Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

There's nothing surprising about that though. His brother and dad were lawful stupid too, riding by themselves to the Mad King's door. Hell Robb was pretty stupid too. It's in the blood.

They did stupid things. Heroes who do heroic things dying is a clear running theme in the GoT world. Arthur Dayne and Rhaegar died for similar reasons.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

some guy on the bus posted:

You're misremembering. That led to Ned being hurt but he was still Hand of the King after that. It was Jaime that fled the city afterwards. Up to the point where Robert died and Ned was summoned to swear fealty to Joffrey, Ned was still a free man and able to go back to Winterfell at any time. But he had to go and make a big deal out of Joffrey not being the true heir.

Tywin had gone to war against the Riverlands and by proxy the North at that point, because of Tyrion. Technically Ned was Hand of the King but you're wrong if you think at that point Ned could have said "Hey let's just bury the hatchet" and things could have just gone back to normal.

Anyway whether or not it was a point of no return, the point was Littlefinger deliberately lied to Cat and Ned about the dagger in order to provoke them into war.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The actual important things Littlefinger did was the assassination of Jon Arryn which led to Ned becoming Hand and going to King's Landing, and betraying him during his coup. Everything else was just poo poo he piled on to hide the master plan of getting rid of Ned so he could gently caress Cat. Everything else could've been more or less defused but Ned's execution forced Robb's hand. I guess the third important thing he did was bail out Sansa when he needed a surrogate Cat to obsess over, since that caused the Vale to show up to bail out Jon against Ramsay, and the Vale plot is one of the few redeeming factors of the latter books.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I don't know why, but Sam assigned to transcribe a 20y old book for the library did it for me. I genuinely started laughing how that made zero loving sense

In my headcanon, Sam's boss at maester school gave him that diary on purpose for Sam to make that very discovery. I'm meeting the show way more than halfway on this, I know.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

The actual important things Littlefinger did was the assassination of Jon Arryn which led to Ned becoming Hand and going to King's Landing, and betraying him during his coup. Everything else was just poo poo he piled on to hide the master plan of getting rid of Ned so he could gently caress Cat. Everything else could've been more or less defused but Ned's execution forced Robb's hand. I guess the third important thing he did was bail out Sansa when he needed a surrogate Cat to obsess over, since that caused the Vale to show up to bail out Jon against Ramsay, and the Vale plot is one of the few redeeming factors of the latter books.

Littlefinger's choices were to retire to the Vale and hang out with crazy lady and her son until further notice or kidnap rescue Sansa and plot to take over the North, so I can totally understand where he was coming from.

Interestingly, if you played the old AGOT mod for Crusader Kings, the Vale was an easy claim to get your hands on if you started playing as the North but holding the Vale and the North at the same time was a pretty stupid play, as it was for Littlefinger.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 30, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The Little Kielbasa posted:

In my headcanon, Sam's boss at maester school gave him that diary on purpose for Sam to make that very discovery. I'm meeting the show way more than halfway on this, I know.

Copying books was basically all scholars and priests did in ye olde days.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

tadashi posted:

You think the Lannisters were going to let Ned go quietly back to Winterfell after they knew what he knew (since he had been investigating all the bastards) and given that Brann knew about Jamie and Cersei?

I mean, he should have left and called his banners to at least protect the North but everything was in motion. He forced their hand but the plot against Robert was all but done and there was no way the Lannisters would led Ned ride off into the sunset.

I assumed that Cersei actually really was returning the favor of Ned giving her a warning by giving him one last chance. Cersei was even unhappy with Jaime for pushing Bran out the window. Told him that he was just a child. She was a more nuanced character in Season 1.

I did forget that Tywin was already attacking Riverrun though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Copying books was basically all scholars and priests did in ye olde days.

They kind of wasted Jim Broadbent, no?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tadashi posted:

No, he got plenty of screen time, and I bet we even get one more shot of the Maesters in Season 8, being all proven wrong about poo poo when they start getting ravens about the undead army taking Winterfell and poo poo.

They wasted Ian McShane. :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WampaLord posted:

They wasted Ian McShane. :colbert:

yarp.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

tadashi posted:

Ian MacShane and Alexander Siddig send their regards

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Alexander Siddig was happy to get paid for the episodes he didn't end up having to film, he was down for 4 but died within 5 minutes of the first one.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Can someone please explain what the quote "chaos is a ladder" means?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Oliver Reed posted:

Can someone please explain what the quote "chaos is a ladder" means?

when poo poo goes down- opportunistic people will find a way to climb over others to advance their station in life

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

LF started out the series being a glorified adviser and small business owner and ended up the head of a noble house, commanding and directing a fairly powerful force and forging alliances with other houses until his poo poo came crashing down.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Constant posted:

when poo poo goes down- opportunistic people will find a way to climb over others to advance their station in life

Okay, this makes a ton of sense and actually fits with who Littlefinger is (or was, during the first few seasons of the show).

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Oliver Reed posted:

Okay, this makes a ton of sense and actually fits with who Littlefinger is (or was, during the first few seasons of the show).

Bankers and real estate types have a saying: "Buy when theres blood in the streets" its kinda like that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Same with Bronn, that pirate that became Master of Sails, the Boltons, etc

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

I like Bronn but can understand the ambivalence, I think it comes from the show's inability to have a character leave and never come back, with Daario being the only exception I can think of

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cornflakes posted:

I like Bronn but can understand the ambivalence, I think it comes from the show's inability to have a character leave and never come back, with Daario being the only exception I can think of

Plenty of characters (some more important than him) were axed without much ceremony

But Bronn quickly became a fan favorite, so they decided to keep him around, doing stuff other characters were supposed to do

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cornflakes posted:

My only hope is that the Daario stuff has a payoff when Euron tries to go to Essos to hire people to come fight Dany. All that time in Essos lost, like tears in the rain.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bbf2 posted:

Is Bronn ever happy? Sad? Contemplative? Solemn? We've seen pretty much every other character in the top 20 or so of screentime go through a gamut of emotions. We've seen them at their worst, at their best, etc. But throughout it all Bronn is always just dismissive and sarcastic no matter what the gently caress else is going on around him or what's happening to him.

The closest examples I can think of of Bronn showing any other emotion at all are A) the brief minute in season 2 during the Blackwater where he saves Sandor's life with an arrow. For those few seconds, he seems quiet and solemn, and B) during this most recent episode when he tells Tyrion that "I missed you as well," which seemed to indicate some sort of attachment/emotion for about two seconds before he was back to his sarcastic and aloof self and taking Podrick out for drinks.

I dunno, he seemed pretty happy when he had that lady on his knee, drinking and singing with other bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDl-H8wNJ18

I would definitely not call him "dismissive and sarcastic" in this scene.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's cool that usually when we see a character saying something to another character and the sound fades out while dramatic music fades in it's cinematic shorthand for "the characters heard what's spoken but this information is intentionally withheld from the viewers for dramatic effect" while in GoT when Bran was watching Lyanna hand Jon off to Ned and the music wells it was also apparently queue for Bran to stop paying attention too or something, perhaps the music drowned out Lyanna's voice? Who knows.

Really it's such a shocking case of partial knowledge where he was actually present at the scene, figured out he was observing Jon's birth and just zoned out completely and spent months apparently thinking Jon was a Sand. Like he was right there, he already saw it!

Bran took three tries at the ToJ scene before figuring it out.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Oliver Reed posted:

Book LF is, at least so far, a genuinely smooth operator with logical and subtle plans. His invisible hand triggered the war and perpetuates it at multiple points while building his status and staying out of anyone's crosshairs.

Season 1-4 is book LF but much more in the spotlight and gloatier, like that ladder speech.

Season 5-7 LF is when they ran out of books and he turned into a smarmy creep careening from one incoherent, short-term plan after another, all of which are built on transparent, High School drama manipulation of the single person most familiar with his bullshit.

Like really, what the gently caress was the point of marrying Sansa to Ramsay?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You could explain it as: He wasn't completely gone in the head then, and started pulling back when the horror of watching his own aunt bleed to death got too much for him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's cool that usually when we see a character saying something to another character and the sound fades out while dramatic music fades in it's cinematic shorthand for "the characters heard what's spoken but this information is intentionally withheld from the viewers for dramatic effect" while in GoT when Bran was watching Lyanna hand Jon off to Ned and the music wells it was also apparently queue for Bran to stop paying attention too or something, perhaps the music drowned out Lyanna's voice? Who knows.

Really it's such a shocking case of partial knowledge where he was actually present at the scene, figured out he was observing Jon's birth and just zoned out completely and spent months apparently thinking Jon was a Sand. Like he was right there, he already saw it!

Bran took three tries at the ToJ scene before figuring it out.

It also made me mad that for Sam, he can explain what "I am the Three Eyed Raven" means but he wouldn't give the same 2 sentence explanation for Arya or Sansa.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bran is like one of those old school early video games where you have to be very very specific with the instructions

You are in a dark corridor
>look
You see nothing, it is dark.
> look down
You see a lamp
>pick up the lamp
You pick up the lamp. The lamp illuminates the way ahead
>look left
You see a door
>hold the door
I'm sorry I don't understand that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bbf2 posted:

Okay, hot take alert incoming.

Am I the only one who's kind of sick of the show version of Bronn?

Bronn has been with us since season 1, and in terms of characters with the most screentime and lines he's probably somewhere in the 14th-18th range.

And yet, somehow throughout all of that, he has mostly only ever displayed ONE personality trait: being sardonic.

No matter whatever else is happening around him, ShowBronn is always aloof, always sarcastic and mocking, always making wisecracks.

In mortal peril? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Receiving honors, rewards, and promotions that he could never have expected to receive in his entire lifetime? He's aloof and sarcastic, and makeing wisecracks. Being seduced by a beautiful woman and then finding out she's tricked you and has actually poisoned you? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Fighting a dragon in the face of certain death? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Reuiniting with a friend you haven't seen in years? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks.

Is Bronn ever happy? Sad? Contemplative? Solemn? We've seen pretty much every other character in the top 20 or so of screentime go through a gamut of emotions. We've seen them at their worst, at their best, etc. But throughout it all Bronn is always just dismissive and sarcastic no matter what the gently caress else is going on around him or what's happening to him.

When he and tyrion are surrounded by hill people in s1 hes not very aloof or sarcastic. Also the scene where he visits tyrion in prison is pretty emotional

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

When he and tyrion are surrounded by hill people in s1 hes not very aloof or sarcastic. Also the scene where he visits tyrion in prison is pretty emotional

One of the best scenes in the series.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The things that make me like Bronn are:
- He is one of the few consistent characters ie. he didn't become a retard between seasons like LF, Varys or Tyrion
- His emotional moments are subtle, like when he convinces Jaime to go visit Tyrion in the cells by telling him he was the first person Tyrion chose as his champion at the Vale.
- He has escalated the social ladder without ever overreaching and ending up getting killed and knowing when to fold it. In this respect he succeeded where LF and Pycelle failed.
- He goes to the point and doesn't ham it up with Reason You Suck or Patrick Stewart speeches like almost all the other characters do.
- He is sarcastic but without it coming off as hammy and annoying like Euron

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

MoaM posted:

Jaime asks Cersei to give the order and she gives a vague nod towards the Mountain; it's not really an order to kill Jaime. As everyone with visual memory, auditory memory and empathy knows, Zombie-Mountain didn't just oblige Tyrion with suicide either.

That mongo has at least dog-like intelligence and understanding.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lezard_valeth posted:

- He is one of the few consistent characters ie. he didn't become a retard between seasons like LF, Varys or Tyrion
- His emotional moments are subtle, like when he convinces Jaime to go visit Tyrion in the cells by telling him he was the first person Tyrion chose as his champion at the Vale.
- He has escalated the social ladder without ever overreaching and ending up getting killed and knowing when to fold it. In this respect he succeeded where LF and Pycelle failed.
- He goes to the point and doesn't ham it up with Reason You Suck or Patrick Stewart speeches like almost all the other characters do.

Granting him a larger role than what he has in the books was definitely a form of fan service but for once it was the good kind of fan service.

I guess they arguably did that for the Hound as well although we don't know what his final arc will be in the books because fat man won't ever write them.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

lezard_valeth posted:

To be fair to LF, Bronn got everything handed to him once he reached KL without really doing any work by agreeing to any deal the Lannister siblings offered him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bran is bad and shouldn't have been part of the story imo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

One of the best scenes in the series.

Agree, that's another one of Season 1 highlights.

quote:

Tyrion: And here we have Bronn, son of ...
Bronn: You wouldn't know him.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Plenty of characters (some more important than him) were axed without much ceremony

But Bronn quickly became a fan favorite, so they decided to keep him around, doing stuff other characters were supposed to do

That's true, but I'm talking characters who left the show alive. The ones I can think of besides Daario:

-Salladhor
-The red priestess in Mereen
-The slaver who joked about cock merchants
-Oliver
-Meera maybe, but not if the leaked spoilers are true (and even if they aren't I think she'll be back).

Maybe I'm blanking

DrNutt posted:

My only hope is that the Daario stuff has a payoff when Euron tries to go to Essos to hire people to come fight Dany. All that time in Essos lost, like tears in the rain.

Having just criticized D&D for never sending characters away for good, I admit I would like this to happen :v:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Kinvara will almost certainly return, at the time she was cast Anya Bookstein said in interviews she'll have a recurring role, which didn't really happen so far as she only appeared once.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

bran is bad and shouldn't have been part of the story imo.

He really should have died in the first episode. Would have required a bit of rewriting to make the mystery over who pushed him out to work in s1, but we would have been spared from so many terrible pointless scenes over the years.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just get rid of Rickon completely and have Bran be the one that gets killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Pycelle didn't have any long term goals besides banging hookers and trying to not to get killed during regime changes.

• Locked thread