Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm sitting at 245 core games, not counting any expansions, including 8 new games from Gen Con this month. Earlier this year I gave away ~100 games and/or expansions to a game group in SoCal before moving out of state, mainly to save the extra boxes and packing, but it was a good opportunity to purge a lot of old stuff I knew I'd never play again (or in some cases had never played). I could probably use to do that again by the end of the year, but it'd be a lot fewer to purge this time. A relatively big collection like this serves a lot of different purposes beyond just core game nights, but also a variety of party games, family-weight games for the holidays, etc. Lots of stuff that might only get played once a year, but I find worth holding on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

"If these are your favorite games, don't you want to keep playing them to get better instead of constantly learning new ones?" And she's right, I've had other (more expensive, unfortunately) hobbies that I pulled back from when I realized I was becoming a collector more than a user.

That's exactly what I'm expecting from Caylus. It's only a new game for us because I kept putting it off but my friends and I have been gushing about build orders and how much to bribe the provost and we'll probably get to playing it dozens and dozens of times before wanting anything similar. We're close to 50 games of FCM at this point and we still talk and gush about build orders.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

I've got 55 board games right now (not including expansions) and I'm already at the stage where I'm trying to get rid of the rarely played ones before I buy new ones. My partner made a good point: "If these are your favorite games, don't you want to keep playing them to get better instead of constantly learning new ones?" And she's right, I've had other (more expensive, unfortunately) hobbies that I pulled back from when I realized I was becoming a collector more than a user.

Yeah - I don't want to be a board game collector. I've gone through owning a couple hundred games, but I only own 30 or so at any given time. Thankfully, it's very easy to dump games on the local Facebook group (previously used the BGG local forum thread, but they sort of shut that down).

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I live in an apartment and can't imagine owning that many games unless I ever own a house somehow. I have about 30 right now and have set myself a soft cap of 40, beyond which I need to designate a game that I plan to get rid of for each new one I get, and a hard cap of 50.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

COOL CORN posted:

How is Ogre? You can get the 6th edition with the reinforcements pack for like $30 which is absurd for anything even tangential to wargames.

I'd recommend grabbing the $2 bagged version and giving it a try. It's.... ok. But not amazing by any sense.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've never even counted my games but I have two different shelves in different areas: one for games I've played and one for games I haven't played yet.

I purged a bunch of good but otherwise disinteresting games a couple years ago, they were left over from when I was less certain what I did and didn't like.

I sometimes will buy games I know I won't get to play immediately and I'm OK with that because they are always games that, from experience, I sense won't be around forever and will go out of print and become unavailable. Sure you can (almost) always hunt down a used copy of something somewhere but where I might be willing to give a game a shot at 50-60 bucks I won't hunt it down for $used-out-of-print + $shipping in the collector marketplace.

Board games hold their value decently well and it's not like they go bad or anything, so I'm perfectly fine with a box on a shelf until I get around to it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I guess my confusion with large collections is that they take up physical space. I mean, I know lots of friends with hundreds of steam sale games so it's also an issue there, but the diff is just that steam games don't take up physical space. Anyway, thanks for answering. It'll be pretty helpful for me in trying to convince friends into not buying games we don't need. I think for me, the thought behind not keeping so many party/normie games is that a few is all that's ever needed anyway. You're only ever playing with those people a few times every year since they're not really "into" board games so my thought is that the same couple games is more than enough.

Lord Frisk posted:

I'd recommend grabbing the $2 bagged version and giving it a try. It's.... ok. But not amazing by any sense.
Isn't Ogre just a tank game for grognards who want space tanks and not WW2/Cold War tanks? Though IDK why you'd want to play it when MBT is around.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I recently added my latest purchases to my BGG profile and the site sent me a message to congratulate me on owning 100 games.

My reaction was surprise, shame, and eBay, in that order.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sitting at 65 games here, not counting expansions. My shelves are at about 50 big box games on my 2x4 Kallaxs and that's my limit. I'm at a 1 in 1 out system these days, though I have a few clunkers in the collection for various reasons (little cousins love Zombicide, so that's a bad game I plan on keeping). I peaked at around 115 games last year but sold and gave away a lot of stuff. Curating a good collection is more enjoyable for me at this point than just mass collecting, I enjoy playing a game many times over and feeling the sense of progression in skill, which is why I enjoy abstracts so much, good ones have almost limitless replayability. I keep a tight collection of top 10s for various categories and let that dictate my collection. I also play a lot of stuff on iOS so a lot of classics aren't in my physical collection, like Agricola, though I may pick up the collectors edition with 1000+ cards when that comes out.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I own 7 games, fight me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just counted 25 games, which neatly fit into one cabinet of my house and my trunk.

Well, my trunk isn't that neat, but you get the point.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I own 29, and if I could make money selling and shipping 2/3 of them I would.

I'm the same way with video games. If I ever have more than 3-4 games in my house I get antsy. A beaten/abandoned game is like a banana peel. You've already received all it has to offer, now it's just litter.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FunkMonkey posted:

I own 7 games, fight me.

Two of them had better be Go and Food Chain Magnate.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Isn't Ogre just a tank game for grognards who want space tanks and not WW2/Cold War tanks? Though IDK why you'd want to play it when MBT is around.

Does MBT let you pit one monstrous tank against dozens of tanks, APCs, and infantry, and have a good chance of winning as the lone tank?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Huxley posted:

A beaten/abandoned game is like a banana peel. You've already received all it has to offer, now it's just litter.

I can't agree with this, I still enjoy replaying video games to reexperience the story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I buy board games to study the craft so I'll just buy any random old poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

homullus posted:

Does MBT let you pit one monstrous tank against dozens of tanks, APCs, and infantry, and have a good chance of winning as the lone tank?

As much as KRUPP STEEL memers say otherwise, the Maus was actually not that cool or good.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

I can't agree with this, I still enjoy replaying video games to reexperience the story.

I know a lot of people are like this, and that's fine and great. I just know myself and I have beaten exactly two games more than one time: MGS on the PSX and FFX (with the remaster).

I also can't physically bring myself to rewatch a movie or TV series. I've never bothered to ask myself what my "favorite" movie of all time is, but whatever the answer, I guarantee I've haven't watched it more than twice.

Everybody funny some kind of way, I guess.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Huxley posted:

Everybody funny some kind of way, I guess.

Everyone except you.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I do the "one in, one out" system with a single bookshelf. Works well. Once gloomhaven gets here I might have a few strays, just given the size.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
it's loving 22 lbs

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It had arrived while I was recovering from surgery but it stayed unopened because I couldn't loving lift it!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
BGG says I'm at 81 games, but more like 70 once you compress things like Dominion, BattleCON, Pixel Tactics, and Codenames into single entries. And that's still counting my PNP of Final Attack! and multiple editions of High Frontier.

And I've definitely got some chaff in there. I've been trying to sell my Pixel Tactics collection for months. I specifically bought Russian Front and the D-Day series at a used bookstore to flip, and just haven't managed to yet. I can't even give NIKA away.

But I still want more, of course. I'm trying to be a designer. To me, new games are study materials as much as anything else. I have to keep chasing the new and revolutionary, or else I'll just fall into irrelevance.

Of course, I don't think Knizia's even looked at a new game in 30 years and he makes bank, so what the gently caress do I know.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Lately I'm always saying things like, "I haven't played Space Alert in five years and none of my friends will play with me, but maaaybe in ten years I can play with my toddler/unborn kids."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Lately I'm always saying things like, "I haven't played Space Alert in five years and none of my friends will play with me, but maaaybe in ten years I can play with my toddler/unborn kids."

At that point the hotness will be Captain Ultrasound. Sever.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I'm at about 70 games not counting expansions, and that's about my upper limit. After this years Essen crop and an 18xx or 2 I'm implementing a 1 in 1 out policy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutter Owl posted:

BGG says I'm at 81 games, but more like 70 once you compress things like Dominion, BattleCON, Pixel Tactics, and Codenames into single entries. And that's still counting my PNP of Final Attack! and multiple editions of High Frontier.

And I've definitely got some chaff in there. I've been trying to sell my Pixel Tactics collection for months. I specifically bought Russian Front and the D-Day series at a used bookstore to flip, and just haven't managed to yet. I can't even give NIKA away.

That's about how I am. I just up and counted and I'm at 55-65 depending on if you count things like RPG books or things like The Quiet Year as board games, and even then about 20-25 of those are tiny boxes that I could never sell sort of leaving them with my roommate after I move and saying "give me $30 for all these so I don't have to move them". And like was mentioned that's at least partially for logistical reasons, I only have so much shelf space. I'm mostly jealous of people with big collections specifically because it implies a level of financial stability that I've never come remotely close to lol

PerniciousKnid posted:

Same.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is Great Western Trail good? It's rated super high on BGG but I never see anything about it. It looks like a tweaked and rethemed Caylus, which I'm down with.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's not really Calyus-y I don't think, but it is good. Also you get to talk about cows a lot while playing and that's only a plus as far as I'm concerned.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I would like to be around 50 games, but based on my wishlist that isn't looking very hopeful.

Sooner or later we plan on loading up into an RV for a couple of years and my list will be down to 5-10 max for a few years.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think my collection is over 100 now but that's mostly because I'm a wargamer and hate giving stuff away if I like it. Although I gave away my collection of Combat Commander essentially for free since I hadn't been able to sell them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PerniciousKnid posted:

My wife has an anxiety condition. I physically cannot safely play Space Alert with her, and it makes me sad.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I have a friend who doesn't like space alert solely because of the alarm sounds in the app.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I have a friend who doesn't like space alert solely because of the alarm sounds in the app.

:siren:BWOOP BWOOP:siren: ALERT: ENEMY ACTIVITY DETECTED

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
It is nearly Autumn in this year of our lord, 2017, and, yet, do I still see a glowing recommendation for Love Letter in the OP?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

It is nearly Autumn in this year of our lord, 2017, and, yet, do I still see a glowing recommendation for Love Letter in the OP?

Does Love Letter stop being awesome in Fall or something?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

jivjov posted:

Does Love Letter stop being awesome in Fall or something?

I think it's more of a complaint about how it's now AEG's Munchkin, with god knows how many different reskins that are regularly shoved down the gullet of players/FLGS everywhere.

Edit: That being said, I don't think this necessarily makes it a bad game and goons can still recommend it, but maybe the list needs some refreshing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Don't worry, I talked to tekopo the other day about it and the new thread will be Scrabble and Illuminati themed

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
To add to the collection discussion: I own 13, of which 3 were bought this year. I might have more but:

1: I am a cheapskate and I hate buying a game if someone already owns it unless it's stellar or getting played with a different group.
2: I got back into board games in a serious way only right before an extended time without income for various reasons, mostly school.
3: I don't have much room. Hoping to rectify that soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LuiCypher posted:

I think it's more of a complaint about how it's now AEG's Munchkin, with god knows how many different reskins that are regularly shoved down the gullet of players/FLGS everywhere.

Edit: That being said, I don't think this necessarily makes it a bad game and goons can still recommend it, but maybe the list needs some refreshing.

We could probably stand a new thread. Maybe for the 3rd anniversary in December?