Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I haven't played this game in years, can anyone give me pointers on how I should spec my level 32 Behemoth? I got a free retcon cuz they changed poo poo around but I forgot what any of the stats do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just went and scraped some of my old images and I found some old memories. I slapped 'em together in an album - some CO veterans might get a kick out of some Milennia Rangers screenshots I took while putting together the footage all those years ago:

http://imgur.com/a/CBj4m

Good times :3:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'M BIKER DAVE

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Songbearer posted:

Just went and scraped some of my old images and I found some old memories. I slapped 'em together in an album - some CO veterans might get a kick out of some Milennia Rangers screenshots I took while putting together the footage all those years ago:

http://imgur.com/a/CBj4m

Good times :3:

I still show that video to people. I'm so glad I'm in it. :3:

EDIT: And then I have to explain about Draysha.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
8th Anniversary event just started, they're giving away free jet bike things this week and apparently a bunch of other poo poo:

quote:

Happy Anniversary!
Champions Online is 8 years old! Through out September we will be celebrating!
Witchcraft will be around all month handing out double XP buffs!
Sapphire has a remix of her song! This new version will play randomly during her concerts.
We have a new Anniversary themed loading screen!

Weekly Freebies!
Check in every week for freebies!
This week we will be giving out the Special Edition Millennium Spirit vehicle and the Sci-Fi Emblem costume pack!

Anniversary Store!
Every week we will be adding new items to the store!
Added a Weekly Special store to the Anniversary vendor. This store will contain goodies normally only found in the ZEN store for that week only.
This week all ZEN store Become devices can be bought with Anniversary currency. The Anniversary Store bought versions will bind to that character, so be sure to buy them on the characters you want them on!
New costumes added to the Anniversary Vendor: Headphones, Party Headband, Half Feather Mask, Party Hair.
New action figures added to the ZEN store: Defender, Witchcraft, Kinetic, Sapphire, Ironclad.

Anniversary Gifts
All enemies in game are now dropping Anniversary Gifts.
Added the following items as a chance to drop from the Anniversary Gift: Glitter Belt, Party Horn costumes.
Lowered the cooldown on Anniversary Gifts to 0.5 seconds (from 3).
Updated the tooltips on many of the devices found in the Anniversary Gift.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Aw boo... I actually miss this game and wish I could afford to play it again. I keep worrying that it's gonna go the way of the dodos like CoH did and I'll be stuck with nothing but DCUO.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Doesn't look like it's going to be shut down any time soon :shrug:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah if it hasn't been axed by now it ain't going anywhere unless Cryptic itself dies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HOW IS THIS GAME PROFITABLE?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Inzombiac posted:

It's on the same engine/servers as STO and Neverwinter, so it's basically free to run with a skeleton crew of like 3 people

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah an MMO is surprisingly cheap to run when you don't have to spend anything developing new content. :downs:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Asimo posted:

Yeah if it hasn't been axed by now it ain't going anywhere unless Cryptic itself dies.

Hell, LOTRO and Evercrack are still going on and they've been around nearly forever.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

Hell, LOTRO and Evercrack are still going on and they've been around nearly forever.

Yeah and LOTRO actually gets content updates. If that game can afford to get full expansions this game can definitely just keep on chugging.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Once they relaunch CoH/CoV then we can worry about this game dying! :unsmith:

...:smith:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I'm happy that this game still exists. I'm also happy that someone wanders into this thread every now and then to dust off the cobwebs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Freeform slots are on sale 50% off, FYI.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flesh Forge posted:

:siren: Freeform slots are on sale 50% off, FYI. :siren:

We should basically use the Achewood thread rule, which is to put sirens on that statement.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's weird, there's no banner or announcement on the company web page, I just happened to notice it in the store :shrug:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sales End: Tuesday, September 5th, 2017 at 8:00 am PDT

:lol: Well, if you want one you better buy it quick.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Brave New World posted:

I'm happy that this game still exists. I'm also happy that someone wanders into this thread every now and then to dust off the cobwebs.

I'm still puttering around and enjoying myself. I've been seeing how many of the Anniversary achievements I can get and my highest character's been tearing around Monster Island racking up a body count.

Though I do have to ask since googling around's given me mixed answers, but is there a Perk Vendor and if so, where are they in the Renaissance Center?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's an NPC in the recognition area towards the back that is probably what you're looking for (the mission turnin guy). He doesn't have a ? over him and it's an option in the dialogue window.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Inzombiac posted:

There are a ton of people still buying crate keys. Every time a new crate comes out, there'll be a few players who are buying enough to get a good dozen or some of the costume sets or whatever.

Flesh Forge posted:

8th Anniversary event just started, they're giving away free jet bike things this week and apparently a bunch of other poo poo:

Apparently a bunch of stuff coming this week too, including three new /dance emotes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

There are a ton of people still buying crate keys. Every time a new crate comes out, there'll be a few players who are buying enough to get a good dozen or some of the costume sets or whatever.

Apparently a bunch of stuff coming this week too, including three new /dance emotes.

They've definitely upped the gift opening perk. Everything I found about it online ended at 100 opened and I just dinged to open 200. Did get a holo Sapphire pet and I'm wondering what the cap is on it to estimate how much farther I've got to go to see what I get next.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FYI Archetype unlocks are the weekly thing, if you like ATs.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Logging in this week also nets you a free dance emote:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Are there any other ways that you can earn Anniversary Favors other than just opening presents, or is there something that I'm missing? I was hoping to unlock an AT, but that's not happening at this droprate.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Doing the Drifter's daily will net you 25 Favors, as well as some additional presents. Fighting in the Mega Destroid open mission (by the museum) nets you 6 I think? Alongside some extra presents as well.

Most of it's going to come from present opening, since there's a ton of ways to get those, including dancing at Sapphires concert on the hour (using 30 or more dancing emotes will get you 3 presents.) Presents are also tradeable so if you have multiple characters it's a good idea to transfer them all over to a single character if you have a hideout. Or to go out of your way to buy them.

The rate at which favors are gotten probably will increase dramatically in the next weeks, when the Champions HQ attack mission gets turned on.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Once the Champions HQ open mission is enabled there's another daily for that that also gives 25, if I remember rightly. Plus the open mission itself also gives either favors or presents, I forget which.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

You can also get them from killing mobs. If you can get all those Irradiated to spawn around the bomb in the desert -- I don't know how, but sometimes there's dozens and dozens of them clustered around the huge bomb -- and just kill them for five to ten minutes as they respawn heaps, you can get a bunch of presents doing that.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

You can also get them from killing mobs. If you can get all those Irradiated to spawn around the bomb in the desert -- I don't know how, but sometimes there's dozens and dozens of them clustered around the huge bomb -- and just kill them for five to ten minutes as they respawn heaps, you can get a bunch of presents doing that.

I've been netting a fair amount working on my kill count perks for costume unlocks in Millennium City.

Edit to add: The Defend Champions HQ awards some gift drops but also drops stuff from the Anniversary store. I'm currently sitting on a small army of backups that I don't have a clue what to do with.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 16, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Travel power unlocks are the thing for this week in the event store, if you wanted jet boots or poop tunneling or whatever
e: all of the first-generation ones, not the new ones like Rainbow Flight

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 22, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Might as well ask here since Googling hasn't turned up an answer. With some of the boss fights I've had so far with Nemesis quests and the Adventure Packs, when I encounter the boss, they barely have any health to the degree that they're one shottable. However, when I attack, they begin to gain health until they hit full bar and they start losing health to attacks like normal. Is this a glitch or am I not doing something right while soloing, or something else? It's just so weird and it's only been in this game that I've seen anything like that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

Might as well ask here since Googling hasn't turned up an answer. With some of the boss fights I've had so far with Nemesis quests and the Adventure Packs, when I encounter the boss, they barely have any health to the degree that they're one shottable. However, when I attack, they begin to gain health until they hit full bar and they start losing health to attacks like normal. Is this a glitch or am I not doing something right while soloing, or something else? It's just so weird and it's only been in this game that I've seen anything like that.

I've seen that happen in APs. That might be because APs scale to the players involved, maybe?

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.
I never saw that happen when I played oh so long ago. I'm guessing it's some odd bug that got introduced at some point.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Hit by a nostalgia wave for CoH and it made me think - I remember having so much fun right from the get go on every character running through the sewers and hollows and lowbie zones, whereas every other MMO I can think of basically expects you to happily slog through unfun content forever to get to the "real experience." I'm sure later on I would've felt things moved slow without vet powers at very low levels but still.

Also, obligatory "what are you playing now if you still need to fill the MMO void?" post. Seriously is any MMO but FFXIV fun right now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember that happening all the time even right when Nemesis fights launch, yeah.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

I've seen that happen in APs. That might be because APs scale to the players involved, maybe?

Aphrodite posted:

I remember that happening all the time even right when Nemesis fights launch, yeah.

With enough healing patches/cake/pots as a backup, I do get through the fights and get the appropriate credit for them, it was just more of a 'wtf is going on?' kinda thing. I'm more used to the standing corpse or stuck in looting position while moving kinda bugs in MMOs.

And having gone through the Anniversary stuff, I found it pretty fun. Would've been nicer to have some more favor earning quests like the one Drifter offers, but drat if I didn't run enough MegaD gos to compensate. I did manage to get my 50 concert dances in, managed to get enough gifts popped for the final 750 perk, and got most of the stuff I was eyeballing in the anniversary store. I now have more action figures than I know what to do with, and made some okay bank on selling off all my surplus sparkly/glitter clothes. Did have a MegaD run bug where only the ones at west entrance spawned and the day they added Mechanon was funny with people realizing now we have to use strategy instead of zerging on through. Should be interesting when the servers are back up with how many being surprised the event's over.

Though now I wonder if in two weeks or so if we're starting Bloodmoon because I remember they fired that one off some months ago.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nonexistence posted:

Hit by a nostalgia wave for CoH and it made me think - I remember having so much fun right from the get go on every character running through the sewers and hollows and lowbie zones, whereas every other MMO I can think of basically expects you to happily slog through unfun content forever to get to the "real experience." I'm sure later on I would've felt things moved slow without vet powers at very low levels but still.

Also, obligatory "what are you playing now if you still need to fill the MMO void?" post. Seriously is any MMO but FFXIV fun right now?

Elder Scrolls Online is pretty fun, if the elder scrolls games are your thing. But yeah ff14 is my mainstay.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Another wierdness thing I just noticed. I have gotten some costume unlock drops and they don't seem to unlock to account like stuff bought from the UNTIL store. I popped a bunch of irradiated unlocks that were drops on one toon, but with the others they don't seem to show up until I've hit the appropriate perk that they'd unlock with at the UNTIL store. Is this normal or have I goofed somewhere with unlocking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nonexistence posted:

Even FFXIV's a bit naff to me right now, thanks to Stormblood being perhaps the laziest I've ever seen the series be and them removing any impetus to level up anything but your primary job. I'm really trying to find stuff to enjoy about it right now, but all I'm hitting is doing chores for NPCs that hate me, in a zone that's a flagrant ripoff of one of the boring parts of FFX, while playing a job I desperately need a change of pace from.

Secret World Legends is still good, but I've been bouncing off it every time I try to play it because I personally dislike its early zones.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 1, 2017