Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
"welp better not try fixing our dumb party we might attract the wrong kind of people: POOR WHITE PEOPLE" - joy ann reid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
she seems to be saying that the sole function of the democratic party shouldnt be to pass any laws but to remind people that black and hispanic people exist

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Accretionist's transcript of joy's dumb words

quote:

This is the democrats. hehe. That's kinda who they are. They're very disorganized. The Democrats are not, they're not good at the sort of go for the jugular, hard nosed politics as they use to be. Back when the democrats use to be more of an ethnic party. Ethnic white. Ethnic black. Ethnic party generally.

Now they're a party looking for consensus. And they look for it so desperately that they never really come up with a coherent framework for themselves.

Because democrats...they understand, that deep down, they're the party of black and brown people. Of gay people. Of marginalized people.

They still long to be the party of the Pabst Blue Ribbon voter. The kind of Coors Light drinking voter.

[host: couldn't they be both? why can't they be both?]

Because those voters are republicans. They just are.

[host: you can say that definitively? across the board?]

Yeah! That vote has migrated from being a democratic party vote to a republican party vote and has done so for the last 40 years. Democrats just can't accept it.

So they don't understand that the voters they long to have back. The voters who, these sort of Archie Bunker voter, who was a democrat in the 70s is now a republican. So they can long for them all they want but they're not going to convince someone by saying "we'll give you free college". That's not why they're voting.

They're voting for, let me put it this way, people say "why do people vote against their economic interest? why do they vote values?" Democrats vote against their economic interest. If you live in New York, if you make New York salary, you're voting against your economic interest whenever you vote for Democrats. They'll raise your taxes. You vote your values. So why don't you think the people on the other side do the same? They're not voting economics. They're voting because the republican party represents their values. They don't care about the economics.

So democrats keep trying to use economics lures to pull them back in but that's not why they're voting that way.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Archie Bunker" voted for Dems in the 70s because they hadn't plunged the dagger into labor yet. But don't let silly things like reality get in the way of her 'economics don't matter' narrative.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hello I'm a major liberal/dem figurehead. I don't understand or choose to ignore intersectionality.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

New America, a non-partisan think tank ran by a Hillary staffer, let go a division working on anti-trust, after allegations that they were pressured to do so because the division praised EU anti-trust action against Google and Google threatened funding.

New America just released a statement in their defense, including email correspondence

Here's the first email:

:laugh:
:laffo:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
DEMS ARE CONTROLLED OPPOSITION

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
what in the hell is a ethnic white? a polish person?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Weeping Wound posted:

wasn't his comedy career started based on whitewashing apartheid South Africa?

????

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Anyway I enjoy that with rampant voter suppression killing participation from dem-leaning minority groups, the idea of bolstering numbers with an economic appeal to poor & working whites continues to be treated as anathema.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
kamala harris hasn't updated her website to represent her picture to 2020 yet

i can tell because "the economy" is at the very bottom of her list of issues, beneath "protecting animals" and "#kidsforKamala", and healthcare isn't mentioned anywhere at all

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Crux flaw found:

quote:

If you live in New York, if you make New York salary, you're voting against your economic interest whenever you vote for Democrats. They'll raise your taxes.

New Yorkers making New York salaries are either republicans or are trying to buy power.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
"Politics is downstream from Culture" - Joy Ann Reid

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what in the hell is a ethnic white? a polish person?
Polish, jew, irish, french, german, arabic, mediterranean, etc.

Everyone is a minority.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Matt Zerella posted:

joy said Coors Light, not PBR.

She specifically says PBR. Look 1 minute into the Twitter video.

EDIT - Actually shes says both. First PBR, then Coors Light.

Weeping Wound posted:

wasn't his comedy career started based on whitewashing apartheid South Africa?

He enjoys making light of apartheid:

https://twitter.com/Trevornoah/status/199471207962255361

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Aug 31, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Joy only thinks economics involves taxes is pretty telling.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Pabst Blue Ribbon party? What the gently caress? A simultaneous dropkick to the working class and millennials- goddamn dude.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Again, the worst thing about Noah and Bee is not that they're ideologically braindead, but that they're excrutiatingly unfunny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

That Joy only thinks economics involves taxes is pretty telling.

To be honest, I get the impression she's actually kinda dumb in a "random person off the street" sorta way, as opposed to the more malicious sorta stuff you see from other centrist Democrats. Which isn't to say the latter aren't also dumb, but they're more dumb in a "heavily biased" way than a "literally bad at the act of thinking itself" way.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I need to look back; there was some interview he gave while he was still getting the reins of the Daily Show where he talked about his standup in South Africa and how his act was based on how his parents were of different races

can't remember if it was just a well okay kind of thing or actually unsettling

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just loving skill yourself

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/903069573326495744

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ScrubLeague posted:

Just loving skill yourself

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Anyway I enjoy that with rampant voter suppression killing participation from dem-leaning minority groups, the idea of bolstering numbers with an economic appeal to poor & working whites continues to be treated as anathema.

"We don't need you" - Hillary Clinton to young voters

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Ytlaya posted:

To be honest, I get the impression she's actually kinda dumb in a "random person off the street" sorta way, as opposed to the more malicious sorta stuff you see from other centrist Democrats. Which isn't to say the latter aren't also dumb, but they're more dumb in a "heavily biased" way than a "literally bad at the act of thinking itself" way.
lol she works for nbc, its intentional and malicious. there are a couple of ~2008 tweets of hers calling bernie the future of the party

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm ready for the protest, I've already got my giant sign that says MORE TAX CREDITS FOR SKILL TRAINING

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

cargo cult posted:

lol she works for nbc, its intentional and malicious. there are a couple of ~2008 tweets of hers calling bernie the future of the party

it could just be the paycheck difference and associating with rich ppl

money is a disease lol

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Office Pig posted:

she gets paid for this?

u can get paid for anything when u stack charisma irl

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

loquacius posted:

hard at work in the twitter take mine, mining twitter takes~~

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/903049145388343297

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/903050640116633600

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/903051461306851330

his job explains the snideness, I mostly just thought it was hilarious he has a Patreon

also I lol'd at this

https://twitter.com/neatparts/status/903044279672594433

been workin in the coal mine
workin all day
workin in the coal mine
whoops about to sit down

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ScrubLeague posted:

I'm ready for the protest, I've already got my giant sign that says MORE TAX CREDITS FOR SKILL TRAINING

my sign says END TRUMP'S WASTEFUL DATA CENTERS

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
BRING BACK THE FILIBUSTER

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

so why does this web developer slash policy analyst have a patreon exactly

he doesnt even provide performance art like game theory guy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my other sign has a picture of a guy installing wiring at a data center but the guy is putin

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Darkman Fanpage posted:

so...

minorities don't want free college?
:thunk:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

so...

minorities don't want free college?
:thunk:

no, they're all nbc anchors making high six figures right

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Ytlaya posted:

Joy Reid's show grew massively in 2016. She became one of the go to media personalities for hillbots. She knows exactly who she's pandering to

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

Joy Reid's show grew massively in 2016. She became one of the go to media personalities for hillbots. She knows exactly who she's pandering to

Is there any data on who watches stuff like that? I'm guessing older liberals or something, because I don't feel like many young people watch channels like MSNBC or FOX or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any data on who watches stuff like that? I'm guessing older liberals or something, because I don't feel like many young people watch channels like MSNBC or FOX or whatever.

quote:

Airing on the weekends from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., AM Joy delivered the time period’s biggest total viewer audience since the 1st quarter of 2003 and biggest A25-54 audience since Q4 2012.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/10/1619069/-Joy-Reid-Delivered-Huge-Ratings-for-MSNBC-So-They-Chose-the-Fox-Reject

• Locked thread