Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Libraries in the bay area are very good, I borrow books regularly from my local branch and have booked private study rooms to do software projects / whiteboard coding / job interview practice with friends.

Libraries can be very crowded especially since they're one of the few places homeless people can relax indoors without being hassled, but I've had very few bad experiences in libraries altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
is India one of those places with a food culture thdt requires you to eat super loud? there's a couple guys who sit near me that eat so loud they can't just be not closing their mouths, it has to be that they're deliberately being noisy. it drives me insane. i think eating at your desk is really bad etiquette in a shared space, especially when you have a nonstop stream of snacks all day.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cis autodrag posted:

is India one of those places with a food culture thdt requires you to eat super loud? there's a couple guys who sit near me that eat so loud they can't just be not closing their mouths, it has to be that they're deliberately being noisy. it drives me insane. i think eating at your desk is really bad etiquette in a shared space, especially when you have a nonstop stream of snacks all day.

The wily asiatic only respects force. Kick the rear end of the smaller of the two men and make your demands known as you stand athwart his crumpled, unconscious body.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 31, 2017

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

when i lived in india the corporate cafeteria where i was had a massive bank of sinks right in the middle forming a hallway that bridged to the two sections together

the sinks were for washing your hands after you ate because often you eat with your hands, makes sense

many people would groom themselves and clear their throats/sinuses really loudly and spit into the sinks, it was a constant chorus of this that echoed through the cafeteria

eventually you can tune it out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

its probably more that lots of nerds have lovely table manners.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

all my indian coworkers eat normally (if anything they eat more politely than most people), so i guess these guys are probably just awkward idiots with no manners?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AnoHito posted:

all my indian coworkers eat normally (if anything they eat more politely than most people), so i guess these guys are probably just awkward idiots with no manners?

sweet i feel fine asking them to stop then. i didn't want to be culturally insensitive or whatever

dude was eating loving peanuts today and somehow managed to make it sound like he was slurping ramen

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
*HR Lady at a place I interviewed calls me while I'm busy/on a call. I don't pick up*
*10 minutes later e-mail arrives..."Please let me know when I can call you"*
"I'm pretty busy, is this something that can be discussed via e-mail?"
"No it's not, sorry."
When I finally can talk on the phone, it's just to say they want to offer me $x for the job.
"ok, can you send me that in an e-mail?"
"I don't think there's anything to put in an e-mail, the offer is $x, just like I said!"

HR-ed!

(no paper trail? is that their game?)

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

cis autodrag posted:

sweet i feel fine asking them to stop then. i didn't want to be culturally insensitive or whatever

dude was eating loving peanuts today and somehow managed to make it sound like he was slurping ramen

you have a big kid job now, buy a sweet pair of noise-canceling headphones & give no fucks

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

cheque_some posted:

*HR Lady at a place I interviewed calls me while I'm busy/on a call. I don't pick up*
"No it's not, sorry."
When I finally can talk on the phone, it's just to say they want to offer me $x for the job.
"I don't think there's anything to put in an e-mail, the offer is $x, just like I said!"

HR-ed!

anywhere not willing to give you an offer in writing is a place you want to drop like a hot potato

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ploft-shell crab posted:

you have a big kid job now, buy a sweet pair of noise-canceling headphones & give no fucks

I can't do this cuz then I can't tell if anyone is coming up to me and my back is to the room so I get really freaked out. I've been attacked a few times (once at work even back when I was working retail).

I'm working with hr on the situation but people should try to be sensitive to the fact that they're in a shared space and minimize the noise they make.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

cheque_some posted:

"No it's not, sorry."

HR-ed!

Just send them an email saying you had a phone call at <time> after they asked to call you and then gave you a verbal offer of $x. You are confirming that you heard them right (you are also establishing a paper trail).

This fun legal trick also works for conversations with landlords, where you can get a verbal agreement to be "in writing" by doing the writing yourself and having them not deny it

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i would never have imagined that the process would be so slapdash and the documentation so non-existent at a company this size

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Interviewing at Amazon, got past the first two phone screens and have a on-site next week. Have not given any numbers to the 3 different HR people I've spoken with. In a call today w/ a HR person to give me a heads up as to what the on-site interview is like, numbers were again requested. Dude made it seem like it was critical that he get my expected pay range.

Please confirm thread, I am doing the correct thing by not giving them any numbers before the on-site interview? The first numbers really discussed should be their initial offer after deciding they can't live without me?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

many people would groom themselves and clear their throats/sinuses really loudly and spit into the sinks, it was a constant chorus of this that echoed through the cafeteria

eventually you can tune it out
never knew this was a cultural thing but its loving gross

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

I can't do this cuz then I can't tell if anyone is coming up to me and my back is to the room so I get really freaked out. I've been attacked a few times (once at work even back when I was working retail).

I'm working with hr on the situation but people should try to be sensitive to the fact that they're in a shared space and minimize the noise they make.

last person i trained was an older guy with very questionable social skills and almost every morning he would come up behind me while I was working and touch my shoulder or back and stand about 6 inches from me while talking. this was whether or not I was wearing headphones or whatever. if I heard him coming I had to swivel around and go back into the corner to try and keep some distance between us

now, im not saying it was traumatizing, but it was definitely really annoying and creepy. I can see why some people put mirrors up in their cubes

coincidentally this was the same individual i had to tell to stop eating so loudly because multiple people complained about it

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Alzabo posted:

Interviewing at Amazon, got past the first two phone screens and have a on-site next week. Have not given any numbers to the 3 different HR people I've spoken with. In a call today w/ a HR person to give me a heads up as to what the on-site interview is like, numbers were again requested. Dude made it seem like it was critical that he get my expected pay range.

Please confirm thread, I am doing the correct thing by not giving them any numbers before the on-site interview? The first numbers really discussed should be their initial offer after deciding they can't live without me?

you can either keep on not talking numbers, or do the appropriate research to determine a reasonable market rate and say that number x 1.2

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

cis autodrag posted:

get some of those convex mirrors that people stick to their car's side mirrors and put a few up in your cube

not perfect but it helps

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
and expense them

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone have any recommendations for temporary phone number forwarding companies? I want to find a job but I'm not ballsy enough to only put my email and once I've found a job I don't want to be fielding recruiter spam until the end of time. I used to use google voice but now I can't because I'm on google fi

so far I've seen

hushed
numberproxy
burner
coverme
lineup

I'm willing to throw a few bucks in and I thought I'd check to see if anyone's used any of these

alternatively someone here could hire me to senior janitor their cloud & continuous integration environment in the DC area

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Huh.

I was contacted by a company a week ago for some side contract work. I didn't really want to do the work, so I bid them at 200$/hr @ 100 hours as a "thanks but no thanks" number.
They came back today and asked when could I start. :stare:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Huh.

I was contacted by a company a week ago for some side contract work. I didn't really want to do the work, so I bid them at 200$/hr @ 100 hours as a "thanks but no thanks" number.
They came back today and asked when could I start. :stare:
Congrats on lowballing your highball offer.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bhodi posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for temporary phone number forwarding companies? I want to find a job but I'm not ballsy enough to only put my email and once I've found a job I don't want to be fielding recruiter spam until the end of time. I used to use google voice but now I can't because I'm on google fi

so far I've seen

hushed
numberproxy
burner
coverme
lineup

I'm willing to throw a few bucks in and I thought I'd check to see if anyone's used any of these

alternatively someone here could hire me to senior janitor their cloud & continuous integration environment in the DC area

just make two versions of your resume, one with things like address / phone number and one that only has your email. first resume only goes out to people you've actually spoken with or to direct submissions. other is the generic that you put on stackoverflow careers or dice or whatever the hotness is nowadays

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's traditional to print letters of resignation from work printers right?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

in 1980 it was

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gonadic io posted:

Yes, unless your organization has a working fax machine in which case a fax-loop is more appropriate.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

gonadic io posted:

COO at lastjob did

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gonadic io posted:

go out as a legend, send a singing telegram announcement of your departure to the head of HR

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
who prints things, just forward the new offer to enough folks in the office

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I would love to read about someone who did some gimmicky poo poo like a sheet cake resignation letter and got their new offer retracted as the result of being a smarmy jackass.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Send it to your boss and ask them to print it for you since you're having computer issues

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Send it to your boss and ask them to print it for you since you're having computer issues

lol

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Minnesota Mixup posted:

i think i might actually do this when i leave here. my boss would probably think it's hilarious.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmbo. The Ceo just tried to tell me that the owner wasn't greedy and that he was making personal sacrifices because he is selling his yacht.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Interviewed for a job a few weeks ago, technical director told me 2 weeks ago that an offer was in progress. Asked him yesterday what's taking so long, said he's out of country and will call me next week. Guessing :rip:

Aaand I was correct. Just got a call from recruiter saying they went with someone else. Don't think I'd want to work at a place that does that anyway

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Aaand I was correct. Just got a call from recruiter saying they went with someone else. Don't think I'd want to work at a place that does that anyway

Well, an offer was in progress. Just not an offer to you?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
the only time ive been vaguely aware that i was in contention with some other person for a job it was straight out of college

like who even does that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bhodi posted:

https://support.twilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/223179908-Setting-up-call-forwarding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Well, an offer was in progress. Just not an offer to you?

Basically. Ill still have a call with the guy next week because I've know him and the VP for that stuff for almost 5 years now through my PhD work. Mad that they'd do that to me tho.

• Locked thread