Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I''m disappointed. The first thing I heard about Uranium probably back around when the game was first released was that the legendary pokemon was actually your dead mum who had died in a nuclear explosion. So since Curie and Urayne showed up i've been eagerly waiting for an astonishingly stupid and incredibly bad out of nowhere twist that no actually the evil mastermind is not the Mum, the evil pokemon is instead! But either I remembered wrong or the spoilers were mistaken. and while the actual writing is still awful and bad it just doesn't measure to what I thought it'd be. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even for a retarded edgy plot twist that was all really badly written

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Why did they rip off Mewtwo's storyline and make it stupider?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Brother Entropy posted:

even for a retarded edgy plot twist that was all really badly written

The all lowercase dialogue from Urayne adding this "owo whats this" vibe to it did not help, either.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

someone awful. posted:

Why did they rip off Mewtwo's storyline and make it stupider?

their version of team rocket was a combination of your mom, various nuclear meltdowns, and a sidequest that gives you a vegetable version of one-punch man

also the fire type gym leader is a poorly balanced man in a skirt instead of a grizzled old scientist

I laugh at OFS pretending this is better than FR/LG in almost any way

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

I laugh at OFS pretending this is better than FR/LG in almost any way

Heh.

Who's pretending. :smugdog:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

The all lowercase dialogue from Urayne adding this "owo whats this" vibe to it did not help, either.

or greentext

>tfw your only friend names you urine

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Red Metal posted:

no it doesn't

I apparently got some bad information from somewhere, my bad. Guess it pays to fact-check vaguely remembered rumors. :shrug:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Heh.

Who's pretending. :smugdog:

you've gone in too deep

someone get me a stockholm syndrome joke involving nukes

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

After seeing all this game has to offer, I can agree with just one goddamn thing:

Eh, I know I've been critical, but Uranium's still better that FR/LG.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Is FR/LG that bad? I ended up skipping it after giving up on pokemon in the middle of playing Sapphire (and not returning until HGSS), so I know basically nothing about it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

XavierGenisi posted:

Is FR/LG that bad? I ended up skipping it after giving up on pokemon in the middle of playing Sapphire (and not returning until HGSS), so I know basically nothing about it.

Imagine going through the blandest Pokemon game with the blandest battle mechanics and the blandest colour palette. And you can't use anything cool or new and nothing has changed until after the 7th badge, where you go to new places that are also pretty meh. Then you have an alright postgame and then you're done. And if you want to complete the Pokedex you need like 7 different games.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

It's fine. I always thought it was a bit stiff and it was weird how it blocked off ANYTHING that wasn't in the original 151 (as mentioned earlier, chansey & golbat refuse to evolve) until you beat the game and did a sidequest to get the national dex.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Until the postgame, FR/LG is R/B again, in RSE's engine, with the running boots and a dialogue scavenger hunt. It's slavishly close to the originals, down to, as I said, Pokemon that got later evolutions just not being able to evolve until you get the National Dex upgrade, which is at the end of a longish postgame sidequest. It even extends to the daycare only taking one pokemon - you can't breed until you find the second daycare that takes two in the postgame. FR/LG are fine games, for what it's worth, there's nothing wrong with them other than they had an opportunity to improve on a classic and very deliberately chose not to.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Urayne supposed to be a pun or something? Or is it seriously just a deliberate misspelling of urine?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Urayne...Uranium...

It's just a lazy not-pun.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

rotinaj posted:

Is Urayne supposed to be a pun or something? Or is it seriously just a deliberate misspelling of urine?

Urayne-ium. Uranium.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Gen III had my favorite legendaries- Saffigh, Roob, and Emeril

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Andorra posted:

Gen III had my favorite legendaries- Saffigh, Roob, and Emeril

Gen III had Emeril, but personally I liked the hidden bonus boss in Fire Red.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

quote:

But... Urayne is a man-made Pokemon, as this completely-shocking plot revelation just told us. How would a naturally occurring Pokemon, even have the vaguest idea that another "legendary" Pokemon was suddenly created into existence and be able to tell!?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh, and Actan is for actaniteactinium. I get it.

I don't want it, but I get it.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Actan is the Actinide series, Lanthan is the Lanthanide series, and Heatran is the Heatrinide series (Atomic Numbers 121-135, no really, I swear).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is there an e4 refight, and if so what happens

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I''m disappointed. The first thing I heard about Uranium probably back around when the game was first released was that the legendary pokemon was actually your dead mum who had died in a nuclear explosion. So since Curie and Urayne showed up i've been eagerly waiting for an astonishingly stupid and incredibly bad out of nowhere twist that no actually the evil mastermind is not the Mum, the evil pokemon is instead! But either I remembered wrong or the spoilers were mistaken. and while the actual writing is still awful and bad it just doesn't measure to what I thought it'd be. :(

yea I remember that too and was kinda expecting the same

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I had also heard the same thing before. I was the only thing I ever knew about Uranium so I took is as solid fact. When people in this thread started saying CURIE was the mom during the past few updates I actually started thinking that maybe they're both right. Maybe the mom was CURIE and Urayne somehow.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

You know, a deep, small but not too small part of me was hopeful that this game wouldn't be building towards the most obvious conclusion but actually build towards something else, maybe play with our expectations a bit. Heck, even Game Freak managed to do that from time to time.

But nah, everything went exactly as expected. I suppose one can argue that as a Pokemon Game the story doesn't really truly matter and it's fundamentally a game about being a derelict 10-year old running around a large metropolitan region alone partaking in state-sanctioned street fights with potential world-ending murderbeasts, but this game forfeited that privilege by trying to play its premise straight from the get-go and establishing a tone that said [SERIOUS POKEMON STORY HERE] so forgive us for having expectations to match (along with the expectation that it'll fall short, of course)

All that said though, I didn't hate the game as presented and I quite liked a few things about it. It certainly doesn't seem completely unsalvagable like, say, Reborn. And who knows, maybe the postgame will deliver-- it's totally not going to deliver, is it. :eng99:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 31, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Glazius posted:

Wait, you only get five in the hall of fame because the useless legendary had to bogart a space?

That's... uh. Wow.

Hey, now. :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
FR/LG annoyed the poo poo out of me for exactly the reasons above; it's one thing to remake an older game, but remaking it almost exactly the same as it was, just with shinier graphics and not fixing any of the problems it had kind of defeats the point!

Yes, I'm still annoyed as gently caress over loving Rock Smash still being an HM in ORAS, what of it. There was no reason for it to be a goddamn HM other than 'well it was in RSE and change is scary :saddowns:'

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
I am honestly disappointed they did this weakass twist. I was expecting something more edgy, like "your mom got irradiated into a Unit-01 knockoff, now beat her up"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

FR/LG annoyed the poo poo out of me for exactly the reasons above; it's one thing to remake an older game, but remaking it almost exactly the same as it was, just with shinier graphics and not fixing any of the problems it had kind of defeats the point!

Yes, I'm still annoyed as gently caress over loving Rock Smash still being an HM in ORAS, what of it. There was no reason for it to be a goddamn HM other than 'well it was in RSE and change is scary :saddowns:'

I hate that rock you have to break every time you go north of the electric gym town

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Manatee Cannon posted:

I hate that rock you have to break every time you go north of the electric gym town

The worst thing is that it keeps respawning. In both the original and the remakes there are other rocks that will go away forever when smashed! Not these though!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea I remember that too and was kinda expecting the same
I was waiting for when Dick Solomon inevitably got to catch the ghost of his dead mom because it's a Pokemon now. What we got instead was somehow exactly as disappointing as I expected, but somehow also even more disappointing.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This is also why HGSS is bad. FRLG just didn't have following Pokemon to distract people from it. :v:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 31, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno, I played FR/LG way back in the day but it would have to be truly abysmal beyond belief to be worse than a game where, you know, all the original Pokémon give half as much EXP as they should and even grinding still leaves you pretty screwed unless you literally cheat.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

HGSS actually edited the Johto regional pokedex to include the new evolved forms of pokemon that appeared in the games (Togekiss, Ambipom, Honchkrow, Weavile...). That is a significant improvement over FRLG.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like how in the end our dad was a loving moron because his wife was evil all along anyways before she 'died'.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
HGSS was the game that got me back into pokemon after skipping RSE and DPPt, though in hindsight I'm not sure why. Pretty sure it was because having my pokemon following me was and still is the best feature ever. I'm also pretty sure it at least had a lot of quality of life features backported into it? I dont remember being hosed out of Ho-oh if I accidentally killed it, for example.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Urayne decides to travel to the world iwth Dick Solomon.
Bit of a typo there.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Sign me up for the "I thought the legendary Pokemon is your mom" club.

Goddammit this makes this reveal even more disappointing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kikas posted:

Sign me up for the "I thought the legendary Pokemon is your mom" club.

Goddammit this makes this reveal even more disappointing.

I remember that rumor too. Maybe someone said it in the main Pokémon thread, before this LP started?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I dunno, I played FR/LG way back in the day but it would have to be truly abysmal beyond belief to be worse than a game

OH MY GOD PEOPLE, IT WAS A JOKE

OFS IS JUST NOT BREAKING KEYFABE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

OH MY GOD PEOPLE, IT WAS A JOKE

OFS IS JUST NOT BREAKING KEYFABE

:ssh:

• Locked thread