Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If all a story has going for it is mindless action the overall production is bad.

The thing that makes action scenes interesting is investment in them. If you care about who wins/loses and what happens to the protag/antag thats where actually interesting media comes in.

The 'just relax and enjoy the explosions' opinion drives me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

starkebn posted:

"Some people in some threads make posts I don't like, the entire forum is complete garbage"

You basically said that.

lol I wasn't aware that there is a criteria for not liking a place being a childish vs adult response. Sorry for dishonoring the sanctity of the Games forum I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bradzilla posted:

lol I wasn't aware that there is a criteria for not liking a place being a childish vs adult response. Sorry for dishonoring the sanctity of the Games forum I guess.

You should have said: "Some people in some threads make posts I don't like, and the entire forum is complete garbage"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aramek posted:

Star Wars is good because it has magic and Kung Fu and explosions and space and lasers and bomb rear end music and that's all anyone ever needs.

It makes you feel good, because only ever feeling good is what winners do

Attack of the Clones gave me herpes

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

Attack of the Clones gave me herpes

it gave me AAAAAAAAAAAIDS

it also took away my ability to make original jokes

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Time to bring out the big guns. Skyrim is better than Morrowind and Oblivion.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Midig posted:

Time to bring out the big guns. Skyrim is better than Morrowind and Oblivion.

I agree both in terms of technical superiority and accessibility, because a good game that is hard to get into doesn't compel me to play it.

I also agree with the poster who said Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger, though the former would have benefited from a smaller roster and more exposition for each character and not dumping most of the plot in a text conversation at the door to the final boss.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Speaking of unpopular game opinions: I've never gotten the point of Minesweeper. You click on a tile, and it's either a bomb or not. So what? I don't begrudge others liking it, but I've always found it a really boring nothing.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Speaking of unpopular game opinions: I've never gotten the point of Minesweeper. You click on a tile, and it's either a bomb or not. So what? I don't begrudge others liking it, but I've always found it a really boring nothing.

I don't tend to enjoy games I don't know how to play either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's a puzzle. You use the numbers to work out where the bombs are. It's not just randomly clicking until you either win or lose.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

"Some people in some threads make posts I don't like, the entire forum is complete garbage"

You basically said that.

Thee Games forum sucks.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

It's a puzzle. You use the numbers to work out where the bombs are. It's not just randomly clicking until you either win or lose.

I understand that, and it's probably completely fair to say that I don't play it correctly. I've just never found it a particularly interesting game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

lol if you're reading posts in games instead of posting in games

This is games in a nutshell :lol:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
A good deed being anonymous does not make it any more true, pure or laudable, than it otherwise would have been. Even buying into the bizarre premise, that an anonymous act can't be wholly or partially rooted in selfishness or vanity - taking pride in what you do, and enjoying the acknowledgements of others, is a normal and healthy way to be motivated, and doesn't lessen any act that follows.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grandmother of Five posted:

A good deed being anonymous does not make it any more true, pure or laudable, than it otherwise would have been. Even buying into the bizarre premise, that an anonymous act can't be wholly or partially rooted in selfishness or vanity - taking pride in what you do, and enjoying the acknowledgements of others, is a normal and healthy way to be motivated, and doesn't lessen any act that follows.

yeah but no one likes showboating either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9dwDKUMU8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's nothing wrong with being "right" for the "wrong" reasons.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's nothing wrong with being "right" for the "wrong" reasons.

Is there anything concrete that made you think of that?

Personally, one of the most aggravating things in this world, might just be poor decisions that are considered validated by dumb luck producing a good result. It is good that a nice result happened, but the decision was still poor. The same thing goes for good calls that ends up with poor results. Intent is important, but it really isn't just that, it is about proper decision-making being based on what information you have at the time of the decision.

If you're more talking about sub-par, but working solutions being valuable, then sure, absolutely.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's noticeable when, say, rich people make large donations to charities. I see a lot of weird backlash in some cases because that billionaire only donated a couple million, so the gesture itself is meaningless.

It's weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grandmother of Five posted:

Is there anything concrete that made you think of that?

I was told I shouldn't have voted to stay in the EU because I apparently had "capitalist reasons" for doing so.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Butts are the best

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We Know Catheters posted:

Butts are the best
Wrong thread.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

We Know Catheters posted:

Butts are the best

Wrong thread.

Rolling coal makes you an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Late but RE: spoilers. I mostly agree except for... I don't know, it's almost a particular kind of movie or maybe even just the shot. I think what we're largely talking about are major twists or mysteries that are being led up to or a cool ending. But there are three death scenes that stand out in my mind as having a fantastic gut-punch impact that would have been lost with spoilers: Llewellyn's death in No Country for Old Men, the girl walking off onto the ice in Everlasting Moments, and the suicide scene in Ida. They each move faster than you do and there's this excellent moment of confusion, denial, frantic rationalizations and defeat that accompany them as you realized what just happened. Ida in particular was great for that, so much so that they lifted in wholesale in GoT a few years later.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't really mind spoilers as long as they don't lay everything out. Like I knew the famous snape kills dumbledore spoiler before I read the book and still enjoyed it because I didn't know all of the lead-up to it or why he did it. That's why I don't like it when people leak scripts like they've been doing with GoT. I'll still watch it but it's kind of lame knowing what's going to happen scene by scene.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wish I hadn't known the actual plot of Collateral Beauty going in because it's hilariously deranged, but I also wouldn't have watched it otherwise

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I don't know if this is generally an UO but it seems to be among my social circles: I treat rotten tomatoes as the law. Anything below 50% is not worth watching and anything above 80% is a must watch.

Have I missed movies I would have liked? Probably.
Have I seen movies I didn't like? Yeah.
In the end I think it helps way more than it harms.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

People that are concerned with reviews and "objective" measures of quality in regards to media are taking themselves way too seriously, in my unpopular opinion

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

games shouldn't have sniper classes

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

hawowanlawow posted:

games shouldn't have sniper classes

Games should only have "tank" classes. Big, slow, armored, and strong. None of that flipping around and sissy dodging nonsense.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm not going to play Senua's Sacrifice until the Shotgun DLC drops.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Spoilers can't really ruin the spectacle of something, or encompass writing that is genuinely insightful, or well-written character development, I feel. Spoilers don't have to be all cheap jump-scares, but there is some truth to it, I think, that media which can be spoiled might often be poorly written. Some tools and narrative elements, which aren't inherently bad, are just often used by writers who are forced to rely on them, like a blank-slate or a Mary Sue character might be worthwhile and fitting in a well-written story, but it might also be the only kind of character that a poor writer is comfortable with.

The same thing sort of goes for unexpected twists. Reveals can for sure be part of and integral to a well-written narrative, but they are nearly unavoidable and will litter the narrative of a writer who simply can't actually write a coherent story.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Caufman posted:

I'm not going to play Senua's Sacrifice until the Shotgun DLC drops.

thats not an opinion

Jastiger posted:

Rolling coal makes you an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

a rolling coal gathers no moss

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Spoiled milk isn't good and neither are spoiled films.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chrono Cross also had an amazing soundtrack.

:discourse:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Chernabog posted:

I don't know if this is generally an UO but it seems to be among my social circles: I treat rotten tomatoes as the law. Anything below 50% is not worth watching and anything above 80% is a must watch.

Have I missed movies I would have liked? Probably.
Have I seen movies I didn't like? Yeah.
In the end I think it helps way more than it harms.

That's dumb as gently caress. I look at RT scores for movies I want to see and it's more like "Welp, hope the movie is better than/as good as they say!" Although the one movie I didn't see because of the RT rating was Batman vs. Superman.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I would agree that it helps more than it harms but I don't really trust RT. When a movie has an 80% it doesn't mean it's 80/100 as a score, it just means 80% of critics said it was good enough to watch. Sometimes movies with high scores aren't good as much as they are inoffensive. On the reverse sometimes challenging movies get unfairly low scores because they are excellently made but only for a niche audience. So you get like a 20% on rotten tomatoes but those 20% thought it was this amazing fantastic movie because they were in the target market.

If you're going to judge things purely by numbers (which I think is totally reasonable) use something like imdb instead since that number is actually a 'how good the movie is' and not a 'how many critics liked it' number.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I would agree that it helps more than it harms but I don't really trust RT. When a movie has an 80% it doesn't mean it's 80/100 as a score, it just means 80% of critics said it was good enough to watch. Sometimes movies with high scores aren't good as much as they are inoffensive. On the reverse sometimes challenging movies get unfairly low scores because they are excellently made but only for a niche audience. So you get like a 20% on rotten tomatoes but those 20% thought it was this amazing fantastic movie because they were in the target market.

If you're going to judge things purely by numbers (which I think is totally reasonable) use something like imdb instead since that number is actually a 'how good the movie is' and not a 'how many critics liked it' number.

IMDb isn't really any better. Every time a new movie comes out with a decent level of buzz it vaults into their top 20.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

yeah IMDB has a huge amount of problems. It's mostly nerds so all nerd culture movies get way too high a rating as well, but picking some webiste that isn't RT will at least give you a real score that is a (intended to be) a direct indicator of overall quality.

If I"m feeling snooty and picky about what movies I watch (which is always) I'll use RT and something else at the same time to get a better idea.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

To be fair I see RT as a "likeleyhood" of enjoying a movie, I know it is not a score per se. And if I go with a bunch of people and they all want to see something I will go in regardless of its score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The nice thing is that it also collects the reviews so you can look at the 20% who said good things and see why they liked it.