Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

spit on my clit posted:

rear end creed black flag is the worst offender of this. 75% of the game is tailing missions, the other 25% are the fun part of the game. except the tailing missions last forever.

I just wanted to point something that was left out: Black Flag has a ship tailing mission. You're in a swamp and you have to maneuver your ship on the lowest speed possible while following another one. It's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thoughtless posted:

In Slime Rancher, you have to keep your slimes fed. How can you tell they're hungry? Well, they make this face:

For several hours of gameplay I thought it meant they're angry or sick. Eyes closed and mouth bleeding isn't really what I associate with hunger.

Is it an anime thing?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I just wanted to point something that was left out: Black Flag has a ship tailing mission. You're in a swamp and you have to maneuver your ship on the lowest speed possible while following another one. It's terrible.

It just looked ludicrous when the game was acting like this gigantic pirate ship was somehow stealthily sneaking around the swamp.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

aaaaaaagh i loving forgot about that one. i think i just gave up on the game at that point.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Samuringa posted:

There's an earlier one on the open sea. Get too close to the ship and you fail. When the ship reaches its destination, you jump off yours and follow a baddie who almost immediately says "I think we were followed by another ship." Thanks for making that loving pointless. Ubisoft really need to make a pirate game that's basically Black Flag without all the Assassin's Creed crap.

eta: Oh, or do the thing LA Noire did and let you skip the bullshit tailing missions.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sunswipe posted:

There's an earlier one on the open sea. Get too close to the ship and you fail. When the ship reaches its destination, you jump off yours and follow a baddie who almost immediately says "I think we were followed by another ship." Thanks for making that loving pointless. Ubisoft really need to make a pirate game that's basically Black Flag without all the Assassin's Creed crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A72NoMuQst0

personally i don't like how ubisoft tries to make the same game every time and sell them as different franchises.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I feel the same way about Yakuza Kiwami right now. I just don't care about the story because I know exactly who makes it out and who doesn't. But then, the games have never really had particularly interesting storylines, it's about seeing Kiryu punch his way out of things then earning everybody's respect in the process because he's that much of a badass.

Another thing dragging Yakuza 0 down: Kiryu doesn't do his "I'll make an offer - in cash!" pose every time he buys a property.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

well why not posted:

What happens when people finally get over DS and you can't summon? It's kinda busted that an important mechanic for new/bad players is just going to disappear with the game's audience. I know there's NPC summons, but they're bad.

That will never happen because there's an entire community of weirdos who do nothing but play the first Dark Souls (because they refuse to believe any game could be an improvement in any way) and spend their time either PVPing or waiting outside of boss doors for summons so they can earn souls to level up so they can PVP. I'm not even joking.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

People just muled and use cheatengine to get where they need to be for PvP in 1, since it had pretty much no penalty for messing with stuff like the later ones, the people still doing co-op and stuff are doing it because they actually wanna mess around and help.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It was fun, doing gimmick runs and using strange weapons while helping others

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I just restarted the original dark souls recently because I never got around to finishing it. I unhollowed to get help on a boss fight and I managed to fight off one invader and have another get dc'd and there was an actual player summon at the door. Now if only I could be summon solaire for the capra demon.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been complaining about Automata a lot lately but the desert boss you fight as A2 is hot bullshit and I've died more to it than I have in the entire game combined. The beserk mode is useless for the fight and the stagger at the end will only get you killed as you can't avoid any of the 6 lasers coming at you. Maybe it's because I was two levels under him but that poo poo was not even close to fun.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It was fun, doing gimmick runs and using strange weapons while helping others

Dragonhead Dragoon against O&S is still my favorite go-to because it's do easy to set up (partizan & dragon head stone with fancy armor) and I always get satisfaction out of killing Ornstein with the dragon breath attack. :allears:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

moosecow333 posted:

I've been complaining about Automata a lot lately but the desert boss you fight as A2 is hot bullshit and I've died more to it than I have in the entire game combined. The beserk mode is useless for the fight and the stagger at the end will only get you killed as you can't avoid any of the 6 lasers coming at you. Maybe it's because I was two levels under him but that poo poo was not even close to fun.

Yup, that one's hot sweaty garbage- just don't bother with berserk mode for a while; the taunt she gets is plenty for damage boosting if you really need a risk-reward kicker. If you were caning the game as 2B then you can probably beat the whole thing without ever needing to go berserk or taunt anybody. A2's storyline and her weird-rear end perspective on the world, particualrly the opening section, are some of my favourite parts of the game.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Thoughtless posted:

In Slime Rancher, you have to keep your slimes fed. How can you tell they're hungry? Well, they make this face:

For several hours of gameplay I thought it meant they're angry or sick. Eyes closed and mouth bleeding isn't really what I associate with hunger.

While i agree that drooly mouth and closed eyes don't really spell "hunger" I just thought about it and how would you signify hunger using only a face on a slime. Its not really a thing you can condense into a facial expression.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

While i agree that drooly mouth and closed eyes don't really spell "hunger" I just thought about it and how would you signify hunger using only a face on a slime. Its not really a thing you can condense into a facial expression.

Yeah, you'd have to give them sunken cheeks and eyes or something.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Shai-Hulud posted:

I would have gone for a slightly more pathetic 'upset' face. Big puppy-dog eyes, staring at you through the cage, maybe whining or tummy-growling.

Still, that one works once you understand it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

moosecow333 posted:

You can keep healing to stay in beserk mode.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

moosecow333 posted:

if you haven't already put it in your chipset, add the highest level of attack heal so you get health while you're hitting during bossfights. deadly heal is better when you're fighting rooms full of enemies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I said this half-in-jest in the appropriate thread, but the more I think about it, the more it actually does slightly bug me:

Sonic Mania (and to some degree, all of the Sonic games that pull from nostalgia from back when the series was good) always use Metal Sonic, but never use another robot Sonic, the one from Sonic 2. I'm sure a lot of this comes from Sonic 2 being my wheelhouse, sure, but man.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sonic wiki posted:

Metal Sonic is an intelligent machine with a very dark side. A cold-hearted, aggressive and ruthless killer, he is obsessed with proving his superiority to Sonic and eliminating him for good to the point where he has rebelled against Eggman more than once to achieve his goal

Everything I've ever read about sonic makes it sound like bad fanfiction of itself

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

EmmyOk posted:

Everything I've ever read about sonic makes it sound like bad fanfiction of itself

There's a reason the Sonic games people remember most fondly are the ones that didn't have a story beyond "Stop the bad man."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Correct

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Is there anything like the same level of crazy official bad Mario fanfiction (live-action movie excepted)? I don't really remember anything of the sort when I was growing up but I could have just missed it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Na Mario's design never resonated with broken brains in the same way Sonic and co do.

A more contemporary example might be MLP. There's something about certain design elements that make people latch on to an extremely unhealthy degree, even if said design was cranked out via sterile board room and focus testing approaches

E: oh you meant official...hmm I remember the baby Bowser and peach thing being kinda weird as hell in sunshine and rustling all sorts of feathers in online forums but other than that I can't think of anything myself

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Aug 31, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Is there anything like the same level of crazy official bad Mario fanfiction (live-action movie excepted)? I don't really remember anything of the sort when I was growing up but I could have just missed it.
Nintendo are insanely protective of Mario.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Making you smell Yoshi's eggs was weird too

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

I said this half-in-jest in the appropriate thread, but the more I think about it, the more it actually does slightly bug me:

Sonic Mania (and to some degree, all of the Sonic games that pull from nostalgia from back when the series was good) always use Metal Sonic, but never use another robot Sonic, the one from Sonic 2. I'm sure a lot of this comes from Sonic 2 being my wheelhouse, sure, but man.

The second part of the Metal Sonic fight has him calling in a bunch of Silver/Mecha Sonics that you have to bounce into him or bounce off of.

But yeah Silver Sonic is pretty under-utilised otherwise

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I found out a few days ago that you can get free copies of "No One Lives Forever 1& 2" for free since no one knows who actually owns the IP. They've been remastered with slightly better graphics and new netcode for multiplayer. I remember always wanting to play them when they came out but my PC was ancient and by the time I had a decent one I kind of forgot about them, so I was excited for them.

Now I know these are older games with outdate mechanics but I can't really seem to get ahold of how I should play the game. They give you all kinds of cool gadgets that I never seem to need to use. Their is a pretty lengthy stealth tutorial before the game starts but in the actual game I get spotted instantly and aggro every guard in the level. There's no detection meter, you're either completely invisible or everyone in the level can see me. I try and be stealthy but eventually I just end up tripping the alarm 4 or 5 times then just say "gently caress it" and run through the level like it's Quake and just blast everyone away.

The games are still pretty charming and lots of fun, I just feel like I'm playing it wrong by blasting everyone away and not trying to be stealthy at all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Qwertycoatl posted:

You could probably count Captain N in that, along with the Valiant Nintendo comics, though they all were kind of awesome in their own strange ways.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Qwertycoatl posted:

I guess Paper Mario (or at least 2 and Super) is kind of fanfictiony? But not in a bad way.
And then that story stuff got dropped for sticker star which was pretty bad because -Color Splash was kind of the same but it makes up for its lack of story because its a really funny game.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

moosecow333 posted:

Just don't use berserk mode. Keep your pod firing constantly and smack them around whenever you get the chance. If you have the chip that gives you temporary invincibility for a second or so after getting hit it's virtually impossible to lose

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I found out a few days ago that you can get free copies of "No One Lives Forever 1& 2" for free since no one knows who actually owns the IP. They've been remastered with slightly better graphics and new netcode for multiplayer. I remember always wanting to play them when they came out but my PC was ancient and by the time I had a decent one I kind of forgot about them, so I was excited for them.

Now I know these are older games with outdate mechanics but I can't really seem to get ahold of how I should play the game. They give you all kinds of cool gadgets that I never seem to need to use. Their is a pretty lengthy stealth tutorial before the game starts but in the actual game I get spotted instantly and aggro every guard in the level. There's no detection meter, you're either completely invisible or everyone in the level can see me. I try and be stealthy but eventually I just end up tripping the alarm 4 or 5 times then just say "gently caress it" and run through the level like it's Quake and just blast everyone away.

The games are still pretty charming and lots of fun, I just feel like I'm playing it wrong by blasting everyone away and not trying to be stealthy at all.
I started playing NOLF the other day too, but I feel like I got the advantage having watched a rather comprehensive LP beforehand. I noticed the same problem with being detected instantly, until I realized that there is one thing you need: the Carbine rifle. It is, as far as I can tell, the only truly silent weapon in the game which you can use to shoot a pair of guards without alerting the entire level. The other rule for stealth is to not shoot anyone within close range of a camera (it's rather forgiving, though, what counts as "within camera radius"). Also, finally, at some point in every level you WILL say "gently caress it" and stop stealthing. It's okay, just try to do it late enough to not have alarms blaring throughout the entire level. That's super annoying.

What did annoy ME is that the game runs perfectly fine, except under water it'll go completely black for some reason. I googled a bit and found a fix, but activating that fix gives me an ugly watermark of the program in the corner and changes...something with the colors and brightness that literally makes my eyes hurt after a few minutes. I don't quite remember from the LP but I hope there is, like, only one more water level and then I can stop using that bullshit.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

woah. when did this happen?

i've been wanting to play this game for, like, ever.

there are a poo poo ton of game series coming back i wasn't expecting.

did y'all know fear effect was coming back?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Your Gay Uncle posted:

For the most part stealth games were pretty much unplayable up until the tail end of the PS2 era. Even classics like Thief have a bunch of terrible parts where you're smacking spiders with a short sword because they didn't have faith in it.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Sep 1, 2017

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

woah. when did this happen?

i've been wanting to play this game for, like, ever.

there are a poo poo ton of game series coming back i wasn't expecting.

did y'all know fear effect was coming back?

They went online about a year ago. I'd link it but I'm not sure if that would count as :filez: or not . Just google " No One Lives Forever Remaster."

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Is there anything like the same level of crazy official bad Mario fanfiction (live-action movie excepted)?

The movie owns actually

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

They went online about a year ago. I'd link it but I'm not sure if that would count as :filez: or not . Just google " No One Lives Forever Remaster."

Probably don't direct link but yeah even Rps did an article that was just "look everyone's given up on working out who owns these games but whoever it is is sitting on the rights just yo be a dick and won't even let GOG put them up and give them free money, they're really easy to find in a remastered package so please play them, literally nobody cares"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I wanna hope eventually that mess will get untangled like it did with System Shock 2, for a long while you couldn't buy it anywhere either for the same kind of reason, the ownership was in limbo between I forget who and then some clearing house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So the one thing that's annoying me about Prey is that I really regret getting any of the typhon powers. It's bound to M2 by default. which is the same button to cancel out of menus. And the game is really inconsistent about when you can cancel out of something and when it's just going to get you stuck in your "I'm turning into a chair now" animation.