Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ZiegeDame posted:

I'm not sure that really counts as being given to Eva, unless they came to some sort of agreement earlier on Beato decided to deliver on her end using George's blood because gently caress you Eva. Which isn't impossible, since there's still a lot about Episode 3 that isn't fixed so we can't say much for sure about what exactly happened outside the beginning and the end.

My personal suspicion would be that the actual card and key required were delivered to her afterwards.

Theoretically under this line of logic, either Rudolf or Kyrie would be a conspirator as well, perhaps both, as a result of the card delivered to Ange. Rudolf's odd prescience to him being killed is what suggests him, and Kyrie's phone call in episode 4 her. It's also theoretically possible that it's simply blood money, sent to a relative of one of the deceased, but the hurried nature of the one near George's murder scene suggests otherwise. That's unlikely to have been part of the original plan, unlike all the other cards/letters that were sent before the murders.

Edit: Ange's recipient is marked as Rudolf, so even more likely to be him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rko posted:

#witchchat was following the storm all night; I hope you're safe, EagerSleeper!

RedMagus posted:

Keep safe Hurricane buddy! Also, this is now my default image for Kanon/Yasu during the entire 1986 conference with Battle around.

Thank you all, I appreciate it. :unsmith: I'm safe, just need to check on my family who were in the areas directly in front of the storm. I hope that everyone else made it through okay!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Welcome back to not being in immediate danger.

It's kinda nice here.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Sukashiyuri

From the way they measured the wall and set out tools, it could be seen that they were planning some sort of construction project.

"This is of the utmost importance to the Master. Be sure that you do not damage it."

The president of the construction company nodded his head several times to show that he understood. Then, six young workers carried in a large rectangular object wrapped in a white sheet...

"Ookay, careful there! Set 'er down gently... Gently, I say."
"Is this spot good?"
"Great, let's get started."

Apparently, they were putting something large onto the wall of the hall...

"That's what he wants. After all, this mansion is little more than one of Father's toys."

Natsuhi took a deep breath. Though this was a whim of Kinzo's, a man she greatly respected, she seemed to resist the idea of hanging it right here in the entrance hall, the face of the mansion. When the white sheet was pulled off, a Western woman wearing a beautiful dress came into view...

"Is it proceeding well?"
"Yes. They will be finished by this evening."
"I would like to see it hanging there for all to see as soon as possible. I want you overseeing this, my friend."
"Leave it to me."
"...Father. It seems to be a splendid portrait."
"Yes. An excellent effect. I am satisfied."
"...This is your benefactor, the woman who gave you the gold, right?"
"Indeed. If I had not met Beatrice, I would not be here, nor would the Ushiromiya family, nor would, of course, this mansion. It's only natural that her portrait be displayed in the best possible location."

Now that he had said so this bluntly, there would be no contradicting him. Krauss and Natsuhi could only shrug.

"...Master. The epitaph plate is here. Would you please check to see that all is in order?"
"Good point. Each and every word must be correct..."

Epitaph...? Krauss and Natsuhi crooked their heads and followed Kinzo. The leader of the workers set down a plate wrapped in a sheet. The others thought that the picture's name and an explanation might be on it, but it seemed to have quite a lot of words for that...

"...Father. What is this...?"

"Heh. Heheheheheheh. Read and interpret it as you like."

"I don't know much about this epitaph. It doesn't exist in my world."
"Probably not. In your world, there's already a clear successor: you. But not in this world."
"In other words, this epitaph was set up to choose Grandfather's successor after all...?"
"Most likely. Or, he might have wanted to believe in the chance of a miracle."

A difficult riddle, made so that no one would be able to solve it. If someone actually could solve it, they would be a miracle. Wouldn't that miracle... guide the person Kinzo most wanted to solve it...?

"In short, this epitaph really does show a ceremony to revive the witch Beatrice, just as everyone thought...?"
"...That is a normal interpretation to make. A mysterious ritual, sacrificing 13 people to revive the witch. However, that is not the true ceremony. It lies in wait for someone to miraculously solve it. That is the true ceremony. However, fate does have its irony."
"Genji already knew. Maybe Kinzo set this up in the first place because he guessed that Genji knew everything."
"...Was that fate a coincidence, or something planned? I do not know. However, with this epitaph, the witch Beatrice will revive in the truest sense."

BGM: Lie-alaiaa

My soul was captured by the woman shown in that massive portrait. That might have been literally true. Or, rather than captured, perhaps it would be better to say that my soul had returned to a more fitting place, the place it belonged. The beautiful blonde hair was the same as mine, but tied up. The dress she wore was a deep black, making that golden hair stand out all the more.

...This is the witch... Beatrice. My... true form...

"? What is this?"

There was a plate with too many words for it to be the title of the picture. Behold the sweetfish river running through my beloved hometown... You who seek the Golden Land, follow its path downstream in search of the key.

"...The Golden Land... I see, so my world... is the Golden Land..."

I have always called my own, personal world a Paradise. But tonight, I shall change that. From now on, my world shall be the Golden Land. I am the master of the Golden Land, Beatrice... And then, there is the brutal ceremony of sacrifices, starting on the first twilight. On the ninth twilight, the witch shall revive, and none shall be left alive...

Then, on the tenth twilight, the journey shall end, and I shall reach the capital where the gold dwells... The witch shall praise the wise and bestow four treasures. One shall be all the gold from the Golden Land.

...Kinzo received a massive amount of gold from Beatrice, and rumor has it that it still lies hidden somewhere. Is this, as the family members and servants are all whispering, a code showing the location of Kinzo's hidden gold?

"...If a human solves it, they will obtain a great quantity of gold. However, if I do, it will mean my own resurrection..."

...Kinzo, you aging magician. Just when I was mocking the shortness of the time left to you, you start a game like this. How interesting. I'll definitely solve it. Then, I will revive as the real Beatrice. When that happens, I will use my great magical power to control object and man, day and night, and all of Rokkenjima...

"The rumors tell that the Master has 10 tons of gold hidden away...!"
"...Yes, those rumors about Beatrice being the one who gave it to him. I've heard that too."
"10 tons of gold... That would be incredible. I can hardly even imagine it."
"If you had all that, what would you use it for...?! I'd like to touch it, just once...!"
"Hohohohohohohoho! Forget touching it, I'd like to spend it all."
"But why would he go out of his way to present this epitaph, this code showing the hiding place of the gold..."
"That's obvious. He's laughing at everyone, since he thinks no one can solve it."
"It's a challenge to the rest of us, isn't it? He wants to know if there's anyone here wise enough to solve it..."
"It seems that the Master doesn't intend to let Krauss-sama take the headship easily. Perhaps the one who solves this will become his successor?"
"Genji-san, what is this?! Could this be a portrait of... Beatrice? The Beatrice?"
"...Correct. This is Beatrice-sama."
"What on Earth? There's a strange little poem-like thing over here."
"...What is this all about? It's almost like... a pirate code that shows the way to hidden treasure. Genji-san. What does this mean?!"
"The Master said to read and interpret it as you wish. That the riddle applies equally to all who can see the epitaph."
"You said riddle just now, didn't you?! That means this can be solved. Yes, that's it. Father doesn't want Nii-san to succeed him...!"
"So, whoever solves this becomes the successor...!"
"*cackle*cackle*, *giggle*giggle*...!!! Finally... The tables have finally turned... and I now have a real chance... to become the head...!!"

"...I think it's extremely likely that this epitaph shows the location of the hidden gold."
"It looks like Aneki thinks the one who solves it will be chosen as the successor."
"That may also be possible. Father certainly doesn't view Krauss nii-san as an ideal successor. This might be a huge trick he's set up now that he's reaching the end of his years."
"So, if you really solve this riddle, you stand to gain ten tons of gold and the position of successor."
"Technically, perhaps. However, I'm sensing some malice, as though he doesn't think us capable of solving it. I doubt it will be easy."
"True. Heheh. Looks like this'll keep us entertained for some time."

Rosa tossed aside a notepad with the epitaph written on it and flopped over onto the sofa. Solving this means ten tons of gold. With that much, I'd never need to worry about schemes for cash again. If I had money, I could pay off my debts, and that man might come back to me...

"...I know where Father's beloved hometown is. And the sweetfish river? There are many rivers there. What's the village supposed to be? Aah, I don't have a clue...!"
"...Uu-. What's wrong, Mama...?"

Maria looked concerned. Kids are really good at riddles, so maybe...

"Hey, Maria. Do you think you know the answer to this riddle?"
"..."

Maria gazed at the paper with the epitaph on it as though she was trying to bore through it with her eyes. Her eyes opened wider and wider...

"What do you think, Maria...? I guess it might be a bit too hard for you."
"Kihi. Kihihihihihihihihi! This is a witch's ceremony, a resurrection ceremony for Beato...!"
"Where'd you get this?! Hey, Mama, where'd you get this?! I'm gonna ask Beato!! I'm sure this ceremony will let Beato regain her full power! She'll be able to appear in front of everyone and do miracles of magic, without having to worry about the anti-magic toxin anymore...!! Kihihahaha, hahahahahahahahahahaha!!"

BGM: Witch in Gold (cembalo)

"It seems the family members are all competing to solve the riddle."
"Hmph... Good. Let everyone try. And none will solve it. Except for the one blessed by a miracle. If I let my guard down, even I might forget the process. That is how difficult it is."
"...Because it is difficult, solving it will bring about a miracle..."
"Precisely. This is the final miracle I will desire while I still live. My final magic. When a miracle comes and allows one to solve that complicated epitaph, it will surely mean Beatrice's resurrection."
"...Oooh, Beatrice... I just want to see your face one more time... I don't need wealth or honor anymore. If I could only meet you one more time...!"

To Kinzo, who realized he was facing his last years, this would be his final magic. He was betting everything that Beatrice had given him, hoping to meet her just one more time, after being separated by death for two generations. His meeting with Beatrice that day had been the true beginning of his life. And even after those two left the stage, Kinzo had remained there alone in the darkness. The aged monarch had obtained everything, accomplished everything, but this was the one element that had always slipped through his fingers, no matter how much he struggled. If he could just have that element, he would need nothing else in life. In the end, perhaps his whole life was just a journey to learn that one single element made up all that it means to be human.

"My friend. Will the final bit of magic in my life bring me a miracle...?"
"..."

For a while, Genji was silent. He wasn't at a loss for words or struggling to find an answer. During that silence, something had passed between the two men, who had known each other for so long that their friendship surpassed that of master and servant.

"...Very well. No one will solve it. So, it will be a miracle."
"Master. Please, tell me one thing."
"Nn, what is it?"
"If, I ask you. If a miracle does occur..."
"Nn..."

It may have been different when he was young, but in his old age, Genji was not fond of talking about dreams and 'what ifs'. When Genji said 'if'... Kinzo quietly waited for the words of the man he called a friend.

As the one closest to Kinzo, Genji obviously knew of the crazed feelings with which Kinzo had searched for Beatrice in the past. And yet, Genji was asking what Kinzo would do if Beatrice did revive.

"..."
"...Master, at one time in the past, you experienced the miracle of Beatrice-sama being reborn. If that miracle happened again, what would you do?"
"...My friend. So, after all, you do blame me."
"...I do not claim to know everything about your heart and Beatrice-sama's. However, I believe that I do know, in part... of the way in which Beatrice-sama adored you."
"...I lament the fact. You may not believe, but as I have aged, I have come to regret everything."
"..."

"...Is that truly how you feel?"
"Yes, my friend. I regret it. I deeply regret the mistakes I made in my youth. You have aged as well, so you must know. I could not feel guilt for the sins of my youth when I was still young. However, like a deep thorn, it began to fester, torturing me. I, Ushiromiya Kinzo, no longer care how I die! However, this thorn... this regret... is the one thing I must settle... I will return everything to Beatrice. And, I will ask her to forgive me for my sins...! That is... That is my only and final wish... Ooh, oooooohhhh... Uwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...!!"

Kinzo covered his eyes and sobbed. Now that the aged monarch, who had built up a great wealth in a single generation, was reaching the end of his life, he was sobbing simply because he wanted someone to apologize to...

BGM: 7 Weights

"...I thought that too at first, but it looks like the situation's a bit different."
"At this point in time, I also thought it was a trial. That it was a game for selecting the successor, which Ushiromiya Kinzo decided upon on a whim."
"And it wasn't?"
"...This epitaph... meant something for Ushiromiya Kinzo and Ronoue Genji that only, the two of them could understand. So, this was not the workings of fate. It was inevitable. I was no more than a Cinderella, with the pumpkin carriage and glass slippers all prepared beforehand."
"...I get it. So, this was a farce that Kinzo and Genji set up."
"Kinzo did understand. And Genji realized that this was a message."
"I, I don't have a clue what you mean... What did Grandfather understand? And what does Genji-san have to do with this epitaph...?"
"The epitaph wasn't solved. Someone was made to solve it."
"...And then, Beatrice truly revived. If that revival had never happened..."
"...Then, when 1986 came, the crime might have been completely different."
"In the end, since the time of my birth, I have been trapped by the crossroads of fate... and never given the right to make any decisions of my own will."

We are little more than leaves caught in a whirlpool. No matter how we dance, we must eventually be sucked in and disappear...

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 28, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
OK. OK, fine, game, you've got me: I do feel the tiniest sliver of sympathy for the Coward. Not during his big cry-fest about how bad he feels and how he just wants to say sorry- because whatever, old gently caress, I'm rubbing my fingers together and if you focused a mighty telescope you can juuuuuuust make out the violin I'm playing. No, it was in the silence Genji had after Kinzo asked if the miracle would happen, in the "moment that passed between the two men"- what passed was the closest thing Genji ever gave Kinzo that resembled condemnation. Genji as been portrayed as the only thing Kinzo has that resembles a best friend, and when Kinzo receives the hidden message that even the one who knows and cares for him most thinks he is a monster... well, that seems really lonely to me. And I felt... a moment of sadness. A short moment, about 30 seconds or so.

I hope you were paying attention during that time, oh Coward, because that moment is all you're getting. Especially given the weight I feel settling on this story that will break soon...

vvv Like I said, it was short lived; I am an empathetic person by nature, I can't really control it. It certainly doesn't absolve him of what he did, nor does it make me want a punishment for him to fit his crime, which I already know he did not receive... but I had it, and it's gone now, and it's praiseworthy of the story and writing that I was able to feel it at all for someone like him.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 28, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Kind of surprised you felt sympathy for him. I mean, this is literally a biological thing, to not want to knock up your goddamn daughter, and Kinzo hosed even that up.

Really don't feel sorry for him in the least.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oh, did Kinzo make that riddle specifically to apologize to Sayo? Ah... at least Kinzo realized what he did was wrong.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh, did Kinzo make that riddle specifically to apologize to Sayo? Ah... at least Kinzo realized what he did was wrong.

Well, more precisely, he seems to have written the riddle to ask Genji to stop keeping his child from him, if such a child (still) exists, but yeah.

Confused Llama fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 28, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So at least Kinzo knows he's a monster and feels bad about it, which puts him a step above Walter White. Not the highest of bars, that.

So then Yasu doesn't even solve the riddle, Genji just slips them the answer. Puts 'solve the epitaph or die' into a new light if it's not just about showing Battler something in Kuwadorian, but somebody proving that the riddle is actually solvable and not just an incredibly elaborate joke played on Yasu.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Kinzo can still eat poo poo and die, as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if we'll get the epitaph's solution explained to us? I'm really excited to see if my guess was close-ish. I'm still reading, but I don't have a lot to say right now—not like I used to, it seems. This chapter has hit close to home in a lot of ways, on an emotional level, and what felt like projection in the past is feeling more and more like, I dunno, like it's a "there but for the grace of god go I" type of situation. When I think about the confrontation between Yasuda and Battler at the end of chapter 4, it just feels so unbelievably sad now. Please see me, please please please see me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

Battler's behavior in 1986 sure seems to indicate he forgot she even existed.

Well, if you put yourself in Battler's shoes there's a reasonable chance he actually did remember her upon returning to Rokkenjima (at least as "that girl I used to have a crush on") but backed off because it had been 6 years and there was a good chance she might be dating someone else (which turned out to be the case with George). Actually, IIRC Battler even reacts with some sort of surprise upon finding out about her dating George, and it's very possible to interpret that as being some sort of disappointment.

The same thing also applies to contacting her during his absence. It's possible the idea of doing so passed through his head at some point and he just thought "eh it's been years and we were just kids, I'm sure she's moved on." That being said, at the very least, he certainly didn't have any sort of strong feelings for her, or else he would have sent a letter to her along with cousins*. In his mind, she was probably just a girl he had a crush on when he was 12.

The thing about Battler's sin here isn't that what he did was anything particularly wrong or worthy of contempt, but that - even if it wasn't that bad in and of itself - it still had a big negative impact on someone else. It's sorta like how you would want to apologize for hurting someone really bad even if it was a complete accident. What Yasu would probably want in that situation is more "acknowledgement of the harm it caused me" rather than an acknowledgement of how bad the sin itself was.

*"George hid the letter" theory is possible, though I'm inclined to think Battler just forget, since he never made any other attempts to contact her either and had to be prompted by his family just to send those letters.

edit: ah, this is the line I was thinking of with Battler reacting to Shannon dating George:

tiistai posted:

In EP3, his thoughts: "Actually, six years ago, I remember taking notice of her just a little bit. I see, she really fits well with George-aniki, nothing I can do about that. ...Goodbye, my fleeting first love of six years ago... ......Which means that...the collection of embarrassing lines Shannon-chan had just held back on... probably had something to do with that... Aaaaaaaaaaarrghh, I can't take it..."

It definitely seems like Battler was shocked in a pretty negative way. His reaction seems like exactly the sort of reaction I might have if I met some girl I used to have a crush on, found that I still had some interest after meeting her again, and then found out she was dating someone.

Tired Moritz posted:

George did nothing wrong (except the whole weird age thing that no one seemed to care in the context of the story).

He's just a goony dude that don't know how to act naturally around the girl he likes.

Eh, I think his behavior with Shannon crosses the line from "excusable goony stuff" to "highly problematic", to say the least. The way he interactions with Shannon is really hosed up in a way that goes beyond just being shy or whatever.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 28, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It's good to see Kinzo regrets his poo poo, because he drat well better. What does it say that the best thing I can say about Kinzo is that he's not a psychopath, that he actually regrets, ~15 years afterwards?

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Kinzo can still eat poo poo and die, as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if we'll get the epitaph's solution explained to us? I'm really excited to see if my guess was close-ish. I'm still reading, but I don't have a lot to say right now—not like I used to, it seems. This chapter has hit close to home in a lot of ways, on an emotional level, and what felt like projection in the past is feeling more and more like, I dunno, like it's a "there but for the grace of god go I" type of situation. When I think about the confrontation between Yasuda and Battler at the end of chapter 4, it just feels so unbelievably sad now. Please see me, please please please see me.

I'm thinking your guess was correct, but that it's not quite complete. Looking at what happened in episode 5, it works as a starting point, but there's some sort of other path afterwards. I wonder who that was originally concocted by - Kinzo, or Beatrice.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Hope

"I see, the great demon Gaap. Very well, my friend, you will now be Gaap. You may call yourself by that name!"
"Oh, wonderful. So, you've finally given me a name. It's a relief after being nameless so long."
"In that case, I would be honored to receive a name as well. Being nothing more than the head furniture lacks flavor, does it not?"
"Maria. I need a name for this guy too. He is also a great demon, and serves as my butler. He is a subordinate whom I can trust."
"Uu-... Ronove, I guess. The 27th ranked of the great demons...! It's said he'll give you reliable underlings!"
"My, what a coincidence. The family name of my double, Genji, is Ronoue."
"Hoh, that truly is a coincidence! I see, it seems this is the best possible name for you. Very well, you shall now be known as Ronove...!"
"Oh, how pleasant it is to be called by one's name. I thank you for this wonderful name, Lady MARIA."
"Just as the form can be a vessel, so can the name be a strong vessel. For unknown creatures of the other world, simply gaining a name can greatly increase their magical power...!! That's why names are important. Uu-!"
"True, names are important and wonderful. Right, Lia?! You can call me Gaap now, okay...?!"
"Gaap. A splendid name. And I'll ask you to stop shortening my precious name...!"
"Pu ku ku ku...! So, you're Virgilia, the one who guides travelers to Beatrice? That is also a splendid name. Perfect for Milady's teacher."
"Yes, I do like it a lot. A name is a life."
"Maria, thanks to you, my friends have found names. I am deeply grateful...!"
"Uu-uu-! Now it's your turn, Beato! Draw pictures of my bunny friends! Like you did for Sakutaro!"
"Hmmm, very well. Lend me that grimoire."
"Uryu-! Beato's drawings are really great. I can't wait to see!"
"What'll it be like? What'll it be like? Can't wait to see the bunnies! Uu-uu-uu-!!"
"They were in a forest band, were they not? A band, a band... Hmm. Yes, something like..."

Though she is still young, she already has a powerful self-image, and possesses enough knowledge of the magical world to surprise even me. Together, we called ourselves Mariage Sorciere and made each other's magical worlds deeper and richer...

"So, a name can become a great vessel. How very profound."
"It's very important to have a form for a vessel, but a name is just as important."
"Indeed. Those with names leave a greater impression than those without."
"It's not just about forms and names. By knowing more and more about them, you can make them exist much more strongly. So, I'll think up lots of stuff for you."
"Did you do this for Sakutarou as well?"

"He is a lion cub, correct?"
"Sakutaro's a vegeta-lion, so he doesn't eat meat. But everyone else thinks he does, so they're scared of him. But Sakutaro's also a scaredy-cat, so he's just as scared as the others. Ahahahaha, Sakutaro's such a coward."
"Uryu-. I don't eat meat. I'm not a scary lion."
"Oh, look, a flesh-eating sparrow...!! *flap*flap*flap*."
"Uryu-!! Sparrows are scary! Whoosh."
"Wahaha, sparrows don't eat meat."
"Sakutaro's a coward, so he thinks they do. Kihihihihi."
"D, did the sparrow go away...? Uryu-..."
"You're such a scaredy-cat, Sakutaro. If you keep this up, Sakusuke and Sakukichi will start making fun of you again, right?"
"Uryu...! I'm not a scaredy-cat!"
"Ah, the sparrow's back! *flap*flap*flap*!"
"Nooo, I'll be eaten!! Whoosh."
"Hahahaha. Sakutaro is quite entertaining. Then, are Sakusuke and Sakukichi his siblings?"
"Yep. They're his little brothers, waiting for him at home! Sakusuke's a lot more reliable than Sakutaro, and Sakukichi is so skillful, he can do anything. But they're all really good friends...! They all play together on my bed."
"Your bed must be covered with lions."
"Yep. So I call my bed Lion Land! But there's lots of other animals too! Uu-!"
"Lion Land, is it? It sounds like fun."
"...By interacting together, all of MARIA's friends can reinforce their own existence. A great world."
"I guess that means we should work on deepening our relationships as well. By strengthening our bonds, our existence and magical power will grow stronger and stronger..."
"Let's expand our world more and more! From what I've heard, Maria's world has far more than just Sakutarou and the bunnies! We can't let her beat us!"
"My, my. In that case, shall we find more minions for ourselves?"
"It's no fun with just the gold butterflies. After all, they cannot speak...! I'd like some chatty minions who can talk, jump around, and fight with each other."
"True, of course it'll be better to spice things up around here."
"Here in Mariage Sorciere, we have learned how to expand our worlds and create new minions. By now, you may create new minions as often as your imagination allows..."
"Milady, what about those? Could you make vessels of those dark tools you found when cleaning out Goldsmith's storehouse?"
"Oh, perfect! Minions created from dark-looking vessels like that will surely be fitting for me...! There will be more and more of us, and it will get very lively here...!"
"Uu-! We get more and more new friends...! That's my magic! And Beato can take my friends and give them a form. You can make them grow...!"
"You create, and I grow. Hmm. That's Mariage Sorciere for you! Hmmm, still, bunny ears are pretty hard...! It might take some time before the bunnies manifest themselves."
"Make sure you make them cute."
"But of course. This is where I get to show my skill...!"

Doing that is no different from giving birth to new life. When a human gives birth to a child, they give it a form, give it a name to identify it by, and deepen its character by raising it in the world. Mariage Sorciere is doing exactly the same thing. In our world, we can create whatever creatures we think of, give them forms, give them names, and make them friends we can interact with.

We were engrossed with our game in this world called Mariage Sorciere. At least, Maria was engrossed. She would badger me to play this game every time she came. And, of course, I was too. However, when Maria started happily writing something and I just sat there for a while, I must admit that I sighed and looked up at the sky, making sure she didn't notice... It's fun to increase the numbers of our minions. They make things lively, so I do not tire of it. I may have tired of my minions alone, but when I can interact with Maria's minions as well, that does not happen.

It takes two people to create a universe. I now have that second person, so I am satisfied...

BGM: Soul of Soul

And yet, one little part of me... is not. It truly is a tiny part. After all, it's so much fun playing with Maria that time seems to fly on by. But even so, when I look up at the sky, during those short moments, I feel an empty feeling I can't describe...

I know... My universe is not complete. My apologies to Maria, but she is not the second person I want to create a universe with. No matter how much I nurture my world with her, the roots of love in my heart leave gaps. Four years have already passed since that day. He left saying he'd come for me riding a white horse, and I was the only one without a letter. And he even said that he probably wouldn't be returning to Rokkenjima...

Is this... love? I always believed that love was so much sweeter, so much more intoxicating. But now, I don't know anymore. Though I long for him so much it's maddening, I can sometimes feel hatred underneath. However, even that hatred is wrapped in adoration. The roots of love have remained in the corners of my heart all this time. Even though, at some point, I gave up hoping that Battler would return. However, the roots of love stayed right where they were.

...In other words, even four years later, I still believe. He will come back someday. The flower of my love has curled up and withered as though against the winter cold. However, the root is still alive. And, it is always, always waiting for him to return, waiting for a chance to bloom beautifully again.

I'm grateful to Maria. Mariage Sorciere has eased the burden on my heart so much. If we hadn't met like this, I may have withered away along with that root. Even this incomplete universe is necessary for me to remain alive now. I must live on... until I can create my complete universe. Until that day... I will not be complete. Though I have a form and a name, no matter how deep my world grows, I will not be complete.

BGM: Mystic Forest

"...Beato...?"

I accidentally muttered what I had been thinking. Maria stopped talking to Sakutaro. I regretted that my slip of the tongue had ruined this fun time, but there was a long silence before I could smooth it over... I laughed, but it probably sounded hollow. Maria, not knowing why my face had suddenly changed like this, looked taken aback.

"...Though my minions will each deepen this world and their own existences, becoming full, I alone will never be complete."
"..."
"...I know why I will not be complete."
"It's because you don't have enough magical power."

Maria answered instantly. Beatrice has lost her magical power and is unable to regain the power she once had. That's how the story goes. So, Maria's answer was correct.

That's right. I may be incomplete because I have lost my magical power. In that case, if my power becomes complete, and I revive in the truest sense, will my world become complete as well? Does that mean... that the person I want to nourish a universe with will come back? If, as I claim, I really was able to control miracles at will in the past with my magic... Then if I succeed in reviving, will that miracle occur without fail?

"...That's right. It's because I do not possess enough magical power."
"Poor Beato. It must be pretty inconvenient with your magical power still weak."
"I want to get it back... quickly. My old power."
"I guess you'll have to do that then."
"...What do you mean by 'that'...?"
"The ceremony of resurrection. The ceremony of the portrait's epitaph."
"..."

If you read that epitaph literally, it does sound like a witch's resurrection ceremony. To Maria, who believes in witches, that epitaph must be a ceremony in itself. Unlike the other family members, it seems that she's not very interested in the location of the hidden gold.

"...If that epitaph's riddle is solved, one might learn the location where Kinzo hid all the gold I once gave him."
"That's the gold you created with magic, right?"
"Indeed. A crystallization of the great magic I possessed in those days."
"In that case, if you get that gold back, your magical power will go back to normal."
"...Perhaps."
"It will. Uu-! It's got to be your resurrection ceremony...! I'll help, so let's solve it together. And then you'll revive! And when you do, you'll take me to your Golden Land...!"
"That's right. I did promise that I would take you to the Golden Land."
"You said that all wishes are granted there...! There's no black witch there, just a nice Mama...! And I might even meet the Papa I've never seen before...! Of course, there won't be any school, or homework, or bullying friends, and we can live happily ever after...! Hey, Sakutaro, doesn't that sound fun! Uryu-!"

BGM: None

Then, must I face the epitaph's riddle? If Kinzo's children struggled uselessly over it, how could a complete stranger like me solve it...? If I did happen to solve it, that would surely be a miracle. Will doing that bring about another miracle and return my miraculous power to me...?

Behold the sweetfish river running through my beloved hometown. You who seek the Golden Land, follow its path downstream in search of the key...

As you travel down the river, you will see a village. In that village, look for the shore the two will tell you of. There sleeps the key to the Golden Land.

"...There may be villages down that river, but what is this shore the two will tell you of?"

The one who obtains the key must then travel to the Golden Land in accordance with these rules... So, those who do not have the key need not read the rest. I do not understand it, but that's how this riddle is. It's practically unsolvable, so solving it would be a miracle. That much makes sense...

"...Nn."

I felt a stabbing pain in my body. The anti-magic toxin had burned my skin. Some human is probably approaching. I erased my form. Multiple sets of footsteps approached. It was Genji, Shannon, and Kanon too.

"Yes. I hear that even some of the servants have written it down and taken it home with them."
"...If you solve this riddle, will you really find ten tons of gold?"
"Yes. There can be no doubt of that."
"I don't understand. The puzzle may be a tough one, but why is the Master showing the location of his precious gold in a place where everyone can see?"
"...That is the Master's magic, and also a bet. The Master believes that the one who solves this difficult riddle will contain Beatrice-sama's soul within them."
"...That's a strange bet... uh, magic..."
"Hmph, looks like he's taken his occult fanaticism as far as it could possibly go."
"Shh. You shouldn't say that..."
"...All are allowed to try and solve the epitaph's riddle. Of course, the servants are no exceptions. Will you try to solve it?"
"N, no... I could never solve such a hard riddle.. And..."
"...And?"
"Even if I had ten tons of gold, I can't think of anything in particular I'd want to use it for... I'd be more than happy if these peaceful days continued forever."
"Looks like you and George-sama have been pretty close these days. I just hope being distracted doesn't make you even more of a klutz."
"Th, that won't happen."

With a backward glance at this conversation, Genji walked up to the portrait... and looked up at the witch.

"..."

When they saw what Genji was doing, Shannon and Kanon immediately went silent. Genji, who was the head of the servants, the closest in age to Kinzo, and the one whom Kinzo called a friend, probably understood Kinzo's heart better than anyone else. What did he think when he looked at this portrait...? Neither Shannon nor Kanon could tell.

"...Behold the sweetfish river running through my beloved hometown."

Suddenly, Genji started reciting the epitaph. Shannon quickly nodded to show that she was listening, but it wasn't clear whether he was talking to her at all. Genji, his back still to them, continued.

"The Master would not describe Odawara as his beloved hometown."
"...I've heard that he lived far away."
"Th, though we don't know where it was..."

BGM: Lie-alaiaa

Genji turned around and spoke that single word.

"...O, oh, is that so...?"
"I see, so that explains what Krauss-sama always used to say. Remember him talking about how the Master liked areca nuts?"
"...Come to think of it, Krauss-sama said that those were a luxury item, like tobacco, that was popular in Taiwan... So that's why the Master..."

In the half-century before the war, Taiwan was under the rule of Japan. Many Japanese had moved there, seeking a new frontier. Kinzo's family was a branch family of the Ushiromiyas. Apparently, they were only distantly related to the head family, so they were able to form a new life and a new future, without being constrained by the head family in Odawara... Shannon and Kanon nodded their understanding, but they didn't know why Genji had suddenly broached this subject.

"...So, there was a river with sweetfish in it in the Master's hometown in Taiwan, and the key is there?"
"Don't be so stupid. There has to be several rivers with sweetfish in the area."
"W, we don't know that for sure, right...? I don't know where the Master lived in Taiwan, but there might have been only one river there. If so, that must be the place."
"You're too optimistic. There's no way the riddle could be solved that easily."
"...The Master says his magical ceremony will gain more power if more people try to solve the riddle. You must try as well. Everyone has been given the same chance."
"...Y, yes."
"It's not like we have any chance. So stupid..."

Genji spun around. Shannon and Kanon hurried to follow after him. When his footsteps receded and silence returned, a gold butterfly flitted out from among the shadows.

Behold the sweetfish river running through my beloved hometown. In other words, a sweetfish river running through Taiwan...?

"...There are many rivers in Taiwan. Kanon was right. How ridiculous."

...However, the word 'Taiwan' interests me. That taciturn Genji muttered it without anyone asking, but does it actually mean something? Clearly, Genji's saying it has something to do with the epitaph's riddle. It's almost as though that was a hint for solving it...

"...Though I do find it stupid, very well, Genji. Why don't I play along with your farce for a while?"

Taiwan... I have traveled the world these past thousand years, but I know nothing of the place.

"...To counter my ignorance, I shall need a crystallization of knowledge. That which is smoothed out and pressed into many sheets, what is called a book."

Where might I find a book about Taiwan? Kinzo's study is the first place that comes to mind if one is looking for books. But that won't work. The charm on that room prevents me from entering. In that case, the book archive...

The books that don't fit in his usual library are stored in a place called the book archive. Of course, there are countless books just in this place. The archive has everything from valuable books to apparently worthless books, all packed together like an antique shop. There was a golden glint in the keyhole of the archive's door, and a gold butterfly flitted out.

"Stinky as ever, I see. Dust, mold. Yes, the stench of knowledge."

...Well now, how can I find a book on Taiwan amongst all this? The prospect is almost dizzying. However, I realized right away. If I wanted to quickly find out about Taiwanese rivers, I didn't want a book on Taiwan.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
For a second there I thought Genji was just gonna super-transparently solve it for them.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Huh. So it's starting to look like the thread was on the right track. But at this point, does solving the epitaph do anything? Unless there's a timeline where Battler doesn't gently caress everything up, most, if not the entire family, is going to die.

Man, gently caress Kinzo.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Prof, you used the wrong Beato portrait (hair up) at the end of the Maria scene.

So Yasu uses different voices for each persona (see: how Maria tells people apart) so Genji is standing there listening to this kid carry on a two-part conversation with themself and he thinks "You know what this person needs? Hints to the location of a giant pile of gold."

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

bman in 2288 posted:

Huh. So it's starting to look like the thread was on the right track. But at this point, does solving the epitaph do anything? Unless there's a timeline where Battler doesn't gently caress everything up, most, if not the entire family, is going to die.

Man, gently caress Kinzo.

Kinzo's still alive at this point. So when Yasu solves the riddle, she's going to meet with Kinzo, and presumably that lays some of the basis for the crime later on.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

Prof, you used the wrong Beato portrait (hair up) at the end of the Maria scene.

So Yasu uses different voices for each persona (see: how Maria tells people apart) so Genji is standing there listening to this kid carry on a two-part conversation with themself and he thinks "You know what this person needs? Hints to the location of a giant pile of gold."
Can we take this scene to have actually happened? For example, last update, there was a scene where Gohda, Kumasawa, Shannon, and Kanon were all together, but Gohda can't be in on it if he only joined recently.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ZiegeDame posted:

Well, Shannon is definitely hearing Kanon (or vice versa) but I don't think they were actually talking out loud to each other. Remember, in order for this mystery to make sense at all, you have to have somebody who was so adept at hiding all of their hidden sides for multiple years, someone who maintained such a trusted position that they had the opportunity to commit their massacre at all. That's not just a talented individual... that right there is a genius. And that just makes it all the sadder that they were driven to murder and never got off the island to exercise their considerable talents in a more healthy direction. (I mean, her powwows with Maria show considerable creativity on both of their parts, Maria's in particular is so detailed it might as well be a children's book she read about her Sakutarou and all his friends playing together... even if the way she bullies Sakutarou is just a reminder of how the abuse of Rosa is affecting her.)

...I've made myself sad again. This story is sad. :smith:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
:derp::derp::derp:

oh my gahhhhhhhhhh

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Can we take this scene to have actually happened? For example, last update, there was a scene where Gohda, Kumasawa, Shannon, and Kanon were all together, but Gohda can't be in on it if he only joined recently.

Read that conversation again, only skip over all of Kanon's lines. Conversations still makes perfect sense. Then do the same with this conversation with Genji, and it doesn't work so well. There's a part that goes Genji-Kanon-Genji.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bman in 2288 posted:

Welcome back to not being in immediate danger.

It's kinda nice here.

Hey thank you, and I agree! :)

ZiegeDame posted:

Read that conversation again, only skip over all of Kanon's lines. Conversations still makes perfect sense. Then do the same with this conversation with Genji, and it doesn't work so well. There's a part that goes Genji-Kanon-Genji.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only who's been reading over these past few updates by skipping over Kanon's lines, but I do disagree with you. The update before this current one had the conversation with Kanon-Gohda-Kumasawa-et all make sense with Kanon not actually being there. In fact, it even makes sense if you take out Shannon as well. For that to be the case, I'm imagining Yasu just being a silent protagonist as everyone else talks around them. For this current update, it's possible to do the same once again. It becomes Genji talking outloud, trying to stir up a fire in Yasu to solve the epitaph. The part where he says "...And?" could be construed as Genji being exasperated followed by saddened at Yasu being silent, not externally showing an ounce of desire (aka DESIRE) to do so.

Even though I'm proposing that it's possible to skip over Shannon and Kanon's lines, and make Yasu a silent protagonist entirely these past couple of updates, I'm not too sure of it. There are some parts of this story that necessitate Shannon coming out as a 'main face' for everybody to see, but when it's Shannon and Kanon talking to each other, it can be a signal that Yasu is not talking at all. Shannon and Kanon are pretty much :wal: and :stat: in that case to whatever is going on. It's a theory that I entertain regardless.

Lastly,

quote:

"...To counter my ignorance, I shall need a crystallization of knowledge. That which is smoothed out and pressed into many sheets, what is called a book."

Battler: A book?
Beatrice, an intellectual: A crystallization of knowledge which is smoothed out and pressed into many sheets.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Hmm...looking at it, there HAS to be some interaction between Genji and Shannon/Kanon. You can't remove either of them for this scene, as there are parts where Genji riffs off what one of them says. So really, if we accept this scene as having happened in truth, we to some degree have to accept that Genji knew about and accepted the whole Shannon/Kanon split personality deal.

Looks like the thread was right regarding the truth of the epitaph so far, but I still think there had to have been some physical component to it. We know from 5 that there was a path that had to be followed by repeating the instructions again, and we know from the end of 6 that Featherine thought that you had to be physically on the island for it to be completed. Obviously, the second is of dubious validity, but the first still holds true.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What was the Japanese word that was localized to "vegeta-lion"?

Not pertinent to any mysteries, I'm just curious.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

"In that case, I would be honored to receive a name as well. Being nothing more than the head furniture lacks flavor, does it not?"
"Maria. I need a name for this guy too. He is also a great demon, and serves as my butler. He is a subordinate whom I can trust."
"Uu-... Ronove, I guess. The 27th ranked of the great demons...! It's said he'll give you reliable underlings!"
"My, what a coincidence. The family name of my double, Genji, is Ronoue."
"Hoh, that truly is a coincidence! I see, it seems this is the best possible name for you. Very well, you shall now be known as Ronove...!"

And it's little details like this that sometimes make me doubt the mundane explanation.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Kytrarewn posted:

What was the Japanese word that was localized to "vegeta-lion"?

Not pertinent to any mysteries, I'm just curious.

草食らいおん "soushoku raion", herbivore lion

raion is curiously not written in katakana like loan words usually would be, but in hiragana. Since Maria's lines have used katakana for raion before, I assume the intended effect in using hiragana here was to make it look more like a compound word, in which case the translation pun makes perfect sense. Also, using hiragana for loan words can seem childish.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

witchcore ricepunk posted:

I'm still reading, but I don't have a lot to say right now—not like I used to, it seems. This chapter has hit close to home in a lot of ways, on an emotional level, and what felt like projection in the past is feeling more and more like, I dunno, like it's a "there but for the grace of god go I" type of situation.

One thing that's really hard about Umineko is the inability to talk about its central figure without spoiling a really good mystery. Yasu's a brilliant, authentic character, and their confession is handled with what I consider unusual sensitivity and care for the medium and the genre. And you can't say a word about them when recommending the story, as Yasu Is The Culprit. There are a ton of people I know who would love this story, if they could be told that this well-told exploration of identity, postmodernism, and genre was hiding behind all those boob jokes Battler tells about his elementary-school-aged cousin.

It also probably won't be a surprise to y'all at this point that lots of #witchchat folks strongly identify with parts of Yasu's narrative, and more than one witch has reported spending most of the back half of EP7 crying, including a few who were slowly reading it in Japanese to avoid waiting for a translation. "There but for the grace of god go I" is a good way to put it, WCRP, and I think many of the witches reading the thread feel the same. I certainly do.

resurgam40 posted:

...I've made myself sad again. This story is sad. :smith:

FWIW, I wouldn't call it sad, but sublime, befitting such a gothic text. R07's brilliant presentation of Yasu's tragedy helps to really raise EP7 above the other episodes in terms of literary merit, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm someone who thinks the series as a whole should be considered a valuable part of the postmodern canon (aforementioned boob jokes aside). It really is heartbreaking, but it breaks your heart and takes your breath away with the beauty of its construction at the same time, which separates it from a lot of tragic VNs.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'll admit it, Yasu being surrounded by well-meaning but horrifically ineffective people, kinda hits close to home. But I'm still going to be an rear end in a top hat about it, because the poo poo that happened to me broke me, and I'm no longer able to relate to most people.

Also, you know, it's just a story about love, and how incompetent people experience it. That has nothing to do with me at all. No, sir.

Ugh, the only thing that I can muster right now is a "gently caress Kinzo", but that's it. I'm even out of sarcasm right now.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I dunno, I guess the big thing keeping me from really getting into this part is I keep waiting for that last little twist that resolves the apparent contradiction in episodes 5&6. Possibly also that, while I understand the concept on an intellectual level, I have no first-hand experience with the idea of being a different person in different situations, or however you want to put it. I personally had a stronger emotional resonance with Ange's story in episode 4.

The strongest emotional response this story has elicited can best be described as "Oh sweetie, no" during The Battler Rationalizations.

You see, Yasu's mistake was deluding themself into thinking that anyone would actually love them in the first place :smith:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

rko posted:

One thing that's really hard about Umineko is the inability to talk about its central figure without spoiling a really good mystery. Yasu's a brilliant, authentic character, and their confession is handled with what I consider unusual sensitivity and care for the medium and the genre. And you can't say a word about them when recommending the story, as Yasu Is The Culprit. There are a ton of people I know who would love this story, if they could be told that this well-told exploration of identity, postmodernism, and genre was hiding behind all those boob jokes Battler tells about his elementary-school-aged cousin.

It also probably won't be a surprise to y'all at this point that lots of #witchchat folks strongly identify with parts of Yasu's narrative, and more than one witch has reported spending most of the back half of EP7 crying, including a few who were slowly reading it in Japanese to avoid waiting for a translation. "There but for the grace of god go I" is a good way to put it, WCRP, and I think many of the witches reading the thread feel the same. I certainly do.

I definitely can say that it's incredibly hard to recommend the story, especially given how long it is. So I've mainly resorted to buying the manga and lending it out with a "trust me, you'll enjoy this". Turns out if they're reading the manga over time, they don't realize quite how long it is (though I think someone's catching on), letting them just enjoy it.

I'm not sure exactly how well I can relate to Yasu, though, as I ended up dealing with things in a very different fashion. Though I can relate to the whole "dealing with this is a trial that is required to get what I want" section, I ended up becoming a lot closer to Erika, and I suppose to some degree Bernkastel. "I no longer have to be bothered by words that aren't in red", indeed.

So you see, it just wouldn't feel right if I simply accepted everything, without attempting to reveal all the layers of information that surround it.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's a beautiful story of broken people in a broken world and their wishes and desires. It's a soap opera and a tale of caution, and I've loved it even when I've been frustrated with it. I'm looking forward to creating similar tales in my gaming group when my copy of the Bluebeard's Bride game comes in.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ZiegeDame posted:

Possibly also that, while I understand the concept on an intellectual level, I have no first-hand experience with the idea of being a different person in different situations, or however you want to put it.

Ever roleplayed? It's like that, just taken to an unhealthy coping-mechanism degree. In a modern-day American AU, Mariage Sorciere would be a weekly (or monthly, or whatever) D&D group Maria and Yasu have together.

And if that bubble is popped, well... there's a Jack Chick tract about that. :v:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

Ever roleplayed? It's like that, just taken to an unhealthy coping-mechanism degree. In a modern-day American AU, Mariage Sorciere would be a weekly (or monthly, or whatever) D&D group Maria and Yasu have together.

And if that bubble is popped, well... there's a Jack Chick tract about that. :v:

Kept thinking back to that tract all through this chapter.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ZiegeDame posted:

You see, Yasu's mistake was deluding themself into thinking that anyone would actually love them in the first place :smith:

I've been thinking about this a lot since this story started, and I don't think that's it. The mistake is in living in a fantasy world. It helped them, in some ways, deal with the crap life threw at them... but ultimately, retreating from reality that way isn't going to work, because reality has a way of intruding. No matter how many layers deep you try to wrap yourself, it's going to get in eventually. What does Yasu's life look like if they really did give up on Battler when he left, instead of imagining that he would come back on a white horse? What if they took the money they saved up and left the island? What if they just decided to be Shannon and not all these other people, too? (Although I guess it's hard to say how intentional that is.) What if they tried to make friends with some of the other servants instead of pranking them to make them believe in witches? Despite the extremity of their situation, I think it's a relatable story, because most of us have been lost like this at some point in our lives. And you can't rely on magic or Battler or God to save you; you ultimately have to do it yourself, hopefully with the help of the people around you if you've got any, and it's scary to deal with reality, and it hurts, but if you don't do it you're just going to stay lost. Yasu got dealt a poo poo hand, no question about it, but the story has already shown us a few chances they missed, and I expect to see some more.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Kept thinking back to that tract all through this chapter.

Deep in our hearts, don't we all just want to be Debbie?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yasu got dealt a poo poo hand, no question about it,

Actually, let's question this. Discounting the hosed up circumstances of their birth and the whole cliff thing, neither of which they would remember, how was Yasu's situation worse than any other orphan servant? And how much of it is Genji's fault?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ZiegeDame posted:

Actually, let's question this. Discounting the hosed up circumstances of their birth and the whole cliff thing, neither of which they would remember, how was Yasu's situation worse than any other orphan servant? And how much of it is Genji's fault?

Good question. I'd put the list as:

1) Lingering physical symptoms from the cliff thing. I suspect that Yasu is not physically healthy; we've already been given a hint that, in the Kanon persona, they are shorter and slighter than they ought to be based on their age. That might be all there is to it, but just being weaker than everyone your age can be very tough; just getting tired a little bit quicker can cut you out of a lot of social stuff. That one isn't Genji's fault, that's all down to the terrible murderess Natsuhi.
2) Being socially out of place due to starting out younger than anyone else did, and then being around longer than everyone else, without any kind of period where they were in the same cohort as other servants. That's terribly isolating. It's also Genji's fault.
3) Having to live as a servant in a house that they should have been living in as a family member, or, really, being told they had no family when they really did have one. That's Genji's fault too. We know why he did it, and there's at least part of a noble intention there, but it doesn't change the fact that this is pretty lovely for Yasu. Does this make it worse than other orphan servants? Not exactly, but it is a unique circumstance in which their hand is pretty lovely.
4) Untreated mental illness. Regardless of how much control Yasu has over their various personae (and I suspect it's quite a lot), the sorts of experiences they describe here are decidedly abnormal. Hard to say if this is Genji's fault. He's not observing closely enough to notice, and even if he were, what kind of treatment options are available?

I think you could slice it a bunch of different ways, though. I'm curious what other people think about this one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

On that note of severe social isolation.

There's been studies done in more unethical times that children who did not get any kind of nuturing touch or socialization end up worse off than children got plenty of it, even if they weren't abused and given all the necessities to thrive (this is why Neglect is a crime).

Yasu's only friend on the island is Jessica, and Natsuhi tried to discourage that friendship, they never got along with the other servants during the critical stages of childhood development. None of the adults show them any sort of affection either, so Yasu had to turn to imaginary friends to fill that void.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
It's hard to lay all the blame at Genji's feet. He picked up a terrible burden when his master decided to continually make the absolute worst choices over and over.

Ya sure exists because Kinzo betrayed his wife and kept a mistress prisoner on this island. He got her pregnant and then, after she died, deluded himself into thinking that their daughter was Beatrice reborn. Then he raped his illegitimate, secret daughter whom he also imprisoned, isolated, and brainwashed. Rosa helped Beatrice 2 out of her confinement and they both paid a terrible price. Rosa became a nervous wreck and hey, Beatrice 2 died. We got to see her reflected as Battler's piece. What kind of abuse did she suffer when she failed to act her part as Beatrice 1?

Then Kinzo tried to foist off this poor, inbred baby onto his daughter-in-law to legitimize the infant as his heir. He holds Natsuhi and his son in contempt. When Natsuhi unequivocally rejected, killing a servant and nearly the child, too, Genji stepped in and did what's become second nature. Cleaning up Kinzo's messes.

Genji must want to make this family whole and ensure the child is cared for, but he also wants to make sure Kinzo's doesn't pretend that Yasu is Beatrice and molest another one of his kids. The position as servant gives the kid some social status, gainful employment and education, and perhaps the opportunity to eventually be integrated into the Ushiromiya family, potentially without revealing the full extent of Kinzo's awful crimes. Lying about Yasu's age protects the kid from Kinzo's through deceit and helps explain why they are smaller and less developed than their yearmates.

Everything comes down to this wishful thinking that the Ushiromiyas can be healed and Kinzo's can be saved. But no one, no deeds can wash the blood from Kinzo's hands. Genji couldn't fix this poo poo. The only the person who could set this world straight is dead before the tale begins. He's also the person who has at every juncture chosen to only satisfy his own base desires.

This sordid tale may redeem Yasu through showing why they murdered their blood kin, but nothing will ever redeem the man who made Yasu.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

What if they tried to make friends with some of the other servants instead of pranking them to make them believe in witches?
Yasu is friends with Manon.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Let's not discount the fact that somehow Yasu learned about the circumstances of their birth. At this point in the story, Yasu is trying to deal with everything they're struggling with, and failing some, but genuinely trying to do better. Their coping mechanisms are unhealthy but they're still at a point where things could have gone differently, I think. but learning that they're the product of rape? Learning that they're the product of incestuous rape and that their mother is also their half-sister? Learning that their mother was probably younger than Yasu is at the time of the massacre when she died trying to escape? Learning that all three people they considers... love interests, for lack of a better term, are their cousins and niece/nephews, via the same revelation that tells Yasu that they're a product of horrific incest?

Given their low self-esteem, I feel like Yasu would interpret 'the circumstances that lead to my birth were horrific and wrong and should not have happened' as 'I am horrific and wrong and should never have been born'. Maybe that's a reason why 'thank you for being born' is the title of the song that plays at particularly emotional moments. Because, once they learn the circumstances of their birth, I think they want someone to tell them that it's not only okay for them to have been born, but that the fact that they were born and exist in this world is something that makes someone, anyone, happy.

EDIT: What I'm saying is that I think sometimes the moral thing is not not telling someone the horrible circumstances of their conception and if you really want to do that please just don't dump that on someone all at once, oh my god, why would you do that?

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 1, 2017

• Locked thread