Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

This reads like taht goon parody of a CYOA book from a few years back.

left pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I wanna buy a copy of this book just so I can have the satisfaction of burning it. Fight the werewolf.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Why is that even an ending?

QuoProQuid posted:

Face the werewolf, I guess.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
What has it got in its left pockets, precious?

Edit: I realize I’m criticizing a book where trying to fight a werewolf led us to a troll who gave us magic cereal that made us smarter, but how did the ants learn sign language?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fight the werewolf with our hand in our left pocket.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The fact that successfully resolving the conflict leads you to a dead end for no reason is just hilariously inane. This book peaked at nerd alert.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow that is bad. Fight the werewolf

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to turn back and face the werewolf. You could easily handle one or two of these horrible red fire ants. But thousands of them are running for your ankles!

"Come on, let's get out of here!" you shout to Lauren and Todd.

With you in the lead, the three of you turn back on the path and run. This time you run right into a snarling, growling werewolf. The moon suddenly appears from behind a cloud. The face of the werewolf is captured by the moonlight. You see its filthy fur drenched in thick, slimy drool. Its long, red tongue licks its fangs. It stands on two hind legs. Its clawed front paws reach for you.

"The werewolf!" Todd cries. "I knew we should have stayed where we were."

The werewolf turns to Todd. A disgusting-looking red foam dribbles from its mouth and drips down its ragged fur. You can smell Cherry-O's on the werewolf's breath. It moves closer to Todd. Closer.

"Help!" Todd screams.

quote:

"Aaaaachooo!" Todd sneezes. The werewolf's fur makes Todd's allergies act up instantly.

"Gesundheit!"

Todd looks at you. Then at Lauren. "What did you say?" he asks.

"I said, 'Gesundheit.'" a deep, growling voice answers.

Todd whirls around. "Huh?"

"Gesundheit," the werewolf repeats. "I was speaking in German. Instead of saying bless you, I said Gesundheit."

You and Lauren inch back behind a huge tree. "What happened to the werewolf?" she whispers. "Now he's talking like we talk!"

"The SMARTS BOX," you whisper back. "Those O's must do a lot more than just fill a person's head with facts. Anyone who eats it gets good manners! The werewolf is talking just like a polite human being would!"

quote:

You and Lauren stay hidden a little while longer. "My mother talks to our cat," Lauren says, "but your friend is actually talking to a werewolf!"

Todd and the talking werewolf are acting as if they have been friends for years. The red foam bubbling and frothing from the mouth of the werewolf doesn't seem to upset Todd at all.

"Here, take this," Todd says, handing the werewolf a tissue. "You've got gunk coming out of your mouth. Wipe it off."

The werewolf takes the tissue, wipes its mouth, and says, "Thank you, Todd."

"If only the Murphy brothers could act more like you," Todd declares. "You're so polite, and they are such beasts."

No sooner does Todd mention the word "beasts," than something horrible crashes through the bushes. Todd shrieks. The polite werewolf runs. You open your mouth to scream, too.

If a scream comes out of your mouth, turn to PAGE 32.

If nothing comes out of your mouth, turn to PAGE 119.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Smart O's

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Dropped Todd down a bottomless pit.
Gave the book the chance to pull some "all just a dream" bullshit on us.
Turned into a paper lantern because we failed a literature quiz.
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!
Ambushed by a werewolf masquerading as a doctor.
Got another loving "all just a dream" ending.
Ate the wrong magic cereal and turned into a fish.
Wasted our super-smarts on catching a dog.

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.
Gyzacck: Gyzacck? Gyzacck.
Gainax Ending: Received a grave warning from intelligent fire ants who can communicate in ASL because they ate magic cereal.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Why doesn't the werewolf know ASL? How could the ants sign without fingers? How have we not gotten a goal ending yet?

...I guess I am screaming, then.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

There is no plot, and I must scream

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Gyzacck.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I've got nothing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
time to enable scream-o-vision on your tv.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKES!" you scream.

A huge pack of werewolves moving at top speed burst on the scene. They are half-man, half-wolf. Foam slides from their open mouths. Bits of leftovers from the most recent victims hang from their fangs and claws. There is no doubt in your mind. You will be their next victim.

You quickly aim the flashlight beam directly at them. Maybe you can blind the wolves for a minute with your light. Now you can see the whole pack clearly. And all their eyes are on one thing - you. You're still holding on to the SMARTS BOX.

"Of course!" you cry. You reach into the box and shove some cereal into your mouth. You swallow a few O's and immediately feel like a genius.

"Now that you're so smart," Lauren says, "what should we do?"

quote:

You feel your brain magically power up. Facts pour out of your mouth like a fountain of knowledge gone wild.

"On May 20, 1927, Charles Lindbergh started his flight across the Atlantic," you announce. "The first African-American Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall, was born on July 2, 1908. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart composed more than six hundred works of music!"

Lauren is amazed! "You know everything!" she exclaims. "But what should we do about the werewolves?"

Your brain is already solving that problem. You know you could feed them the Cherry-O's and that might calm them. But you have a different idea this time.

quote:

You reach into your pocket and feel what you are looking for.

"Jawbreakers!" you announce to Lauren. You hold out a handful of round, colored candies. Then you toss them to the ground.

The pack of werewolves pounce on the jawbreakers. They start chomping. In no time, pained howls fill the woods. HOW-OW-OW-OWL-OWWWWWL! All the hairy creatures cry out in jaw-breaking agony. Your plan worked.

"I knew my plan would work," you brag to Lauren. "Those fanged beasts won't be biting anyone for a long, long time."

Right again, genius. All the werewolves' teeth and fangs are broken and shattered. The jawbreakers and your brilliant brain saved you and your friends. Now that you've cracked the case, you'll be free to keep searching and searching and searching for Todd's box until

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Smart O's

Bad Endings
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.
Gyzacck!

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.
Gainax Ending: Received a grave warning from intelligent fire ants who can communicate in ASL because they ate magic cereal.
:siren:Gobstopper: Defeated an army of werewolves with a handful of candy.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Enter the cave.
  • Howl at the werewolves.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Break free of the troll's spell.
  • Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.
  • Eat from the left pocket.
  • Don't scream.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
This book makes me feel like I’m eating Dumb-O’s.

Don’t scream.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

So was the ghostwriter just like super baked and hungry all the time or what

don't scream

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
What are the goals we're even aiming for?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Mister Olympus posted:

What are the goals we're even aiming for?

I think we're going for the ones where we're actually shown getting Todd's box back, but don't quote me on that.

We must remain silent.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
LEFT POCKET!!!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

I really want to see the left pocket too.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

If I cried what I want to cry - "Mummy, please make the bad book stop hurting me." - then a loving reanimated corpse in bandages would be after me lucky charms the MacGuffin-Os like every loving thing else, wouldn't it?

Thus, I will scream nothing.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Why do these keep ending in the middle? Like, a random choice solves the immediate problem and the book just ends. It should loop back into the main narrative! I'm beginning to think this wasn't fully thought through.

ANyway, the random number generatro said 2, so Howl back at the wolves.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Was there a law passed that all CYOA books had to be galloping, eye-spinning insanity?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Left pocket

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

No scream comes out of your mouth. You quickly see the "horrible beasts" coming through the woods are none other than Sharky, Jess, and Buck Murphy!

"Did someone mention Murphys?" Sharky whoops. He runs right up to Todd and gives him a shove. "Well, Nerdo, here we are. Big as life and twice as scary!"

"So you haven't found your stupid box yet?" Jess taunts.

Buck sneaks up behind Todd and pinches his ear. In an evil sounding voice he whispers, "Did the werewolves get you yet? Heh, heh."

Buck's laughter doesn't last long. It stops in his throat when a hairy hand pinches his ear. Then a growling voice whispers, "Did someone mention werewolves?"

It's Todd's werewolf friend! The SMARTS BOX food must have worn off. Todd's friend isn't so well-mannered anymore! All that is left is its ability to talk.

"It looks like I'm getting the last laugh," the werewolf growls at the trembling Murphy brothers.

quote:

"Don't hurt us!" Buck begs the beast.

The werewolf snarls and lifts Buck up by his collar. Its hairy paws close around Buck's neck.

"Don't do it!" Lauren cries out.

Sharky and Jess Murphy are huddled together next to a tree. They have their eyes covered, but you see tears streaming down their cheeks. You've never seen the Murphys look so scared.

The werewolf ignores Lauren's plea. But then Todd speaks up. "Please don't hurt them," Todd says gently.

For a second it seems as if the werewolf is listening to Todd. But then it tightens its grip on Buck. The werewolf moves over to where Sharky and Jess stand shivering in their black high-top sneakers.

"GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..." growls the werewolf, ready to finish off all three Murphys.

"You have to help us!" the Murphys cry.

quote:

"Oommphh!" the werewolf puffs as you pounce on it.

"Sorry," you say. "I have to help the Murphys." You use all your strength to pull the werewolf off the Murphys. You can't do it alone. "Help me, Todd!" you plead.

Todd looks at the Murphys and at you. Then he stares at the werewolf who was his friend, if only for a few minutes. Todd knows what he has to do. He jumps on the werewolf with you. Together you knock it to the ground.

"The Murphys do deserve to cry," Todd says as he struggles with the beast. "But they don't deserve to be a three-course meal for a werewolf."

"Grrrrrrr... GRRRRRRRRRRRR..." roars the werewolf. It twists back and forth with new strength. You and Todd have freed the Murphys. Now the werewolf runs free, too. He runs into the darkness with an ear-piercing HOW-OW-OW-OW-OWL. Even though you and Todd tried your best, the werewolf has escaped.

You're exhausted. You, Todd, Lauren, and the Murphys fall on the ground. The last thing you remember is staring up at the dark sky. A full moon stares back.

quote:

"Honey?" you hear your mom's voice. "Honey, you've been sleeping for hours. Are you feeling all right?"

You open your eyes and look around for Todd.

"Where is he? Where is Todd?" you ask your mother.

"Todd is asleep, too. I had to wake you finally to tell you that the Morrises and Dad and I are going to play tennis. Can you and Todd stay out of trouble while we're gone?"

"Oh, Mom," you assure her, "don't worry. What kind of trouble could we possible get into at WoodsWorld?"

"You're right," your mom says. "Okay, then. See you later."

She leaves and you lie in bed thinking of all the events of the night before. Was it all a weird dream? That's it. It must have been a dream. You close your eyes for a few more minutes and hear a familiar voice.

"Hey! Hey! What do you say!"

It is Todd's same goofy-sounding voice. But when you open one eye you see a hairy, scary werewolf standing in the doorway wearing Todd's pajamas! Oh, no! If this is not a bad dream, you sure hope it is

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Smart O's

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
:siren:Woke up from another goddamn dream, except Todd's a werewolf now.:siren:

Achievements
Gobstopper: Defeated an army of werewolves with a handful of candy.
:siren:gently caress This Book: Found every possible "dream" ending Werewolf Woods had to offer.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Enter the cave.
  • Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.
  • Eat from the left pocket.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

:colbert:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

:goleft:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Ah, satisfaction...

Yeah, let's get back on track. Left pocket.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Port locket

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
left pocket why not

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You ate the O's out of your left pocket. And the left pocket was the right pocket!

"I feel like Superman!" Todd cries. His arm muscles stretch his T-shirt sleeves to the breaking point.

"How about Superperson," Lauren corrects Todd. "We all have equal super-strength now."

The three of you raise clenched fists in the air and shout, "We have the power!"

But Todd can't just leave it at that. He's got to go on and on with the corny stuff. "We are the super-strong trio! We promise to fight for truth, power, and justice for all - "

A soft "tweeeeeeet" interrupts Todd's declaration.

"It's the troll!" Lauren cries. "He's going to take away our power again!"

"Not if we can help it, he won't," you reply. You begin tearing off pieces of your shirt sleeves and stuffing them into your ears. "If we can't hear him, he can't hurt us," you remind the others.

Lauren and Todd plug up their ears, too - and not a minute too soon. The troll's piercing whistle is shaking the whole staircase, but the three of you don't hear a thing.

quote:

The super-strength trio run up the stairs and burst through the bookshelf wall of the library. You expect to come face to face with the enemy. But instead of one whistling troll, the three of you are greeted by hundreds of them.

"They've taken over the community center!" Lauren says. She uses her hands to talk in sign language.

"We're safe as long as our ears are plugged," you sign back.

The lead troll goes wild! "What's this?" he cries. "They're talking without talking! I can't hear them! And they can't hear us! Louder, you stupid tribe of trolls! Louder!"

He runs wildly through the crowd of trolls, shouting at them.

"Stand your ground!" you sign to the others. "He's going crazy because he can't control us."

Now many of the troll are covering their ears to block out the deafening sounds of their own whistling.

"Louder! Louder! Louder, you fools!" the most wart-covered troll of all shouts.

quote:

"Grab them!" the lead troll orders frantically. "Tackle them!"

Hundreds of tiny trolls leap through the air. They land on your arms, in your hair, on the back of your neck. With your super-strength, you easily fling the creatures aside. Lauren and Todd are having the same luck with the ones who have landed on them.

The battle rages on and on. But the SUPER-STRENGTH O's keep working. At last the trolls are defeated.

"Get up you lazy, toadstool mats!" the lead troll shouts to the other trolls. "I order you to fight for your troll leader. Me!" He scurries from place to place, kicking the other trolls, pulling their ears, yanking their fat, blubbery lips. "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Then something changes. The trolls are no longer fighting you, Lauren, and Todd. Now they have turned against their leader. A crowd of angry trolls sweeps the leader off his feet. They lift him high above their ugly heads and carry him to the lake.

quote:

With a heave and a ho, the band of troll hurls the whistling leader far into Deep Woods Lake. The cold lake water slowly sucks him down. With a giant BLURRRP, the lake swallows the troll forever.

The crowd of trolls lining the shore of the lake cheers. They seem a little less gruesome now that their wicked leader is gone. You glance over at Todd and Lauren and notice that their muscles are gone, too. So are yours.

The three of you have your normal shapes back. You all take out your ear plugs. Together you throw your fists up in the air and shout, "We have the power!"

And from down at the south end of the beach you hear the Murphy brothers shouting, "Way to go, Nerdo!" They are holding out Todd's red tin box.

"Here's your box back, Nerdo," Sharky calls. "You deserve it."

Todd just smiles that goofy-looking smile and says, "I think they like me better now, don't you?"

You don't know how the Murphys feel. But in your opinion, Todd "Nerdo" Morris is one cool dude. And you're going to hate having this vacation come to

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's
Fish-in-an-Instant Food

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Gyzacck!
Woke up from another goddamn dream, except Todd's a werewolf now.

Achievements
Gobstopper: Defeated an army of werewolves with a handful of candy.
gently caress This Book: Found every possible "dream" ending Werewolf Woods had to offer.

Our options posted:

• Enter the cave.
  • Run for the woods.
  • Break the wall down.
  • Check on Lauren alone.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SEVEN pushups!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

What a stupid book.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

chiasaur11 posted:

SEVEN pushups!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

CaptainCaveman posted:

What a stupid book.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Wait, they just loving gave us the box straight up because a troll got tossed in the lake and :psyboom:

dice say we howl at the werewolves

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Leraika posted:

Wait, they just loving gave us the box straight up because a troll got tossed in the lake and :psyboom:

dice say we howl at the werewolves

So did mine. Alan Ginsberg's Howl (is more coherent than this)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lot of...lot of sign language in this book. Huh. I guess that's a good thing?

Let's howl at the werewolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Seven pushups!, also I'm real proud of us for hitting all the 'it's just a dream' endings. What a book...