Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does this mean PC is going to be its own race now or is this a new IMSA series?

https://www.imsa.com/news/082017/2018-imsa-prototype-challenge-presented-mazda-feature-endurance-racing-format-six-event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's been it's own race for a while. Mazda Prototype Challenge is sort of the black sheep of the "major" IMSA competitions, featuring open cockpit... LMP4? Cars (basically a closed wheel Mazda single seater) and LMP3 cars.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does this mean PC is going to be its own race now or is this a new IMSA series?

iospace posted:

It's been it's own race for a while.

The glorious PC Master Race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
PC at VIR is gonna be amazing.

I'm down there for the IMSA race this weekend and that track is fantastic. Perfect weather too

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Safety car during the Suzuka 1000km right now due to a crash. It is the biggest goddamn clusterfuck in the history of clusterfucks.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Shitzuka 1000 this year. That ending sucked.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Sage Karam is a loving retard

Well, bye

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good job, Dirk. That was entertaining and all on you. :downsbravo: :downsbravo: :downsbravo:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
He flat out tried to run the 4 into the grass. Still, only the second dumbest thing in this race

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CactusWeasle posted:

Sage Karam is a loving retard

Well, bye

lmao why does this guy keep getting rides

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

financially racist posted:

lmao why does this guy keep getting rides

:homebrew:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Shitzuka 1000 this year. That ending sucked.

I just watched a "final 10 minutes" video of the race on YouTube, and the Japanese announcers are so casual about a couple cars going off super late. "Wait, that looks like a pretty big crash there..." *return to it 30 seconds later*

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
3GT has looked about as uninspiring as all of Lexus' road cars the whole year, so they have brand synergy going for them at least

Also Sims/Auberlen is a nasty driver combo now that the M6 GTLM is competitive and mostly not breaking

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

3GT has looked about as uninspiring as all of Lexus' road cars the whole year, so they have brand synergy going for them at least

Also Sims/Auberlen is a nasty driver combo now that the M6 GTLM is competitive and mostly not breaking

Let's not forget there's a decent chance 3GT may disappear inside the calendar year as a result of Gentilozzi loving over Ryan Hunter-Reay many years ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

Let's not forget there's a decent chance 3GT may disappear inside the calendar year as a result of Gentilozzi loving over Ryan Hunter-Reay many years ago.

Is it story time? I think it's story time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Is it story time? I think it's story time.

The long story: Link to a Racer.com piece

Short version: RHR drove for Gentilozzi in ChampCar, got fired and poo poo-talked on the way out, RHR sued for [e]breach of contract and damages and won, and Gentilozzi played shell games with the money/assets. In March RHR won a court case, and was looking to finally get paid ~$3 million.

Looks like as of May they've settled on a payment as opposed to a seizure but RHR had to get the US Marshals involved (?!?).

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

Gotta wonder what will happen with the RC-F GT3 if that happens. The factory backing for them and Acura is over after this year so any team running the car next year will be much more on their own. MSR Acura can easily deal with it, but the RC-F is not going to be a very appealing platform to prospective entrants if it ends up an orphan with no factory money and knowledge to prop a team up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

Gotta wonder what will happen with the RC-F GT3 if that happens. The factory backing for them and Acura is over after this year so any team running the car next year will be much more on their own. MSR Acura can easily deal with it, but the RC-F is not going to be a very appealing platform to prospective entrants if it ends up an orphan with no factory money and knowledge to prop a team up.

From the rumblings I've heard it really doesn't sound like Shank wants to go back to a privateer setup after this. They were another tender in the Acura DPi, though it's obvious why Penske got it (because it's Penske) but you have to think they'll take a shot at GTE or another factory program.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

harperdc posted:

US Marshals involved (?!?).

USMS is the Federal law enforcement agency tasked with enforcing federal court rulings in civil cases.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kilonum posted:

USMS is the Federal law enforcement agency tasked with enforcing federal court rulings in civil cases.

I just read that and the image of Raylen Givens speaking with Paul Gentilozzi entered my brain and that made me chuckle.

iospace if you need more I can point to previous entries in the "racing and crime make wonderful bedfellows" series.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

From the rumblings I've heard it really doesn't sound like Shank wants to go back to a privateer setup after this. They were another tender in the Acura DPi, though it's obvious why Penske got it (because it's Penske) but you have to think they'll take a shot at GTE or another factory program.

They just confirmed today that they're running the NSXes as a privateer team next year:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/msr-planning-2018-return-with-acura/

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Oh, also, it looks like LMP1H's implosion is going to take the whole WEC with it:

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/wec-poised-for-reduced-schedule-possible-winter-calendar-shift/

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

RIP WEC :(

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Sportscar implosion wooooh we had a few good years RIP

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

so how much longer to the next sportscar boom?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kilonum posted:

McLaren say they want to come back to LMP1, so like a year?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kilonum posted:

IMSA right now? Heck, even ELMS has a pretty spicy field at the moment. The WEC isnt even that old and I would argue was never really that good, but i am a certified Hater™ of the WEC so.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Also that, good point, IMSA owns rn.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
WEC was kind of a dumb idea anyway.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

WEC existed because the FIA were being a bitch about ELMS, yeah?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

A world endurance championship isn't a bad idea. The problem is that the top endurance tier is destined to go through boom-bust cycles, making a world endurance championship anchored on it a terrible idea.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the thing is FIA wanted WEC to be the closed wheel version of F1: a constructor based, with privateers as well, top level, world wide series that uses the top technology of the day. The problem I think arises from a few factors:

-LMP1 never had the "customer team" dynamic F1 has in regards to engines.
-LMP2 drew all the privateers when it became apparent that they'd never compete with LMP1. Add in the "pseudo-spec" that was introduced for it this year, and it's insanely cheaper, leaving only ByKolles as the only LMP1 privateer
-IMSA figured out that sometimes, constructors don't want to shell out massive money for a prototype program.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

-IMSA figured out that sometimes, constructors don't want to shell out massive money for a prototype program.

I think the better way to phrase it is "more manufacturers budget racing from marketing than from R&D," because DPi is much more cost friendly and makes use of existing assets in a way that isn't interesting technically but much friendlier to the sales side.

Dieselgate ruined it. Audi were invested and a rock for this championship, and then swept out in one board meeting. Porsche no longer had the drive to stay (or the management support). They might have gone eventually, but fighting Audi would've given them more to do.

Effectively forcing privateers into P2 robbed us of Rebellion and possibly Manor running higher up (ByKolles has and always will be a shoestring tail-end Charlie). Some teams may be joining P1 privateer soon but now two of the three main manufacturers are gone, so the third one won't race by themselves (except to win Le Mans and at home in Japan).

I don't know the right solution, but I would lean towards the side that emphasizes alternative fuels in P1 - hydrogen, full electric. Let them spend their money in ways that actually helps, instead of sharpening these (admittedly awesome) hybrid razor blades. Make them prototypes again, and not just the third or fourth generation of Group C.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

harperdc posted:

Dieselgate ruined it. Audi were invested and a rock for this championship, and then swept out in one board meeting. Porsche no longer had the drive to stay (or the management support). They might have gone eventually, but fighting Audi would've given them more to do.

yep. this is the poo poo you are always vulnerable to when your championship depends entirely on works entries.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

WindyMan posted:

A world endurance championship isn't a bad idea. The problem is that the top endurance tier is destined to go through boom-bust cycles, making a world endurance championship anchored on it a terrible idea.

There's been like 3-4 now, they pop up and go away exactly in sync with the sports car boom-bust.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my first Le Mans was 2005 with no factory teams so it's really full circle time

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Do you think that if LMP1 had a works/customer dynamic like F1, it would have worked out better?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
historically the result of that is the works teams kick the poo poo out of the privateers

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

historically the result of that is the works teams kick the poo poo out of the privateers

And because of this there's no reason to try to compete as a P1 privateer. When the P2 class is way more competitive and a lot cheaper, all of those teams are going to go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Do you think that if LMP1 had a works/customer dynamic like F1, it would have worked out better?

The only time the works/customer teams co-mingling worked recently was Group C, when Porsche produced loads of 956/962s and customers could pick them up easily (think GT3s now). There were other factories as well but between crashes and failures, the mosquito fleet of private Porsches would still be competitive. (A private DPi in this manner is what IMSA is missing now, that or better balance with the P2 spec cars).

Since the '90s, privateer teams and chassis makers only really succeeded in the absence of factories. That's either in GT1, LMP900, or any time since. The only real GT1 privateers had was the McLaren F1; Audi sold off R8s, yes but that was never the same as Porsche and many of those teams were satellites of Audi Sport. Le Mans for a few years was Audi vs Peugeot, then Audi vs Toyota.

Formula 1 is so specialized that very few teams have actually left. Toyota entered and left (and that's much the same team/business still running their LMP program), but otherwise...

• Ferrari, McLaren, Williams - duh
  • Mercedes - were Brawn, previously Honda, previously BAR, which were built almost 20 years ago (on Tyrrell's entry)
  • Red Bull - were Jaguar and Stewart, built off Stewart junior formulae team and tons of Ford cash
  • Force India - used to be Jordan, 25 year history in F1
  • Toro Rosso - previously Minardi, 30 years of history
  • Renault - previously Benetton with more than 30 years history
  • Sauber - 25 years in F1

Haas is the only really new entrant.

• Locked thread