Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Finger Prince posted:

Well given that it's got a 2015 front end installed, it's only been in that state for 2 years tops. Probably less. So make that 119k on the original 2009 in the first 6 or so years of its life, pre-donking.

I would agree, probably bought for cheap as a very high mileage late model driven by some sort of executive or salesperson, then turned into that pretty recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Yes, the Lamborghini has rollover protection that fires out:

Your Google-fu is stronger than mine.

`Nemesis posted:

I did this once to power a big rear end inverter so I could run a fog machine inside my car. Stupid teenager poo poo.

There was a spot in the city all the kids would go to and cruise around. Juice that baby up at a stop light and roll the windows down. Reactions to it were pretty funny.

Note: this was almost 20 years ago.

Now you can achieve the same effect by vaping angry.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/Uat4GKC.mp4

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Lol, I did that when I locked the keys in my Prelude earlier this year.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

On the subject of convertible rollover bars, here's the Volvo ones when they deploy:

The best part of this 1st gen system is they're spring loaded, and you can just reset them by releasing a ratcheting hook and pushing them back down.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

LloydDobler posted:

On the subject of convertible rollover bars, here's the Volvo ones when they deploy:

The best part of this 1st gen system is they're spring loaded, and you can just reset them by releasing a ratcheting hook and pushing them back down.

Can they deploy in situations other than a rollover?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

One final note on American car shows, if I hear "Wahr 'em up, fahr 'em up, yer good to go" one more time :commissar:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Can they deploy in situations other than a rollover?

I can't find the video, but there's a cockpit video of them deploying when the car gets weightless for a moment over a crest.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

LloydDobler posted:

these are the same ones in the Astons. Early db9s had a problem of them deploying after hitting a particularly nasty bump

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Is that the regular window glass? It looks like it flexes... more than I would expect.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I had someone try to steal my very first car, a lovely little Laser, by doing that. I was so annoyed; the door seal was never the same after that and always let huge amounts of road noise in.

They didn't succeed because the interior lock pin and handle had both broken off.

What I'll never understand is why anyone would try to steal such a broken down shitbox as that car was.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Memento posted:

Is that the regular window glass? It looks like it flexes... more than I would expect.

I'd contend that it's just regular glass, and that the bottom of the window is at or above the pivot point of him bending the upper frame, so in reality he's able to just bend a couple of small pieces of formed sheet metal at the front and back of the door right at the front and back corners of the bottom of the glass.

I don't think I can do that with the Starion because it has a lockup pin in the upper door frame.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Oh man thats loving great! I broke a quarter window in my truck after locking the keys in it last month :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I learned just how expensive quarter windows are compared to the regular windows when I locked my keys in my car in the middle of nowhere. I could have replaced 2 1/2 regular windows for what that tiny little piece cost. :argh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was expecting the guy to fall in that hole or whatever it is next to the door.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

I was expecting the guy to fall in that hole or whatever it is next to the door.

I was sure that was what was going to happen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I learned just how expensive quarter windows are compared to the regular windows when I locked my keys in my car in the middle of nowhere. I could have replaced 2 1/2 regular windows for what that tiny little piece cost. :argh:

Yeah, that seems the be the case with a lot of cars. My theory is that the door glass is more often broken, therefore more available, and easier to replace to boot.
Half the time, the *windshield* is cheaper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of the bigger auto news sites ran a story where they advised you to always break the biggest piece of glass if possible because the tiny piece will probably be impossible to replace.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone dig up that video of some drunk idiots trying to smash open a side window of an Audi for like 30 minutes and getting nowhere.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

Half the time, the *windshield* is cheaper.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper 95% of the time.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

I guess i should mention that in taxachusetts all glass replacements are covered by insurance with no deductible :yotj:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Even if it's a barracuda?

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Good question, I will check

edit: Ok, i did a little googling and I couldnt find specifics for antique or classic cars. If you're interested i will call my insurance company tomorrow and find out. I know my dad's 46 ford business coupe would not fall under the general glass deductible waiver that seems to be standard in MA, but I think he had to get an agreed value insurance plan or something like that.

violentlycitrus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There is no actual law in MA about that. It is true that the state used to set all insurance rates but now 0 deductible is simply an option that the insurance companies all provide there. No requirement for it. Or for more depth: http://www.carinsurance.com/windshield-law-massachusetts.aspx

Also it was only for people with comprehensive coverage anyway because the glass is covered under that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GutBomb posted:

There is no actual law in MA about that. It is true that the state used to set all insurance rates but now 0 deductible is simply an option that the insurance companies all provide there. No requirement for it. Or for more depth: http://www.carinsurance.com/windshield-law-massachusetts.aspx

Also it was only for people with comprehensive coverage anyway because the glass is covered under that.

No deductible riders on auto glass are available in the taxually backwards state of Tennessee, as well.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

geonetix posted:

Explosive bolts is weirdly Mercedes, didn't the SLS AMG come with those

Well yeah think about how uniquely hosed you'd be if you rolled a car with gullwing doors. Pretty sure both doors are immediately blown off the hinges so you don't get trapped and die. None of this pussy "extendable metal post behind the headrest so you get some extra headroom" garbage.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

xzzy posted:

Someone dig up that video of some drunk idiots trying to smash open a side window of an Audi for like 30 minutes and getting nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw39SIiHrQ

Remember, you need something with a point on it.

Also, wow, typing "breaking car window with head" brings up more results than I could have loving imagined.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

violentlycitrus posted:

I guess i should mention that in taxachusetts all glass replacements are covered by insurance with no deductible :yotj:

this is wrong of course, it isn't mandatory any more since the deregulation

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

sandoz posted:

this is wrong of course, it isn't mandatory any more since the deregulation

You are right, of course. I did correct myself upthread a little bit tho.

e: actually i didnt correct myself all the way, of course, but i got it now. Sorry thread

violentlycitrus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 31, 2017

stump
Jan 19, 2006

"Needs a sump" .... "Coilovers" :bravo:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/HzaTOBr.mp4

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I don't understand why he didn't just slow down a bit, it almost unfucked itself but he kept accelerating.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Breakfast Feud posted:

I don't understand why he didn't just slow down a bit, it almost unfucked itself but he kept accelerating.
Lot of people still think that's the correct response. It can work, especially if you have a hell of a lot of power for the weight of your setup. Sometimes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
As soon as I saw the length of that thing and all of the heavy poo poo on the back of it I was pretty sure he was hosed.

http://i.imgur.com/3PQFK7Y.mp4

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Memento posted:

As soon as I saw the length of that thing and all of the heavy poo poo on the back of it I was pretty sure he was hosed.

http://i.imgur.com/3PQFK7Y.mp4

yeah my first thought was "huh looks like someone didnt watch the uhaul loading video"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I had something similar happen to me when I was towing a trailer (~8000lbs) with an f350 diesel minus the actual crash part. It was slippery (winter) and I was getting on the highway, I hit the floor with the gas and the back end came loose. The truck we normally pulled that trailer with, was...... under powered to say the least, as in you had to keep it floored just to keep up with traffic on the highway. So, thats what I was used to doing. Trailer swerved side to side as a result, and i used a combination of actuating the trailer brakes with the slidy thing on the brake controller and letting off the gas on the truck.

Right thing to do or just lucky?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

wesleywillis posted:

I had something similar happen to me when I was towing a trailer (~8000lbs) with an f350 diesel minus the actual crash part. It was slippery (winter) and I was getting on the highway, I hit the floor with the gas and the back end came loose. The truck we normally pulled that trailer with, was...... under powered to say the least, as in you had to keep it floored just to keep up with traffic on the highway. So, thats what I was used to doing. Trailer swerved side to side as a result, and i used a combination of actuating the trailer brakes with the slidy thing on the brake controller and letting off the gas on the truck.

Right thing to do. The trailer brakes made the trailer's weight shift towards the truck and "pulled" it away, resisting the oscillation. Good instinct. Nice save.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tractor-trailer driver was on the ball, there. I bet he was watching that guy wobble his way up beside him alllll the way, and was ready to dive right when it came.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wesleywillis posted:

You did good. You shifted the weight.

Here's the screwed up thing. Think how many trailers with poo poo-rear end wiring, brakes, drivers that have no clue about anything including a trailer are on the roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

About once every two months I have someone wanting to take their 7 blade trailer connector and hook it up to a 4 flat connector on their truck/suv. They get mad when I tell them they don't make them for safety reasons.