Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Would it have killed iam8bit to, like, change the packaging or something?

They would just end up printing it upside down like what they did with Rez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Uh that wasn't upside down that was "manga style"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
$100 is quite steep but I'm guessing Capcom wants a huge licensing fee.

iam8bit stuff ends up being worth decent money. Those Killer Instinct vinyl records went for 5x what they sold for (depending on what cover you got)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

iam8bit stuff ends up being worth decent money. Those Killer Instinct vinyl records went for 5x what they sold for (depending on what cover you got)

Don't buy collectables because you think they'll be worth something some day. That's a sure fire way to get burned. Get them if you think they'll be fun to have.

Honestly $100 doesn't seem that outrageous for a fresh printing of a cart and a pile of supplemental materials to me. Of course, that's assuming that what they put together is actually good and not your standard video game special edition pile of crap.

Speaking of spending too much money on things you don't need, I just had a bit of a windfall myself and I'm trying to find something nice to get for myself. However, all my ideas are obscure enough that I can't find copies on eBay when I search. I suspect I'm going to wind up at my fall back of "buy a bunch of weird stuff that looks kinda interesting and see what I get".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
oh I don't buy collectables to keep or to flip on eBay. The amount of effort required plus the chance of some rear end in a top hat claiming they received it broken means I'll never bother with that stuff.

But yeah I'd imagine it wasn't cheap to get those carts made. I wonder if the ROM is going to be different at all. I'm guessing it can't have the word Nintendo anywhere in it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My assumption, based on absolutely no research, is that it's actually really cheap to make new cartridges.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
My assumption on only slightly more research is that it is in fact very cheap to make new carts, and also that this version of SF2 is 100% identical to the original ROM and you should only buy it if you want a red cart and whatever other garbage is in the box.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

I may just ebay Super Mario RPG and call it a day. Or bite the bullet on a SD2SNES.

Just in case you don't know, SMRPG is one of the few games the SD2SNES can't play: https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Breadallelogram posted:

Just in case you don't know, SMRPG is one of the few games the SD2SNES can't play: https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Ah thanks, at one point I did know that but have forgotten. Oh well, hopefully I just get the SNES CE anyway, but was leaning towards the cart instead of SD2SNES anyway so I could play on my Retron if I wanted (I think they fixed the issues in more recent firmware).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The reality of collectible hobbies is that people monetize them. Supply and demand theory has always fascinated me for some reason. I used to follow values diligently, but I haven't been for about two years. I always get wrapped up supply and demand every time I find a new market involved in my hobby and try to peel back the curtain to see where the supply is. I do it now with local real estate.
I like to scroll through graphs in the steam market place also. I don't participate in the steam market more than just selling stuff I get for just playing, but it's still fascinating to me.

The thing I've learned is that participating in supply and demand markets to make money is not worth your time unless you dedicate time every day to learning it so that you become an expert. After two years of building a NES licensed set, I thought I was an expert. The problem is that reading the market still felt a little bit like gambling. If you are in a collectibles market and you feel like your decisions are gambling you are not an expert. When you truly know a market it is not gambling.

Cosmicjim's hot tips:
Don't buy video games as an investment.
Almost nothing is rare as you think it is.
Peak demand is usually about 20 years after something is released. SNES is pushing 27.
Prices are sticky. After demand wanes prices fall slowly because people tend to just hang onto things instead of selling for a loss. This can even cause prices to continue to rise for awhile while demand falls.
If you are a cut throat rear end in a top hat that lies and cheats to get things people will notice. Losing friends over a few bucks on video games is not worth it.
If someone in your circle of friends and family does meth your games are not safe.
If you try to collect sets and do it too quickly you will burn out.
Do not become a hoarder. Do not buy every cheap video game related item you see. I had this problem for awhile.
Selling your stuff off when you burn out or get into financial trouble is a hassle. It sucks. It is a burden. This is another reason not to buy as an investment.

I'll add more if I can think of anything. Time for work.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

20 years, so if I'm gonna get rid of my N64 games now's the time?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you don't want them.....

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, there are rumblings of an N64 Classic Edition in the works...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

My assumption on only slightly more research is that it is in fact very cheap to make new carts, and also that this version of SF2 is 100% identical to the original ROM and you should only buy it if you want a red cart and whatever other garbage is in the box.

If they're going Chinese pirate method (:pirate:) then per cart shouldn't cost them more than $10. Hopefully they're going for more solid quality overall plus not going for the second tier repro method of burning some eproms in which case it's probably costing them closer to $30 per cart, maybe even a bit more depending on how they do things.

Edit: The comedy route is going around in secret and buying 6000 SF2 SNES carts and putting a new shell on them. :v:

cosmicjim posted:

Do not become a hoarder. Do not buy every cheap video game related item you see. I had this problem for awhile.

But getting weird games and seeing what they are is the thing I like most in this hobby! :v:

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I know it's because of the classic appeal of vanilla SF2, but what bothers me most is that for $100, it's not even Turbo.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Do people actually think the SF2 repro cart is for consoles? Shits for shelves and that's it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

anothergod posted:

Do people actually think the SF2 repro cart is for consoles? Shits for shelves and that's it.

Please fireproof your shelf.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Definitely a lot of good points in here. I've also got some objectively rare video game items (Limited edition Japanese Xbox One games :twisted:) that are essentially worthless due to zero demand.

Storage is expensive and fraught with risks, like if you store stuff in your basement and it leaks (has happened twice to me so far), if some pristine CE box falls over and now it's got a dented corner, if poo poo goes missing during a move...

One of my relatives runs a store for other popular media (not video games) and has a lot of trouble with his boss who seems dead-set on hoarding because all of their warehoused poo poo is definitely price-wise going to the moon any decade now we just have to set money on fire via warehousing costs until then.

I will also say from personal experience that video games are exceptionally bad and triggering for people with hoarding/collecting types of mental illness, especially Nintendo products, which has gotten astronomically bad in the last 2-ish years.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

univbee posted:

One of my relatives runs a store for other popular media (not video games) and has a lot of trouble with his boss who seems dead-set on hoarding because all of their warehoused poo poo is definitely price-wise going to the moon any decade now we just have to set money on fire via warehousing costs until then.

I'm going to guess it's vinyl.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

I'm going to guess it's vinyl.

Not a bad guess but it's dumber than that, it's collectible cards (like M:tG and similar) and board games and the kinds of collectibles you would find in said store.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet on a framemeister. Anyone with experience with one who can say whether it's worthwhile?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

univbee posted:

Not a bad guess but it's dumber than that, it's collectible cards (like M:tG and similar) and board games and the kinds of collectibles you would find in said store.

Selling off my Magic stash has helped me out of a tight spot before, but lol at the idea of it being an investment.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I'm thinking of biting the bullet on a framemeister. Anyone with experience with one who can say whether it's worthwhile?

It certainly can be, it's largely going to depend on how much use it will see. It also doesn't 100% catch up to a CRT in terms of latency and can still have some issues in certain niche cases, so if you a CRT or PVM is an acceptable substitute for what you want that's likely going to be cheaper and give you better results. It's definitely the best device for plugging in old consoles into a modern flat screen.

Star Man posted:

Selling off my Magic stash has helped me out of a tight spot before, but lol at the idea of it being an investment.

The worst is I think the stuff being "held" isn't M:tG-related. My brother himself has also made bank off selling M:tG cards on a personal level.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cosmicjim posted:

The reality of collectible hobbies is that people monetize them. Supply and demand theory has always fascinated me for some reason. I used to follow values diligently, but I haven't been for about two years. I always get wrapped up supply and demand every time I find a new market involved in my hobby and try to peel back the curtain to see where the supply is. I do it now with local real estate.
I like to scroll through graphs in the steam market place also. I don't participate in the steam market more than just selling stuff I get for just playing, but it's still fascinating to me.

The thing I've learned is that participating in supply and demand markets to make money is not worth your time unless you dedicate time every day to learning it so that you become an expert. After two years of building a NES licensed set, I thought I was an expert. The problem is that reading the market still felt a little bit like gambling. If you are in a collectibles market and you feel like your decisions are gambling you are not an expert. When you truly know a market it is not gambling.

Cosmicjim's hot tips:
Don't buy video games as an investment.
Almost nothing is rare as you think it is.
Peak demand is usually about 20 years after something is released. SNES is pushing 27.
Prices are sticky. After demand wanes prices fall slowly because people tend to just hang onto things instead of selling for a loss. This can even cause prices to continue to rise for awhile while demand falls.
If you are a cut throat rear end in a top hat that lies and cheats to get things people will notice. Losing friends over a few bucks on video games is not worth it.
If someone in your circle of friends and family does meth your games are not safe.
If you try to collect sets and do it too quickly you will burn out.
Selling your stuff off when you burn out or get into financial trouble is a hassle. It sucks. It is a burden. This is another reason not to buy as an investment.

I'll add more if I can think of anything. Time for work.

Multi-disc games are always more expensive, never assume otherwise.. You're paying for a complete set of intact discs.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Multi-disc games are always more expensive, never assume otherwise.. You're paying for a complete set of intact discs.

What is this referencing? What is this comparing?
More expensive than what?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

cosmicjim posted:

What is this referencing? What is this comparing?
More expensive than what?

More expensive than single disc games?

I think they're just adding a new tip to your list dude.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

univbee posted:

The worst is I think the stuff being "held" isn't M:tG-related. My brother himself has also made bank off selling M:tG cards on a personal level.

As someone who has spent 20yrs playing mostly non-MTG TCGs and spending a lot of time in stores like that they own a huge pile of garbage. Only a tiny subset of the rarest cards in those games is worth the labor it would take to find and ship them. Even if a card is worth anything finding the right buyer can be a huge headache. Some board games are worth money but again not many and finding the right buyer and ensuring the game is complete is awful

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

More expensive than single disc games?

I think they're just adding a new tip to your list dude.

It's a weird tip. Every single item has it's own economics. If you pay more for something BECAUSE it's multidisc you are doing it wrong. Multidisc games tend to have more value, because having the full set can be more scarce for various reasons like pieces are lost or damaged more easily, but it's still all relative to the demand for that specific game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

As someone who has spent 20yrs playing mostly non-MTG TCGs and spending a lot of time in stores like that they own a huge pile of garbage. Only a tiny subset of the rarest cards in those games is worth the labor it would take to find and ship them. Even if a card is worth anything finding the right buyer can be a huge headache. Some board games are worth money but again not many and finding the right buyer and ensuring the game is complete is awful

Yeah this is essentially my relative's stance. It's not really worth the investment of warehousing and the related labor of managing physically huge amounts of stuff become some tiny, probably sub-1% of it will go "to the moon" which at the end of the day doesn't offset the other 99+% of garbage whose value rotted away especially when you crunch the numbers of what all that inventory management cost you over the years.

It also highlights one of the weird conundrums of things being rare and expensive, in that things have to be produced in pretty small quantities for something to become rare, and the reason things end up in small quantities is usually "because it was a bad product that no one cared for and should have stayed that way."

And specific video games do almost invariably have a lot of alternatives, legal and otherwise. Mega Man X3 on SNES in English is a very expensive cart, sure, but you can also legally play it:

Via the much cheaper Japanese Super Famicom version
On a PS1 in Europe
On Saturn in Europe
On PC
Via the Wii U Virtual Console
Via the 3DS Virtual Console
Via the Mega Man X Collection on PS2 (and by extension, BC PS3's)
Via the Mega Man X Collection on Gamecube (and by extension, most Wii's)

Not to mention all the ways you can play it non-legally, including ROM's, flash carts, and "the above list, but with piracy"

You could argue the legit SNES cart is a "superior" product but is it $170 or whatever superior?

Also I have a new project suggestion, and might even do it myself if someone can point me to a good parsable source of eBay historical pricing averages: at what point in time would it have been "cheapest" to get a complete set of game carts for NES and SNES, and how much would this have been? And I mean piecemeal, not buying a complete lot that is explicitly being sold as such.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
My new Everdrive-GB X7 arrived. I went for the X7 purely because I wanted the RTC on Harvest Moon GB. There are what, five games on the original GB that use RTC? I don't even have a GBC at the moment. I don't even particularly want to play Harvest Moon GB. It's pretty good and cool though. The weird way they did the save state button actually... feels OK? There's a button inside the case, you just press on the outside of the case to bring up the menu in-game. I haven't actually used the save state function, but it feels like a nice satisfying click, like the big GBC cart bulge actually is a proper button.

Would still have preferred a grey original cart instead of the GBC style, but you can't have everything.

Edit: This is the first time I have ever played a Beatmania game and I am awful. Thanks, Krikzz, for letting me be bad at games in exciting new ways.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 31, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

univbee posted:

Yeah this is essentially my relative's stance. It's not really worth the investment of warehousing and the related labor of managing physically huge amounts of stuff become some tiny, probably sub-1% of it will go "to the moon" which at the end of the day doesn't offset the other 99+% of garbage whose value rotted away especially when you crunch the numbers of what all that inventory management cost you over the years.

It also highlights one of the weird conundrums of things being rare and expensive, in that things have to be produced in pretty small quantities for something to become rare, and the reason things end up in small quantities is usually "because it was a bad product that no one cared for and should have stayed that way."

And specific video games do almost invariably have a lot of alternatives, legal and otherwise. Mega Man X3 on SNES in English is a very expensive cart, sure, but you can also legally play it:

Via the much cheaper Japanese Super Famicom version
On a PS1 in Europe
On Saturn in Europe
On PC
Via the Wii U Virtual Console
Via the 3DS Virtual Console
Via the Mega Man X Collection on PS2 (and by extension, BC PS3's)
Via the Mega Man X Collection on Gamecube (and by extension, most Wii's)

Not to mention all the ways you can play it non-legally, including ROM's, flash carts, and "the above list, but with piracy"

You could argue the legit SNES cart is a "superior" product but is it $170 or whatever superior?

Also I have a new project suggestion, and might even do it myself if someone can point me to a good parsable source of eBay historical pricing averages: at what point in time would it have been "cheapest" to get a complete set of game carts for NES and SNES, and how much would this have been? And I mean piecemeal, not buying a complete lot that is explicitly being sold as such.

The cheapest point to get nes and snes sets would be at the earliest point you could track eBay data. That has me thinking, it would be cool to see that graph over time. It probably exists.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

univbee posted:

actually not wrong on the board games- if a board game is in any way noteworthy and goes OOP, the price on it will skyrocket and pretty much never go back down unless it gets reprinted

MTG cards are iffy; some hold value great, some are worthless and will always be worthless. if he's hoarding a ton of lands he needs to either use them himself or lose them, but if he's got a Black Lotus that's a solid chunk of change in and of itself, and there's a whole spectrum of rarity between the two

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

univbee posted:

I'd say 2001, just because a Stadium Events cartridge went for $40 on eBay that year.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I'd say 2001, just because a Stadium Events cartridge went for $40 on eBay that year.

Wasn't Stadium Events only rare in one specific variation, like its PAL version with German packaging or something? At least the $20k one.

There's a website for historical eBay tracking right?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

univbee posted:

Wasn't Stadium Events only rare in one specific variation, like its PAL version with German packaging or something? At least the $20k one.

There's a website for historical eBay tracking right?

The North American version of stadium is the more rare version. Pal versions are more common.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Hmmm, assuming I can get this data, accounting for anomalies like this is going to be interesting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cosmicjim posted:

The North American version of stadium is the more rare version. Pal versions are more common.

Specifically what makes it rare was that it had a limited run under the name Stadium Events before being repackaged as "World Class Track Meet".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Nah, nah. See the thing is, there was about a 6 months, year, period where Iomega decided to cut costs on Zip drives by a few cents a unit when they were at the height of their popularity. And their cost cutting measure was to remove a few bits of plastic that were specifically designed to prevent the click of death. So drives produced in that period lacked the protection and as soon as a damaged disk was placed in them it would permanently gently caress up any drive they were inserted into and lacked those protection bits. This would then break all your other disks etc.

Besides that though, the Zip drives and disks were actually significantly more reliable than regular floppies, but, Iomega's greed had to go gently caress things up and make it so it was hard to trust the drives again.

I must have had an early Zip drive because mine was rock solid it's entire life. It was a parallel port version so I'm guessing it was early on in the life of Zip disks.

Storing 100mb on something the size of a stack of two floppies was mind blowing :psypop:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

univbee posted:

Hmmm, assuming I can get this data, accounting for anomalies like this is going to be interesting.

That sale price in 2001 isn't an anomaly. What's going to be tough is being able to filter out "noise." CIB vs loose, repros, those loving magnets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

univbee posted:

words..

I wouldn't argue it's a superior product, b/c I don't think it actually is, but...

for some people, $170 isn't that much money, and it's an easy purchase.

For others, having the thing they had as a kid is what's important. No they won't play it that much, they just have it.

• Locked thread