "True Name: Quillsh Wammy"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Honestly being called Quilsh Wammy is the best way to avoid being killed by the Death Note at all because no one would think of writing that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Death Note had a bit of a problem with naming non-Japanese characters in general, really.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Death Note had a bit of a problem with naming non-Japanese characters in general, really.

please do not speak badly of my friends Beyond Birthday, Backyard Bottomslash, and Ill Ratt

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I caved and started the movie. About 20 minutes in and it's....okay. Not great, not awful yet.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would kinda maybe make sense the orphanage for super kids would give them all bizarre names but then they also had Nate River so

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like honestly it seems like the sticking point is based primarily on why you're watching the movie

I give zero fucks about the fact that it's adapting Death Note because, while I like the DN anime and manga, they're not like my absolute favorites or anything and it's been a long rear end time anyhow (jesus I think I watched DN in high school actually)

however, finding out that it was an Adam Wingard joint got me kind of hype because that dude's movies are extremely my poo poo, The Guest owned. then I found out that the second unit director was Jason Eisener, of Hobo with a Shotgun fame, and that Wingard basically just told him "go hog wild," and got insanely goddamn hype because Hobo with a Shotgun is one of my favorite movies. and it is absolutely the result of those two guys directing it and Wingard telling Eisener to go hog the gently caress wild on everything he shot, so there was basically no possible way I was gonna hate it, even if it was literally making GBS threads on every individual page of the manga. like it could have been Dragonball Evolution levels of "bad adaptation" and, as long as that was still intact, I'd still have probably dug the gently caress out of it. Willem Dafoe absolutely goddamn killing it as Ryuk helped, and honestly I thought the actors for Light and Mia did extremely well with their roles too, even if those roles were pretty different than in the original (oddly enough, they kinda reminded me of the protagonists of Future Diary more than the original Light and Misa).

meanwhile, if you're watching it because you're a DN fan... ho-lee poo poo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

most of what i'm hearing about the movie is that it is bad, but some people enjoy the badness

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

most of what i'm hearing about the movie is that it is bad, but some people enjoy the badness

nah, it's good. it's a really weird adaptation and the script is a little dumb in parts, but literally every other aspect of the movie is :discourse:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm just about halfway in, and don't love it, don't hate it, but at least it's not boring. Squarely okay.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, this is literally the only joke that's landed for me in the first 3 episodes of Seitokai Yakuindomo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZhfUzGtD4

I had such high hopes too...

Oh well.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hi. Not really a big fan of Death Note, but I saw the movie. On its own merits, as its own thing, I woukd still consider DN a bad film. I'll agree William did an excellent job as Ryuk, and L was an enjoyable character too, and most scenes his actor did a good job. And yeah, a lot of the effects were neat, I'll give it that. However, my main gripe with the movie is the script and character dialogue in most scenes is pretty loving atrocious, and the acting for pretty much all of the other characters (especially Mia and Light's Dad) sucked. The ending is also bullshit considering Light Turner, who clearly has no common sense throughout the film, manages to 7th Dimensional Chess manipulate everything to fall into place for his happy ending.

It's not bottom of the barrel by any means, but it's definitely on the bad side of movies. (Also, just a personal gripe with it, the movie was trying way too hard to be edgy; not only did you have tons of Final-Destination-style deaths, but constant F and S bombs, as well as interspersed sex scenes/tit shots)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best thing I can say about it so far is it's giving me a hankering to revisit the original.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Ohhh, you're the rear end in a top hat that keeps getting Resident Evil movies made.

the RE movies are fun suck my dick from the back

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I don't wanna watch Milla Jovovich do flips in tight clothes for an hour - a hugde loving idiot

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay this loving climax.

This movie is a big ol' airport novel of a movie. It's not particularly great, or even very good, but it'll carry you through an hour and a half.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 31, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

the RE movies are fun suck my dick from the back

I'll confess, I can't stop laughing at the one RE movie that has a smirking Wesker with those bitchin' shades, right before a fight starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU

I don't even know which one it's from, but it passes the "so bad it's good" test with flying colours.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The ending fuckin' sucks though. They want a sequel too much.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

I don't wanna watch Milla Jovovich do flips in tight clothes for an hour - a hugde loving idiot

When it comes to really bad CG monster fests with female leads in cool clothes from the mid-to-late 2000s, I'm a Beckinsale guy. :shrug:

Also; don't sign your posts.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, this is literally the only joke that's landed for me in the first 3 episodes of Seitokai Yakuindomo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZhfUzGtD4

I had such high hopes too...

Oh well.

Yeah if you're not on board yet it's probably not for you. I don't recall if judo girl and Hata have been introduced by that point, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't care about any live-action wesker whose hair isn't made out of kraft macaroni and cheese

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/luckycricket33/status/902679679534071808

:yeah: :3:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

the greatest crossover doujin ever created

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/SegaCDgames/status/903069000619483136

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ecco is loving hardcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Goddamnit Rumia

• Locked thread