Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Nash posted:

I have never played DnD but some friends and I are starting to throw together a group to try it out. The DM at least has played a good amount, although a long time ago.

I am going to roll up a warlock. Are there any warlock skills or spells that you just can't go without? It seems eldritch blast is your bread and butter damage but what others things should I grab as I go? Probably going with Great Old One and book pact.

The eldritch invocation "Agonizing Blast". When you get it you get to add your CHA to damage rolls with eldritch blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

sleepy.eyes posted:

I've tried listening to several DnD streams and I can't stand a single one of them. Am I just a crumudgeon or are they just sort of cringy? Maybe DnD just isn't something I can enjoy without playing.

Have you listened to The Adventure Zone? It just wrapped it's first series, so you have a lot to catch up on and could binge it all the way through without having to wait for new episodes.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Nash posted:

I am going to roll up a warlock. Are there any warlock skills or spells that you just can't go without? It seems eldritch blast is your bread and butter damage but what others things should I grab as I go? Probably going with Great Old One and book pact.

For a GOOlock, don't skip out of Dissonant Whispers. It gives everyone nearby, you included, an opportunity attack when the target is forced to move away. If you have a rogue in the party that lets them get an off-turn sneak attack. If a few melee are stacked on a target it's ridiculous.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Nash posted:

I have never played DnD but some friends and I are starting to throw together a group to try it out. The DM at least has played a good amount, although a long time ago.

Hey cool, you picked my favorite class! It has a lot of fiddly mechanics that aren't terribly intuitive for beginners, so here are a few tips:

-In addition to your spell slots recharging on short rest (rather than long), you're always casting spells at their highest level. Quite a few spells on the Warlock list have additional effects when cast at higher levels, so keep an eye out for those. Notably, Hex's duration increases to 8 hours at level 5 (3rd level slots) and 24 hours at level 9 (5th level slots), so eventually, Hex can last all day on a single slot provided that you maintain concentration on it. Spells like Charm/Hold Person, Invisibility, and Fly all target additional creatures when cast using higher level slots. Many damage spells gain additional damage dice.

-Eldritch Blast gains additional beams at level 5, 11, and 17. Both Hex and the Agonizing Blast invocation add their bonus damage to each individual beam.

-You're not locked into spells/invocations you pick. Each time you gain a level, you can swap one spell you know for another, same with invocations. Something like Fiendish Vigor (lets you cast False Life for free for 1d4+4 temp HP) is a fairly solid invocation at low levels, but loses some luster later on once a single hit is less likely to KO you and more healing resources are available to the party.

-Both Agonizing Blast and your pact-specific invocations are generally must-haves. Repelling Blast is also fairly useful to either keep enemies at bay, to occasionally break allies out of grapples/restraints, and at higher levels, to potentially shove enemies into the area of Evard's Black Tentacles or Hunger of Hadar.

-On tome pact-specific stuff, definitely pick up Guidance as one of your three cantrips from any class. It's a free +1d4 to ability checks in most cases. Mending is a useful utility ability to have if nobody else has access to it. And while Eldritch Blast is your best damage cantrip in most cases, consider picking up one that you can use without penalty when an enemy is in your face. Sacred Flame, Thorn Whip (30 foot range, but it specifies a melee spell attack, meaning no penalty), and Vicious Mockery are my favorites here. As for rituals, Find Familiar is a must-have. Apart from being a fantasy drone and occasional sacrificial lamb, it can provide the Help action in combat, giving you or an ally of your choice advantage on the next attack they make.

Slippery42 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 29, 2017

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Slippery42 posted:

Hey cool, you picked my favorite class! It has a lot of fiddly mechanics that aren't terribly intuitive for beginners, so here are a few tips:

-In addition to your spell slots recharging on short rest (rather than long), you're always casting spells at their highest level. Quite a few spells on the Warlock list have additional effects when cast at higher levels, so keep an eye out for those. Notably, Hex's duration increases to 8 hours at level 5 (3rd level slots) and 24 hours at level 9 (5th level slots), so eventually, Hex can last all day on a single slot provided that you maintain concentration on it. Spells like Charm/Hold Person, Invisibility, and Fly all target additional creatures when cast using higher level slots. Many damage spells gain additional damage dice.

-Eldritch Blast gains additional beams at level 5, 11, and 17. Both Hex and the Agonizing Blast invocation add their bonus damage to each individual beam.

-You're not locked into spells/invocations you pick. Each time you gain a level, you can swap one spell you know for another, same with invocations. Something like Fiendish Vigor (lets you cast False Life for free for 1d4+4 temp HP) is a fairly solid invocation at low levels, but loses some luster later on once a single hit is less likely to KO you and more healing resources are available to the party.

-Both Agonizing Blast and your pact-specific invocations are generally must-haves. Repelling Blast is also fairly useful to either keep enemies at bay, to occasionally break allies out of grapples/restraints, and at higher levels, to potentially shove enemies into the area of Evard's Black Tentacles or Hunger of Hadar.

-On tome pact-specific stuff, definitely pick up Guidance as one of your three cantrips from any class. It's a free +1d4 to ability checks in most cases. Mending is a useful utility ability to have if nobody else has access to it. And while Eldritch Blast is your best damage cantrip in most cases, consider picking up one that you can use without penalty when an enemy is in your face. Sacred Flame, Thorn Whip (30 foot range, but it specifies a melee spell attack, meaning no penalty), and Vicious Mockery are my favorites here. As for rituals, Find Familiar is a must-have. Apart from being a fantasy drone and occasional sacrificial lamb, it can provide the Help action in combat, giving you or an ally of your choice advantage on the next attack they make.
Additionally if you pick a martial class first and multiclass into warlock you can turn into a versatile, beefy front-liner. Warlocks are also pretty great for roleplaying purposes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is the UA Hexblade any good for the melee warlock experience? I've only ever played as monk and bard before.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ibblebibble posted:

Is the UA Hexblade any good for the melee warlock experience? I've only ever played as monk and bard before.

It's pretty good but I'd wait a few months for the final version of it to come out in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Hopefully the few issues it has have been addressed and modified.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ibblebibble posted:

I played it some and it's good, although I think it's still decently worth starting at level 1 as a Fighter and then multiclassing into it for the sweet Con proficiency, heavy armor, and Second Wind.

Although the flavour is slightly whack and honestly while keeping the mechanics 90% the same it should really be rewritten so that the Patron is 'Hexer' or something that just so happens to work well with Blade Pact and swap the Pact and Patron abilities and invocations a bit.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hello 5e thread! I'm playing with some friends doing the Curse of Strahd and we escaped the house* and now we're level three and our DM is travelling for a couple weeks so I wanted to take the time to maybe redo my charsheet since it's covered in eraser smudges and such. Are there any particular web sheets y'all are fond of? I tried the official beyond thing, but for warlocks the only pact option it has is infernal, and I'd picked archfey (I picked pact of the blade, should be fun). Also, we've got a couple copies of the PHB but spell referencing always slows us down and I was wondering if there are official spell cards. I saw some printable spell card options, but I have limited print options...I can make it happen if need be but I like official merch, it's a weakness.

So far I think one of my favorite things about 5e has been the backgrounds part of chargen; when I was reading up on all the options (race, class, background) it was like half a dozen character concepts just materialized for me, and since warlock was completely new to me, that's what I went with.

*technically I got brought to near death on an islandlike thing in the middle of water in an underground cavern attached to a basement, stabilized, and the rest of the house burned down but the water kept me from catching fire while everyone else escaped. Later in picking through the burnt ruins they healed me up.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
There is a 5e spellbook app for android that looks good.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, cool--I'm on iOS but we're about a 50/50 split between android and iOS so that should still be a huge help, thanks!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh, cool--I'm on iOS but we're about a 50/50 split between android and iOS so that should still be a huge help, thanks!

Do you have access to PDFs while playing? If so the best character sheet I have seen is More Purple More Better's Form Fillable Sheet. It generally gets updated fairly quickly when new content comes out, has options to select if you want UA material available, has options to change the colors of the sheet, is up to date with the last bit of character options released, is Pay What You Want, and you can download updated versions when they come out if you have purchased it.

Other than that? Not sure, most of the apps I used to see seemed to either be limited to level 1, limited to the same stuff Beyond currently is, have no information and need you to enter everything manually, or were taken down.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 30, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ryuujin posted:

Do you have access to PDFs while playing? If so the best character sheet I have seen is More Purple More Better's Form Fillable Sheet.

Yeah, it's great. (Link fixed.)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, I'd seen that one but wasn't sure if paying would get me future iterations as well. Thank you so much.

One thing I'm thinking about asking the DM about is if, while he's away, I can run some fake practice sessions just so the new people and people playing classes that just unlocked spellcasting can get some practice with the mechanics/etc., so when he gets back things'll go faster. Couple folks still getting thrown by attack vs. damage rolls, that kind of thing.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Looks like orcpub got hit with a Cease & Desist and is being shut down.

orcpub dude posted:

I am very sorry to announce that I have to cancel this campaign. I will be shutting down OrcPub.com and OrcPub2.com very soon as well. I may reuse the infrastructure to support other games, we'll see. Sorry about any inconvenience this causes, I hope everyone understands I had nothing but good intentions, to help grow and strengthen the 5e community. I poured my heart and soul into OrcPub and received very little in return.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this is due to legal issues. I don't want to go into more detail because I don't want to open myself to further issues.

Of course the recent launch of D&D Beyond had nothing to do with this. Though to be fair the dude was trying to charge for access to d&d content, including non-SRD stuff, which seems like a great way to attract the attention and ire of the content's owners.

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003

Ambi posted:

Of course the recent launch of D&D Beyond had nothing to do with this. Though to be fair the dude was trying to charge for access to d&d content, including non-SRD stuff, which seems like a great way to attract the attention and ire of the content's owners.

That's basically "how to get sued by the IP owner 101" so yeah. Not a smart move on his part.

Hey Trebuchet King, you might also want to check out Fight Club 5e on iOS - it's a fully featured character manager with community-generated data sets that include pretty much all the available 5e content. Everything you need at your fingertips.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Cool, thanks! Will definitely check that out.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Ryuujin posted:

Do you have access to PDFs while playing? If so the best character sheet I have seen is More Purple More Better's Form Fillable Sheet. It generally gets updated fairly quickly when new content comes out, has options to select if you want UA material available, has options to change the colors of the sheet, is up to date with the last bit of character options released, is Pay What You Want, and you can download updated versions when they come out if you have purchased it.

Other than that? Not sure, most of the apps I used to see seemed to either be limited to level 1, limited to the same stuff Beyond currently is, have no information and need you to enter everything manually, or were taken down.

So is this offering what Orc Pub used to essentially? From the description that is what it seems like.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Not sure what OrcPub offered, probably more or less. May be older than OrcPub though since it has been around a long time. It is not webbased though, it is a pdf form fillable sheet.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

From what I gathered OrcPub offered a lot more than most other resources, and it was all executed far better than Beyond or a huge PDF. I wasn't really using the site, though, and I wasn't aware that they were charging for content which is kind of a red flag.

Not that there's anything wrong with MPMB's pdfs, they're pretty loving great, but they're still giant slow PDFs.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

From what I gathered OrcPub offered a lot more than most other resources, and it was all executed far better than Beyond or a huge PDF. I wasn't really using the site, though, and I wasn't aware that they were charging for content which is kind of a red flag.

Not that there's anything wrong with MPMB's pdfs, they're pretty loving great, but they're still giant slow PDFs.

OrcPub2 allowed me to point buy my character with ease, select race, class, level, feats, equipment, weapons, etc. etc. It would include basic descriptions of everything and a note as to where the actual ability, spell, feat, etc. was located in PHB or whatever it referenced. It would also take care of all the math for you in terms of ATT, DMG, etc. You could then export it to a PDF you could print off.

Basically it allowed you to fully roll a character in a matter of minutes with almost no hassle. I never once saw a charge for anything though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
OrcPub2 is literally the only character creator I've ever used for a game that I was comfortable trusting from the beginning to the end of the process. I use a text file with the PDFs next to me in every other scenario. It's especially good for something like 5e because it collects all the Unearthed Arcana and splatbook stuff in one place at exactly the times you need those things. And it even applies bonuses to skills accurately which impressed me.

It's a shame the author flew too close to the sun with the legal poo poo.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

doctor 7 posted:

OrcPub2 allowed me to point buy my character with ease, select race, class, level, feats, equipment, weapons, etc. etc. It would include basic descriptions of everything and a note as to where the actual ability, spell, feat, etc. was located in PHB or whatever it referenced. It would also take care of all the math for you in terms of ATT, DMG, etc. You could then export it to a PDF you could print off.

Basically it allowed you to fully roll a character in a matter of minutes with almost no hassle. I never once saw a charge for anything though.

It was Kickstarted.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nickoten posted:

OrcPub2 is literally the only character creator I've ever used for a game that I was comfortable trusting from the beginning to the end of the process. I use a text file with the PDFs next to me in every other scenario. It's especially good for something like 5e because it collects all the Unearthed Arcana and splatbook stuff in one place at exactly the times you need those things. And it even applies bonuses to skills accurately which impressed me.

It's a shame the author flew too close to the sun with the legal poo poo.

OrcPub2 was legit a really good tool.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

OrcPub2 was legit a really good tool.

What happened to it? Just had a look at the website and seems like it offers a pretty good charbuilder?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Spiteski posted:

What happened to it? Just had a look at the website and seems like it offers a pretty good charbuilder?

Cease and Desist from Wotc as mentioned upthread.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

Cease and Desist from Wotc as mentioned upthread.

Yea no I get that, but I mean what's now missing? it looks pretty complete from a brief glance.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Spiteski posted:

Yea no I get that, but I mean what's now missing? it looks pretty complete from a brief glance.

It's probably going to go down since the owner posted that he was going to have to take the site down.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
I'm consistently amazed that companies Cease & Desist poo poo like this instead of seizing / politely appropriating it. Orcpub is better than beyond in pretty much every conceivable way, and they wouldn't have had to pay a cent for development.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ambi posted:

I'm consistently amazed that companies Cease & Desist poo poo like this instead of seizing / politely appropriating it. Orcpub is better than beyond in pretty much every conceivable way, and they wouldn't have had to pay a cent for development.

They already have a deal with whoever made the official tool, so they need to squash any 3rd-party tools to push more people into using the official one.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

The thing with ceae and desist type stuff is that not defending your IP can, legally at least, make successfully defending it in the future more difficult, at least when trademarks are involved as I understand it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Intellectual property is theft.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I get why it was closed down, especially if the dude genuinely asked for money for it. Even asking for coverage for "server costs" is pretty dicey.

That said, it was just loving handy as hell to have. I downloaded the character sheet PDF calculator linked previous and it's... well it's pretty loving bloated to be honest. OrcPub was relatively clean and pretty simple to use.

Honestly I just can't believe WoTC don't have an official character creator equal to or better than OrcPub. Something where you can select literally any option to make a character. Or just so "gently caress it" and let that be made by anyone so long as they don't charge. Yeah the pushback would be "but then why would they buy our products!" But honestly with piracy you can steal all of 5e if you want and I don't see Beyond as being "so convenient" it's going to take a dent into that piracy. The character creator in it that I tried was actually kind of clunky also.

I just can't justify paying for their D&D Beyond again. It's too expensive for me simply wanting an easy digital character creator. Especially when I already bought a shitload of 5e material (PHB, GMG, MM, VGM and SCAG).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So, is there actually any place to get good feedback on 5E homebrew stuff? Prospects on reddit, GitP, and Enworld seem rather slim.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Magil Zeal posted:

So, is there actually any place to get good feedback on 5E homebrew stuff? Prospects on reddit, GitP, and Enworld seem rather slim.
Right here my being. :justpost:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

The thing with ceae and desist type stuff is that not defending your IP can, legally at least, make successfully defending it in the future more difficult, at least when trademarks are involved as I understand it.

And it's also completely normal to file baseless or shaky C&Ds because scaring people away with legal fees is a tactic that WotC, and honestly tons of other companies, love to use.

Seems like this guy sank himself to an extent, but WotC has a vested interest in taking down comprehensive character builders so they would've tried regardless

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He could have trivially avoided trademark issues. This was a slam dunk copyright case.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Everyone should watch Harmonquest if you want a good D&D-like vodcast

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Everyone at PAX West with interest in WotC stuff is pretty pissed that they don't have a booth or really much of anything. A couple of panels about D&D-related topics, that's about it. I'm not sure Paizo has anything either, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Without getting into spoiler territory, how useless is the battle master's Trip Attack manoeuvre going to be in a Storm King's Thunder campaign? Giants in 5E all appear to be Huge, and as far as I'm aware they are the primary type of enemy in the adventure.

We'll hit level 7 next so I could swap it out for something more advantageous then if needed.