Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

Isn't he also one of the American agents from Delta And The Bannermen?

That sounds likely, but I'm definitely nowhere near that far in my rewwatch. I remember that the candy man from Willy Wonka is one of the bad guys in the McCoy era Dalek episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

As someone who got REALLY into Star Wars when he was 3 and Doctor Who when he was like 20, i always enjoy trying to spot the Star Wars bit part actors.

Except Michael Sheard is cheating since he's been on like 5 times

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a lot of fun if you're trying to do the "don't peek at the IMDB" thing. I remember recognizing the Willy Wonka cand man, the villain from The Last Crusade in The Crusades, and seeing Sara Kingdom and saying "I'm not going to be able to take Bavmorda seriously as a companion!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The real winner of that game is trying to find the costume they both use.

It's a spacesuit back in the Hartnell years. It was a spacey-looking flight suit I believe designed during WWII, that the original Star Wars movies also used.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's either this one

Or this one

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's both IIRC. The top one was Bossk's suit in ESB, bottom was BoShek in ANH (sideburns dude that Obi-Wan talks to before Chewie in the cantina). The original suit is an RAF Windak Pressure Suit.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 28, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It's a lot of fun if you're trying to do the "don't peek at the IMDB" thing. I remember recognizing the Willy Wonka cand man, the villain from The Last Crusade in The Crusades, and seeing Sara Kingdom and saying "I'm not going to be able to take Bavmorda seriously as a companion!"

You mean General Veers from Empire Strikes Back? Also known as Scaroth in "City of Death"?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

You mean General Veers from Empire Strikes Back? Also known as Scaroth in "City of Death"?

Yup! Guy got around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He was also the villain in the most forgettable James Bond movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

And Aragog in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Well, his voice, anyway.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

By "the most forgettable" you surely mean "the one with the most kickin' rad synth-disco soundtrack" :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It had Topol playing Clive Owen (and being awesome, in general), and that incredible mountain climbing scene at the end. And killing "Blofeld" at the beginning. And it's dripping in the Cold War, more so, I think, than any other Bond movie. Hell, I think it's probably my favorite Roger Moore entry.

I think Diamonds are Forever is more forgettable, as it's clear Connery was phoning it in, at that point. I know they went to Vegas, and Blofeld had hair now...that's most of what I can remember. Oh, and Crispin Glover's dad was in it.

I also can't understand the love for Thunderball, but I know I'm in the minority there.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FreezingInferno posted:

By "the most forgettable" you surely mean "the one with the most kickin' rad synth-disco soundtrack" :colbert:

I don't remember the disco on For Your Eyes Only. I remember it in the underwater bits of Spy Who Loved Me though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

It had Topol playing Clive Owen (and being awesome, in general), and that incredible mountain climbing scene at the end. And killing "Blofeld" at the beginning. And it's dripping in the Cold War, more so, I think, than any other Bond movie. Hell, I think it's probably my favorite Roger Moore entry.

It's Roger Moore doing a Timothy Dalton film, which I don't think was a great fit. It's probably better than either of the two Roger Moore movies that followed it (it's probably better than Moonraker actually) but it's not especially memorable compared to either of those.

Fun fact: For Your Eyes Only is one of several times Roger Moore wasn't sure if he'd come back and Broccoli and Salzman were so sure he'd say he wasn't doing it that they screen tested and provisionally cast James Brolin to replace him.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 28, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you're referring to The Living Daylights, you and I will have words, sir. Words.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CobiWann posted:

If you're referring to The Living Daylights, you and I will have words, sir. Words.

He is not. Look above, where we have words about For Your Eyes Only.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

thrawn527 posted:

He is not. Look above, where we have words about For Your Eyes Only.

...yeah, I barely remember anything that one save for the underwater sequence and the jailbait-esque figure skater.

As you were.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CobiWann posted:

...yeah, I barely remember anything that one save for the underwater sequence and the jailbait-esque figure skater.

As you were.

For Your Eyes Only rules.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I remember the high tech computer they used to ID the assassin.

"I said nose, not a banana, Q."

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It's either this one

I'm not sure if it's sad that the meme is about 20 years old now and my first thought on seeing the left picture is "MOVE ZIG".

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It was weird watching Dalek Invasion of Earth and seeing Mr. Rumbold as a post-apocalyptic freedom fighter.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thrawn527 posted:

I think Diamonds are Forever is more forgettable, as it's clear Connery was phoning it in, at that point. I know they went to Vegas, and Blofeld had hair now...that's most of what I can remember. Oh, and Crispin Glover's dad was in it.

It's lucky that most people forget Diamonds are Forever because if they remembered it they'd realise how poo poo it is. People might know the theme but that's about it.

For Your Eyes Only is great though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Dalek Invasion of Earth hasn't really aged well. It feels like it was probably exciting because of Daleks being filmed actually on location in London, but it tries to recapture a lot of the magic of The Daleks. There are things about it I love, like the Doctor just saying "I think we should pit our wits against theirs and defeat them," like that's a whole plan, out of the side of his mouth, and of course his speech at the end to Susan is wonderful. It's also a turning point for the character, because it's presented as purely selfless. Overall, though, it's just too long, the Robomen don't really work for me, and I'm not extremely interested in the rebels.

The Rescue, though, is just a good serial. There's a reason in story that the monster costume is silly. There's a reason in story for the Doctor softening up some, and it feels like growth. He's let his granddaughter go and has the urge to take care of somebody just as he discovers an insane murderer gaslighting a young woman. The story gives the impression that the Doctor knew right away and tries to slowly get Vicki to a place where she trusts him before he tells her the devastating truth. I like that there is an alien surprise when some of the natives of Dido turn out to be alive after all and exact their comeuppance. The moment when the Doctor offhandedly reveals the twist to the villain is a good one, and I like the expression of joy on his face when Vicki agrees to travel with him and he starts flipping the TARDIS controls. It's not bloated with a lot of capturing and escaping, it's got some humor, and it immediately makes us like the new companion.

David Whitaker writes some good serials.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth hasn't really aged well. It feels like it was probably exciting because of Daleks being filmed actually on location in London, but it tries to recapture a lot of the magic of The Daleks. There are things about it I love, like the Doctor just saying "I think we should pit our wits against theirs and defeat them," like that's a whole plan, out of the side of his mouth, and of course his speech at the end to Susan is wonderful. It's also a turning point for the character, because it's presented as purely selfless. Overall, though, it's just too long, the Robomen don't really work for me, and I'm not extremely interested in the rebels.

The Rescue, though, is just a good serial. There's a reason in story that the monster costume is silly. There's a reason in story for the Doctor softening up some, and it feels like growth. He's let his granddaughter go and has the urge to take care of somebody just as he discovers an insane murderer gaslighting a young woman. The story gives the impression that the Doctor knew right away and tries to slowly get Vicki to a place where she trusts him before he tells her the devastating truth. I like that there is an alien surprise when some of the natives of Dido turn out to be alive after all and exact their comeuppance. The moment when the Doctor offhandedly reveals the twist to the villain is a good one, and I like the expression of joy on his face when Vicki agrees to travel with him and he starts flipping the TARDIS controls. It's not bloated with a lot of capturing and escaping, it's got some humor, and it immediately makes us like the new companion.

David Whitaker writes some good serials.

Barbara murdered Vicki's pet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Barbara murdered Vicki's pet.

Yes, but she was very, very sorry about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Barbara is great

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Oh, I made a whoopsie when I killed your lizard in cold blood. Friends now?" she even said.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't there an episode about this?

https://twitter.com/unaccompflyer/status/878562079707410432

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I finally got back to listening to CDNM2 with the C. Bakes story last night and found it pretty interesting. A lot of the story itself wasn't all that brilliant but the way it framed itself as a backwards sequel to The Shakespeare Code where the monsters know what happens in that first story but the Doctor obviously can't because it's in his future was fun. I like when the series plays with the format in that kind of temporal way.

Katy with a Y would have made a fun companion for Six.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm almost entirely certain that's exactly what happened. A script they had commissioned fell through, so they called up Terry Nation and asked him if he had anything they could use for a full story, and he basically gave them 3-4 story ideas that hadn't really been developed much past the planning stage.
I've probably said this before, but Terry Nation was a hack (in the best sense of the word; ie, someone who could knock stuff out on a deadline that was of reasonable quality and in a filmable state) with a talent for self-promotion who got very lucky with the Daleks and was able to coast on his success. He did loads of stories for ITC in the 60s for shows like Department S, The Saint and The Baron, and there's generally little special about them - they're the epitome of 'work to order'.

But he also came up with Blake's 7, so I'll give him all credit for that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

I've probably said this before, but Terry Nation was a hack (in the best sense of the word; ie, someone who could knock stuff out on a deadline that was of reasonable quality and in a filmable state) with a talent for self-promotion who got very lucky with the Daleks and was able to coast on his success. He did loads of stories for ITC in the 60s for shows like Department S, The Saint and The Baron, and there's generally little special about them - they're the epitome of 'work to order'.

But he also came up with Blake's 7, so I'll give him all credit for that.

He was also, oddly, involved in the first season of MacGyver. Very odd to see his name show up in the opening credits when I watched a few recently.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

He did loads of stories for ITC in the 60s for shows like Department S, The Saint and The Baron, and there's generally little special about them - they're the epitome of 'work to order'.

I've just reached the point in The Saint where he started writing scripts for them. They are the dictionary definition of "run of the mill The Saint episodes" with an addendum of "I'm just here for Roger Moore, anyway". Most of the ITC shows you just watch for the lead being charismatic. It's Moore in The Saint, Wyngarde in Department S and Jason King etc. I have The Champions dvd sitting unwatched and I'll be interested to see who it is for them.

I bet there's an alternate universe where the BBC decided not to commission Doctor Who so they took it to ITC instead and the Doctors are all played by the protagonists of the ITC shows (the First Doctor: Roger Moore! the Second Doctor: Patrick McGoohan! the Third Doctor: Peter Wyngarde! the episodes: often boring!).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

They should get a few of them, and then get them multi-tasking. Maybe put them into cooking and maybe plumbing as well? They could have an arm with an egg whisk, and.. ooh! A plunger!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've just reached the point in The Saint where he started writing scripts for them. They are the dictionary definition of "run of the mill The Saint episodes" with an addendum of "I'm just here for Roger Moore, anyway". Most of the ITC shows you just watch for the lead being charismatic. It's Moore in The Saint, Wyngarde in Department S and Jason King etc. I have The Champions dvd sitting unwatched and I'll be interested to see who it is for them.

I bet there's an alternate universe where the BBC decided not to commission Doctor Who so they took it to ITC instead and the Doctors are all played by the protagonists of the ITC shows (the First Doctor: Roger Moore! the Second Doctor: Patrick McGoohan! the Third Doctor: Peter Wyngarde! the episodes: often boring!).

The Champions is definitely William Gaunt. It's clearly MEANT to be Stuart Damon as he's The American One and is a pilot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

The Champions is definitely William Gaunt. It's clearly MEANT to be Stuart Damon as he's The American One and is a pilot.

And for your requisite Doctor Who connection, William Gaunt later played Orcini in "Revelation of the Daleks".

Personally, I can't wait for the Big Screen Reboot ITC Adventure Show Shared Cinematic Universe to kick off with Simon Templar (played by Henry Cavill's eyebrow) being greeted by John Steed (Tom Hiddleston with a bowler hat and umbrella) and Mrs Emma Peel (Emily Blunt in a catsuit) who want to talk to him about "the Avengers initiative".

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 31, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: AHHHHHH :siren:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/coming-soon-the-eighth-doctor-in-the-time-war

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It looks great, especially The Conscript which sounds like a fantastic clash of philosophies.

Box of Bunnies posted:

I finally got back to listening to CDNM2 with the C. Bakes story last night and found it pretty interesting. A lot of the story itself wasn't all that brilliant but the way it framed itself as a backwards sequel to The Shakespeare Code where the monsters know what happens in that first story but the Doctor obviously can't because it's in his future was fun. I like when the series plays with the format in that kind of temporal way.

Katy with a Y would have made a fun companion for Six.

Yeah I dug that story. The weakest was probably Davison's, which wasn't helped by the Racnoss being pretty awful in the first place. McGann's wasn't great but I liked how it complemented Tom Baker's, and provided a neat contrast to Four's melancholy at the end of his episode feeling rather shallow. I don't mean that as a knock on Baker at all, the character of Four isn't as weighted down by everything as later incarnations are and especially not 8 who has seen some poo poo. The "I should have saved somebody" line in Tom's story is great, but you can tell at the time it's somewhat of a novel concept to him - he has some experience with events where everybody else died, but not to the extent that later incarnations have had, so it hasn't ground him down as much.

The Classic Doctors/New Monsters gimmick is cool, but I hope next volume doesn't repeat a villain. There are plenty you could play around with, hell the Silence are perfect because it's built in for the Doctor and everybody else to forget they ever met them.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

The Classic Doctors/New Monsters gimmick is cool, but I hope next volume doesn't repeat a villain. There are plenty you could play around with, hell the Silence are perfect because it's built in for the Doctor and everybody else to forget they ever met them.

Yeah, you can feel them stretching the gimmick a bit from the start first with the technicality to fit the Sontarans into the first set and then the double up on the Vashta Narada in this one. The Slitheen are the obvious one they've avoided so far, I guess because everyone still thinks of them as just "the fart aliens", but given Big Finish's track record of rehabilitating things that were slightly naff or entirely terrible on screen I figure it wouldn't hurt for them to have a crack at them.

The Silence would be perfect to pair up against the chessmaster version of Seven.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

They've said Vol 2 is probably going to be the last one for a while, due to a lack of new monsters to work within the format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

hell the Silence are perfect because it's built in for the Doctor and everybody else to forget they ever met them.

While the UNIT set featuring the Silence was pretty decent they did get pretty tiresome (probably because that concept is tough to stretch out for FOUR HOURS). Maybe they would work better in a single on-off story though

• Locked thread