Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Venice is a great change. If you only have one city the whole game, you are doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I liked Venice because it was so different. I'd like to see more civs like that where you have to play with a completely different strategy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Im pretty sire Venice generates a legendary start to compensate for the lack of settlers

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Peas and Rice posted:

Also, I'd be up for a GMR game with me as Venice and you as the Civ of your choice if you'd care to settle this like gentlemen. :)

I'm interested in taking you up on that.:hist101:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

:D Awesome. I'll try to set it up tonight after I put the kiddo down.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Venice is great, and has empirically shown to help new players get their first Deity win, by reducing options and forcing them down an optimized path. In addition to cash trade routes and the obvious mega navy, I always enjoy going "Operation: Feed Venice" and see how close to 50 pop I can get. It's really hard to gently caress up Venice in singe player, just go ham and have fun on the highest difficulty you're willing to try.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Peas and Rice posted:

:D Awesome. I'll try to set it up tonight after I put the kiddo down.

I hope the thread will be treated to a full after-action report :)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

Venice is great, and has empirically shown to help new players get their first Deity win, by reducing options and forcing them down an optimized path. In addition to cash trade routes and the obvious mega navy, I always enjoy going "Operation: Feed Venice" and see how close to 50 pop I can get. It's really hard to gently caress up Venice in singe player, just go ham and have fun on the highest difficulty you're willing to try.

Yeah, Venice was an auto victory for me on single player at any difficulty.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

homullus posted:

Several games (great ones, classics like SMAC and MOO) have had this modular design and I have strongly disliked it every time, because making military units is so much more laborious. Unless you're only ever building one kind of unit (which only happens at the end of the game), the interface has to account for all the different things you could build. Pikeman, pikeman + medic, pikeman + catapult, pikeman + sapper, pikeman + sapper + medic, ad nauseam, for every loving tier of technology. Yes, you can have the interface save your "favorites", but you still have to scroll through all those options to make the favorites, and still have to scroll through all the favorites, unless you take even more time to prune that list as you go. And you have to name them so you know which is which. And then there's the question of upgrading those individual components. It's a mess and it's misplaced depth.

I agree. I never really futzed around with the minmaxing in SMAC. I envision it working here as the support unit being a separate thing you buy and build and then it moves around like a great person until you attach it to a unit- decent movement, doesn't violate 1upt, can't attack on its own, and once you attach it it's consumed into the unit. Then it auto-upgrades once you reach the right technology.

Unit customization is a cool thing, but it tends to either go unused because using the best technology is so much better or there is a "best spec" that winds up becoming the default. For civ it should always tie into the idea of deciding what to produce when, I think.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 30, 2017

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
People need to not judge Venice by how the AI handles it. A good player can wreck your poo poo.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This game is fun, I'm mostly avoiding this thread to try and limit my knowledge to give the AI a bit of an edge. Could I get some recommendations for for Civ's the AI is good at? I'd rather not play with some of the worst AI's as neighbors, it's a bit too easy.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am proud, started a Civ 1 game in a web based dosbox and actually got the copy protection research tree question right. I keep forgetting if my mother's birthday is the 14th or 16th, but I remember the Civ1 tech tree.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tahirovic posted:

I am proud, started a Civ 1 game in a web based dosbox and actually got the copy protection research tree question right. I keep forgetting if my mother's birthday is the 14th or 16th, but I remember the Civ1 tech tree.

computers requires: electricity, mathematics

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It would be kind of fun to play a multiplayer game where everyone is Venice. All of the other Venices trying to determine who the most powerful Venice is so they can boycott them. Giant, purchased armies popping up anywhere in the world. Gigantic navies.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I can't believe Great Scientists still seem broken. Two or three eurekas and they're always the same tech. It's insane.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

DM'd you the link! I set it up to be the two of us plus 4 AI players since Venice would be seriously nerfed otherwise (and this way we'll have some other civs to pick on).

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hope the thread will be treated to a full after-action report :)

Oh yeah. Venice gets to write its history after all. ;)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The White Dragon posted:

computers requires: electricity, mathematics

They do indeed

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Civ6: Rocketry does not require Combustion, Telecommunications and Internet do not require Computers.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

my civ has a very sophisticated semaphore network, thank you very much

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's okay, I'm over here landing on the moon via the Jules Verne method.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Unfortunate news from the space program today

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cythereal posted:

Civ6: Rocketry does not require Combustion, Telecommunications and Internet do not require Computers.

The Civ6 tech-tree is so weird, you can do weird stuff like getting infantry before muskets or something. Can't be hosed to look it up right now but it's...stupid.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I'm currently having fun with a mod that improves a number of pantheons that were otherwise kinda bad, like Lady of the Reeds and Marshes, which is boosted to +2 production and +1 Faith. So I started a game as Sumeria in a true start Giant Earth map. 12 Floodplain tiles for one city.

I'm gonna have fun this map.

edit: is there a discord for civ players?

fishception fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 31, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TjyvTompa posted:

The Civ6 tech-tree is so weird, you can do weird stuff like getting infantry before muskets or something. Can't be hosed to look it up right now but it's...stupid.

railguns son

you know what might be cool? a tech web like beyond earth (or... honestly civ 1 with the way prereqs worked :v:) with distant prerequisites on opposite ends of the web but then, like, split-choice techs also--they give the same basic tech traits, but then they have slightly different permanent passives. feudalism vs bushido, lunar calendar vs astral calender, etc.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 31, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

Infantry armed with Girandoni Rifles from 1800's.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Nothing much to do at work so here's my useless ordering of Civilization games according to how they look. Not the graphics but more about how visually pleasing they are to me.

From most beautiful to ugliest:

Civilization 1 really still looks very nice! It feels cozy, warm greens and blues. I don't know what happened with Civ 2, it's so ugly. The forests in Civ 5 are really good looking, thick and dense. They destroyed forests in Civ 6.

Thanks for reading.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
it's because civ 2 was a wide palette of brown sludge

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And Beyond Earth on top of all those. I never understood people who could play on Lush worlds - they're so Earthlike and boring. Frigid and Primordial worlds in Rising Tide were a good step, but if CBE wasn't apparently dead I'd be hoping for even more exotic worlds in the next expansion.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
In all except 6 you actually see what terrain is below the FoW.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

John F Bennett posted:

Nothing much to do at work so here's my useless ordering of Civilization games according to how they look. Not the graphics but more about how visually pleasing they are to me.

From most beautiful to ugliest:

Civilization 1 really still looks very nice! It feels cozy, warm greens and blues. I don't know what happened with Civ 2, it's so ugly. The forests in Civ 5 are really good looking, thick and dense. They destroyed forests in Civ 6.

Thanks for reading.

Hard to argue with this ordering, tbh! 5 is gorgeous, 1 is good for its very simple design that it does well, 4 is very solid, 6 is just worse than 5 while trying to do the same thing, 3 is awful, and 2 while an amazing game is as noted just brown sludge the whole way.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I like how clear and easy it is to see units on the map in Civ 1. Subsequent games look more realistic but it's also harder on my poor eyes. I wish there was at least an option to highlight tiles units are on or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I like how clear and easy it is to see units on the map in Civ 1. Subsequent games look more realistic but it's also harder on my poor eyes. I wish there was at least an option to highlight tiles units are on or something.
Civ 6 is TERRIBLE at visibility. They're actively trying to hide units.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
5 is absolutely the best looking. I love the leader heads in that one. Huge, huge step back in 6. :sad:

I'll always have a soft spot for the period appropriate leaders of 3 though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Poil posted:

Civ 6 is TERRIBLE at visibility. They're actively trying to hide units.

Maybe I'm just old and my eyes are lovely, but I hate hate hate the FOW effect in 6 so much. I have a super-hard time differentiating it and unexplored territory.

Fintilgin posted:

I so wish they'd bring this back.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I loved a lot about Civ Revolutions:

* No worker units, just buy improvements with gold
* Every civ gets a unique advantage (unit. ability etc) every era
* Spies make hilarious sneaky music sounds when they move
* Ships come with a free sailor unit which is weak but allows you to capture ancient ruins you spot while exploring
* Your advisors bicker and push each other out of the way
* lol simglish: PO PONEM

I would unironically play that game if it was out on PC

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Peas and Rice posted:

I so wish they'd bring this back.

It was the best. The best.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

This assumes that the natural goal of every civilization is to become a modern white Western elite.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

homullus posted:

This assumes that the natural goal of every civilization is to become a modern white Western elite.

Well, presumably a new version could tweak that up and avoid having everyone go to suits while still modernizing material, background, props. It's still a really fun idea.

EDIT: But yeah, renissance robin hood zulu or whatever was a little weird and uncreative, and it should have been more based off regional designs.

EDIT EDIT: Please don't take away caveman Lincoln

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Fintilgin posted:

It was the best. The best.

Elvis Culture Advisor or BUST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Gort posted:

I loved a lot about Civ Revolutions:

* No worker units, just buy improvements with gold
* Every civ gets a unique advantage (unit. ability etc) every era
* Spies make hilarious sneaky music sounds when they move
* Ships come with a free sailor unit which is weak but allows you to capture ancient ruins you spot while exploring
* Your advisors bicker and push each other out of the way
* lol simglish: PO PONEM

I would unironically play that game if it was out on PC

Civ Rev was really good. People give it a lot of poo poo and yes it's inferior to a regular Civ game. But it was very good.

No workers and the extra stuff per civ you got every era were very good design decisions.

It seems Firaxis forgot about those things between 4 and 5, or just tossed them. Why?