Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

It seems pretty clear that Coop himself is going back to live with them. I think he's grown to love them and he clearly enjoys sex with Janey-E. Saying he'll send a new tulpa to live with them would be completely against his character. It ain't happening.

Coop is the husband and father the Joneses deserve and he knows that.

I dunno, he stayed with them for a week.

I'm really quite excited for this finale, anything could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Shibawanko posted:

American fiction writers have this tendency to make everything about the whole country, like whatever they're writing about is tied to some kind of unique national spirit that is embodied in everything, mythologising their own history as uniquely good or uniquely evil. In the first two seasons that wasn't there yet, the Black Lodge was something that seemed to precede the United States as a country and just kind of existed in a specific forest somewhere for some reason, i preferred it that way. Episode 8 of this season made it seem like Bob exists because of some great American original sin in the a-bomb, which felt like too much of a cliche.

That said it's fun to watch Twin Peaks as a foreigner because of how exotic it feels. New York or Las Vegas are common settings on TV and I kind of know what they're like, but the American northwest pretty much exists in my imagination as Twin Peaks. I've never been to a diner and I don't know what cherry pie even tastes like (apple pie but with cherries?) but I want to try it some day. The opening shots of the great northern and that waterfall set to the theme song really set a certain local mood and I felt going to Las Vegas kind of hosed that up a bit. The characters from that part of the story are fun, I just don't care for the change in location.

Imagine watching a show that takes place in China. Would you rather have it take place in Hong Kong like so many movies, or in the rear end end of Xinjiang or Inner Mongolia or something for a change?

I would bet that the majority of Americans in this thread haven't been to the rural areas of Washington where Twin Peaks exists. There's diners like the RR in small towns all around the country, but it's such a vast space that you can't say that all of them are the same. I've live most of my life in Chicago and the suburbs, but I did do some travel for work at one point and spent some time in rural parts of Maine, which I imagine is sort of similar, but I bet people who live in rural Washington and rural Maine would have huge differences.

I'd love to see something like this, or even not the same thing at all, but involving areas of China that I'm sure most people in the US and Europe have no idea even exist.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

American fiction writers have this tendency to make everything about the whole country, like whatever they're writing about is tied to some kind of unique national spirit that is embodied in everything, mythologising their own history as uniquely good or uniquely evil. In the first two seasons that wasn't there yet, the Black Lodge was something that seemed to precede the United States as a country and just kind of existed in a specific forest somewhere for some reason, i preferred it that way. Episode 8 of this season made it seem like Bob exists because of some great American original sin in the a-bomb, which felt like too much of a cliche.

That said it's fun to watch Twin Peaks as a foreigner because of how exotic it feels. New York or Las Vegas are common settings on TV and I kind of know what they're like, but the American northwest pretty much exists in my imagination as Twin Peaks. I've never been to a diner and I don't know what cherry pie even tastes like (apple pie but with cherries?) but I want to try it some day. The opening shots of the great northern and that waterfall set to the theme song really set a certain local mood and I felt going to Las Vegas kind of hosed that up a bit. The characters from that part of the story are fun, I just don't care for the change in location.

Imagine watching a show that takes place in China. Would you rather have it take place in Hong Kong like so many movies, or in the rear end end of Xinjiang or Inner Mongolia or something for a change?

The expansion of the united states over really 200 years to cover the two coasts and in between creates an interesting web of connectivity and unique qualities that I don't think can be separated, they always settled the land, often killed to get it, and many did it with a sense of national unity. Many towns across the country have the same names because often the goal was to just set up the same thing further away from the coast. A story about a small town in america is a story about american's trying to create something like what is depicted as the atomic family. 1950's atomic era america is the real texture of the series (I feel).

That aside the area in Washington where Twin Peaks is supposed to roughly be is also about where the uranium for the Trinity bomb was mined from, and that caused some problems in the area at the time. The Midnite Mines in the 1950's caused displacement of native americans from their reservation as the uranium was under it. Radiation has been detected in multiple locations throughout the reservation. Also domestic supply for uranium became the norm on the mid 50's, whereas before the war it was taken from international sources. So we began mining more of our own land and displacing people to make, among other things, atomic weapons. Pretty evil imo.

I don't think Twin Peaks has been decentered from the story, part of the very ground near the town was transfigured into an incredible weapon. I don't think the link leading back to Twin Peaks has truely been shown yet.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 31, 2017

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Escobarbarian posted:

I also love this thread :) it's caused me no end of frustration of times for sure - and I'm sure I've done the same to other posters - but this is very likely the first time in my years here that I've actually kept up with a show's thread through an entire season, without having days or weeks where I totally ignore it. You go on reddit or welcometotwinpeaks.com or whatever and the discussion is kind of crap, and despite the derails and whatnot the overall quality of the discussion in this thread has been much higher. I'm gonna miss talking TP with you guys.

As long as we're on a hug fest, gotta give my thumbs up on your podcast. I've not agreed with all your ideas, and sometimes been "eeeehhh" about your attitudes to other posters and people's ideas in this thread. But I've been always excited to hear you and Bing's impressions of each episode. Aside from this thread, I've been watching this season on my own because the friends I have who are interested haven't seen Season 1 or 2 and I'm not going to throw them into this right away. So the podcast has been like a catch-up with friends who are fans.
Once Season 3 is done I'm getting a bunch of people who have been wanting to see Twin Peaks together to watch from the PIlot to the end of Season 3 I really cannot wait to re-watch it all vicariously through them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm already planning a long weekend where I get a bunch of people together and we watch season 3 start to finish, but I'm gonna have to get some of them to watch 1 and 2 first.

We might need three days to pull it off. Breaks go after episodes 8 and 14 cause those are gonna be the ones that gently caress with people the most.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I can't remember much about the original. Did audrey dance to that song back then too? That felt extremely like a call back.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Krinkle posted:

I can't remember much about the original. Did audrey dance to that song back then too? That felt extremely like a call back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-XZsM-KV_o
Isn't it too dreamy?

Also I'm realizing that this was a song that she put on in the Jukebox, like they have some weird jazzy Angelo Badlamente music along side doo wop and such

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

as someone who's involved with program and case management right now, I wanna throw in a late agreement that Lynch definitely could of benefited from a strong editor and even a little suit oversight. I really enjoy picking apart film/TV as a collaborative effort so when it seems Frost meandered off at some point after more episodes got ordered, it explains a lot about season 3 and my dislikes.

Also, I have a theory that the buckets of product placement are because Lynch wanted more episodes and more money, so he had to compromise after the whole debacle when he left production briefly.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

When you have a creator (especially when it's the vision of a single or couple of people) given total control over a project sometimes you end up with Twin Peaks the return but the probability of the project becoming a Nothing But Trouble situation goes up by a thousand percent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r-fur3Zr0

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Zmej posted:

as someone who's involved with program and case management right now, I wanna throw in a late agreement that Lynch definitely could of benefited from a strong editor and even a little suit oversight. I really enjoy picking apart film/TV as a collaborative effort so when it seems Frost meandered off at some point after more episodes got ordered, it explains a lot about season 3 and my dislikes.

Also, I have a theory that the buckets of product placement are because Lynch wanted more episodes and more money, so he had to compromise after the whole debacle when he left production briefly.

I can't say I know that much about it, but would they really get compensation for basic placement? I can't think of anything that's been called out in-scene. Or maybe product donations solicited from the advertisers reduced the production costs enough?

*edit from the future*

e: wow i cant believe the coordinates led to a car dealership where there's 0% APR for 25 years, meanwhile...

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 31, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Peacoffee posted:

The expansion of the united states over really 200 years to cover the two coasts and in between creates an interesting web of connectivity and unique qualities that I don't think can be separated, they always settled the land, often killed to get it, and many did it with a sense of national unity. Many towns across the country have the same names because often the goal was to just set up the same thing further away from the coast. A story about a small town in america is a story about american's trying to create something like what is depicted as the atomic family. 1950's atomic era america is the real texture of the series (I feel).

That aside the area in Washington where Twin Peaks is supposed to roughly be is also about where the uranium for the Trinity bomb was mined from, and that caused some problems in the area at the time. The Midnite Mines in the 1950's caused displacement of native americans from their reservation as the uranium was under it. Radiation has been detected in multiple locations throughout the reservation. Also domestic supply for uranium became the norm on the mid 50's, whereas before the war it was taken from international sources. So we began mining more of our own land and displacing people to make, among other things, atomic weapons. Pretty evil imo.

I don't think Twin Peaks has been decentered from the story, part of the very ground near the town was transfigured into an incredible weapon. I don't think the link leading back to Twin Peaks has truely been shown yet.

I didn't know that second part, that's interesting and makes some sense. Maybe the symbol on top of the mountain in Hawk's drawing is supposed to be some uranium deposit or mine or something?

Right now I'm reading Kafka on the Shore by Murakami, I get the feeling he drew a lot from Twin Peaks. Murakami is an American literature-inspired magical realist writer, he also likes to focus on back of beyond rural areas where supernatural stuff happens, most of the more enjoyable parts of his stories take place on like the forest in Shikoku or on the north shore of Hokkaido. The mountains in Hokkaido are the most Twin Peaks-looking place I ever visited, just endless pine trees and waterfalls, it's spooky there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Peacoffee posted:

That honestly seems like it might be the key to tying the whole backstory together. Spirits known to native americans live in an area and do their thing, until their home soil gets turned into a weapon of mass destruction, and they respond by sending murder spirits and frogroaches. Might also hint at why the "mother" is named the Experiment. drat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't really noticed any product placement. I guess maybe the Skype thing?

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
As someone who's been following the thread but not posted, I gotta say I love reading the thread and I'm gonna miss it. I especially love reading the reactions right after I'm done watching an episode. Great thread, incredible show, so excited for the finale.

Also, maybe Andy's Rolex was product placement? They didn't actually call it out by name, though...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol I just realised if you say Diane and reverse it it sounds an awful lot like Naido

Even the spelling...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I haven't really noticed any product placement. I guess maybe the Skype thing?

Uh, Cheetos?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FlavoFibe posted:

As someone who's been following the thread but not posted, I gotta say I love reading the thread and I'm gonna miss it. I especially love reading the reactions right after I'm done watching an episode. Great thread, incredible show, so excited for the finale.

Also, maybe Andy's Rolex was product placement? They didn't actually call it out by name, though...

I haven't really noticed much product placement myself, except Skype i guess, but product placement doesn't mean having Cooper go "Mmm, that's some drat fine Gatorade Energy Drink" *holds up gatorade.* Companies often pay just to have their products visible on screen and used as props. Apple does it a lot; very often people in shows and movies will use a Mac, even though most people don't have one. I think Apple has around 10% of the computer market.

vvv: yeah, car companies are another good example.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 31, 2017

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm gonna miss the hell out of this thread and just the comforting awesomeness of a summer where Twin Peaks is on every weekend. Too awesome. I really love that they timed out the airing of the episodes such that there was only a single, perfectly timed one-week break after Episode 8, and otherwise this series was set to run continuously with the premiere exactly on Memorial Day Weekend and the Finale exactly on Labor Day Weekend.

I like this idea of the uranium being used for the Trinity Tests coming from the Pacific Northwest. Whether it's actually true or not they should make it true within the mythos of the show because it does seem to sort of work perfectly.

Also, quick question: What's everyone favorite creepy recurring background noise in Lynch's sound design? For me it's not contest and it's definitely that heavy, scratching, Geiger counter sound that's often associated with Woodsmen, and which we briefly heard in the last episode at the very end when Audrey woke up in the white room. That sound scares the poo poo out of me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

They're hardly presented in a positive light, although that would make it super funny if Cheetos did pay for their usage.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I'm starting to rewatch season 3 again for the finale on Sunday and the Wally Brando scene still owns bones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

I'm starting to rewatch season 3 again for the finale on Sunday and the Wally Brando scene still owns bones.

It's so good. SO funny

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

And More posted:

Hey, Kaworu isn't the only one who is allowed to make kooky predictions. :colbert:

I mean, that would be a bit weird, but surely it wouldn't contradict my argument?

no im saying yours is a good theory that fits and it would be hilarious if the naido comes into play too because of twitter's woke reactions.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I can't wait for next season's thread. :allears:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Part of me still simply cannot wrap my mind around the fact that this season of television (Twin Peaks: The Return) actually exists AT ALL.

I really cannot think of anything even remotely comparable to what Lynch did - returning to the very same actors and characters, doing no recasting whatsoever, and most of all having the passage of time in show-years be coeval to the passage of time in the real world-years.

I really did not not in my wildest imagination think that this would seriously get made. It's really like one of those dream-projects you theorize about when stoned with your friends.

"Hey man, wouldn't it be like... totally trippy and rad if Lynch actually brought Twin Peaks back after a quarter of a century and like... had the exact same characters but aged, and do the same trippy poo poo but like update it. Dude that would be so awesome. *burble burble* *cough cough*"

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

kaworu posted:

Also, quick question: What's everyone favorite creepy recurring background noise in Lynch's sound design? For me it's not contest and it's definitely that heavy, scratching, Geiger counter sound that's often associated with Woodsmen, and which we briefly heard in the last episode at the very end when Audrey woke up in the white room. That sound scares the poo poo out of me.
I love that noise too, it's so ominous and dangerous sounding. I think my all time favorite Twin Peaks noise is the backwards strings from FWWM, last heard in the grocery store scene with Sarah this season. I heard that sound in my nightmares during a fever dream after I first watched FWWM.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Whatever the almost whining, warble shriek that plays when Jumping Man appears. Its like nails on a soul

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i think my favorite recurring background noise is, hmm, excuse me, but it has to be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nj8jvIA7ds

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

kaworu posted:

I'm gonna miss the hell out of this thread and just the comforting awesomeness of a summer where Twin Peaks is on every weekend. Too awesome. I really love that they timed out the airing of the episodes such that there was only a single, perfectly timed one-week break after Episode 8, and otherwise this series was set to run continuously with the premiere exactly on Memorial Day Weekend and the Finale exactly on Labor Day Weekend.

I like this idea of the uranium being used for the Trinity Tests coming from the Pacific Northwest. Whether it's actually true or not they should make it true within the mythos of the show because it does seem to sort of work perfectly.

I do not remember where I got the info on trinity from Washington. I read it but cant place it now. The uranium thing in Washington part...well, according to a 1957 state division of mines and geology paper, every county in the state had been excavated for uranium by date published, with the largest density of properties where uranium was the principle value being located in the northwest portion of the state, about 16 or 17 sites.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 31, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Escobarbarian posted:

They're hardly presented in a positive light, although that would make it super funny if Cheetos did pay for their usage.

Were those even Cheetos? The bag on the dashboard in this last episode was kind of out of focus and I couldn't make out the name, but it looked pretty clearly to me to be some kind of genericized snack. There was a goofy cartoon human dude on it or something.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I watched 5 minutes of the lovely "Lethal Weapon" series on Fox and a good 2 minutes of it was a goddamn Ford commercial. Closeup of the Merc Star in episode 1, 3 months ago, is a product placement problem to some of you?

I dig cars so I tend to notice them in shows and movies. There are some shows where every branded car is a certain brand and all other cars are unbranded. THAT'S product placement. That screen shot of the Mercedes is from Episode 1. He has since drove worse and worse vehicles than that...to me it is showing entropy bleeding over in all aspects of Mr. C's "life". Or not. It's Twin Peaks so who loving knows. But I am solidly in the camp of whatever product placement has been paid for has been pretty subtle and unobtrusive (even the Skype, which even if it WAS PP, it is pretty much the default video conferencing app for people who don't know any better. Like a small town sheriff who is sitting in a room by himself looking longingly at a jay peg of a fish.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Were those even Cheetos? The bag on the dashboard in this last episode was kind of out of focus and I couldn't make out the name, but it looked pretty clearly to me to be some kind of genericized snack. There was a goofy cartoon human dude on it or something.

They were either Cheetos or a Cheetos knockoff, I am FAIRLY sure. Any difference has to be purely academic and pointless here because we were meant to visually read them as Cheetos. Evil Coop took a bag to eat, too.

To be honest, I always read Chantal and Evil Coop eating "cheetos" specifically all the time as a comment on it being like "black lodge snack food" - that is to say, Cheetos are really just ground-up and heavily processed corn sprinkled with powder. I feel like we saw Chantal eating Fritos or something similar - which is another example of junk food made of CORN.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, or all that important. Just that it makes sense that Evil Coop and his inner circle would only be eating snack food made of corn.

But then Chantal does love Wendys, too, and that's just good old meat, potatoes, and carbs for the most part so who knows.

edit: the fish jpg make sense if you remember that Frank was out fishing at the start of the season and would probably spend the rest of his life out fishing (like Doc Hayward :unsmith:) if he had a choice in the matter. I view Frank and fish.jpg as making sense if you view him as the avid angler that he is, studying the form of the trout and trying to perhaps unlock some sort of latent wisdom.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 31, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flyinglemur posted:

I watched 5 minutes of the lovely "Lethal Weapon" series on Fox and a good 2 minutes of it was a goddamn Ford commercial. Closeup of the Merc Star in episode 1, 3 months ago, is a product placement problem to some of you?

I dig cars so I tend to notice them in shows and movies. There are some shows where every branded car is a certain brand and all other cars are unbranded. THAT'S product placement. That screen shot of the Mercedes is from Episode 1. He has since drove worse and worse vehicles than that...to me it is showing entropy bleeding over in all aspects of Mr. C's "life". Or not. It's Twin Peaks so who loving knows. But I am solidly in the camp of whatever product placement has been paid for has been pretty subtle and unobtrusive (even the Skype, which even if it WAS PP, it is pretty much the default video conferencing app for people who don't know any better. Like a small town sheriff who is sitting in a room by himself looking longingly at a jay peg of a fish.

It's really hard to tell sometimes. That M4 was an eye-catching piece of set dressing and a good contribution to the plot, but the camera pointedly avoided looking at the trunklid badge.

And Apple actually does a lot less of its own marketing-driven product placement than people think. Hollywood just loves to use their products because they telegraph "modern technology". Also because they're a lot more prevalent in daily life than that "10%" number suggests (especially among college students and the like).

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, looks like some generic brand:

So who's gonna do the work to track down which off-brand Cheetos these are?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I think the fact that Evil Coop's BIG BLACK TRUCK is so totally badass and such a great "Evil-Coop-Mobile" ever since he got it and has impressed the hell out of me, yet I cannot recall what make or model of the truck whatsoever despite watching all the episodes closely, kinda speaks volumes.

But then, I'm not really much of a truck guy and I don't know which truck is which by sight. But that Big Black Truck is almost like a part of the show and Evil Coop's personality, especially with the emphasis Lynch puts on cars. We could have easily seen a bigass FORD or CHEVROLET or JEEP or whatever logo on the truck flashed even once (as far as I've noticed) makes the show seem fairly anti-product-placement.

Like, Diane smokes American Spirit Yellows, but that's partially because Yellow is like "one of her colors" and also because it's the brand Lynch himself smokes. I mean, I don't know if it's a product placement but I can imagine they sent Lynch a gift basked filled with cartons of AS Yellows. And maybe that was his plan along.. And if so, what the hell's wrong with that?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cromulent posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a fake package they printed up - that sort of thing isn't really too tough to do and you don't step on anyone's toes that way. Lots of movies just make up brands. I wonder whose job it was to procure and provide "fake" Cheetos bags... The Producer's?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
http://fictionalcompanies.wikia.com/wiki/Let%27s_Potato_Chips

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

kaworu posted:

I think the fact that Evil Coop's BIG BLACK TRUCK is so totally badass and such a great "Evil-Coop-Mobile" ever since he got it and has impressed the hell out of me, yet I cannot recall what make or model of the truck whatsoever despite watching all the episodes closely, kinda speaks volumes.

But then, I'm not really much of a truck guy and I don't know which truck is which by sight. But that Big Black Truck is almost like a part of the show and Evil Coop's personality, especially with the emphasis Lynch puts on cars. We could have easily seen a bigass FORD or CHEVROLET or JEEP or whatever logo on the truck flashed even once (as far as I've noticed) makes the show seem fairly anti-product-placement.

Like, Diane smokes American Spirit Yellows, but that's partially because Yellow is like "one of her colors" and also because it's the brand Lynch himself smokes. I mean, I don't know if it's a product placement but I can imagine they sent Lynch a gift basked filled with cartons of AS Yellows. And maybe that was his plan along.. And if so, what the hell's wrong with that?

I'm pretty sure it's a early 1980s Chevy Silverado or Sierra Trim Series of the C/K

I'm really bad at identifying Chevies though and I don't have access to the video right now

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 31, 2017

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Cromulent posted:

Yeah, looks like some generic brand:

Loving that off-brand Bart Simpson mascot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The whole show ends up being product placement for green rubber gloves.